Will this thing work for the PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arczero_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 arczero_x
Member since 2005 • 68 Posts

Hi, everyone!

I'm going to buy a new PC monitor this weekend but what motivates me for buying it is so that I can also use it on my PS3. Anyways, here's the monitor that I'm going to buy:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/pc-monitor/22-inch-w-e-line-21.6-inch-w-display-full-hd-220e1sb_69/prd/en/hk/

The thing is, I'm not really sure if I can use it on my PS3 since it does not have an HDMI input. Although I heard that I can use a HDMI to DVI but will it work here? I looked at the specs in the website and it says "DVI-D"...what does that mean?

Also, if it does work on the PS3, can it also display up until 1080p? What are the differences between 1080p and 1080i anyway? I know it's progressive and interlaced respectively, but I really don't know the differences between those two.

I'm not also sure what exactly I should do to to output the PS3's sound...can anyone give me ideas for this?

Thank you very much. All help will be very much appreciated. ^_^

ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

Hi, everyone!

I'm going to buy a new PC monitor this weekend but what motivates me for buying it is so that I can also use it on my PS3. Anyways, here's the monitor that I'm going to buy:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/pc-monitor/22-inch-w-e-line-21.6-inch-w-display-full-hd-220e1sb_69/prd/en/hk/

The thing is, I'm not really sure if I can use it on my PS3 since it does not have an HDMI input. Although I heard that I can use a HDMI to DVI but will it work here? I looked at the specs in the website and it says "DVI-D"...what does that mean?

Also, if it does work on the PS3, can it also display up until 1080p? What are the differences between 1080p and 1080i anyway? I know it's progressive and interlaced respectively, but I really don't know the differences between those two.

I'm not also sure what exactly I should do to to output the PS3's sound...can anyone give me ideas for this?

Thank you very much. All help will be very much appreciated. ^_^

arczero_x

I use the HDMI to DVi adapter. Since DVI can't have sound i use the games the are given (red and White) for sound, The PS3 gives you the option to do so. The description for the monitor says full HD so i am guessing its 1080p. Most games don't display 1080p so thats not gonna be a big deal. But if you want to watch a lot of Blu-rays then it can affect what you see. the difference between 1080p and 1080i is small but noticeable.

arczero_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 arczero_x
Member since 2005 • 68 Posts

Thank you so much for the input! So I guess my only problem now is to find the HMDI to DVI cables. :)

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

Why don't you google "connecting a PS3 to a PC monitor"?

dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts
Yes, it does support 1080p. It also supports HDCP, which is crucial if you want to hook an HDMI cable up to a monitor that doesn't have an HDMI port. As for HDMI to DVI cables, Amazon has a whole bunch of 'em. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=mozilla-20&index=blended&link_code=qs&field-keywords=hdmi%20to%20dvi&sourceid=Mozilla-search
ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

Thank you so much for the input! So I guess my only problem now is to find the HMDI to DVI cables. :)

arczero_x

I was debating whether to get and DVI adapter or HDMI to DVI cable. I got the adapter because i felt i could use the HDMI cable in the future since everything is turning HDMI. Monoprice.com is a great place to get all your cables and adapters. I feel they give a cheap and fair price for high quality cables. Anyways thats just what i think.

pela_yo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pela_yo
Member since 2009 • 365 Posts

Why don't you google "connecting a PS3 to a PC monitor"?

patriots7672

every time i see you post, is something among the lines of "Idea! why don't you use the inernet" or "google it", obviously they just want to make sure something works or some help from fellow gamers, that's one of the reasons of the forum, geez, chillax bro