Why does the Uncharted series get so much praise?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

#1 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I finished U1 and thought it was a ok game. I personally give it a 7/10, would have been a 8/10 if it wasn't for that ridiculous jetski part going up river.

And I just now finished Uncharted 2. While it was an ok game too, I don't see where it deserves more than a 8/10. A 9/10 or 10/10 score seems way to much for U2. Puzzles are easy to figure out since the answers are all in your journal, platforming/climbing can be irritating at times. But shooting and story humor was good.

I'm going to try to replay U3 again (last time I tried playing it I was bored out of my mind)

But overall, these games seem average. There are better third person shooters out there. Just wondering what people see in these games.

(And obviously, this is just my opinion)

reddead123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 reddead123
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts

For me it was always the story that i really enjoyed. I loved raiders of the lost arc and all that sort of stuff when I was a kid so that was probably one of the reasons i loved those games so much.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Story and graphics basically. Gameplay is solid also. But im talking more about Uncharted 2 specifically.

equanox214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 equanox214
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

@ristactionjakso: its cinematic nature was something that was relatively new when 2 came out, to be honest nobody gave a damn about uc1 it was 2 that brought about all the hype and goty awards, it also has amazing visuals and great gameplay and a fun indiana jones esq story to boot. recipe for success for me, but everyone has their tastes.

the online was also fun all the platforming and shooting was a good mix, idk if 3 still has a community?

Playing them when they came out was a blast, idk if its less of a spectacle to play it currently. I loved them all but in order I choose Uncharted 2, 3 then 1

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#5 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

The Uncharted series are some of the best linear action games out there in my opinion. It honestly took me quite a while to realize how much I liked the games, probably not until finishing the third one and replaying the others, really. But in short, I liked the characters, the stories, I felt the gameplay was consistently enjoyable in each game, and the visuals are some of the best on the PS3. Plus there's the over-the-top action, which also took me a while to warm up to because at first I thought some of the set-pieces were too absurd. But looking back on the games, there's some really crazy and memorable levels, ones I guess I shouldn't mention because they might be minor spoilers.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Don't play Uncharted 3, it's actually everything that can go wrong with the Uncharted series manifested into a disc.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ristactionjakso

Ya I'm not seeing anything that special about them that would give them 9/10 scores.

The characters are ok, the story is ok, the gameplay is ok. It's just an ok game to me.

I personally like Binary Domain and Spec Ops better for tps.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

They're just so enjoyable to play for me... it's like playing a blockbuster action movie! The story and characters are brilliant (it is Naughty Dog after all), and the gameplay is solid. I enjoyed every one of them (especially 2, which was amazing!). Can't wait for the next one!

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

They're just so enjoyable to play for me... it's like playing a blockbuster action movie! The story and characters are brilliant (it is Naughty Dog after all), and the gameplay is solid. I enjoyed every one of them (especially 2, which was amazing!). Can't wait for the next one!

This is why I liked it. I can see if you don't like the characters why you wouldn't enjoy the series. If you break it down nothing is really amazing about the games, but I think that all the elements together really flow and make for a great experience. Plus as others have said before, I love Indiana Jones and playing uncharted feels like playing an Indiana Jones movie as a game.

BiggChonies882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggChonies882
Member since 2012 • 126 Posts

If you can't enjoy the Uncharted series then in the words of Obi-Wan... "You are lost!"

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Like most have said, it's the presentation and production values that inflated the score of Uncharted 2. It takes you for a ride, but if you prefer to be in more control and have a gameplay driven experience, the series won't win you over.

It wasn't my cup of tea at all (quite the opposite) for the above reasons. I found the infamous series to be the far more enjoyable Sony franchise last gen. It has similar mechanics except they are all done a heck of a lot better and while the story isn't presented as well, it's definitely more interesting than Uncharted's IMHO.

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

Here's a question for you? Do you like Raiders of the Lost Ark? A lot of us grew up loving those movies and thats probably a good reason why we like Uncharted so much. Also the characters are great and charismatic and it is just a fun game with awesome set pieces. You can't think too much into it. Just enjoy it. I was worried that Naughty Dog could only make silly platformers and TPS but then the last of us came out...Boy was I wrong.

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts

These games are the true definition of ACTION and ADVENTURE... what do you not like about that...! Uncharted got good stories, good music, good graphix, lovable characters, comedy, great gameply, and Treasure!!!! Its very hard not to love these games really...

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ristactionjakso

I'm trying to re-play Uncharted 3 now.....and I remember why I couldn't play it.

The aiming and gunplay SUCKS BALL$. And that is an understatement. U3 has the worst gunplay I've ever experienced in any shooter game. Don't get me wrong, everything else about the game seems legit and better than U2 in my opinion. But the gunplay breaks the game for me.

U2 > U1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>U3.

voodoocanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 voodoocanzo
Member since 2012 • 55 Posts

The story mode and co op is great but the multiplayer is horrible worst online shooter I've ever played

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

The Uncharted series is one of those game series that actually deserve all the praise it gets, the games have excellent gameplay, level design (the most important aspects of a game) graphics and story, as well as addictive multiplayer which isn't just tacked on.

The real question is why Mass Effect 2 gets so much praise (something I have been trying to wrap my head around since I played the game, how does one simply excuse terrible gameplay and downright awful level design just because of story?)

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ristactionjakso

@RageQuitter69 said:

The Uncharted series is one of those game series that actually deserve all the praise it gets, the games have excellent gameplay, level design (the most important aspects of a game) graphics and story, as well as addictive multiplayer which isn't just tacked on.

The real question is why Mass Effect 2 gets so much praise (something I have been trying to wrap my head around since I played the game, how does one simply excuse terrible gameplay and downright awful level design just because of story?)

Gameplay? Uncharted 3 has the absolute most horrendous aiming and shooting gunplay I have ever experienced in a shooter. The gameplay alone breaks this game.

commandokock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 commandokock
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts

uncharted was pretty decent overall but it couldve been so much more. it seems like it shouldve been more puzzle oriented gameplay given the setting and story but it was really just action/adventure. itd have been much better if we actually had to figure out clues and puzzles like in old RE and silent hill games. it was a good looking game though.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@ristactionjakso said:

Gameplay? Uncharted 3 has the absolute most horrendous aiming and shooting gunplay I have ever experienced in a shooter. The gameplay alone breaks this game.

You also said that Uncharted 2 had good gun play so........

None of the Uncharted games had good gameplay when it comes to gun combat

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

Why does uncharted series get so much praise?..... Because the series deserves it especially UC2 and the 96 metascore rating. I would say part 1 was the worst in the series and I would give it a 8 out of 10 but part 2 and the 3 were excellent and deserved a 9 or 9.5 out of 10. If there is any series that deserved their high praises, uncharted and god of war series would be it.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ristactionjakso

@Jaysonguy said:

@ristactionjakso said:

Uncharted 2 is a gun shooting heaven compared to Uncharted 3 terrible gunplay.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@ristactionjakso said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@ristactionjakso said:

Uncharted 2 is a gun shooting heaven compared to Uncharted 3 terrible gunplay.

They're both bad

Multiple headshots are awful, even the basics of the gameplay are tiring like having to press a button to collect ammo.

Uncharted is good because Nathan Drake is a dreamboat and his stories are fun

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

Because its a great series? derrrp

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I really liked all of them

msulcs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 msulcs
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

Uncharted is awesome. Nuff said

IndridCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IndridCipher
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

i really don't like the gta series, but i understand why it gets praise. Not everything is going to appeal to you, that doesn't mean it doesn't deserve high praise

daveversion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By daveversion1
Member since 2007 • 1005 Posts

Like some of the others have said, my love of the Uncharted games was mainly due to the story and the characters to whome you grow quite fond of, the gameplay itself was well done and the graphics were impressive. I think Uncharted 3 was a bit slower and took a little longer to get into unlike the other two where i was hooked from the opening moments, but then i fell yet again for the wit of Drake and Sully and was once again hooked into the story. There is obviously a film-like element to it, but that i feel only enhances the game as a whole.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I think the series as a whole is overrated, but that doesn't mean they're bad games. To me, Uncharted 2 was one of, if not the best game last generation. It's just that the first wasn't that great and the third dropped the ball in a lot of places.

xTreez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30 xTreez
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

The whole series is ok at best but gets way to much press in my opinion u4 will be coming out soon and Naughty dog needs to kill this series off or change is drastically

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#31 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I think they're great games myself; however, I do not think Uncharted 2 is one of the best games of all time, like it is often heralded to be.

diaz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 diaz3
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

As good as the uncharted series is i much prefered tomb raider, found the gameplay much more enjoyable and would recommend it to anyone even uncharty fans.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

If you see Uncharted as a third person shooter, them yes, you would not like the series that much. The shooting mechanics are fine, but I can see where some would not like them. Uncharted is more of a hybrid game. It has platforming elements. Traversal elements, and shooter elements. The first game is still good, but it pales in comparison to the others.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@ristactionjakso said:

Ya I'm not seeing anything that special about them that would give them 9/10 scores.

The characters are ok, the story is ok, the gameplay is ok. It's just an ok game to me.

And you have the right to your own opinion. Graphics, game play, & story are all solid.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@ristactionjakso: Well with most games you have either good gameplay or good graphics. You very rarely see a game that offers both. Uncharted gameplay is above average and the graphics are some of the best out there. So when people look at this game they have everything that you would want in a game.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

It resembles adventure games, such as Indiana Jones and it executes all the right points. Graphics, soundtrack, story, characters with solid platforming and third person shooting gameplay.

It has all it needs to be one of the most successful games. For me personally, The Last of Us took the crown as the best game I have played in the last 7 years but original Uncharted remains my special game, it was after all my first PS3 game and boy did I re-played that game numerous times lol

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I can't remember a single game before UC2 that managed to blend story, adventure, and action so seamlessly in a cinematic way. I don't hold UC1 or UC3 at the same level as UC2. Like Mass Effect, the only one worth talking about is the 2nd one in the trilogy.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Because its Magic, and just like Magic the pretty assisstant (The Cinematic Cutscenses) draws your attention away from the magician as he escapes through the trap door (The Okay Gameplay).

Maybe the Next Uncharted game will learn alil from TLOU.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ JangoWuzHere

Thats because movies blend story, adventure and action in a cinematic way. I remember a time when gameplay was fun, not a chore one does to get a story reward.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@ristactionjakso said:

and yet at the time nothing compared to them, see your looking at it from a point where a lot of games have come after, they are the best action adventure games out there, forget over genre's they do there genre the best and thats why there so good. binary domain i mean thats your choice, spec ops i mean they both aren't in a world like uncharted thats the point.

jetjetjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jetjetjaguar
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

All just "my two cents" but... it does feel like you are joy-sticking your way through a cool action film. I would give Uncharted 3 a 10/10 for story and "film experience", I give it about a 6/10 when you just look at the gaming part so... you end up with the 8/10 game that it is. Bioshock and Red Dead Redemption do a better job of getting the joystick into the movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-584419ec3a052
deactivated-584419ec3a052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-584419ec3a052
Member since 2012 • 333 Posts

While I don't feel it does anything grounbreaking on the gameplay front, I feel what it does offer is pretty solid. And I just love the graphics and characters. It's one of the few games where watching the cutscenes doesn't feel like a chore because I give a shit about the characters.

wyan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wyan_
Member since 2009 • 614 Posts

Like others have said, it has the feeling of an Indiana Jones movie. It's just magical how Naughty Dog managed to capture that. The voice acting, the way the characters behave, the villains, the action, animation, the music etc. Uncharted 3 was my first in the series and I really enjoyed it. By comparison, I've been playing Resident Evil 6 this week, which tries so hard to be a cinematic epic and fails so miserably that you wish no developer would ever try that approach in a game ever again, but ND did it right.

SilentAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 159

#44  Edited By SilentAssassin
Member since 2003 • 171 Posts

I honestly don't know why uncharted gets so much praise either. I, personally completed all three games and I think they are no more then a 7/10. There isn't enough depth in the exploring and weapon upgrades or anything. I constantly compare the Uncharted series with the new Tomb Raider game. To me Tomb Raider is a perfect example of a game that deserves an 8 or a 9. There's no weapon customization in Uncharted and all the collectibles don't effect the game play at all they're just for simply finding and getting a trophy or two out of it. Besides that it's very linear and scripted so if you don't like the story much.. you don't have much to hold onto.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lulu_Lulu

@ SilentAssassin

Well from they get so much praise from the fans because it feels like a movie (Odd).

But from websites that reviiewed the game, I don't know.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ristactionjakso

@bezza2011 said:

@ristactionjakso said:

and yet at the time nothing compared to them, see your looking at it from a point where a lot of games have come after, they are the best action adventure games out there, forget over genre's they do there genre the best and thats why there so good. binary domain i mean thats your choice, spec ops i mean they both aren't in a world like uncharted thats the point.

Ya but #3 is fairly recent.....the gameplay doesn't do the game justice, especially being the latest Uncharted game.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@ristactionjakso said:

@bezza2011 said:

@ristactionjakso said:

Ya but #3 is fairly recent.....the gameplay doesn't do the game justice, especially being the latest Uncharted game.

the gameplay is solid enough for what it is, yes it could be better but in it's genre there is nothing what competes, graphically number 3 is astounding i mean the sand alone is better than any graphics on any platform

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ristactionjakso

@bezza2011 said:

@ristactionjakso said:

@bezza2011 said:

@ristactionjakso said:

the gameplay is solid enough for what it is, yes it could be better but in it's genre there is nothing what competes, graphically number 3 is astounding i mean the sand alone is better than any graphics on any platform

Ehh, on this type of game, id rather have a more fluid gameplay over graphics any day. I mean, if I feel the need to play a graphics game I play KZ3 or Crysis.nTo each their own tho.