Why do people still preorder games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts
Hi guys i was just in the countdown to KZ2 and soemone brought up a good question, why do people still preorder games"according to Gamestop it is still necessary to do so. Now you can get games anywhere BB, CC, GS, gamecrazy, Target..... so why do people still preorder?
Trixstar99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Trixstar99
Member since 2008 • 455 Posts

I dont =D

Not my thing

mck92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mck92
Member since 2008 • 458 Posts
order online is the way to go.
ocdchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 ocdchild
Member since 2004 • 144 Posts
I like to preorder games so I know how much money I need to save when the game comes out, and I like the ability to add money towards the purchase at any time.
nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts
Some people are just not capable of scraping up money at the time of the games release, so whenever they get some cashola they will just put it towards the game that theyve been waiting for. For myself on the otherhand it is just convenient to walk into the store and grab my game without pulling out my wallet and such. You are correct to say that BB, FS... etc all get games now but some people dont own vehicles or simply just dont have the time and money to bus it everywhere.
DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts

Because the bigger titles still sell out at every location - no matter how many chains carry it.

By preordering the game it fully reserves your copy at launch - whether at midnight or the following day, you don't need to run around town hoping to find a last copy that got overlooked somewhere - you have the peace of mind knowing you have a copy when you want it.

So I would ask why wouldn't you pre-order ANY game that you know you will definitely want? It is easier and less hassle to do that. You just go to the store where you pre-ordered and leave 5 minutes later with the game you want in hand, guarenteed.

Plus occasionally you will get special offers that people who don't pre-order won't get.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
I only Preorder limited edition games.but yea, besides that i really dont see no point..
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I like the preorder packs only on some games that i think they gonna be good, get extra stuff, and i get an xtra case i can use. that's why i always get mine from BestBuy....... there were times i got a free tshirt, a poster, you just wont know.
Xefiroderc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xefiroderc
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts
No need, PS3 games never run out around here, PS2 games are a little different though.
Trx07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Trx07
Member since 2007 • 1851 Posts
Only game i ever Pre-orderd was MGS4, thats coz i HAD to have the game at launch :p
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
I still do. It's easier for me to pay off here and there as I don't have too much money to begin with.
Puscifer_No1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Puscifer_No1
Member since 2006 • 2769 Posts
Cause I want the game when I want it. But only if it's a game I really want. Say for example I've got RE5 preordered, I can leave work drive from work to the nearest GS which will roughly take maybe 20 minutes and then all I'll have to do is just stand and wait (If it has a midnight release). If not I can just walk in and no have to bother with reaching into my pockets for anything other than a reciept
babystapler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 babystapler
Member since 2005 • 1679 Posts
So you're sure you get the game on day one. Also, GameStop sometimes offers bonuses to people who preorder (R2 beta codes, MGO beta code, KZ2 demo, etc.). I only preorder when I'm worried the game will sell out or if there's a worthwhile bonus.
smeags11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 smeags11
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
ive only pre-ordered once and it was an accident
polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts
the people at my gamestop always tell me that i have to preorder this game or it won't be there when i come in, never preordered a game and the store always had plenty of copies left for me.
Lupivdaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lupivdaman
Member since 2007 • 525 Posts
I only Preorder limited edition games.but yea, besides that i really dont see no point..LP4EVA2005
Me too I just preorder Limited editions last game I preordered was Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Limited Edition
hooded1man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hooded1man
Member since 2004 • 1099 Posts
Generally you get benefits, also it insures that you get a copy. Why wouldnt you want that?
Mix-Master_415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mix-Master_415
Member since 2008 • 205 Posts
I pre-order to guarantee a copy for myself on big releases like GTA IV.
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
Hi guys i was just in the countdown to KZ2 and soemone brought up a good question, why do people still preorder games"according to Gamestop it is still necessary to do so. Now you can get games anywhere BB, CC, GS, gamecrazy, Target..... so why do people still preorder?POPEYE1716
The only time I still preorder games is for free stuff. Sometimes it's an extra character, getting into a beta, unlocked weapons, etc. Also I live in a small town so for big games I'll sometimes preorder it to make sure I get a copy. My town has two places to get games: GameStop and Wal-Mart. For some odd reason my local Wal-Mart rarely gets the games out when they are supposed to, so pre-ordering a highly anticipated game at GS lets me get it on launch day.
Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#20 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts
Hi guys i was just in the countdown to KZ2 and soemone brought up a good question, why do people still preorder games"according to Gamestop it is still necessary to do so. Now you can get games anywhere BB, CC, GS, gamecrazy, Target..... so why do people still preorder?POPEYE1716
Same thing i was wondering, last game i preordered was Zelda DS and i payed 5 bucks, then i couldnt go pick up the game till like a week later and the guy said tht i shouldnt preorder games tht much because they always hav big stock in games. And i hated Zelda DS so i ended up selling it so i dont preorder anymore (only game i preordereed). But ya theres plenty of stores 2 get games at, np need 2. Unless u really wanted something tht when u preorder a game u get something (example: Headband with Street Fighter IV) or if a very big game was comin out and u wanted 2 play it the day it came out and u didnt want 2 travel 2 a bunch of stores 2 find it.
POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts
all good points here but i just go to bestbuy on release day and pick it up and pay then play with no problems. The only game i was worried about BB not having(running out) was GTA San Andreas, but they had plenty in stock. I have never heard of a place that ran out of games ever. I think retail stores buy popular games in large quantities so they dont run out and to sell more.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts
i never pre order games i think it's a waste of time.
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
i do on certain games, like god of war 3, or mgs4, R2 and so on, and reason i do it its easier for me to put some money here and there instead of going on release day and i might not have money by then. besides the GS by me always sells out on games that are released
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
most people do it for all the little stuff you get with it ... ive pretty much stopped doing it mainly because i hate how GS runs their company. (gamestop just for clarrification).
thanos723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thanos723
Member since 2006 • 871 Posts
I only preorder if 1)I think its gonna be a hot title and will sell out, or due to the holiday season it'll be sold out(but now that i live in AK i never have that problem) 2) A store is offering a nice little bonus for preordering. I'm a collector of crap, and for some reason...when they say "free keychain!" I may just have to have it. I don't always preorder though. Most of the time it comes down to what they are giving me. last few games i preordered for example: Far Cry 2 : Bonus code for extra missions Resistance 2 : Access to public beta Fallout 3 : Soundtrack and Poster
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
I like paying for games bit by bit. I work in the mall, so I usually give GS money every day or so on my lunch break.
thanos723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thanos723
Member since 2006 • 871 Posts
this just in! Killzone 2 preorder, demo of Killzone via PSN. Yep, I'll be preordering that in my future.
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CanadianCR
Member since 2008 • 3824 Posts

I think people just do it so they can pre-order it, then pay it off slowly .. but no matter what it will never technically be sold out everywhere .. so I find zero point to it ..

james007_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 james007_14
Member since 2007 • 3036 Posts
I pre-order the really big titles so that i know i will have it the day it comes out. I can also pay it little by little till it is paided off.
emma_north1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 emma_north1
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I only preorder a game if it's one that I've been wanting and watching for ages so that I can get it as early as possible at my door. And when you preorder from Game online you always get a day or two early as well. However for the most part I wait until it's out and give it a month for the prices to fall!
motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts
I stopped pre-ordering June 11th. MGS4 wasn't available for mdnight pickup at the Gamestop where I preordered, but it was at the location right down the street. That ended my pre-ordering days.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
The only game I pre ordered was GTA IV becuase I knew it was going to sell out
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
I pre-order limited edition games, games I know are not as popular, and games with awesome pre-order bonuses.
mffmiguel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mffmiguel
Member since 2005 • 485 Posts
Thats the reason i do it I get paid at the end of each month, so if there are games i want that are being released the following month then i pay them in full in advance. Alot of people do it for that reason. I just wish gamestop wasnt the only place that did that. I woud perfer if walmart did something like that, cause there is always a chance that they get the games at midnight. And i will pay for KZ2 and RE5 in full with this months check.