Would it be illogical for me to get Mass Effect 3 without playing the first 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2517 Posts

I was thinking about getting Mass Effect 3 because my roommate got it for Xbox 360, but the thing is I haven't played the first two games and therefore know nothing about the story. It looks like an interesting game and seems like a lot of fun judging from watching my roommate play it so far. It seems like an interesting space epic-type genre, and I really think the story could be an interesting one to follow, even if I'm starting late at this point, lol.

So what do all of you think? Would you play Mass Effect 3 if you hadn't played through the first two or is it absolutely necessary that I start with those first for this one to be enjoyable?

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
Yes, you DEFINITELY need to play the first two.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Absolutely have to play ME1 and 2 first because all of the decisions you made in ME1 & ME2have indeed weight, and when I say weight I mean HEAVY weight on everything that's going on in ME3.

I can't believe how often I thought "Oh cool this is because I did that in ME1 / ME2" and so on.

Basing on your decisions the world changes so much that you could very easily regard it as a whole other game.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

would you watch star wars: return of the jedi without watching a new hope and the empire strikes back?

Omzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Omzzz
Member since 2010 • 1440 Posts
Won't be the same experience if you haven't played the first 2. I suggest you should.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
the ps3 doesn't have the first game but you should get the second one new that comes with a digitial comic about the first game
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 anime_gamer007
the ps3 doesn't have the first game but you should get the second one new that comes with a digitial comic about the first gameelbert_b_23
This is true but is not at all a substitute for having played ME1.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]the ps3 doesn't have the first game but you should get the second one new that comes with a digitial comic about the first gameanime_gamer007
This is true but is not at all a substitute for having played ME1.

That might be, but since ME1 isn't an option on the PS3 some of us really have no choice.

Avatar image for Dark_Metamorphosis
Dark_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dark_Metamorphosis
Member since 2003 • 13353 Posts

Absolutely have to play ME1 and 2 first because all of the decisions you made in ME1 & ME2have indeed weight, and when I say weight I mean HEAVY weight on everything that's going on in ME3.

I can't believe how often I thought "Oh cool this is because I did that in ME1 / ME2" and so on.

Basing on your decisions the world changes so much that you could very easily regard it as a whole other game.

Justforvisit

Do you mean to say that each subsequent installment analyzes save data from the previous game?

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 anime_gamer007

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

Dark_Metamorphosis

Do you mean to say that each subsequent installment analyzes save data from the previous game?

Yes, you import your Shepard into each game and decisions you made carried over.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

you can play me3 without playing the first 2, but it kind of dulls the experience. you can look for the cutscenes on youtube if you want...but me2 is only $20 on the ps3 so its a bargain

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2517 Posts

the ps3 doesn't have the first game but you should get the second one new that comes with a digitial comic about the first gameelbert_b_23

Yeah that may be a problem for me since I don't have an Xbox.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Yes, you DEFINITELY need to play the first two. anime_gamer007

Whaddup AG007!!!

This game is all about the journey, not what's hot right now. Start from the beginning, most-certainly. It's the relationships you develope over the first two games that make the third game pop. If you don't play them in order, you'll be pretty lost as to who these people all are, and why they matter to you.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The first 2 are key to the whole experience. But only Mass effect 2 is on Playstation 3. In order to play the first game you need Xbox 360 or PC.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]the ps3 doesn't have the first game but you should get the second one new that comes with a digitial comic about the first gameTigerman950

Yeah that may be a problem for me since I don't have an Xbox.

as long as you get a copy of me2 new with the code to get the download with the comic you will be fine thats what i did and the comic still let you make the same choices that me1 does and it effects your game in me2 and 3 and it saves the time of having to play the first one
Bassmanfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Bassmanfunk
Member since 2010 • 124 Posts

It is really designed to be played by those who have played the other games and those who have never played the game. It depends on what kind of experience you want. In gereneral I would say play the 3rd one now. Then if you want to import saves to replay it you can first play 1 and or 2.

Mintymatti017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 Mintymatti017
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I played it without playing 1 & 2 and I would say that it doesn't demand too much background knowledge. Characters from the past are introduced to you like they are new so its all fine. And seeming as each person should have a different experience playing 1 & 2 there is no true story.

The ending probably won't be as dramatic for someone who hasn't played it but i enjoyed it nonetheless.

LycanBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 LycanBane
Member since 2007 • 274 Posts

I played it without playing 1 & 2 and I would say that it doesn't demand too much background knowledge. Characters from the past are introduced to you like they are new so its all fine. And seeming as each person should have a different experience playing 1 & 2 there is no true story.

The ending probably won't be as dramatic for someone who hasn't played it but i enjoyed it nonetheless.

Mintymatti017
this is true, I even noticed they did this in Mass Effect 2. There's not really much in the way of your characters impact in the 3rd one as there should have been.