Why is the PlayStation 3's gpu not very powerful?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LordAragis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 LordAragis
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I was checking PS3's hardware on the net and i've read in a few posts that Xbox 360's gpu is slightly better than PS3's. How come Sony made the ps3 gpu less powerful than Xbox360's? I mean, yeah the cell cpu is one of the most powerful available, but wouldnt it be better if cpu was less powerful (say, 4 cores)but the gpu was a gaming monster? Isn't gpu more important for gaming?:?Note: I am not an Xbox fanboy or anything. I got all sony consoles (ps1, ps2, psp, ps3) so i guess that makes me a sony fanboy :P. I'm just curious why sony decided to make the cpu monstrous and the gpu not-so-monstrous.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

It has an 8 core processor 7 are used and one is used for back, thats over double the 360

Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts
im not sure what you mean, buy when you say 4 cores im aware that the ps3 has 7.
kingmanbrosky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kingmanbrosky
Member since 2009 • 268 Posts

gpu is not the only thing that makes graphics look good, it uses other components that surpass the 360's graphical power, it has a buncha things the 360 doesnt

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

Sony made it that way.

cagivaelefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cagivaelefant
Member since 2005 • 184 Posts

I heard that Sony swapped the cpu & other things in the revamped PS3, after the 60gb model and probably after the 20gb version too.I remember somebody had one as a replacement and said the quality of the graphics was not as good as the original.This might be true then again it might not.Can someone clarify that please.

Timberwolf5578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Timberwolf5578
Member since 2008 • 311 Posts

I heard that Sony swapped the cpu & other things in the revamped PS3, after the 60gb model and probably after the 20gb version too.I remember somebody had one as a replacement and said the quality of the graphics was not as good as the original.This might be true then again it might not.Can someone clarify that please.

cagivaelefant
Gimme a break! There is not going to be any difference in graphics between different model PS3s. No way that's possible.
Timberwolf5578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Timberwolf5578
Member since 2008 • 311 Posts

PS3 is more graphically capable than the 360.

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

I was checking PS3's hardware on the net and i've read in a few posts that Xbox 360's gpu is slightly better than PS3's. How come Sony made the ps3 gpu less powerful than Xbox360's? I mean, yeah the cell cpu is one of the most powerful available, but wouldnt it be better if cpu was less powerful (say, 4 cores)but the gpu was a gaming monster? Isn't gpu more important for gaming?:?Note: I am not an Xbox fanboy or anything. I got all sony consoles (ps1, ps2, psp, ps3) so i guess that makes me a sony fanboy :P. I'm just curious why sony decided to make the cpu monstrous and the gpu not-so-monstrous.

LordAragis
I laugh at your fail post.
Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
I also question why they didn't unify the RAM, that alone would make multiplats easier to develop and keep them on par w/ the 360. Unify the RAM and then add teh cell and it'd be even more of a monster.
gangster480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 gangster480
Member since 2006 • 856 Posts

LordAragis

i understand what youre saying but sony designed the two to work together to produce better graphics than halo could ever produce.

just dont thinkof the specs too much because it could be misleading. because together these two are the dream team.

look at what kind of graphics ps3 can produce, Mgs4,killzone 2, uncharted, god of war 3. graphics that rival that of crysis, YES I SAID IT!!!

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

I suspect cost was a factor. As is they had to launch the system at a [disastrous] 500-600 USD. From what I've heard the original idea was that the PS3 would have, instead of the RSX (GPU), a second Cell processor! I can only imagine how expensive that would have been.

anzelm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 3

#13 anzelm
Member since 2004 • 902 Posts

cagivaelefant

I had a release 60GB version that broke and bought a new 80GB version and there is no difference in graphics whatsoever.

fazedjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 fazedjb
Member since 2008 • 542 Posts

ask sony.

its so crap that we wish we cud have games like killzone2, mgs4, Motorstorm2 (with its 12 frames per second..) etc etc.

knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 knicknut17
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

RSX puts out pretty nice looking graphics in my opinion.

Let's not get down to counting polygons...the best PS3 games look better than the best 360 games in my opinion.

Case closed.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

LordAragis
Take it to system wars.. its common knowledge the PS3 is more powerful that the XBox360.. it was developed and released after the Xbox360, is far more expensive and its system specs are higher.
cagivaelefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cagivaelefant
Member since 2005 • 184 Posts

Well i stand corrected then ;).

cj_simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 cj_simmons
Member since 2005 • 419 Posts
I read that too a while back, and yea it's true that the 360's gpu is a little better but the ps3 uses the cell to render a lot of the graphics so it doesn't really matter about the gpu.
2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

what is more annoying and confusing is that sony put a weaker GPU in the PS3 than the xbox's even after the PS3 has been released a year later........i heard something abtthe RSX not being originally planned for the PS3 but in the late stages sony has asked Nivida for some GPU, and they gave them the RSX.

sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts

What I read is that the 360 pushes more polygons (not a very big difference between the systems though) but the PS3 pushes more advanced textures using the CPU, which makes the models look better.

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

I suspect cost was a factor. As is they had to launch the system at a [disastrous] 500-600 USD. From what I've heard the original idea was that the PS3 would have, instead of the RSX (GPU), a second Cell processor! I can only imagine how expensive that would have been. ThePlothole

That's basically the story I've heard....they originally had a second cell processor for the GPU but due to costs (or whatever it was) had to drop the idea at the last minute and approach Nvidia to quickly design a new GPU.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

LordAragis
Basically.... those GPU'S, do help graphics but the ps3 in terms of graphics power is around what the 360 can do, add to the fact that developers aren't really using the full power of the ps3..and the cell gives the ps3 more power in terms of A.I and other things.
LordAragis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LordAragis

[QUOTE="LordAragis"]

Warriorboy1990

I laugh at your fail post.

It is merely a question. And I doubt you even understand what I asked.

LordAragis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LordAragis

It has an 8 core processor 7 are used and one is used for back, thats over double the 360

imaps3fanboy

I'm talking about the gpu, not the cpu

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

The CPU's in PS3 are pretty much all the workload of the system, including majority of GPU work.

I don't know the reason for little less stronger GPU but from articles I had read - it really doen't matter, almost everything is completely handled by ridiculously fast CPU's.

It's quite a technology.

LordAragis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LordAragis

thats a satisfying answer. thank you. though i still wish the gpu had more memory, perhaps we would have more 1080p games.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Oh yea, I totally agree. More memory would always be fantastic for many things.

Still, for a console, it's a pretty powerful piece of hardware. ;)