Who thinks the Playstation Portable is terribly underrated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Comrade_Buff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Comrade_Buff
Member since 2009 • 241 Posts
I, personally beleive that the Playstation Portable is terribly underrated for such a superb device. Who agrees? Who disagrees? Why?
Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
Ya, its a shame third party developers arent making games on it D:... But a great multimedia device...
Comrade_Buff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Comrade_Buff
I beleive that the PSP has many great games and people just don't know how to explore or demo a game.
BMAC520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BMAC520
Member since 2004 • 310 Posts
i believe that it is underrated. The games, graphics, and everything the psp can do (video, pics) are all better that the DS. My only problem with the psp is that for a mobile gaming device, it takes too long to load, but other than that I love it way more than the ds. Oh yeah, it looks better too
wado-karate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 wado-karate
Member since 2007 • 3831 Posts
Its not really underrated. Its just overshadowed by the DS.
hunterdude01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hunterdude01
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
i think that they should make more psp games .... every body thinks that its dead but this comin years their are goin to be great titles available for it
Comrade_Buff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Comrade_Buff
Please collaborate.
YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts
It does have many great games, but has much more potential. It may be underrated, but I wouldn't say 'terribly' underrated. It has enough good games, but not as many or as broad a selection as other options. The mutlimedia features are nice, but do not exceed over other specific devices. But it does have a nice, good sized screen. I'd like to see it live up more to its potential. I'm really happy with mine though!
flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts
It's very underrated and it has so much potential. It just needs some more good games. It pisses me off that Call of Duty 4 can go to the DS but not PSP. It would be pretty great on the PSP. But Resistance is coming out soon so no need to get mad.
Comrade_Buff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Comrade_Buff
I disagree with almost all of you that say there are no or very few great games for the PSP. There are great games for more great games to come.
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
I disagree with almost all of you that say there are no or very few great games for the PSP. There are great games for more great games to come.Comrade_Buff
I agree. I've played over 20 PSP games and they are all great.
FendersONLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 FendersONLY
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts
I, personally beleive that the Playstation Portable is terribly underrated for such a superb device. Who agrees? Who disagrees? Why?Comrade_Buff
I totally agree, but its hard to please everybody I guess... Yes the lack of constant good titles coming out does steer a lot of people away, but for me it's like awesome when one comes out, cuz its just crazy how much more you enjoy it that way.
reznor420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 reznor420
Member since 2003 • 852 Posts

I've had a ds since launch and only just got a psp now because I finally ignored all the bad rap the psp has been getting. Don't get me wrong, I love my ds and all the games but seriously, the PSP owns.

IMO it is pretty underrated. Especially the games. There haven't been that many games coming out lately because of the aformentioned reasons and of piracy but people have to lighten up, it's so different from any other handheld out there and I just love it. I also try to ignore the reviews for any psp game and try to research the stuff I'm into myself. I have to say the reviews for many many games don't give them justice. It's a very different handheld with a great variety of things to use it for. I hope things turn around for the system this year because it deserves some more attention.

4dry4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 4dry4n
Member since 2007 • 1411 Posts
It's just Ok. The reason why it's underatted is because of how bulky it is & the lack of 2nd analog nub w/c makes some games bad. If you say that the PSP has no games then your a fanboy. Just look at the quality of it's top 10, plus it has the best racing games on any portable. nuff said!
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

unfortunately Sony sort of abandoned PSP when PS3 was released since they shifted their focus on their new console... thus ended up with PSP have fewer exclusives and much less 3rd party support... its really a shame since i think PSP is an amazing handheld with so much potential... luckily seems like 2009 will be a better year for PSP... i just cant wait for Resistance, Patapon2, Locoroco2, Parasite Eve, KH & FF games and hopefully LBP & Motorstorm :)

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
*Raises hand* As the name says, it's a portable PlayStation. And that alone makes it awesome.
elfimis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 elfimis
Member since 2008 • 1099 Posts

*Raises hand* As the name says, it's a portable PlayStation. And that alone makes it awesome.Floppy_Jim

Hahahaha, this is the best answer here. I think it is underrated as well, i just dont really see how such a superb device gets overshadowed by the D.S. ...... *sighs*

pokenerdlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pokenerdlee
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Your right and your wrong. In my opinion, it is overrated and underrated. Its had its ups and downs.
Sw33t_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sw33t_D
Member since 2008 • 146 Posts
I dont think its underrated, I just think that people think its amazing because u can watch movies and listen to movies on it. Yet its a gaming device and yes the grpahics are amazing but the library is a bit lacking compared to the DS. Plus I dont understand why we dont get ports of COD and stuff like that
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I bought mine recently and I'm very happy with my purchase. I've played the DS too, I don't own one but most of my friends do, and I must say, the PSP is much better than the DS. The big difference between the PSP and the DS besides graphics is that PSP games are fun to play while DS games are boring to play. The PSP has fun games like FFVII Crisis Core, Tony Hawk and Daxter while the DS has boring games like Pokemon and Nintendogs.

Right now I have THUG2 Remix, Sonic Rivals 2 and Daxter. A friend is letting me borrow FFVII Crisis Core and that game is sick! The PSP is a great multimedia device too that I can also use like an MP3 player. I don't know how you could hate the PSP or even say the DS is better.

In all honesty, the PSP is the best handheld gaming device I've ever played. I actually have fun playing handheld games now.

inzaneetie013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 inzaneetie013
Member since 2007 • 1385 Posts

I bought mine recently and I'm very happy with my purchase. I've played the DS too, I don't own one but most of my friends do, and I must say, the PSP is much better than the DS. The big difference between the PSP and the DS besides graphics is that PSP games are fun to play while DS games are boring to play. The PSP has fun games like FFVII Crisis Core, Tony Hawk and Daxter while the DS has boring games like Pokemon and Nintendogs.

Right now I have THUG2 Remix, Sonic Rivals 2 and Daxter. A friend is letting me borrow FFVII Crisis Core and that game is sick! The PSP is a great multimedia device too that I can also use like an MP3 player. I don't know how you could hate the PSP or even say the DS is better.

In all honesty, the PSP is the best handheld gaming device I've ever played. I actually have fun playing handheld games now.

GeoffZak
I own both, and for you to say the ds has boring games like pokemon and nintendogs is something that a fanboy would say. Both systems have ups and downs. Have you ever played Ninja gaiden dragon sword, FF IV, Jump! Ultimate Stars, Trauma Center 1 and 2, Phoenix Wright, Elite Beat Agents, Animal Crossing,Dragon Quest remakes, Dragon Quest monsters: Joker, the upcoming Dragon Quest IX and even Mario Kart ds? I am one of the very few ds lite owners in our high school, and those who have seen those games who consider themselves "hardcore" were amazed on those games. They didn't call it cool, but fun. And gaming is all about fun. oh and just so you know, the ds has skate it and Tony Hawk's proving Ground. The psp rocks btw. I watch my fav anime eps on it. As for gaming, I bought mainly because I love fighting games, which the ds lacks
Avatar image for b3yondstupidity
b3yondstupidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 b3yondstupidity
Member since 2007 • 12500 Posts
It isn't really under-rated but people just take more notice of the DS - Considering DS gets most of the Wii games and ports etc. I think 2009 will be a good year for PSP though.
widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#23 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts
I don't think that that the PSP is underrated as a console, it has sold over 40 million units worldwide, I just think that most people who have handheld consoles are children, and children would rather play on a funner handheld, hanse why the DS has done tremendously well. And the PSP has more 3rd party games on it than first party games. Even big series like the Jak and Daxter series when they brung Daxter out on the PSP it was done by a 3rd party developer (Ready at Dawn Studios). I actually think that a propper Final Fantasy game should come out for the PSP, and maybe another Grand Theft Auto. But apart from that the games on the PSP aren't too bad. And if the PSP is underrated then why, upon its release, did it get brilliant reviews.
widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#24 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts
And for those people who get sick of the PSP long load times and crap bettery life take this into consideration. The DS battery lasts between 10-18 hours depending on the screen light level snd volume level and the PSP lasts 6-8 hours depending on the same things, but the DS has cartridges and they load up straight away, but the PSP has a laser and takes discs, so the loads times would be longer, and because the PSP has to power a laser thats why the Battery lasts not long in comparrison. For what a PSP has to do just to even play a game or UMD movie the battery does last a long time. Now I've got both a PSP and a DS and if I was to chose which one was the best, on technical terms the PSP would hammer the DS, but I think the DS has miles better games, and more funner games to play. But I only think this because my two most favourite game series of all time (Zelda and Mario) are Nintendo creations.
Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Devourment423
Member since 2005 • 2163 Posts
I like it.
FallofAthens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FallofAthens
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

[QUOTE="Comrade_Buff"]I disagree with almost all of you that say there are no or very few great games for the PSP. There are great games for more great games to come.Chiddaling
I agree. I've played over 20 PSP games and they are all great.

I find the PSP games to be of better quality, but the DS tends to offer Quanity. I've had more fun with PSP games in the first run through, but compared to the titles on the DS, not including shovelware, the PSP is overshadowed by all that the DS games have to offer. I feel if they picked up on the thrid party companies and start producing more games than what the PSP has offering then I think it could do better than what its doing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts
I wouldn't say underrated, since it has always been looked at positively, but underappreciated, thus lower sales than the DS. I agree completely that the DS is more for younger gamers, and that's why the PSP hasn't sold nearly as well. The game quality is very high, it can do so many things. Look at the new DSi, with it's new functionality. It's trying to compete more with the PSP, me thinks.
gameie1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 gameie1994
Member since 2005 • 353 Posts
*Raises hand* As the name says, it's a portable PlayStation. And that alone makes it awesome.Floppy_Jim
-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts
Nope, its underrated for a reason. Its game lineup is pretty damn bad. But all in all the system is ok.
Avatar image for Ryusuke_Akihiro
Ryusuke_Akihiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ryusuke_Akihiro
Member since 2007 • 425 Posts

I'm quite happy with my PSP. I've owned a DS twice already and played various games on the system but in the end sold them all for my Slim PSP.

Here's a list of games that are out and are coming out that I believe make the PSP totally worth a purchase:

-Star Ocean: First Departure

-Star Ocean: Second Evolution

-Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

-Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

-Disgaea 2 (Recently announced)

-Prinny: Can IReally Be the Hero?

-Dissidia: Final Fantasy

-Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

-Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology

-Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2

-Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

-Jeanne D'Arc

-Daxter

-Secret Agent Clank

-Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

-Metal Gear Acid

- Metal Gear Acid 2

Along with plenty of others but I won't mention them because I think only fans apply.

(Legend of Heroes series, Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force, Final Fantasy Anniversery Editions, etc.)

I have a collection of over 25 games already with 7 games I'm looking forward to, and that's enough for me to see this system as highly successful, but underappreciated because not everyone gives the system a chance. Gamespot's reviews don't help either.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Its not really underrated. Its just overshadowed by the DS.wado-karate
Yeah, I know plenty of people who own a PSP, but pretty much everyone else has a DS, hell, I have two.
optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 optiow
Member since 2008 • 28284 Posts
Yeah PsP is sort of a side arm in the sony arsenal. PsP is unnderrated.
hanzo225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hanzo225
Member since 2006 • 237 Posts
it just needs more games but delelopers quit on it
Krusher26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 129

#34 Krusher26
Member since 2009 • 110 Posts
I think the PSP is a superior system to the DS in terms of power, functionality, and gameplay of the games. However, it faces the same problem that the PS3 and X360 are facing against the Wii: the appeal for the more powerful systems are towards the seasoned or serious gamer but the Nintendo systems are made to appeal to the more casual gamer. I don't see any 75 year olds playing the 360 or PS3, but I actually know a few who play the Wii all the time. Moreover, the DS not only has games like Chrono Trigger, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia or the New Super Mario Bros, it also has an array of Nintendogs games and Pokemon games that the much younger groups love as well as the Brain Age series or Big Brain Academy that appeals to the casual gaming adult. It just seems as though Nintendo has used its casual-play, broad-appealing products to take over the market. I personally prefer the games of the PSP for the handheld system and the X360 for its live arcade and other games.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts
This is getting into SW area.
thegame584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thegame584
Member since 2005 • 141 Posts

I think part of the reason that the PSP isn't doing as well as it could have is this. It's sort of like a less powerful portable ps2, but without a 2nd analog stick and less buttons. Without those it does make it a bit more limiting for games that would be more easily playable with these additions. (Mainly games that require camera control, like platformers and adventure games).

Edit: Also because developers have given up on it.

piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
I do think is way underrated, it's the best thing I've ever bought Everyone should have one
omarsh94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 omarsh94
Member since 2008 • 224 Posts
yeah the psp deserves more praise because of its multiple functions and high quality graphics. Sony really needs to pay more attention to the psp because since the ps3 came out we are seeing less support to the psp .