Why Does Downloading from the PSN Store Take SOOOOOOOO Long?!?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jz4evr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jz4evr
Member since 2003 • 113 Posts

I just got a ps3 a few days ago, mainly for blu-ray movies, but i've been downloading from the PSN store and the dl times are CRAZY! Videos that are 250mb take over 3 hours. i started dling ninja gaiden sigma last night and i took atleast 8 hours (not sure cuz i fell a sleep at 4). is it that bad for everyone else? if so how do they plan to roll out a movie dl service? i know you get what you pay for but come on they need to have at least more then 1 server (it seems). it's so slow that a 28k modem is faster. COME ON! On XBL the same video that takes over 3 hours on PSN takes maybe 5 minutes, and the demo that's 1gig that takes more then 8 hours to dl on PSN takes at the MOST 1 hour (and that's being slow). I would rather pay a little bit so i don't have to leave my ps3 on all day to dl a few trailers and a demo.

---rant over--- :P

emeritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 emeritus
Member since 2003 • 859 Posts
Because the servers are in Japan.
Masoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Masoa
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts
lol?
gamer26690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gamer26690
Member since 2004 • 715 Posts

I just got a ps3 a few days ago, mainly for blu-ray movies, but i've been downloading from the PSN store and the dl times are CRAZY! Videos that are 250mb take over 3 hours. i started dling ninja gaiden sigma last night and i took atleast 8 hours (not sure cuz i fell a sleep at 4). is it that bad for everyone else? if so how do they plan to roll out a movie dl service? i know you get what you pay for but come on they need to have at least more then 1 server (it seems). it's so slow that a 28k modem is faster. COME ON! On XBL the same video that takes over 3 hours on PSN takes maybe 5 minutes, and the demo that's 1gig that takes more then 8 hours to dl on PSN takes at the MOST 1 hour (and that's being slow). I would rather pay a little bit so i don't have to leave my ps3 on all day to dl a few trailers and a demo.

jz4evr

either your exaggerating the times a little or you have one really bad connection

jz4evr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jz4evr
[QUOTE="jz4evr"]

gamer26690

either your exaggerating the times a little or you have one really bad connection

Not at all actually. Itimed the video's. My wireless connection is one of thefastest on the market. Iusing an N wireless router. Everything elsein my house runs super fastincluding my 360 and pc. oh well.

deathstar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deathstar1
Member since 2003 • 471 Posts
I had the same problem when i first got mine. Change the channel on your router to either 1 or 11 (i use 11) and you'll be good.
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
[QUOTE="gamer26690"][QUOTE="jz4evr"]

jz4evr

Not at all actually. Itimed the video's. My wireless connection is one of thefastest on the market. Iusing an N wireless router. Everything elsein my house runs super fastincluding my 360 and pc. oh well.

Must be your connection because it took me less than 15 mins to dl the Sigma demo.

tgrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tgrace
Member since 2006 • 442 Posts

Must be your connection because it took me less than 15 mins to dl the Sigma demo.

CajunShooter

Same here. I don't think it has taken me any longer than 20 min. to download anything.

soldier1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 soldier1993
Member since 2006 • 558 Posts

Iam not having the same problems!

I live in Brazil, and the connection here is great! I got ninja gaiden in 25 minutes or less

Teyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Teyon
Member since 2004 • 678 Posts
The only thing that ever took me very long to download were the very first update to my PS3 (back in April) and the video of Metal Gear Solid 4 from E3. Eveyrthing else is pretty speedy. Whereas, on my nephew's XBox Live, we have to wait (on average) 2-4 hours for a download of a demo. Mind ye now, I've never waited 2 hours for anything on my PS3. An hour once (that first update) but that's the longest. Even FolkSoul downloaded in about 10 to 20minutes.
jz4evr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jz4evr
well guess i gotta figure out how to change the channel. :P
poogawotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 poogawotta
Member since 2004 • 182 Posts
To all those people who say they download 1 gb things in like under 20 minutes. I have a question for you.

What is the speed of your connection, your ISP and your plan?
Teyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Teyon
Member since 2004 • 678 Posts

I'm using a Cable Modem. I am a Road Runner Subscriber but I don't use the Road Runner software. My connection hovers around 700KB or so. I'm also a New Yorker and download files between 6 and 10 pm EST depending on when I feel like it. I like the colors Blue and Black. I've been a 3D modeler for several years and ...uh...is there any other personal info you want?

As an aside, you can have a blazing system but if the place you're downloading from has a slow one, there'll be a bottleneck. So that may be the problem you're having on certain things you download.

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
It's your connection that sucks...or your server is having problems. I DL Folklore demo( it over 1Gb) it only took 30-45 minutes!!
inspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 inspectre
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts
I'll chime in and say that my download speeds have been quick as well. I downloaded all the E3 trailers and Super Stardust HD very quickly in just a few minutes.
poogawotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 poogawotta
Member since 2004 • 182 Posts
Hmmm, Internet connections do suck in Australia, so that might be the reason. (I have like 1.5Mbps i think)

Also, to the first poster, 1GB every 8 hours is not slower than 28k, when my Internet slowed down once to 64k, it took me like 30+ hours of downloading to download GTHD (690MB). Also that wasn't an exaggeration.
deathstar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deathstar1
Member since 2003 • 471 Posts
just type your ip address in your internet browser (ex.192.168.0.1) then login, the default is usually admin/admin and search around until you find the wireless channel settings. The default is usually set to 6. Change this either up or down (higher number = higher frequency) so you won't have any interferance with any other wireless devices. Save and exit and if your still having problems try again with a channel on the other end of the spectrum.
jz4evr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jz4evr

I had the same problem when i first got mine. Change the channel on your router to either 1 or 11 (i use 11) and you'll be good.deathstar1

i changed it to what you said and it's actually running much faster but still not as fast as it should. i'm gonna play around with it a little more and see what i can do. thanks!

jz4evr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jz4evr
:cry: it has slowed back down to a crawl. i dl the gta trailer and it was under 5 min. then i tired the lair video and now it's back to a like it was before! ahhh!:P alright back to work i guess.
dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts

is your router password protected?
maybe someone is stealing your connection and is creating high traffic
also try shutting down the internet on your computer, even shut down your computer

avlin1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 avlin1122
Member since 2006 • 204 Posts
I remember the 2nd time I dl'd Resistance demo, it took a loooooong time. Maybe an hour, but that's the only thing that took me more than 10 - 15 min. I dl'd some stuff from E3 last night - it was almost lightnening fast. Everything was 5 min or less, even the Mgs trailer was about 7 min.
freham2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freham2001
Member since 2004 • 2719 Posts
So yall suck big time. Mine takes for effing ever. Not as long as the tc's but definately not 10-25 minutes. Thats insane!!! Can you make it dl faster?
chrisjackson85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chrisjackson85
Member since 2006 • 357 Posts

i think the people who say its fast are lucky then,

im in the UK, im certainly not on a poor connection, im on a 20mb connection (2.5mbps) and it always downloads from the PSN at just 1mb (120kbps)