While a new PlayStation console is coming soon, is it a bad idea to buy a ps4 now?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wandering-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wandering-man
Member since 2016 • 14 Posts

While a new PlayStation console is coming soon, is it a bad idea to buy the traditional PS4?

We hear about PlayStation Neo or (4.5) and surely it will have a better performance, better compatibility with VR, so what you think if some don't have a ps4 now, should he buy a ps4 or wait until the new PlayStation Neo coming??

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@wandering-man:

Unless you really care about performance, don't mind paying a hefty price and have a 4k tv then yeah, wait on the Neo. Otherwise, you're kinda getting ripped off.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

Well, I'm still on the side that thinks this new upgraded PS4 is a bad idea. If you are just like me and want to buy the system because of its games and all then go for it and buy the PS4 now. However, if you want the new system because of the reasons you listed then wait.

We might find out when the new system gets released either at TGS or Playstation Experience.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@wandering-man: There is no new Playstation console coming soon.

You've confused a new rumored playstation and "coming soon". It's not coming soon, if it was, Sony would have told consumers so they can prepare and buy it. It's not announced.

This year Sony is focusing on VR, That's what's announced and it's $399 and requires a PS4.

If you are referring to the rumored Neo/slim, well every generation has a PS slim model, nothing new there.

That said, the Neo is not coming soon as E3 was the time to announce, and Sony is putting their eggs in the VR basket for 2016.

Holiday 2017 is probably the PS4 Slimline release, but that's not very soon. This is all guess work as right now, there is no new playstation coming soon.

If you are all about waiting, why not just wait for a PS9 when you are in an old folks home?

If you sit around and waited for everything, you would have skipped over the NES and still be waiting on newer stuff as life passes you buy.

Personally, I'm not buying the new NEO or Xbone.5 models, I already am content with my launch model machines.

Get a good deal, get a bundle, and have at it. Best time is holidays or random bundle deals at local retailers.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11655 Posts

I think once the Neo is out the gaming community will gain some common sense, it has already been stated what it is, and what it does.

If you think it is a PS4 2.0? You're being ignorant.

It's designed for specific tech in mind, namely VR and 4K. If you're not investing in either, it'll work the same way as a PS4.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

Like MS with their Scorpio, the PS4 Neo is for people with 4K TV's and who wanna try VR. If you got a 1080p TV and you don't want Morpheus, then you don't need the Neo. As for it boosting general game performance (1080p, 60fps) I'm not to sure. If you care about that sort of thing, just get a PC. I'd recommend a GTX 1070, which already out performs the Scorpio.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@killered3 said:

@wandering-man:

Unless you really care about performance, don't mind paying a hefty price and have a 4k tv then yeah, wait on the Neo. Otherwise, you're kinda getting ripped off.

Coolyfett agrees with this guy. The regular PS4 is the better choice for most of the gamers.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

I'd just go for the current model... prices are really good atm (even down here in Aus!). So much so that I'm seriously considering getting one for the exclusives.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#9 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Don't wait. I waited for a 2TB unit that never came to be and all that time waiting could have been spent playing games.

You think Sony is going to let their PS4 market go to piss? There will be games for it for some time.

Avatar image for logicallizard07
logicallizard07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 logicallizard07
Member since 2015 • 325 Posts

I purchased the Uncharted 4 Console when it came out and don't regret it one bit. I don't care about 4k or VR and I just wanted to play some games. I would say go for it if your in it for just the games.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

It will still be a PS4 so unless you have the gear to make use of the advantages ( like a 4K screen or PS VR ) you will still have a PS4 so there's no point waiting.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts

Anyone who has waited this long obviously isn't in a hurry to buy a PS4. So...yeah, why not wait another two months (a little less, actually) until TGS, where Sony will undoubtedly reveal more information regarding their product line and plans for the future. If Neo or a PS4 Slim is due out this holiday season, there will almost certainly be a price reduction to the standard PS4 (and I have to imagine cost/money has been a major factor to anyone who's held off getting a PS4 up till now). Though, even if the PS4 doesn't receive a price cut, by waiting until after TGS, it'll be nearly October, in which case you might as well wait another two months for stores to start rolling out their holiday bundle deals. I don't see how you lose by waiting a few more months.

Unless there's some pressing reason someone needs to act now, and if they're genuinely interested in/curious about what might be on the immediate horizon, I don't see why they wouldn't just wait until they can make the most informed decision and, potentially, get the most bang for their buck. If you've waited nearly 3 years, why not wait another 3-4 months?

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#13 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

I think once the Neo is out the gaming community will gain some common sense, it has already been stated what it is, and what it does.

If you think it is a PS4 2.0? You're being ignorant.

It's designed for specific tech in mind, namely VR and 4K. If you're not investing in either, it'll work the same way as a PS4.

THIS!

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#14 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Sony and MS wouldn't have came out with enhanced versions of their current consoles if they planned on bringing out new system within the next 2.....maybe 3 years.

I know I'm going against the grain, but I believe that both Sony and MS want to do away with traditional consoles and really start to push VR.

I think they are trying to extend the current console cycle and see how well VR does! If the numbers add up, I can VR being the next gaming platform for Both console giants.

I know it's a crazy theory, but I just see that happening.