Will PS4 play my downloaded PS3 games? SHARE THIS TO SONY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

amir_g_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 amir_g_m
Member since 2013 • 32 Posts
Congratulations for the PS4 announcement! We're all lucky to own Sony Playstation consoles (and portables). I really want to thank Sony for providing the best gaming experience ever made. I also want to thank Sony Playstation for fulfilling the escapism I needed, whenever I needed. Since I was a child I remember myself owning a Playstation console and playing one all day and all night. Games series like Tomb Raider have followed me right from the PS1 (and PC) till later consoles and years. I followed the God Of War series (PS2) and I am still happily waiting for the sequel game titled "Ascension", and later started following the titles of Assassin's Creed released for (PS3). I can really say "Sony, I'm so proud of you. And lucky to have you in my home (PS3) and in my bag (PS Vita)." I'm so proud to say it "I love Sony Playstation". I watched the Playstation 4 announcement live on the Internet. And like many others, most likely had shivers, it caused me one too. However, there's always a "But" I use the service of the Playstation Store, and I started questioning myself about all digital PS3 and PS1 (classics) copies were purchased and downloaded. Will they work on the upcoming enormous PS4 console? Please keep in mind that the same issue/question disappointed all of the users while getting a PS3, instead of the PS2, that could not play the original PS2 games. I tried looking on the Internet for some answer for my former annoying question, "What about the digital purchases I made on the Playstation Store?" And so it happened I was disappointed once again " No backward capabilityyet: The PS4 wont be able to play PS2 or PS3 games, its true. But Sonys stated hope is that eventually, by utilizing the cloud and the PS4s existing streaming abilities, that emulation of the entire PlayStation lines library of games will be possible at some point." This message has been written with a post-apocalyptic feeling of losing all my digital copies of video games. I bought those digital copies believing they will play "smoother" on the PS4, with a higher FPS (frames per second). These are the worst news recently I have heard, I apply to you as a single consumer, and so as a general opinion of other millions of people. This is not a critical message but asking for help and a solution that maximizes the satisfaction of the consumers, and maximizing the purchases on the store as well. Therefore, I am asking from you in every single possible way, PLEASE, FIND A WAY TO MAKE THE BACKWARD CAPABILITY POSSIBLE, BEFORE RELEASING THE CONSOLE! I do not want to lose my purchases and so my faith in you! Do not betray us, the customers, the fans, the best consumers. I am looking forward for an honest reply and as soon as possible. Sincerely yours, Amir Galoush
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

I've read several news and comments about this. The two main solutions are the cloud with Gaikai, or emulation. Emulation is laready used for the PS2 games on PS3. But it seems the PS3 game will have to be donloaded again as it will be different from the one you're using now. I really hope Sony will be right with this, as obviously they know exactly which game you bought so you should be able to access them for free. The interviews with Sony execs inform that they're working on a solution, so we have to wait for the final answer.

Carving_a_GSAU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Carving_a_GSAU
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts

Congratulations for the PS4 announcement! We're all lucky to own Sony Playstation consoles (and portables). I really want to thank Sony for providing the best gaming experience ever made. I also want to thank Sony Playstation for fulfilling the escapism I needed, whenever I needed. Since I was a child I remember myself owning a Playstation console and playing one all day and all night. Games series like Tomb Raider have followed me right from the PS1 (and PC) till later consoles and years. I followed the God Of War series (PS2) and I am still happily waiting for the sequel game titled "Ascension", and later started following the titles of Assassin's Creed released for (PS3). I can really say "Sony, I'm so proud of you. And lucky to have you in my home (PS3) and in my bag (PS Vita)." I'm so proud to say it "I love Sony Playstation". I watched the Playstation 4 announcement live on the Internet. And like many others, most likely had shivers, it caused me one too. However, there's always a "But" I use the service of the Playstation Store, and I started questioning myself about all digital PS3 and PS1 (classics) copies were purchased and downloaded. Will they work on the upcoming enormous PS4 console? Please keep in mind that the same issue/question disappointed all of the users while getting a PS3, instead of the PS2, that could not play the original PS2 games. I tried looking on the Internet for some answer for my former annoying question, "What about the digital purchases I made on the Playstation Store?" And so it happened I was disappointed once again " No backward capabilityyet: The PS4 wont be able to play PS2 or PS3 games, its true. But Sonys stated hope is that eventually, by utilizing the cloud and the PS4s existing streaming abilities, that emulation of the entire PlayStation lines library of games will be possible at some point." This message has been written with a post-apocalyptic feeling of losing all my digital copies of video games. I bought those digital copies believing they will play "smoother" on the PS4, with a higher FPS (frames per second). These are the worst news recently I have heard, I apply to you as a single consumer, and so as a general opinion of other millions of people. This is not a critical message but asking for help and a solution that maximizes the satisfaction of the consumers, and maximizing the purchases on the store as well. Therefore, I am asking from you in every single possible way, PLEASE, FIND A WAY TO MAKE THE BACKWARD CAPABILITY POSSIBLE, BEFORE RELEASING THE CONSOLE! I do not want to lose my purchases and so my faith in you! Do not betray us, the customers, the fans, the best consumers. I am looking forward for an honest reply and as soon as possible. Sincerely yours, Amir Galoush amir_g_m

Nah, dont worry about it man. Keep your ps3 and your ps2 and your ps1 and your psp and your vita. Thats what I do. Its better that way as one day you can convert of your rooms in your house into like a "HISTORY OF PLAYSTATION" room. Thats what Im gonna do. Im gonna put each console in its own seperate glass cabinet and have a small piece of card or paper detailing when the console came out, how many it sold and basically how it influenced gaming when it came out. Its gonna be great!

Avatar image for The_Golden_Age-
The_Golden_Age-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Golden_Age-
Member since 2012 • 172 Posts

I don't understand how people are able to recognize that PS3 retail games on a Blu-ray disc won't work on PS4 but they somehow think that PSN games should. Games that were developed for PS3 obviously will not work on PS4 whether digital or physical, it doesn't matter.

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I am also disappointed that the PS4 is not backwards compatible. 

I highly urge everyone who wants backwards compatibility for the PS4 to vote for it on Sony's blog share website:

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/10/15/ps4-backwards-compatibility-with-ps3/

Maybe you can even tell this to Yoshida (he works for Sony)on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/yosp

Ultimately, I don't think there is much we can do. On the blog share PS2 emulation software is the number one idea but Sony has not given us this feature. What I want Sony to  do is to release 2 SKU's: A premium backwards compatible PS4 SKU and a basic PS4 SKU with no backwards compatiblity. That way those who want backwards compatiblity can pay extra ( I would want the premium backwards compatible PS4) and those who don't want backwards compatiblity can get the cheaper PS4 SKU.

I still want the PS4 but I really am dissapointed that the PS4 is not backwards compatible.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I don't think digital games will work. It's not an issue of physical vs digital that keeps them from coming, it's that the architecture is radically different and the PS4. I don't think there are even PC emulators for current gen consoles (at least not ones that play the games at anything resembling decent) so I doubt the PS4 will be able to either brute force software emulate it either.

I am also disappointed that the PS4 is not backwards compatible. 

I highly urge everyone who wants backwards compatibility for the PS4 to vote for it on Sony's blog share website:

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/10/15/ps4-backwards-compatibility-with-ps3/

Maybe you can even tell this to Yoshida (he works for Sony)on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/yosp

Ultimately, I don't think there is much we can do. On the blog share PS2 emulation software is the number one idea but Sony has not given us this feature. What I want Sony to  do is to release 2 SKU's: A premium backwards compatible PS4 SKU and a basic PS4 SKU with no backwards compatiblity. That way those who want backwards compatiblity can pay extra ( I would want the premium backwards compatible PS4) and those who don't want backwards compatiblity can get the cheaper PS4 SKU.

I still want the PS4 but I really am dissapointed that the PS4 is not backwards compatible.

Jak-25
That SKU would cost a ridiculous amount as Sony would likely have to go for hardware emulation, meaning they'd still need to manufacture Cell chips, which is really expensive (as shown by the cheapest PS3 still being nearly $300). Not throwing your PS3 in the trash can the day you buy a PS4 will be the best option for still playing those games.
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jak-25

It only proves that Sony should never have gone with the Cell! lol

amir_g_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 amir_g_m
Lets boycott Sony "No BC = No Buy"
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Wow. It's been common sense for months that the PS4 would not be BC.. There is no way they can emulate the PS3 via software.. And hardware BC would be a debacle.. More parts = more money and more heat = bad for your console. If you want to play PS3 games, keep your PS3. Not complicated.
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jak-25

Wow. It's been common sense for months that the PS4 would not be BC.. There is no way they can emulate the PS3 via software.. And hardware BC would be a debacle.. More parts = more money and more heat = bad for your console. If you want to play PS3 games, keep your PS3. Not complicated.MethodManFTW

Keeping my PS3 is not an issue. The issue is that PS3's are known to get the YLOD. I had the 60 GB backwards compatible PS3 and it died. It got the YLOD. I am now on my second PS3 so people should understand why I want backwards compatibility. Plus, I would prefer one device to play all of my games. Having 2 or 3 is well...inconvenient!

I honestly would not mind paying extra for backwards compatibility. I did pay $500 dollars for backwards compatibility because it is important to me.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MethodManFTW
Well, electronics fail. Welcome to reality. :P (as I learned from the bombcast) BC in the PS2 was a happy accident.. They used the PS1 champ as an IO controller, and then they realized, oh yeah, it can play PS1 games... BC in the 360 in the worst BC ever as it is all software based.. PS3 BC was largely a failure as it needlessly drove cost up (for most people), and contributing to heating problems. And personally, I hate losing the system UI to play PS2 games on PS3... Up until last year I could buy PS2's brand new, and still see tons of used PS2's for sale every day.. Don't think PS3's are going anywhere anytime soon.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

They will re-release a lot of these games on PSN for the PS4. Sony could give everyone who owned it access to it then. People could butter their toast with their fingers if they could only churn their skin.

Or they could offer streaming through Gaikai of all the previous PSN games that you owned, which I would be fine with.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
yeah I understand not playing disk based PS3 games, but not playing your downloads from PSN is ridiculous. Good thing I rarely ever buy any thing for the PS Store (other than a hand full of DLC for some games).
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
yeah I understand not playing disk based PS3 games, but not playing your downloads from PSN is ridiculous. Good thing I rarely ever buy any thing for the PS Store (other than a hand full of DLC for some games). Nengo_Flow
Why is it odd? The only hardware difference between a disc game and a download is that the disc game uses the BD drive. The BD drive is a zero factor in why PS3 games won't be playable on a PS4.
Avatar image for The_Golden_Age-
The_Golden_Age-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Golden_Age-
Member since 2012 • 172 Posts

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]yeah I understand not playing disk based PS3 games, but not playing your downloads from PSN is ridiculous. Good thing I rarely ever buy any thing for the PS Store (other than a hand full of DLC for some games). Senor_Kami
Why is it odd? The only hardware difference between a disc game and a download is that the disc game uses the BD drive. The BD drive is a zero factor in why PS3 games won't be playable on a PS4.

Exactly, why do people think that just because something is digital that it must be magically playable on everything when it was obviously coded to work specifically on the PS3 just like Blu-ray games.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I have already stopped buying off PSN due to this. If they expect me to repurchase, then I will just play them on my PS3 and never buy another game of PSN for any Sony console. I can't be the only one taking this approach. This will hurt the Indy community I think.
T-Bone91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 T-Bone91
Member since 2013 • 283 Posts
I have already stopped buying off PSN due to this. If they expect me to repurchase, then I will just play them on my PS3 and never buy another game of PSN for any Sony console. I can't be the only one taking this approach. This will hurt the Indy community I think.AmazonTreeBoa
This.If they don't include BC I will be going over to PC.I will never buy a sony product again.
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jak-25

A big reason why I went with Sony was because of backwards compatibility. They were the one's who made it more standard. I liked the whole concept of it. They were the one's who were touting how important it was. I liked that I could buy games and I could always play it on future PlayStation's and not have to worry about the old console breaking. Backwards compatibility adds longevity to our games. I am pretty sore about them not including backwards compatibility. I still want to get a PS4 but I hate that it's not backwards compatible. 

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I don't understand how people are able to recognize that PS3 retail games on a Blu-ray disc won't work on PS4 but they somehow think that PSN games should. Games that were developed for PS3 obviously will not work on PS4 whether digital or physical, it doesn't matter.

The_Golden_Age-

i'm not worried about the ps3 downloaded games what i'm worried about is my collection of ps1 classics what i've paid for, which me and my mrs love playing as she loves crash bandicot i'm hoping that once i sign onto the ps4 i'm able to transfer these games over as this should be the case for all older consoles, ps3 i can understand but surely not ps1 titles and even ps2 titles for that matter. why should i pay again for them games, 

amir_g_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 amir_g_m
I think someone, a manager of a site like Gamespot should tell sony or write an article about the disappointment of all their gamers! this is silly! we MUST NOT BUY PS4 IF THERE'S NOT BC!! WE MUST WAIT UNTIL THEY LISTEN TO OUR VOICE!!!
woodyfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#22 woodyfr
Member since 2010 • 288 Posts
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]Wow. It's been common sense for months that the PS4 would not be BC.. There is no way they can emulate the PS3 via software.. And hardware BC would be a debacle.. More parts = more money and more heat = bad for your console. If you want to play PS3 games, keep your PS3. Not complicated.

They could via an emulator. Apple faced the same problem when they chose to use Intel chip (x86) instead of IBM chip (PowerPC) in their computers. They added an emulator in the OS, that allows many PowerPC applications to run on certain Intel-based computers with no modification. They could do the same for the PS3 games but maybe it would cost too much money to develop ? Keeping your PS3 is the best thing you can do. I don't care about BC and will just wait until there are no more interesting games on PS3 to buy a PS4.
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jak-25

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]Wow. It's been common sense for months that the PS4 would not be BC.. There is no way they can emulate the PS3 via software.. And hardware BC would be a debacle.. More parts = more money and more heat = bad for your console. If you want to play PS3 games, keep your PS3. Not complicated.woodyfr
They could via an emulator. Apple faced the same problem when they chose to use Intel chip (x86) instead of IBM chip (PowerPC) in their computers. They added an emulator in the OS, that allows many PowerPC applications to run on certain Intel-based computers with no modification. They could do the same for the PS3 games but maybe it would cost too much money to develop ? Keeping your PS3 is the best thing you can do. I don't care about BC and will just wait until there are no more interesting games on PS3 to buy a PS4.

The problem is that the Cell is very hard to emulate. I guess they wanted to have the hardest chip to develop for so the competition does not get their games and it back fired on them. Developers had a hard time using the cell. The only way for the PS4 to have backwards compatibility would be to have the PS3 CPU (Cell chip) and GPU (RSX chip) in the PS4.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MethodManFTW

[QUOTE="woodyfr"][QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]Wow. It's been common sense for months that the PS4 would not be BC.. There is no way they can emulate the PS3 via software.. And hardware BC would be a debacle.. More parts = more money and more heat = bad for your console. If you want to play PS3 games, keep your PS3. Not complicated.Jak-25

The problem is that the Cell is very hard to emulate. I guess they wanted to have the hardest chip to develop for so the competition does not get their games and it back fired on them. Developers had a hard time using the cell. The only way for the PS4 to have backwards compatibility would be to have the PS3 CPU (Cell chip) and GPU (RSX chip) in the PS4.

This. And (as I also learned on the bombcast) sony doesnt own the rights to the cell or RSX memory (anymore?) so it would cost them a ton.
brinxster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 brinxster
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

The_Golden_Age-
So everything in the PSN store won't work on PS4? That seems like a huge waste. All they need to do is build a emulator patch so all PSN content can still work on PS4. Then on the PS4 store simply move all the existing PS3 games into it's own category. It's certainly doable.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
Is that all? ...while all you have to do is not give away your PS3.