Why Are Downloadable Games So Expensive??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vanchockstraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vanchockstraw
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I was considering replacing some of my UMD titles with downloadable versions, to increase the load times and put an end to the disc spinning, etc. But then I check and I was somewhat amazed to see how expensive downloads are vs. UMD. Some games are around the same, say Lego Indiana Jones, which is 20 to download and between 15 and 20 in stores. But some games are ridiculously expensive. $39.99 for Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines?" What the huh? It's $17.99 at Amazon. And even at a retail store, it's maybe 20 to 22 bucks. Why is it TWICE the cost to download? Shouldn't it cost LESS, since it removes the need for physical packaging and shipping? Is there anyone out there (who doesn't have a PSP Go) who would actually agree to pay 40 bucks for a game you can never sell or trade, when you can have the exacts game for half the price (and sell it when you're done)? I really don't understand the reasoning behind downloading. Can anyone explain how this makes sense?
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Simple. PSN rarely readjust its prices after release except during sale events.

vanchockstraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 vanchockstraw
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Just seems nuts. 40 bucks for a game that's been out for months? Isn't there anyone at Sony that realizes they'd sell 3 times as many copies they cut the price in half? I can see high prices when the game is released, but shouldn't the download price match the brick and mortar price as it drops over the months? Guess not.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

I just picked up GTA Chinatown Wars for 15 dollars (sale this week), pretty good deal imo. Persona 3 Portable is also 5 dollars cheaper than retail. It's not all overpriced, just that retail price drops much faster in the same amount of time.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#5 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Euhm, there's a very simple reason for that. You're buying it firsthand from Sony. Sony doesn't need to clear a stock, pay for handling fees, go into competition with other stores for its product (I said store, not company), etc. They are their own market when it comes to DD and that makes them a monopoly. But even with an actual product, the firsthand seller will rarely drop its prices as he's the main branch and a sure shot for the product. There's no comparing Amazon to Sony, as both handle different purchase policies. You'll see a decline in product cost at some point sure, but that will always be well after enough units have been sold and the main profit margin has been achieved.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Considering that there is no competition for digital distribution on the PS Store, there's no real reason for them to change the prices unless if they want to try and boost sales. It's frustrating, but that's why I like having options.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts
I was considering replacing some of my UMD titles with downloadable versions, to increase the load times and put an end to the disc spinning, etc. But then I check and I was somewhat amazed to see how expensive downloads are vs. UMD. Some games are around the same, say Lego Indiana Jones, which is 20 to download and between 15 and 20 in stores. But some games are ridiculously expensive. $39.99 for Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines?" What the huh? It's $17.99 at Amazon. And even at a retail store, it's maybe 20 to 22 bucks. Why is it TWICE the cost to download? Shouldn't it cost LESS, since it removes the need for physical packaging and shipping? Is there anyone out there (who doesn't have a PSP Go) who would actually agree to pay 40 bucks for a game you can never sell or trade, when you can have the exacts game for half the price (and sell it when you're done)? I really don't understand the reasoning behind downloading. Can anyone explain how this makes sense?vanchockstraw
To answer your question Coolyfett says no! It makes no sense. One thing about PSN is they update their info late. Coolyfett just bought Bloodlines at Target for 22 bux...and its 40 on PSN like the poster stated. Their films are also too high, one is better off getting the DVD for 5bux rip it and through it to your memory stick. Now Coolyfett is not a huge fan of file sharing to short change movie firms, but the Big 6 need to call PSN and get a handle on that. They could make SO MUCH cash. Coolyfett also feels the sticks are overpriced, which also prevents him from owning more PSN property...he has no space left. Overall PSN product is over priced.
deejaypsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deejaypsp
Member since 2010 • 274 Posts
Yes, the PSN is way overpriced on pretty much everything. The only things I've gotten off the PSN are a few PSOne classics, but only because I can't get those games on UMD...
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

PSP Go purchasers are a captive audience, son. Of course they'll charge what they see fit to charge. Why shouldn't they? If you bought a Go, you have no choice but to pay or sit and moan.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

It would kind of suck to have to pay as much or more for a download when for years you've heard companies say that one of the reasons games cost so much is the packaging, shipping, materials..So when they get there chance to put there money were their mouths are they actually charge more... Which speaks volumes about why the Go didn't "go" anywhere.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
Yah, lol Madden 10 is still 39.99, and 11 is out.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18802 Posts
Euhm, there's a very simple reason for that. You're buying it firsthand from Sony. Sony doesn't need to clear a stock, pay for handling fees, go into competition with other stores for its product (I said store, not company), etc. They are their own market when it comes to DD and that makes them a monopoly. But even with an actual product, the firsthand seller will rarely drop its prices as he's the main branch and a sure shot for the product. There's no comparing Amazon to Sony, as both handle different purchase policies. You'll see a decline in product cost at some point sure, but that will always be well after enough units have been sold and the main profit margin has been achieved.Daavpuke
add to the fact that PSPgo owners have no choice.
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
because they don't actually want digital distribution to take off. it's the only explanation, looking at the psp go and high digital game prices.
leechant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 leechant
Member since 2005 • 214 Posts

I don't think are are very expensive.

I work for GAMEretail. take thisfor example,

modnation racers @ GAME £24.99 and the PSN store £16.99

Ratchet and Clank @ GAME £14.99 and the PSN store £6.99

Little Big Planet @ Game £19.99 and the PSN store £14.99

Ok not all games are cheap on the PSN store like metal gear £16.99 @ GAME and £31.99 on the PSN store :(

There are bargains to be found on the PSN store ALWAYS.

rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 rubedisky
Member since 2009 • 1024 Posts
[QUOTE="vanchockstraw"]I was considering replacing some of my UMD titles with downloadable versions, to increase the load times and put an end to the disc spinning, etc. But then I check and I was somewhat amazed to see how expensive downloads are vs. UMD. Some games are around the same, say Lego Indiana Jones, which is 20 to download and between 15 and 20 in stores. But some games are ridiculously expensive. $39.99 for Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines?" What the huh? It's $17.99 at Amazon. And even at a retail store, it's maybe 20 to 22 bucks. Why is it TWICE the cost to download? Shouldn't it cost LESS, since it removes the need for physical packaging and shipping? Is there anyone out there (who doesn't have a PSP Go) who would actually agree to pay 40 bucks for a game you can never sell or trade, when you can have the exacts game for half the price (and sell it when you're done)? I really don't understand the reasoning behind downloading. Can anyone explain how this makes sense?Coolyfett
To answer your question Coolyfett says no! It makes no sense. One thing about PSN is they update their info late. Coolyfett just bought Bloodlines at Target for 22 bux...and its 40 on PSN like the poster stated. Their films are also too high, one is better off getting the DVD for 5bux rip it and through it to your memory stick. Now Coolyfett is not a huge fan of file sharing to short change movie firms, but the Big 6 need to call PSN and get a handle on that. They could make SO MUCH cash. Coolyfett also feels the sticks are overpriced, which also prevents him from owning more PSN property...he has no space left. Overall PSN product is over priced.

The sticks prices are very good now. 8GB for less than 30 bucks is really good.
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Daavpuke
[QUOTE="Daavpuke"]Euhm, there's a very simple reason for that. You're buying it firsthand from Sony. Sony doesn't need to clear a stock, pay for handling fees, go into competition with other stores for its product (I said store, not company), etc. They are their own market when it comes to DD and that makes them a monopoly. But even with an actual product, the firsthand seller will rarely drop its prices as he's the main branch and a sure shot for the product. There's no comparing Amazon to Sony, as both handle different purchase policies. You'll see a decline in product cost at some point sure, but that will always be well after enough units have been sold and the main profit margin has been achieved.PSP107

Well, they chose that themselves, didn't they?
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="Daavpuke"]Euhm, there's a very simple reason for that. You're buying it firsthand from Sony. Sony doesn't need to clear a stock, pay for handling fees, go into competition with other stores for its product (I said store, not company), etc. They are their own market when it comes to DD and that makes them a monopoly. But even with an actual product, the firsthand seller will rarely drop its prices as he's the main branch and a sure shot for the product. There's no comparing Amazon to Sony, as both handle different purchase policies. You'll see a decline in product cost at some point sure, but that will always be well after enough units have been sold and the main profit margin has been achieved.Daavpuke

Well, they chose that themselves, didn't they?

Word.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Daavpuke
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MonkeySpot

.Daavpuke

Flippin' GREAT, Man!!! Very funny stuff! Thanks, I needed that!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

XXI_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 XXI_World
Member since 2008 • 2050 Posts

.Daavpuke

I really didn't understand that. :(

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

[QUOTE="Daavpuke"] .XXI_World

I really didn't understand that. :(

Lol. I understood it the third time I read over it, because it's Microsoft 'Word', get it?

afrodudeman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 afrodudeman123
Member since 2009 • 178 Posts

I dont think that are expensive I think they take up a lot of space on your memory stick

XXI_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 XXI_World
Member since 2008 • 2050 Posts

I dont think that are expensive I think they take up a lot of space on your memory stick

afrodudeman123

Yeah, and memory sticks are rather expensive.

@blacknight06

I still don't understand :(.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18802 Posts

[QUOTE="afrodudeman123"]

XXI_World

Yeah, and memory sticks are rather expensive.

@blacknight06

I still don't understand :(.

memory stciks are expensive? You can get a 4 GB for $19.99 or even less than that online.