Why call it Bioshock?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts
I always wondered why the game is called "Bioshock." Is it revealed in the story or something? Does anyone know?
polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts
it's a game name, it sounds cool, there doesent have to be a huge story behind it.
bigburd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bigburd
Member since 2004 • 1281 Posts
the shock part was probably because it was a "spiritual succsesor(sp?)" to system shock, bio probably because of biology since your doing all those crazy things with the upgrades and what not.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 parvie
[QUOTE="bigburd"]the shock part was probably because it was a "spiritual succsesor(sp?)" to system shock, bio probably because of biology since your doing all those crazy things with the upgrades and what not.[/Q
it's a game name, it sounds cool, there doesent have to be a huge story behind it.polishkid99
So your implying that all game names that sound cool don't need to have a reasoning behind it? I think they do.
stuarthanley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 stuarthanley
Member since 2003 • 902 Posts

You asked the question, these guys bothered to answer it.

You've obviously only asked so that you can start an arguement.

Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fire-of-Njozi
Member since 2009 • 468 Posts
I always wondered why the game is called "Bioshock." Is it revealed in the story or something? Does anyone know?parvie
because it's the spiritual successor to System Shock. "Bio" is an obvious choice, since the core gameplay elements revolve around biological enhancements that can be obtained/modified throughout the game. "Shock" provides the necessary symmetry between System Shock and this new successor franchise.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 parvie

You asked the question, these guys bothered to answer it.

You've obviously only asked so that you can start an arguement.

stuarthanley
What!? No, honestly I wanted to know and I dont want to start an argument. Sorry if it came out that way.
CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 CannedWorms
Member since 2009 • 3381 Posts
So your implying that all game names that sound cool don't need to have a reasoning behind it? I think they do.parvie
No, they don't. It's just a name, as long as the game itself is good the title doesn't matter, I don't see the reason behind this thread. Why call it Fallout? Why call it Mirrors Edge? I could go on all day, but I don't want to be arguing over something so pointless.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 parvie
[QUOTE="CannedWorms"][QUOTE="parvie"] So your implying that all game names that sound cool don't need to have a reasoning behind it? I think they do.

No, they don't. It's just a name, as long as the game itself is good the title doesn't matter, I don't see the reason behind this thread. Why call it Fallout? Why call it Mirrors Edge? I think they call it fallout because of all the debris and radiation that is "falling out" of DC? And Mirror's Edge is called that maybe because the girl you play as is really good at balancing herself, even on a mirror's edge? I could go on all day, but I don't to be arguing over something so pointless.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 parvie
[QUOTE="parvie"] So your implying that all game names that sound cool don't need to have a reasoning behind it? I think they do.CannedWorms
No, they don't. It's just a name, as long as the game itself is good the title doesn't matter, I don't see the reason behind this thread. Why call it Fallout? Why call it Mirrors Edge? I could go on all day, but I don't want to be arguing over something so pointless.

I think they call it fallout because of all the debris and radiation that is "falling out" of DC? And Mirror's Edge is called that maybe because the girl you play as is really good at balancing herself, even on a mirror's edge?
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 parvie
ooops, double post, sorry.
CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CannedWorms
[QUOTE="CannedWorms"][QUOTE="parvie"] So your implying that all game names that sound cool don't need to have a reasoning behind it? I think they do.parvie

I think they call it fallout because of all the debris and radiation that is "falling out" of DC? And Mirror's Edge is called that maybe because the girl you play as is really good at balancing herself, even on a mirror's edge?

Well yeah, it's all about opinions. A title for a game may relate to the game itself, depending on how you look at it. For example I don't think "Fallout" means you're falling out of DC, but you do.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 parvie
[QUOTE="parvie"][QUOTE="CannedWorms"] No, they don't. It's just a name, as long as the game itself is good the title doesn't matter, I don't see the reason behind this thread. Why call it Fallout? Why call it Mirrors Edge? I could go on all day, but I don't want to be arguing over something so pointless.CannedWorms

Well yeah, it's all about opinions. A title for a game may relate to the game itself, depending on how you look at it. For example I don't think "Fallout" means you're falling out of DC, but you do.

You misunderstand, I didn't mean that "you" are falling out of DC, I meant all of the debris and radiation and all the nasty contaminants that are spewing out. get it?
CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CannedWorms
[QUOTE="CannedWorms"][QUOTE="parvie"] I think they call it fallout because of all the debris and radiation that is "falling out" of DC? And Mirror's Edge is called that maybe because the girl you play as is really good at balancing herself, even on a mirror's edge?parvie

You misunderstand, I didn't mean that "you" are falling out of DC, I meant all of the debris and radiation and all the nasty contaminants that are spewing out. get it?

You're reading into it too much. A game with a non-generic name is fine for me, it doesn't have to have a meaning.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 parvie
[QUOTE="parvie"][QUOTE="CannedWorms"]Well yeah, it's all about opinions. A title for a game may relate to the game itself, depending on how you look at it. For example I don't think "Fallout" means you're falling out of DC, but you do.CannedWorms

You're reading into it too much. A game with a non-generic name is fine for me, it doesn't have to have a meaning.

And I respect your opinion.
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
Why call anything anything? why call Uncharted, Uncharted? names don't necessarily have to make sense..
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
Ok let's end this once and for all about Fallout's name. Fallout is the residual radiation hazard from a nuclear explosion, so named because it "falls out" of the atmosphere into which it is spread during the explosion. It's what takes tons of lives even after the initial blast from a nuclear explosion. The area outside the vaults in Fallout 3 is the result of a nuclear explosion and also where you spend most of your time. Hence the name "Fallout". Just like the title of a book, the title of a game tells you something about the game. The other posts in this topic about System Shock and the Biological elements of BioShock nailed it on the head for the TC question.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
Why call anything anything? why call Uncharted, Uncharted? names don't necessarily have to make sense..americahellyeah
As far as I know, Nathan Drake was exploring what's known as "Uncharted Territory".
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
[QUOTE="americahellyeah"]Why call anything anything? why call Uncharted, Uncharted? names don't necessarily have to make sense..The_Rick_14
As far as I know, Nathan Drake was exploring what's known as "Uncharted Territory".

Well he had a map of it though? and there where bigs maps on the walls in some places..
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 parvie
Ok let's end this once and for all about Fallout's name. Fallout is the residual radiation hazard from a nuclear explosion, so named because it "falls out" of the atmosphere into which it is spread during the explosion. It's what takes tons of lives even after the initial blast from a nuclear explosion. The area outside the vaults in Fallout 3 is the result of a nuclear explosion and also where you spend most of your time. Hence the name "Fallout". Just like the title of a book, the title of a game tells you something about the game. The other posts in this topic about System Shock and the Biological elements of BioShock nailed it on the head for the TC question. The_Rick_14
Agreed.
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 I_pWnzz_YoU
Member since 2007 • 6032 Posts
Why is Far Cry called Far Cry? Is someone crying in the distance?
matt_goose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 matt_goose
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Ok let's end this once and for all about Fallout's name. Fallout is the residual radiation hazard from a nuclear explosion, so named because it "falls out" of the atmosphere into which it is spread during the explosion. It's what takes tons of lives even after the initial blast from a nuclear explosion. The area outside the vaults in Fallout 3 is the result of a nuclear explosion and also where you spend most of your time. Hence the name "Fallout". Just like the title of a book, the title of a game tells you something about the game. The other posts in this topic about System Shock and the Biological elements of BioShock nailed it on the head for the TC question. The_Rick_14

Whay! At least someone knows what the term Fallout means, obviously some of these people have no clue about science...

As for Uncharted, the games is set on a uncharted isle, hence the name!
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

While playing, I came up with 2 theories:

1- When you use the plasmids for the first time (Electrobolt) you can see how this is not a friendly process. Your body is like shocked, thus Bioshock.

2- It has to do with the whole genetic re-structure theme through the whole game.

Agaiin, these are my theories, so I doubt they are correct.