Why PS1 to PSP, not PS2 to PSP?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dadgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dadgamer
Member since 2007 • 76 Posts
Why are almost all the games on the PS store from the PS1 moving over to the PSP? Why aren't there PS2 games out there that are being moved to PSP? Is it a sales issue (since PS2's are still being sold, they don't want to take away from that revenue)? Is it a technical limitation (Don't think so, b/c there are ps2 games that have been ported)? Is it a time issue (PS2 games being larger and therefore harder to move over than PS1 games)? Something else?
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
PS1 games run emulated on the PSP via an emulator that is part of the firmware. Emulating a PS2 game is absolutely out of the technical capabilities of the PSP. Porting a game is one thing, emulating the hardware is very definitely another.
HunidRacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 HunidRacks
Member since 2007 • 386 Posts
God of War is a PS2 game. (for example) The PSP has a faster processor than a PS2 (333mhz vs. 266mhz) so theres no reason to really not have PS2 games on a PSP. Plus the benefit the PSP gets in additionis the textures have to be dulled down a bit to fit on the smaller 1.8GB UMD disc, resulting in higher FPS which leaves more room to improve on other graphical elements in the game (i.e lighting, shadows, physics)
sahib1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 sahib1988
Member since 2006 • 204 Posts
you answered your own question.ps2's are a major source of revenue for sony.especially software.ps1 is 100% dead.and i dont think ps2s emulation is possible on psp yet.youd think homebrew developers wouldve done it if it were.we might have ps2 emulation on psp2 or when ps2 is totally dead.besides,you dont see nintendo 64 being emulated on ds do you?
J-link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 J-link
Member since 2004 • 4805 Posts

To emulate hardware, the machine (PSP) has to be much more powerful than the machine (PS2)its trying to emulate. 333mhz simply just is not enough. Not to mention that the PS2 has Emotion Engine which even PS3 has trouble emulating. The PS2 two ports we have seen have been programmed and designed again just so that they can be played on the PSP.

HunidRacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 HunidRacks
Member since 2007 • 386 Posts
PSP's best titles are all PSP exclusives: Syphon Filter series (those particular sequels anyway, not talking about PS1), Daxter, Jeanne D'Arc (AWSOME GAME), Killzone: Liberation, Ratchet, Crush, the upcoming God of War and it will for sure be awesome, SOCOM PSP series and others I cant think of right now. All those games are PSP exclusives and are awesome, even the ones that have other series on other consoles these particular sequels were made strictly for the PSP and were great! I think the PSP harvests some good content and doesn't need to resort to just porting everything.
Roman_Irishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Roman_Irishman
Member since 2007 • 29493 Posts

PSP's best titles are all PSP exclusives: Syphon Filter series (those particular sequels anyway, not talking about PS1), Daxter, Jeanne D'Arc (AWSOME GAME), Killzone: Liberation, Ratchet, Crush, the upcoming God of War and it will for sure be awesome, SOCOM PSP series and others I cant think of right now. All those games are PSP exclusives and are awesome, even the ones that have other series on other consoles these particular sequels were made strictly for the PSP and were great! I think the PSP harvests some good content and doesn't need to resort to just porting everything. HunidRacks

Nicely put, however, DMC, MGS and FF would be a blast to play at school or on the go.

ninjasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 ninjasam
Member since 2006 • 217 Posts
It would sure be a blast to play ps2 games to go, but it sure is a B changing the controls and making games widescreen. Much easier for simple ps1 games. Ps1 games target a different audience to, an audience that wont likley get distracted from original psp content. Thats what sony fears the most, taking focus off the content that make game developers money, cause if they don't get money, they wont get more developers. Thats the reason they took off backwards compatibility for ps3, and im not making that up, it was in an interview with Phill Harrison.
SPD_WeBmAsTaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 SPD_WeBmAsTaH
Member since 2004 • 2668 Posts
Because they're not at the stage of being able to do that physically. It takes time to figure out how to program it and whatnot, and then they can do it. It's just the beggining of the PS3 and the PS1 games to the PSP.
ratboy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ratboy64
Member since 2007 • 406 Posts

the ps2 is still in business- ps2 has r2 and l2 and 2 analog stick buttons-. Gives me an idea- ps2 games on ps store for ps3!

Meleeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Meleeboy
Member since 2005 • 1503 Posts
I don't see why they don't port FFX. I mean it is entirely possible since the right analog stick isn't used.
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#12 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I want to know what the problem would be with giving the ability to play a PS2 game from your PSP through the use of remote play like the firmware added with PSone games. If you have the PS2 disc in your PS3, just use the remote play and voila, instant on the go play (if you have a wireless internet source around you that is.)

It even worked with LAIR (somewhat) so I don't what the deal is cause I would love that ability. FFX or FFXII, ICO,:shock: SotC

:shock: KINGDOM HEARTS 2 ON THE GO!

They need to implement this feature...

FendersONLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 FendersONLY
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts

Even though the PSP does have a higher Mhz rating than the PS2, the capacity for which the games are made is much different. PS1 Games ran off of CD-ROM format where as the PS2 ran off of DVD-ROM format. Discrepency being that the PS2 games are 4.7 GB to 8.1 GB(after dual-layer format release) to be used for space. You would need one h**luva memory stick to have a ps2 game on your psp, and not to mention the fact that flash based memory runs much slower than a laser read format. Which is why there have been rumored reports that 8GB Mem Sticks aren't working right(keyword being "rumored"). And not to mention the control issues, screen issues.