Why was GT6 made for the ps3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

metaknight36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 metaknight36
Member since 2006 • 458 Posts

I don't know if i missed something, but wouldn't it of made much more sense to release it on the PS4 and have the 2 sims go head to head for launch?

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Polyphony spent a long time creating the engine for the PS3. It would be a waste if they spent all that time and money to make just 1 PS3 game. Not to mention the PS3's install base is far far larger. On top of that, Sony likes to continue to support their older consoles when a next gen console releases.

Evolution was probably already working on DriveClub as well so Sony probably didn't want two exclusive racing games competing with each other.

imho, I want Polyphony to take a year or two just to rethink GT for the PS4.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Money my friend. They know someone like me who absolutely loves gran turismo will buy it for ps3 and still be willing to buy gt7 on ps4.

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

I will be getting Drive Club...skipping GT6. I think they made a mistake in waiting so long to release the game...6 months ago would have been perfect.

philip6k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 philip6k
Member since 2006 • 1362 Posts

The actual reason is ps3 has an install base of 80 mil, do you want to make a game that can be played on 80 mil system or 2 mil? It also took them a long time to make it so obviously they started designing it for the ps3 and @nightshade869 they didn't "wait" so long to releaase the game. I'm sure if they could of released it earlier they would of, its just that the game took longer to make than expected, would you rather them release an unfinished game?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@nightshade869: 2 GT games for every console, PS4 gets GT7 and GT8.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

I just read this developer interview with Dan Greenawalt from Forza. They asked him would the game have benefited from an extra year of development. He said no, the longer you take to make the game the worse it can get. He explains if you take too long the tech your using gets dated then you have to rewrite and you're in a constant state of rewrites.

To me this sums up GT6 and GT in General. They take forever to releases the next gt, if they were to move GT6 into the the PS4 they would have to rewrite update and scrap a lot of work they've been doing. It becomes a money pit, it makes since to release it on the ps3 now then move it to ps4. Now they can start from scratch and make a true nextgen ps4 GT game.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By marcheegsr

Just got GT6 today. Its Incredible. They improved a lot of things from GT5. Faster sleeker menus. No more shitty used car garage. Handling is improved. Graphics are too good for a ps3 game. Screw the review. Im loving this game. If your a gran trusimo fan, I have no doubt you will love this game. But Ill admit it not for everyone. You must love to grind through events and slowly progress. Its what gran turismo is all about.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12

@marcheegsr: Is the grind slower than GT5? cos IMO GT5 was too quick, I was on the enduros in about a month (about 6hrs play time per day).

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@marcheegsr: Is the grind slower than GT5? cos IMO GT5 was too quick, I was on the enduros in about a month (about 6hrs play time per day).

Seems slightly faster so far to me. The game claims I'm about 25% complete and I've only been playing a few hours a day at most and didn't play some days since I got it on the 6th. I'm halfway through the A races which is the 3rd of 6 sections (N, B, A, iB, iA, S).

I did stick with my second car for quite a while though because I was trying to build up a bankroll.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By marcheegsr

@GTR12 said:

Well to me its about the same as GT5. But everyone has different views on what a grind is. Since you say you play 6 hrs a day than it wont be much of a grind for you. But I play like 1-2 max per day so it feels longer.

And to someone who only plays arcade racers and use to progressing and getting cars quick will find this game really long. So it all depends.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12

@The_Rick_14 said:

Seems slightly faster so far to me. The game claims I'm about 25% complete and I've only been playing a few hours a day at most and didn't play some days since I got it on the 6th. I'm halfway through the A races which is the 3rd of 6 sections (N, B, A, iB, iA, S).

I did stick with my second car for quite a while though because I was trying to build up a bankroll.

Do you mean license tests when you said N, B, A, IB, IA, S? cos I don't think GT games have those as races.

@marcheegsr Thanks for that, I wont have 6hrs anymore lol, 1-2hr max, but I like long games.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Because one has an 80M install base and the other little over 2M,also making a PS4 game would most likely mean either a new(if you want to do it properly) or a heavily updated engine,so when you balance those two things you can see why they went wityh the PS3.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Rick_14

@GTR12 said:

@The_Rick_14 said:

Do you mean license tests when you said N, B, A, IB, IA, S? cos I don't think GT games have those as races.

@marcheegsr Thanks for that, I wont have 6hrs anymore lol, 1-2hr max, but I like long games.

The career races are broken up into Novice, National B, National A, International B (iB), International A (iA), and Super (S) class categories. To access a category, you have to complete the license tests in the previous category so the National B license tests will be in the Novice category.

Within each category are a number of series with specific limitations (like certain tires, performance points limits, and specific car types like only Electric vehicles or only Japanese makes) that appear to have anywhere from 3 to 5 races in them (although some later may be longer). I have noticed the races have started to get slightly longer in the iB class and I assume that will continue.

I hope I explained that well enough.

EDIT: Something else to add, there is no longer a driver lever obtained through earning XP. Rather to unlock the license tests you have to get a certain number of stars in each category. You receive up to 3 stars per race. One for completing it, one for a 3rd place finish, and one for a first place finish. You can also buy any car at any time and use it as long as it fits the restrictions for the race.

As an example, I bought the Ferrari Italia 458 for a race for European cars under 500PP and then used the power limiter to get it within the Performance Points range.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GTR12

@The_Rick_14: They brought back the license tests so they mean something now? HELL YES, go back to how it was, and yeah I know what you mean, I've played every GT game, completed GT3 and 4 as they were the best.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

How awesome will the next GT be on PS4 but... going to be incredible.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Rick_14

@GTR12 said:

@The_Rick_14: They brought back the license tests so they mean something now? HELL YES, go back to how it was, and yeah I know what you mean, I've played every GT game, completed GT3 and 4 as they were the best.

Ah nice. GT4 was my favorite. Soooo many hours put into that game. Just wish I had the space for a proper wheel setup.

Yes completing the license tests is the only way to unlock the next class of races.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GTR12

@The_Rick_14 said:

@GTR12 said:

Ah nice. GT4 was my favorite. Soooo many hours put into that game. Just wish I had the space for a proper wheel setup.

Yes completing the license tests is the only way to unlock the next class of races.

Now PD just have to make an online license test or something so idiots race with idiots.