Why can't the Vita use micro SD's?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

revolution2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 revolution2k6
Member since 2005 • 1446 Posts

I dont get why it wont use micro SDs for game saves/media files/ etc.. seems cheaper, and they're tiny enough as is. why do we need a new form of file storage for vita? other than it being a cash grab.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#2 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
Sony gives two reasons: 1. It will (supposedly) ensure reliable data transfer rates and ensure that every player has the same load time. 2. Serve as a copy-protection measure, since your PSN account will be tied to the card rather than the system. I read this only yesterday. http://blogs.bettor.com/The-PlayStation-Vita-can-support-multiple-PlayStation-Network-accounts-according-to-Sony-a117287
revolution2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 revolution2k6
Member since 2005 • 1446 Posts

So, the reason they care is for piracy. Thats the only "valid" one I see.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

revolution2k6
It is a good one though
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

revolution2k6
Two reasons really. To help prevent piracy and greed. I say greed because of how much they are charging for the memory cards. There is just no call for it other than pure greed.
ravine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 ravine1
Member since 2005 • 833 Posts

money

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I would rather is used the same memory sticks as the PSP, would be much easier. Link my account and pop in the stick from my PSP Go
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I don't have much of a problem with the Vita using it's own memory card; rather, I have a problem with high price tag. Sony is kind of greedy.

scottahuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 scottahuch
Member since 2003 • 1580 Posts

They don't use standard SD or micro SD cards so they can charge a premium price and make more money. It is very likely that the manufacturing cost is the same as regular SD cards.

The other reasons as others have stated are also true, it does provide an extra layer of security and piracy prevention, but I believe that a larger profit is the main reason.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Granpire
I wouldn't say that it prevents piracy as much as game-sharing. I think it's important to make that distinction. I also think the cards are grossly overpriced, and if the games that I want to play don't support saving on the game card, I won't be buying a Vita until the card prices drop drastically.
Jack_240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#11 Jack_240
Member since 2009 • 522 Posts

because it wants your wallet.

Seriously, how did the vita become from a must-buy to wait-till-a-price-cut ? I'll never know. I wasn't going to launch day but since the mutliple accounts that use per memory card it's just ridiculous.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

money

ravine1
Yup. Same reason Sony crafted a new memory format for the PSP Go, although that sort of backfired.
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Granpire
I'm afraid Sony had a good thing going, but with all this news, they are losing supporters left and right. Something's going to have to give...
CCpotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CCpotter
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts

I dont get why it wont use micro SDs for game saves/media files/ etc.. seems cheaper, and they're tiny enough as is. why do we need a new form of file storage for vita? other than it being a cash grab.

revolution2k6

So when your storage crashed you have to buy a new one from them, that's the reason

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts

money

ravine1
Can't think of anything else
JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 JNKtastic
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts
Since the appearance of external storage devices, Sony has almost ALWAYS used their own proprietary media storage devices to match their own products. One of the few exceptions to this trend is their Reader (eBook reader) which uses the microSD format. Since the appearance of the Clie (PDA running Palm OS for those unfamiliar) in 2000, first line of VAIO laptops, first line of Cyber-shot cameras... Sony's been using Memory Sticks for additional external storage. The Memory Stick technology is 'old'; it first came out in 1998. Is it really that much a surprise that - 13 years later and in time for the release of a new piece of technology - they're changing to a new method? Now with the push towards digital downloads rather than in-your-hand products and given Sony's attitude towards piracy and given their reaction towards piracy (very frequent firmware updates to patch up what CFW exploits), a new proprietary storage method was bound to happen. As is, you can't 'lock' a microSD card or any other current storage card to an account in the way that a SIM card for a mobile phone might be able to do, for example, which is similar to what Sony is wanting to do with their new storage card and the Vita. I'm not saying I agree with Sony's decision to do this; on the other hand, this is also hardly unexpected given Sony's history.
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Granpire
The Memory Stick technology is 'old'; it first came out in 1998. Is it really that much a surprise that - 13 years later and in time for the release of a new piece of technology - they're changing to a new method?JNKtastic
Ehhh, not really true. Memory Stick technology started out in 1998, but it's been constantly updated with each new iteration, to improve speed and storage sizes. I'm not saying Sony's cards were ever the best, nor were they better in any way than other cards. But to say that Memory Stick technology is 'old' is false. Memory Sticks were never outdated, just overpriced.
JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 JNKtastic
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts
[QUOTE="JNKtastic"]The Memory Stick technology is 'old'; it first came out in 1998. Is it really that much a surprise that - 13 years later and in time for the release of a new piece of technology - they're changing to a new method?Granpire
Ehhh, not really true. Memory Stick technology started out in 1998, but it's been constantly updated with each new iteration, to improve speed and storage sizes. I'm not saying Sony's cards were ever the best, nor were they better in any way than other cards. But to say that Memory Stick technology is 'old' is false. Memory Sticks were never outdated, just overpriced.

Sorry I didn't clarify. I meant 'old' in the sense of doing what Sony wants to do with the Vita in particular - the whole bit about locking the new cards (game carts and storage media) to a single PSN account and such - not so much as 'old' in the fact that it's actually outdated.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts

[QUOTE="revolution2k6"]

CCpotter

So when your storage crashed you have to buy a new one from them, that's the reason

I've never had a sony card crash