Why hasn't the PSP been discontinued yet?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

There hasn't been a game release for the system in several months -- at least nothing worth noting. And most retailers have little to no PSP games anymore. So, why doesn't Sony just discontinue the PSP already? Theres no point in continuing to manufacture a system when there's no new software that's going to be released for it.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
People must be buying it for them to still be making them. Not sure why they would bother making them when no games are being made anymore. They should be focussed on the Vita.
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I don't exactly know how many they are making, but if they are still selling they keep pushing out on the market. But yes, you're right, it has been abandoned as far as software goes. It makes sense for the DS to still be well in circulation because it's still selling relatively well and there are games still being made for it.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
sonys 10 year life cycle still sells in japan
Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Still loads of games released in Japan more than the Vita.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
I'll give you the Japanese answer... Games are STILL coming out for it in Japan and ONLY in Japan, which makes me angry and plus it's still a huge hit.
j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Still selling a lot in JPN and JPN devs are developing for it..

If anything, I think Sony's starting to slowly discontinue PSP support on the US.

Just more than a week ago there were supplies of the extended battery pack.. now, they're nowhere to be found (most large retailers and even Sony.com).

>.<

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

There hasn't been a game release for the system in several months -- at least nothing worth noting. And most retailers have little to no PSP games anymore. So, why doesn't Sony just discontinue the PSP already? Theres no point in continuing to manufacture a system when there's no new software that's going to be released for it.

ChiefFreeman
Because you're wrong. In Japan the PSP gets multiple releases a month and still has high quality games coming out with new releases well into 2013.. In the U.S. the PSP is still getting quite a few niche RPGs though most are released digital only due to piracy and the risk of going physical.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#9 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Sony only just now stopped distributing the PS2 to Japan so I'd imagine it's going to still be a while before they stop making the PSP all together.