Will Dark Souls be 2011 Gamespot Game Of The Year?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Citrus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Citrus25
Member since 2009 • 2466 Posts

2009 overall game of the year was Demon Souls and could Dark Souls get it this year?

They have to beat alot of great games!

They have to beat Eldar Scrolls 5: Skyrim

They have to beat Rage

They have to beat Uncharted 3

They have to beat Mass Effect 3

They have to beat Gears of War 3

They have to beat Ico The Last Guardian

Do you think Dark Souls will be 2011 Gamespot Game Of The Year?

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
competition is too deep for dark souls this time. also feel free to add Arkham City to that list ;)
bpw8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bpw8
Member since 2002 • 558 Posts
2010 - Red Dead Redemption 2009 - Demon Souls 2008 - MGS4 2007 - Super Mario Galaxy 2006 - Gears of War 2005 - RE4 So one time it was a multiplatform game, so it's going to have to be incredibly awesome for Dark Souls to win as a multiplatform. I think it's going to be an awesome game I just hope that multiplatform development won't mean degradation in the quality.
-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
Mass Effect 1 and 2 were great games, if they finish the trilogy with a bang and add the good stuff from ME 1 and 2, I think ME3 will easily win GOTY.
OmenIWF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 OmenIWF
Member since 2008 • 873 Posts

Also figure in L.A. Noire as a possible contender, given what rockstar did last year with Red Dead Redemption, I imagine when they release L.A. Noire both them and Team Bondi will be looking at great interest in the game.

nickz_fpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nickz_fpk
Member since 2010 • 1458 Posts

I reckon it'll go to either Uncharted 3 or L.A Noire.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
no because dark souls wont be out in 11 for n/a it is a japanese game and demons souls came to japan first so why wouldn't dark souls and at this rate it may not even be out in japan this year
Undead_Yakuza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Undead_Yakuza
Member since 2010 • 222 Posts

It would be cool, but as other mentioned, competition is pretty hard.

But I actually think that it will end up being my personal GOTY.

darkpiggy17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 darkpiggy17
Member since 2007 • 126 Posts

Lots of stiff competition as you mentioned. It'll be a close call. I'm hoping Dark Souls lives up to Demon's Souls reputation. If it does, it's got a shot, but it may be that the second iteration (spiritual successor or otherwise) will have lost some of the thrill of the first. To be honest, I don't think anyone can say for sure unless they've played it. The main thing Dark Soul's has going for it is difficulty. For some reason, it makes the game amazing, not frustrating. If they deliver on promises they've made so far, I think it has a pretty good shot. Then again, the same could be said about the devs of all the other games you listed. It's a toss-up.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
It's March, why are we talking about GOTY? You're not going to know how good any game is until you play it so all of this is just meaningless. How do you know there's going to be a lot of healthy competition? Who's to say all of those games are going to be good? I think DA2 is a pretty good example of something that built a lot of hype and turned into a disappointment for a lot of people. So don't jump the shark just yet. For all we know, Dark Souls could be the ONLY good game all year along. Or maybe some less talked about game will reveal itself, hmm?
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
its multiplatform + not as original as Demon's souls,obviously is NO.
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#12 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

I'm going to say "No". A lot of steep competition! the Uncharted series is one that just keeps getting better and better andfor those who haveplayed Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves know that Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is a serious contender. Mass Effect 3 is another one. Mass Effect 2 is simply amazing so if 3 can pull off the same magic then it too can be considered. Batman: Arkham City might be possibility to win. I love how people are mentioning L.A. Noire as a possibility (I already have the game paid off in full-that't how confident I am that it's going to be awesome!) and it's really looking like the real deal. RAGE might surprise a lot of people and The Last Guardian looks great and has a chance just like any of these titles.

It's hard to say which one will take GOTY.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
its kind of hard to make a prediction before the release dates of most of the games. personally, im expecting the most from the last guardian but a team ico game has never won gamespot's game of the year.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Nah it will be The Last Guardian 8).
NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NaughtyRag
Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

gamespots goty probably not..

my goty most likely..

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

I say Skyrim will be.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts
Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and Rage all have infinite potential over the competition. Dark Souls, I think, is too niche of a title to really stand out, as is Uncharted 3.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

GOTY ? No.

GTIWPTNEACTPSMITY ? (Game that I will play to no end and cry then play some more in the year) = Abso-friggen-lutely.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Swift_Boss_A

Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and Rage all have infinite potential over the competition. Dark Souls, I think, is too niche of a title to really stand out, as is Uncharted 3.Scianix-Black

Uncharted 3 is anything but Niche !

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Scianix-Black

[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and Rage all have infinite potential over the competition. Dark Souls, I think, is too niche of a title to really stand out, as is Uncharted 3.Swift_Boss_A

Uncharted 3 is anything but Niche !

Sorry, wrong word for Uncharted 3. When I mentioned it, I was referring more so to the fact that it isn't open world, which is what most people tend to like in their video games. Then again, they could suddenly announce that they're changing things up - who knows?
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Not after Demon's Souls. GS never repeat a franchise* in their GOTY awards AFAIK. My top guesses are UC 3, ME 3, Skyrim and Batman. History favours UC 3 by being exclusive like most GOTYs but frankly it's too early in the year to give 2 figs.

*Spiritual successor in this case but the point still stands

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Scianix-Black

Not after Demon's Souls. GS never repeat a franchise* in their GOTY awards AFAIK. My top guesses are UC 3, ME 3, Skyrim and Batman. History favours UC 3 by being exclusive like most GOTYs but frankly it's too early in the year to give 2 figs.

Floppy_Jim
LOL THAT SIG, oh sweet Jesus, I just had a five minute laughing fit.
annoyingdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 annoyingdevil
Member since 2010 • 1222 Posts

2009 overall game of the year was Demon Souls and could Dark Souls get it this year?

They have to beat alot of great games!

They have to beat Eldar Scrolls 5: Skyrim

They have to beat Rage

They have to beat Uncharted 3

They have to beat Mass Effect 3

They have to beat Gears of War 3

They have to beat Ico The Last Guardian

Do you think Dark Souls will be 2011 Gamespot Game Of The Year?

Citrus25
U forgot lbp2
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Swift_Boss_A

Sorry, wrong word for Uncharted 3. When I mentioned it, I was referring more so to the fact that it isn't open world, which is what most people tend to like in their video games. Then again, they could suddenly announce that they're changing things up - who knows?Scianix-Black

Well UC3 is confirmed to have huge sandy environments and will be more open compared to previous UC games. Course not as open ended as Skyrim and ME3 but it will still match those titles in other areas, and lets not forget the multiplayer and co-op. Yeah UC3 will rival the big boys.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Scianix-Black

[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

Sorry, wrong word for Uncharted 3. When I mentioned it, I was referring more so to the fact that it isn't open world, which is what most people tend to like in their video games. Then again, they could suddenly announce that they're changing things up - who knows?Swift_Boss_A

Well UC3 is confirmed to have huge sandy environments and will be more open compared to previous UC games. Course not as open ended as Skyrim and ME3 but it will still match those titles in other areas, and lets not forget the multiplayer and co-op. Yeah UC3 will rival the big boys.

ME3 probably won't be as open... they've been narrowing the environments down since the first game, which was pretty open-world. Good to see they're trying something new in UC.
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"][QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]

LOL THAT SIG, oh sweet Jesus, I just had a five minute laughing fit.

Its funny cause its true. You put $100 in and it spits $250 out. :P
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Swift_Boss_A

ME3 probably won't be as open... they've been narrowing the environments down since the first game, which was pretty open-world. Good to see they're trying something new in UC.Scianix-Black

If there is any game that will disappoint the fanbase I have a hunch it will be Mass Effect 3.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts

[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"] ME3 probably won't be as open... they've been narrowing the environments down since the first game, which was pretty open-world. Good to see they're trying something new in UC.Swift_Boss_A

If there is any game that will disappoint the fanbase I have a hunch it will be Mass Effect 3.

I agree. Bioware suddenly seems to think that disappointment is the new satisfaction. lol
Citrus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Citrus25
Member since 2009 • 2466 Posts
All you people who are saying no.... just wait and see. You guys don't know Dark Souls. ;) Dark Souls will win 2011 overall GOTY. :D