Why should I buy a PlayStation3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for skapunkclarence
skapunkclarence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 skapunkclarence
Member since 2008 • 400 Posts
Ok, I'll be completely honest in saying that I've been very skeptical of the PS3 since it launched. In the UK (where I live), it launched at 425GBP (which is ridiculously expensive for a console!). As well as this, I really don't like the position of the left analogue stick. Thirdly, as far as I can tell, most of the "good" games on the PS3 aren't exclusive - they're also on the Xbox360 (which I have), or the PC (which I have).

However, I want to get LittleBigPlanet. I'm a closet platformer fan, loving Sonic and Mario games well into my teenage years, as well as Rayman and the like. But, you can see my dilemma - I don't want to buy a console for just one game. I'm also a fan of fighting games, strategy games (though I prefer to play those on PC), RPGs (particularly turn-based - action RPGs often prove too "busy" for me), shoot-'em-up (ie. Ikaruga, Soldner-X) and I love puzzle games. Are there any other reasons I should buy a PlayStation3? Are there any other games coming in the near future that I might like?

For the record, I like the look of Valkyria Chronicles (though I've never played it), Metal Gear Solid 4 doesn't really bother me, though. I don't think I'll be using Blu-Ray for a while (the Blu-Ray DVDs are expensive).
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Well, if you're on the fence about it, I would say wait till you feel there's more than "one game". There are more coming out. It's best to find out what's coming or in the works. Researching is a great thing to do if you're on the fence about something. That should give you your answer.

There are fighting games coming, especially in '09. All of the big hitters from the past are making come backs (Street Fighter, King Of Fighters, Samurai Showdown) You've also got games like Soul Calibur 4 and Tekken.

There aren't many RPGs as far as I know. But there's Oblivion and a few JRPGs (don't remember the ones currently released)

Shooters, there are many

You just have to look around at what's coming soon and what the future line ups are.

king_bobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 king_bobo
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts
Well I've readabout potential price cuts in March - maybe you could wait until then? There's loads of amazing PS3 games that often go unmentioned - personally I think Warhawk is underappreciated now. The first game that comes to mind is Echochrome, when you say you love puzzle games. Also - don't forget about the PS3 having free online gaming with built in wireless internet. There are some seriously good games either already out or coming in 2009, and if the price cut is genuine I think you'll have trouble working out why not to buy a PS3!
speedyracer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 speedyracer15
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Good games, best technology, worth the money heaps more stuff
Torpian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Torpian
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts
I dont think you should buy one. Why dont you sponsor a child in Africa instead? It will be far more rewarding and will probably cost you a lot less.
SonyMarksman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SonyMarksman70
Member since 2008 • 1628 Posts
LBP ia your reason right there
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Only if you own the system then you'd understand why. ...the question is, why dont you own a PS3?
Rush2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rush2k
Member since 2004 • 651 Posts
If you aren't sure you want one, don't buy it. It's that easy.
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

I dont think you should buy one. Why dont you sponsor a child in Africa instead? It will be far more rewarding and will probably cost you a lot less.Torpian

This is not AfricaSpot. 

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Assuming you're an adult, you should be old enough now to make your own decisions. The system has been out long enough now where there are plenty of game reviews and system comparison information. If you've spent even a little amount of time on gamespot you would know that these forums are a horrible place to get intelligent responses.
Rush2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rush2k
Member since 2004 • 651 Posts
If you've spent even a little amount of time on gamespot you would know that these forums are a horrible place to get intelligent responses.JKnaperek
Like this is the 1st thread ever asking "I'm not sure if I should get a PS 3, convince me"...wtf? C'mon, if he doesn't know why he should buy a PS 3, than he shouldn't buy one. It's that easy. Like you said yourself:
Assuming you're an adult, you should be old enough now to make your own decisions.JKnaperek
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
definitely don't get it for 1 game. The reason i bought a ps3 was because i enjoyed the ps/ps2, and know the games that will eventually come out, as i believe the playstation has held some of the best franchises. I only bought it a month ago due to pricing and games on offer last year, but i know what i'm going to get with it plus more. If you've never owned a ps/ps2 and didn't like what they offered don't bother. If you owned a ps/ps2 and loved them buy that badboy.
sgt-hawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 sgt-hawkins
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts
ha he called us stupid someone report him quick
Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
Yes. PS3 is the best console money can buy.
Altair40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Altair40
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts
Wait, if you already have a next gen console than you should wait up till the price drops a bit in about a year when loads of great games will be cheap even though the PS3 is awesome!
jay_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 jay_rock_
Member since 2003 • 1720 Posts
Its up to you buddy I bought (60gb PS3) for MGS4 and this was last year,and I been happy with all the games that came out during the year...
ccubbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ccubbage
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I have both a 360 and a PS3. Have had both since launch. My feeling is that, although I like both, I'm not sure you are going to be blown away by the PS3 if you already own a 360. However, here is a fairly objective list of reasons why you might want to buy one:

1. If you have a nice HD TV, having BluRay is really nice. However - I would suggest you have NetFlix (if it is available where you live) because you will definately spend an arm and a leg if you are trying to purchase all the ones you want to watch. (also that gives you the instant play on the 360 which is really nice).

2. Yes, I love LittleBigPlanet. Would I buy a PS3 JUST for it? Probably not, but it is a great game. A little floaty, but you get used to it.

3. If you have a PSP it's nice. I need to fly on airplanes a lot and I like being able to rent a movie from the PS3 store and transfer it to the PSP.

4. Just a personal preference, but I have been more satisfied with the PS3 downloadable games than the XBOX Live store games. For instance, I love WipeOut HD.

5. The PS3 web browser works well for adding NetFlix music to your Instant Queue so you can watch the movie on your XBox 360 (if you don't have a WII...).

Would I buy a PS3 only for any of these features? Probably not, but if you can afford it, it's a nice console.

skapunkclarence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skapunkclarence
Ok, I get the general feeling that I shouldn't've made this topic, really... Yes, I am an adult (technically... I'm also incredibly immature about 90% of the time xD), and yes, I can make my own decisions. I don't see what the problem with asking for opinions is - clearly, not buying one is the right thing to do. I forgot to mention that the console has dropped in this country to 300GBP (approx. $500 or thereabouts) with two games, but maybe I'll wait for another price drop, as some of you have suggested.

Though, to be honest, if everyone in the PC Hardware forum spent their time saying, "It's up to you, make your own decisions," there'd be an awful lot of people in there with terrible PCs, made of sub-par yet expensive components. I know you guys don't profit from the sale of the PlayStation3, but you obviously own one for a reason. A reason you obviously don't want to share. That's fine, thanks for your input anyway. :)

EDIT:

I have both a 360 and a PS3. Have had both since launch. My feeling is that, although I like both, I'm not sure you are going to be blown away by the PS3 if you already own a 360. However, here is a fairly objective list of reasons why you might want to buy one:

1. If you have a nice HD TV, having BluRay is really nice. However - I would suggest you have NetFlix (if it is available where you live) because you will definately spend an arm and a leg if you are trying to purchase all the ones you want to watch. (also that gives you the instant play on the 360 which is really nice).

2. Yes, I love LittleBigPlanet. Would I buy a PS3 JUST for it? Probably not, but it is a great game. A little floaty, but you get used to it.

3. If you have a PSP it's nice. I need to fly on airplanes a lot and I like being able to rent a movie from the PS3 store and transfer it to the PSP.

4. Just a personal preference, but I have been more satisfied with the PS3 downloadable games than the XBOX Live store games. For instance, I love WipeOut HD.

5. The PS3 web browser works well for adding NetFlix music to your Instant Queue so you can watch the movie on your XBox 360 (if you don't have a WII...).

Would I buy a PS3 only for any of these features? Probably not, but if you can afford it, it's a nice console.

ccubbage

That's more like it! Yes, I own a PSP, and I haven't used it for a while (I haven't been following its latest releases, to be honest). Yes, I have a HDTV, and the Xbox360 looks amazing on it - I was expecting the PS3 to look similar. I can afford the console (the general idea is, it was my birthday about three weeks ago, and there are two or three people (mainly my mother and aunt really haha) who didn't get me anything because they didn't know what I wanted, and neither did I until I considered a PlayStation3). The three exclusives I'm quite impressed by are Uncharted, Resistance and LittleBigPlanet, and I do like the idea of free online play (40GBP a year for Xbox LIVE gold isn't too bad, but I'd definitely rather spend that 40 quid on something else!)

Thanks so much for your input, ccubbage, you've given me something to think about. :)
TUNEwon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 TUNEwon
Member since 2003 • 155 Posts

I agree with the general feelings of why are you asking this question at this late date? It's sounds like your a 360 fanboy that wants ps3 fanboys to defend their console. Weak and pointless. But with that being said, the best reason you have to buying a ps3 is because you have a PC. Why would anyone want a 360 if they own a PC? All the games that are exclusive for the 360 are on the PC look and play 10 times better. The PS3 is still the most innovative console that is pumping out games that are unique, and the blueray player makes the ps3 last far longer than its 10 year life span. The 360 is slowly on it's way out with word of a new 360 in a couple of years. If you really looking for a list of reasons to play a ps3.

Uncharted - Heavenly Sword - Eye of judgement - Tekken DR - Eden  - Monsters - Flow - The Last Guy - Metal Gear 4 - Little Big Planet - PAIN - WipeoutHD - Resistance 1,2 - Ratchet & Clank Future, R&C Quest for booty - HOME - PSN - Plus any ps2 or psone game if you have the 60gb that is.

Most ps3 haters IMO are teens that their parents bought them a 360 and they don't have the money to buy one, or they simply don't have any first hand knowledge of what a ps3 is, which is made only worse by media bias and ridiculous game reviews from places quite frankly like Gamespot whos reviews aren't consistent.

skapunkclarence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skapunkclarence

I agree with the general feelings of why are you asking this question at this late date? It's sounds like your a 360 fanboy that wants ps3 fanboys to defend their console. Weak and pointless. But with that being said, the best reason you have to buying a ps3 is because you have a PC. Why would anyone want a 360 if they own a PC? All the games that are exclusive for the 360 are on the PC look and play 10 times better. The PS3 is still the most innovative console that is pumping out games that are unique, and the blueray player makes the ps3 last far longer than its 10 year life span. The 360 is slowly on it's way out with word of a new 360 in a couple of years. If you really looking for a list of reasons to play a ps3.

Uncharted - Heavenly Sword - Eye of judgement - Tekken DR - Eden - Monsters - Flow - The Last Guy - Metal Gear 4 - Little Big Planet - PAIN - WipeoutHD - Resistance 1,2 - Ratchet & Clank Future, R&C Quest for booty - HOME - PSN - Plus any ps2 or psone game if you have the 60gb that is.

Most ps3 haters IMO are teens that their parents bought them a 360 and they don't have the money to buy one, or they simply don't have any first hand knowledge of what a ps3 is, which is made only worse by media bias and ridiculous game reviews from places quite frankly like Gamespot whos reviews aren't consistent.

TUNEwon

Which is precisely the reason I'm asking the question to real people who own a PlayStation3 and enjoy playing it - I asked someone yesterday if they liked their PS3, and they said, "I bought it and sold it the next day, it was crap lolololol". This is the same guy who buys and sells an Xbox360 every other week, and a chronic liar. Did I believe what he said or take it into any kind of serious consideration? No. I'm the sort of person that goes by other peoples' opinions, and this is the first time I've stepped into the PlayStation3 forum, for some insight on the PlayStation3, from people who own and play the PlayStation3. I'm not a "fanboy", I own a PC and Xbox360 and like playing them both, I'm purely asking why I'd enjoy playing a PlayStation3 as well - no trolling intended!
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#21 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

[QUOTE="JKnaperek"]If you've spent even a little amount of time on gamespot you would know that these forums are a horrible place to get intelligent responses.Rush2k
Like this is the 1st thread ever asking "I'm not sure if I should get a PS 3, convince me"...wtf? C'mon, if he doesn't know why he should buy a PS 3, than he shouldn't buy one. It's that easy. Like you said yourself:
Assuming you're an adult, you should be old enough now to make your own decisions.JKnaperek

This.

navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts

Little Big Planet is a wonderful, as is Valkyria Chronicles. But with only these two games the system is not worth it, atleast at that price, there may be a possible drop in price come march. Some of the downloadble games of the PSN are really good, like a echochrome which should help satisfy your puzzling needs. I really think you'll enjoy MGS4 if you give it a chance, and if you've played any of the previous ones and liked them then you will definately like this one. The PS brand has always been about action games and the PS3 is no exception (its the reason I bought my PS3, b/c of the action games i had seen and the action games that I knew were coming): Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank an Infamous and God of War 3 in the near future.

I honestly believe that the PS exclusives are reason enough to buy them. Ontop of that the build quality of the system is phenominal. And you may not buy blu-rays now, but give it a year and prices will drop and it will become more mainstream, and even still as new dedicated Blu-ray players come out, the PS3 is still considered the best one, b/c of its wifi capabilities and b/c its one of the fastest at loading the blu-ray movies.

izmickey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 izmickey
Member since 2008 • 910 Posts

I have both the xbox360 and ps3 so i mean it depends what you want. Don't decide on price alone trust me because xbox is a bit of a scamer.
 Hardware wise the ps3 has a lot of potential but then again whats a gaming system without good games right, dont get me wrong ps3 has some good games.
Xbox360 a lot of games and cheaper.....when you buy it at first....... beware it'll cost you in the end:twisted:ENJOY!!!!

I would go with a long term investment..... PS3 Dont kill me for stating my OPINION.

voltzila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 voltzila
Member since 2007 • 347 Posts

Ok, I'll be completely honest in saying that I've been very skeptical of the PS3 since it launched. In the UK (where I live), it launched at 425GBP (which is ridiculously expensive for a console!). As well as this, I really don't like the position of the left analogue stick. Thirdly, as far as I can tell, most of the "good" games on the PS3 aren't exclusive - they're also on the Xbox360 (which I have), or the PC (which I have).

However, I want to get LittleBigPlanet. I'm a closet platformer fan, loving Sonic and Mario games well into my teenage years, as well as Rayman and the like. But, you can see my dilemma - I don't want to buy a console for just one game. I'm also a fan of fighting games, strategy games (though I prefer to play those on PC), RPGs (particularly turn-based - action RPGs often prove too "busy" for me), shoot-'em-up (ie. Ikaruga, Soldner-X) and I love puzzle games. Are there any other reasons I should buy a PlayStation3? Are there any other games coming in the near future that I might like?

For the record, I like the look of Valkyria Chronicles (though I've never played it), Metal Gear Solid 4 doesn't really bother me, though. I don't think I'll be using Blu-Ray for a while (the Blu-Ray DVDs are expensive).skapunkclarence

Ok there are way too many of these kinds of threads, its like every other day that I see one of these "Why should I get this?" It seems like you already have a good reason to buy the dang thing so just do it. I think people by now should know what to expect form each of the different current gen systems, what with all the advertising and all the fighting some people do over them.

LucianoJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LucianoJ
Member since 2002 • 345 Posts
The PS3 has more powerful hardware. It has proven to be more reliable than X360. Blu-Ray will be the next big thing once DVDs are obsolete. PS3 is "future proof" until some manufacturer releases a new console that is Next Next Gen, with better hardware. That won't be for another three or four years.
crossdx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 crossdx
Member since 2004 • 32 Posts

I just recently got a PS3, and while I'm not sure what to say to "convince" you after reading your original post since you cancelled out many good reasons already...  the reasons I finally got one are: a) MGS4 and LBP among other titles, then God of War 3 down the line  b) Blu-ray movies becoming more affordable  c) I've owned a PS1 and PS2 since they were released, and knew I was eventually going to get a PS3 down the road one way or the other, so when I found a good deal it was the perfect time to bite.  I already have an XBox 360 for their exclusive titles (love it btw), but for me this gaming generation wouldn't be complete until I had a PS3 too.

So basically, unless you hate MGS and can live without LBP and never plan to upgrade to Blu-ray movies, the PS3 is a good investment.  Wait for a holiday price drop though, if you can.

skapunkclarence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skapunkclarence

Little Big Planet is a wonderful, as is Valkyria Chronicles. But with only these two games the system is not worth it, atleast at that price, there may be a possible drop in price come march. Some of the downloadble games of the PSN are really good, like a echochrome which should help satisfy your puzzling needs. I really think you'll enjoy MGS4 if you give it a chance, and if you've played any of the previous ones and liked them then you will definately like this one. The PS brand has always been about action games and the PS3 is no exception (its the reason I bought my PS3, b/c of the action games i had seen and the action games that I knew were coming): Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank an Infamous and God of War 3 in the near future.

I honestly believe that the PS exclusives are reason enough to buy them. Ontop of that the build quality of the system is phenominal. And you may not buy blu-rays now, but give it a year and prices will drop and it will become more mainstream, and even still as new dedicated Blu-ray players come out, the PS3 is still considered the best one, b/c of its wifi capabilities and b/c its one of the fastest at loading the blu-ray movies.

navstar29

I forgot all about God of War 3. :o I own a PlayStation2, and I have the first two games. Heavenly Sword looks very good, and Ratchet and Clank is a platformer, no? As for the Metal Gear series - I played through Metal Gear Solid and loved it (as well as VR Missions), I got stuck on Metal Gear Solid 2 (as Raiden - gaaaah) and played some of the boss battles in Metal Gear Solid 3 (The End and The Boss being my favourites). I'm not exactly an action junkie, but when it's done well (ie. God of War, Prince of Persia: Two Thrones (which is one of my favourite games of all time)) I can really get into it.

It's not that I don't like Blu-Ray, but I'm not a visiophile - regular DVDs do the trick for me at the moment, but yes, in a while, I will be inevitably getting a Blu-Ray player. Many times, I've thought of buying a Blu-Ray drive for my PC (they cost around 80GBP here), but I haven't because I don't use them just yet. Of course, I'll be factoring that in with the price - as the PlayStation3 remains one of the highest quality Blu-Ray players in its price range. I've played Echochrome (I think... there was a demo of it on the official website a few months ago, an MC Escher-inspired optical illusion game, right?) and I enjoyed it.
BoxingTheStars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BoxingTheStars
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts
imo if you already have a 360 i dont think you need to buy a ps3 because all of the great games for either side are usually not exclusive and if they are then there are either very few of them or they will adventually make it for the other system as well
gwf123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gwf123
Member since 2007 • 411 Posts
The question is not ," Why should I buy a PlayStation 3 ?". But , "Why not?" . Meaning , if you have the money go for it , because if the thought resided in your head in the first place, you thought about buying it , then why not? If you were here to expect a balanced , "Pros and Cons" , then you are sadly misjudging. Go to system wars for that.Well, then again , you wont get a great response anywhere on gamespot. But if you buy a ps3 , its worth every penny you invest into it. I've had mine since launch and i've had nothing but good to say about it. I am not a fanboy of the ps3 , i even want a 360 ( LULZ OMFG NO WAI) for gears and l4d. But lack the money :( haha
infamous_27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 infamous_27
Member since 2008 • 857 Posts
because in the long run it would be cheaper than a 360.

also, all of your favourite genres are on the ps3 and are great!!
Avatar image for railroberto2007
railroberto2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 railroberto2007
Member since 2007 • 1405 Posts
ya these people arent helping much let me say this tho. you should buy a ps3 and get little big planet, warhawk, uncharted, heavenly sword. and ratchet and clank . all are very good and i think they beat out 360s exclusives oh and resistance 2! all of those games are out right now. some are even cheap and by the way god of war 3 is coming next year.
theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
if you need to think about it, then wait its not gonna kill you, you have a 360.
claytonjoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 claytonjoseph
Member since 2004 • 189 Posts

I've been a gamer almost my whole life (2600, Intellevision, 5200, Commadore 64, NES, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, PS2, Wii & PS3) and just bought a used PS3 60G about 4 months ago. I have have been overall very impressed with it (good bluray player, surfs net well, online is fun, & just starting to truly establish a larger & solid set of games- exclusive & not exclusive). Why I purchased the PS3: backwards compatible (good collection of +100 PS1 & PS2 games), wanted an add'l PS system for my alternate TV (main gaming TV is PS3 on 720-HD 62" JVC rear-projection & alternate TV is PS2 on 36" Sony non-HD tv, many older PS2 & most PS1 games look crap on a rear-projection HD TV), bluray player (future tech) and Sony customer service (shipped my original PS2 to Sony, broken after 3 hard years of playing, they fixed it & I only paid shipping). Regarding the question of should you buy one or not, you sound like you know yourself well & are being honest about your reasons for & against- good start. Should you buy a $400-$500 system for 1 or 2 games, no that would be a mistake. Why, the 1 or 2 games would never live up to the hype or $400-$500 price tag. You would end up disappointed & out $250 (after you sold it for less than 50% of what you paid for it). Enjoy the decision you already made, you have a 360 & you like it. If you're bored with your 360 buy a new game, call a friend or read a book.

Jyakotu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jyakotu
Member since 2005 • 158 Posts
Because of the first party exclusives. Not to mention, Blu-Ray!!!
codalloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 codalloo
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts
Why? Because it's good. Buy one, you definitely won't regret it dude.
Avatar image for railroberto2007
railroberto2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 railroberto2007
Member since 2007 • 1405 Posts
your 360 is going to rrod anyway
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

It's a honest question and I'll try to put my honest input.

I'm a casual player, when time from daily work, family and friends allows I usually spend about one-two hours or so with PS3. I have few Blu-ray movies that I really enjoy but I mostly rent the new ones (6$ for one rent). I'm big on technology and PS3 is one very impressive machine from that standpoint. I find myself skip majority of movies in theater simple because the comfort of my girlfriend surrounded by home theatre and blu-ray stunning quality is priceless. Just like yourself, I also own a decent PC and very good laptop but I rarely find myself using it for gaming.

As you can probably tell, I got PS3 mostly for multimedia functionality, after I upgraded to 250GB hard-drive most of my music and video files are on the it. Another great feature that I use is PSP-PS3 compatibility. This one I use very often, when I'm stuck in traffic (shouldn't do that :P), or on subway, bus or street car I simply login via wi-fi in different city when I'm on my lunch break directly to my PS3 to stream previously uploaded Manga and Anime.

I don't have Xbox 360 like yourself and I can't tell you the benefits or differences when it comes to games. If you take a peak at my collection, it's mostly rpg's sports and racing games. I don't have a lot of time so PS3 fulfils those needs. I do know that there are quite a few exclusives to chose from. My friend had been playing Valkyria Chronicles and Little Big Planet like a mad man!

If you have time, look at the game library for PS3 and see if some of those games interest you, look into future titles as well. I have high hopes for Final Fantasy XIII and VS XIII, new Uncharted, God of War III, full version of my favorite game so far Gran Turismo 5 and what I believe will be a big hit - White Knight Chronicles JRPG which looks superb.

If you have asked me from multimedia standpoint, I would definitely recommends it without a doubt, Sony really build quite a console where every day me and my family enjoy Movies, Music and Games for the last two years, It helps that the console is very reliable as well. I have yet to purchase a warranty in my 12 years of any Sony products. I do agree that it's expensive, but I have no regrets when quality product works well.

I hope that helps a bit. ;)

JKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JKusanagi
Member since 2005 • 815 Posts
You already want LBP, Valkyria Chronicles won't dissapoint you at all, there, not just 1 game anymore. Also there's Resistance 2, Uncharted and maybe you might reconsider MGS4. If you feel like button mashing with friends and having fun there's Ultimate Ninja Storm, White Knight Story is coming somewhere after Dec or on Dec. Free online multiplayer, blu-ray, social 3d next-gen network (home), video formats playing, bla bla bla, if those are not reasons enough for you, don't buy it
Erik729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Erik729
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts
Topic- So you can stop posting these type of topics.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I don't recommend you get one unless you want to buy/rent Blu Ray movies. Little Big Planet isn't one of my favorites, though, so I guess we have different taste in games. Honestly, the 360 is where it's at console-wise right now.
glenn2709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 glenn2709
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts
Don't buy a Playstation 3 ;)
JKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JKusanagi
Member since 2005 • 815 Posts

I don't recommend you get one unless you want to buy/rent Blu Ray movies. Little Big Planet isn't one of my favorites, though, so I guess we have different taste in games. Honestly, the 360 is where it's at console-wise right now. donalbane

Different taste in games as you said, I don't like Halo, Ninja Gaiden 2 i can pass since i have Sigma and as for Gears of War games, i have MGS4 which i like the most. My only complain would be Tales of Vesperia but in exchange i get games like Resistance 2, Uncharted, LBP and all those extra functions in the PS3. I know there are other games in 360 exclusives but those are the only ones i like and maybe sometime in the future i'll get one, but i dont have any regrets of getting a PS3 first, sometimes i even feel i won't need a 360 at all

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

For the record, I like the look of Valkyria Chronicles (though I've never played it), Metal Gear Solid 4 doesn't really bother me, though. I don't think I'll be using Blu-Ray for a while (the Blu-Ray DVDs are expensive).skapunkclarence

From everything I gathered it seems you're better off sticking to hte 360. Sure the platforming is light but you yourself said it you don't want to buy a console for one game. Shooters 360 has them in spades, RPG's there's a TON more on 360 pick your posion, puzzle games 360 has tons in the Arcade to download, fighters, VF5 WITH online support, DOA4, Soulcalibur 4, SF IV and the once exclusive Tekken 6 (which all Sony fans claimed is the BEST fighting franchise on the market) Save your money and use it to buy 4 or 5 games on 360 as opposed to a console you won't use that much seeing as how you won't use the Blu-ray player.

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

Yes. PS3 is the best console money can buy.metalgear-solid

Opinion. Not a fact.