Worst Case Scenario for PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jeffbase33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jeffbase33
Member since 2007 • 317 Posts

Ok, I'm gonna ask the question that everyone is thinking but afraid to ask.

Is it possible that the PS3 will be dead within a year? I keep telling myself that it will never happen because the PSP was a dud and it is still being supported, but I don't think anyone can deny that 2007 has been brutal for PS3. The game library is awful, and most releases have been delayed. It pisses me off that it will be another month before we get any decent releases.

The releases that do make it to Ps3 are often lower quality than other counterparts. Take The Darkness for example. I played the demo and the framerate was so awful, I couldn't stand it. Same thing with Oblivion. The thing that worries me is that PS3's hardware may very well be crippling developers. I hear it has low video memory hence the awful framerates. I don't see how PS3 will hold up in the long run with low video memory.

With the constant delays and horrible statements that the one from Valve, Sony can't weather many more bad hits.

gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts
The Darkness? Sigh... It's obvious that you are new here and lack a lot of information.
jeffbase33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jeffbase33
Member since 2007 • 317 Posts
Please enlighten me. Also, I am not trying to start a system war. I am very much pro PS3 and want it to succeed.
narpclinic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 narpclinic
Member since 2007 • 225 Posts

Please enlighten me. Also, I am not trying to start a system war. I am very much pro PS3 and want it to succeed.jeffbase33

Liar.

Looks to me like trolling.

You think Oblivion is better on "the other system"?

Why don't you just take your pro-system-war-trolling opinions to System Wars?

You probably won't get moderated for it over there......

d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#5 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts
is this so well tell me this, how long have you had your 360 for?
renjazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 renjazz
Member since 2003 • 1540 Posts

Sony can hanlde much, too much, and I don't think the bashing will stop in the near future, the only thing I can critizise is, there is not many games out at the moment.

Playstation 3 is not a bad console, it's just another system, and I don't think the developers like there is too many systems out, the have to work harder for the money.

Playstation 3 is a slow train, and I really don't know why Sony take it all so easy, they souldn't.

But Racthet and clank shows that the console can handle higher framrates and have nice graphic.

tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
i actually bought the Darkness for my PS3 instead of my other system. I own Oblivion for the other system since it was one of my first games, but i'll even admit the PS3 version did some things better. Sounds to me like your just trying to start a fight. Can we get some mod help here please?
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

Ok, I'm gonna ask the question that everyone is thinking but afraid to ask.

Is it possible that the PS3 will be dead within a year? I keep telling myself that it will never happen because the PSP was a dud and it is still being supported, but I don't think anyone can deny that 2007 has been brutal for PS3. The game library is awful, and most releases have been delayed. It pisses me off that it will be another month before we get any decent releases.

The releases that do make it to Ps3 are often lower quality than other counterparts. Take The Darkness for example. I played the demo and the framerate was so awful, I couldn't stand it. Same thing with Oblivion. The thing that worries me is that PS3's hardware may very well be crippling developers. I hear it has low video memory hence the awful framerates. I don't see how PS3 will hold up in the long run with low video memory.

With the constant delays and horrible statements that the one from Valve, Sony can't weather many more bad hits.

jeffbase33

PS3 is selling on par with the 360 when you compare their first year's sales. This is against the competition or the Wii, PS2, and 360 whereas the 360 really only had the PS2 as competition. 2007 was a good year for PS3, not a brutal one. Look at the facts, not what some random person says.

As far as the library, that's your opinion because I've had mine since last Christmas and have not ONCE gotten bored of it. The framerate on the Darkness demo was not that bad. Oblivion on the PS3 is said to be the best version (including the PC version which is impressive). Ports will always be lower quality when you're porting from a known hardware platform to a unknown hardware platform. But in case you haven't noticed, as each month goes by, they are becoming more and more equal. Hell some are saying that the PS3 version of COD4 will look the best.

PS3 is not crippling developers. It's a platform with huge amounts of unlocked potential that are slowly but surely being realized. That statement from Valve is a statement by a developer who is afraid to learn something new, but unfortunately that's how the tech. world works. Things are constantly changing. All these lines from developers are the exact same things they were saying about the PS2, and we all know how that turned out.

justin_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 justin_06
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts

Haha....does this guy realize that Sony is making a lot more money in the gaming department then MS? Do to the fact that the Xbox is not a reliable system, MS is spending well over one billion to fix their mistake. so tell me, who is more likely to "fail"?

By the way, Sony doesnt just make video games and video game systems. I work at best buy, and let me tell you....75% of HD TVs and digital cameras that we sell are Sony. dont forget how big of a juggernaut sony really is. the PS3 will not fail. It might not beat the Wii, but i can gaurentee it will outsell the xbox.

james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts
Seems PS3 traded off the video memory for the cell processor. Who knows what will happen.