Why is MGS 4 either really loved or really hated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aznfunnyjunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 aznfunnyjunker
Member since 2011 • 204 Posts

IGN and Gamespot both gave the game stunning reviews. And a lot of people seemed to like it. The others just seemed to consider it an abomination. Do they think it's a bad game overall or just a bad game compared to the rest of the games in the series?

SteamedBennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SteamedBennet
Member since 2011 • 534 Posts

Some people don't care for story-heavy games with long cutscenes. I personally loved MGS4 (though I preferred MGS2, it was also the weakest of the series so far imo).

Bladex2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Bladex2k
Member since 2003 • 2755 Posts
why people keep asking the same question? not every1 will like and dislike samethings
cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1842 Posts

Some people don't know a great game when they play it and claim some other poorly rated games are good. :?

[spoiler] LOL J/K folks have different opinions and tastes. [/spoiler]

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

MGS4 was for fans of Metal Gear to tie up the story. That's all it was really meant for...

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

MGS4 was for fans of Metal Gear to tie up the story. That's all it was really meant for...

Denji
I kinda disagree. I never played any MGS game before except for the ones on PSP, so I got MGS4. I looked online to try to understand the whole saga but it is extremely confusing but I did end up understanding the basic gist. And MGS4 is one of the best games I have ever played. I loved the sneaking around, the winter and the snow, and the awesome boss fights. I know that if I understood the story aspects I would have liked it even more, but I thought it was an incredible epic game in its own right.
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

MGS4 is my least favorite MGS game.

That said it was a fantastic game.

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

Everyon has their own taste, but I know the haters at least have to admit that MGS4 is a techincal masterpiece that not many games this gen have accomplished.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
It was kind of polarizing but I completely loved it! I couldn't get enough.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
because people have different tastes
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
MGS4=masterpiece
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#12 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Because they don't think its a 10 out of 10 game which it isn't but its still a fine achievement.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"] I kinda disagree. I never played any MGS game before except for the ones on PSP, so I got MGS4. I looked online to try to understand the whole saga but it is extremely confusing but I did end up understanding the basic gist. And MGS4 is one of the best games I have ever played. I loved the sneaking around, the winter and the snow, and the awesome boss fights. I know that if I understood the story aspects I would have liked it even more, but I thought it was an incredible epic game in its own right.

If you found the gameplay of MGS4 that great you'll have lots of orgasms when playing MGS3. Especialy the boss fights in MGS4 were just recycled versions of boss fights from other MGS games. I don't dislike MGS4 but it doesn't live up to the series. Like Denji said: A nice finish for the story but nothing else.
srdjan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 srdjan311
Member since 2007 • 1247 Posts

you get that with every game. some love, some hate

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
As many have mentioned, different people have different preferences what they love or hate. In MGS4 case, one of my personal favorite games this generation, I find people who have not played previous Metal Gear Solid games don't like it much. Its understandable, they don't understand very complex story. I wouldn't worry too much, MGS4 deserves the great scores it got. Its a great game and it gives you conclusion from three previous amazing titles. MGS3 still remains my favorite in the series.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#16 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Its got the worst story in the series by far, but its got the best gameplay.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
I didn't think MGS4 was that much of a divisive game. Surely some people will not like it but it's not one of those love or hate games like the first Assassin's Creed.[QUOTE="Reptylus"][QUOTE="AdamPA1006"] I kinda disagree. I never played any MGS game before except for the ones on PSP, so I got MGS4. I looked online to try to understand the whole saga but it is extremely confusing but I did end up understanding the basic gist. And MGS4 is one of the best games I have ever played. I loved the sneaking around, the winter and the snow, and the awesome boss fights. I know that if I understood the story aspects I would have liked it even more, but I thought it was an incredible epic game in its own right.

If you found the gameplay of MGS4 that great you'll have lots of orgasms when playing MGS3. Especialy the boss fights in MGS4 were just recycled versions of boss fights from other MGS games. I don't dislike MGS4 but it doesn't live up to the series. Like Denji said: A nice finish for the story but nothing else.

Haha what? Are you actually saying the gameplay in MGS3 is better than MGS4? I just wanna clarify here... :?
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Because some people thinks its cool to hate things that are good/popular

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i think cause its really a fan service so the non fans wouldnt like it and the long cutscenes probably turn them off. I personally love the franchise including #4
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

it's due to the complex story of the whole series, plus it's been around for years and years and alot of gamers may of been to young to really enjoy the first mgs on the playstation. for me mgs4 was amazing the best of the series, i believe it rounded off the series nicely, brought back fond memories, i think tho, which non of the reviewers or any players actually ever realise is that every single mgs, has had the same bosses in it, just as different adaptations of them and different characters playing simalar roles, which was a little bit of a let down that they couldn't be creative and fresh with the boss battles. but mgs4 wrapped it all up for me, yes course it wasn't the best in the series the first one is just for the fact it was different and new. thats why alot of people hate it, and lots of people love it.

(just incase anyone pulls me up on it i know that the first mgs wasn't the playstation version and it goes back as far as the nes.)

the best way to play mgs4 is to play each one again from beginning to end, which you be able to do soon enough once mgs hd collection comes out.

claytonjoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 claytonjoseph
Member since 2004 • 189 Posts

IGN and Gamespot both gave the game stunning reviews. And a lot of people seemed to like it. The others just seemed to consider it an abomination. Do they think it's a bad game overall or just a bad game compared to the rest of the games in the series?

aznfunnyjunker

I like the Metal Gear games, but MGS4 had tooooooooooooooo long cut scenes. I appreciate good story telling in a video game (sometimes it's the best part of a game), but when there's 20 min of cut scene & 5 min of game play I get bored quick (especially considering the complexity & convolutedness of the Metal Gear story lines).

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Same reasonsas every other big brand name franchise. In the end you like or hate this game. For whatever you reasons for do either are. So google MetalGear Solid 4 and research why people love or Hate this game.

For me I will just say I love this game because I like Liquid Ocelot and the "Fried eggs" cuts scence introduction/openingbeginning of each chapter.

There are many reasons people hate or love this game. or the Metal Gear series in general.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
Haha what? Are you actually saying the gameplay in MGS3 is better than MGS4? I just wanna clarify here... :?anime_gamer007
Exactly. Mybe not the gameplay in a technical sense but the areas were better designed and the boss fights were much more fun (not only but also because they were original back then; the fight with Crying Wolf for example was not much more than a copy of the duel with The End). I was just able to finish MGS4 because I wanted to know the story. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the boredom.
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"]Haha what? Are you actually saying the gameplay in MGS3 is better than MGS4? I just wanna clarify here... :?Reptylus
Exactly. Mybe not the gameplay in a technical sense but the areas were better designed and the boss fights were much more fun (not only but also because they were original back then). I was just able to finish MGS4 because I wanted to know the story. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the boredom.

Alright, I just wanted to make I understood you 100%, that being said, I disagree 100%.

Mortos13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#25 Mortos13
Member since 2010 • 304 Posts

People are impatient and just want to go to the shooting. They cant appreciate a work of art like MGS4.