This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Games_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Games_Guy
Member since 2007 • 436 Posts

Just wanted to know which RPG I should get and some basic ifo about each. How long is each game?

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

There's a recommendation thread for a reason.

With that said I advise you to stay far away from Star Ocean 4. Just an awful game with absolutely no life or excitement to it. Boring as hell.

jlevin860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jlevin860
Member since 2009 • 818 Posts

oblivion or final fantasy. both long games with good custimization (but oblivion is much longer) star ocean is not that great, and watch videos on the combat for dragon age, i don't like the D&D-type damage system.

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

I was going to say Dragon Age, but went with Oblivion instead. I think it's more accessible than DA:O. But you should probably just use the recommendation thread from now on...

tojo555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tojo555
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts

I'd say get FF, or DA:O but I voted for FF, despite all these people spamming about how it's a terrible game, I played the game and I love it, and it doesn't get an 8.5 for nothing. Another recommendation for an RPG I'd make is Demon's Souls, definitely one of the best games released in recent years, though it has a slow learning curve and is more of an Action RPG than a traditional one.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Out of those, it would have to be Star Ocean 4 followed by Oblivion. Star Ocean has a pretty fun combat system, similar to that of the Tales series. Oblivion is a very immersive game, there are so many things to do in that game. But there were a few things wrong with that game that kind of annoyed me, such as the low gravity. (I couldn't run down the stairs, I would have to jump down them.)

StudySession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StudySession
Member since 2009 • 1539 Posts

I would get Oblivion. It is dirt cheap and it's a great game.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#8 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Out of them - Oblivion

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

oblivion - it has hundrets of playtime hours , its a great game , have also F113 and SO4 , pleyed SO4 for a while but didnt seem to be as good as oblivion and FF13 is waiting still unplayed on my desk (just because of free time lack caused by my job lol)

Armored_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Armored_
Member since 2010 • 186 Posts

Why aren't you considering Demons Souls?

IPwnNooBs666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 IPwnNooBs666
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts

I would go with FF XIII. That game is beyond awesome. A close second would be Star Ocean Last Hope. Awesome game!

The_Games_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Games_Guy

Armored_
Well I want something that will last me a while... and from what i've heard, Demon's Souls isnt very long and replayable.
aka_Static

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aka_Static
Member since 2009 • 415 Posts

[QUOTE="Armored_"]

The_Games_Guy

Well I want something that will last me a while... and from what i've heard, Demon's Souls isnt very long and replayable.

Depends on how much you enjoy it the first time through. I've beaten it about 7 times now with around 100 hours of gameplay.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

don't know what you guys see in oblivion its not that great...personally I would go with Dragon age or FF13. But maybe thats my hate for first person RPGS with the exception of fallout3

coolseth123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 coolseth123
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts

Dragon Age is decent, but if you have a good computer, get it for the computer instead. If you like open ended you will like Oblivion, there are a lot of interesting things to do, but the story is really bad. I recently finished FF13, and it was well worth $60, i was a tad disappointed though. FF13, Oblivion, and Dragon Age are all good choices, i would recommend Oblivion at the moment because its only $20 and has over 100 hours of gameplay(assuming your actually going to do all the sidequests).

CravenMenthol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 CravenMenthol
Member since 2008 • 47 Posts
I just bought Dragon Age and I can't stop playing it. It's a great RPG that is Fable like in the most sense and tons of replay ability. Oblivion is also good but it is out dated. But if you want to only spends 20 bucks go for it. I love RPGs you get more bang for the buck!!
azzezino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 azzezino
Member since 2002 • 4570 Posts
TC you should get either Last Rebellion or Enchanted Arms.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bb421ab1b937
deactivated-5bb421ab1b937

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 deactivated-5bb421ab1b937
Member since 2010 • 354 Posts

I played Dragon Age for about 16 hours straight after I bought it.

The_Games_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The_Games_Guy
TC you should get either Last Rebellion or Enchanted Arms.azzezino
Are they nice long games that will last me??
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 yokofox33

[QUOTE="azzezino"]TC you should get either Last Rebellion or Enchanted Arms.The_Games_Guy
Are they nice long games that will last me??

It's a joke. The Last Rebellion is terrible. Enchated Arms is actually pretty decent though and will last you about 40 hours.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
i would go with either FF13, or wait for nier coming out at the end of the month
Caduceus06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Caduceus06
Member since 2006 • 790 Posts
Oblivion will be easiest on the wallet and will last you around 40-80 hours depending on how and what you play.
SamuRai_JeDi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SamuRai_JeDi
Member since 2008 • 1019 Posts
None. Demon souls or fallout 3.
The_Games_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Games_Guy
None. Demon souls or fallout 3.SamuRai_JeDi
Um i'm not really feeling demon's souls, and i've already played and beaten fallout 3.
tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 tigertechie
Member since 2009 • 1951 Posts
FFXIII will take a least 200 hours to finish.
tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tigertechie
EA is a terrible game.
The_Games_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Games_Guy

EA is a terrible game.tigertechie
Um... not quite sure what you mean by this...

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

Oblivion

Great combat, lots of free-roaming, fun, addicting, long lasting.

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

I havent play star ocean but according to the reveiws its not as gơod as the rest. Other than that Oblivion was great for the first 20 hours then I got bored of it. Dragon age was really great (just started so opioion may change). There was tons of things to do and it was overwhelming. As for final fantasy I loved the battles and it was very fun but it was way to linear and when it stop getting linear it was sort of werid and confusing at times

Edit: Longest I belive is dragon age

taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

I'd go with Final Fantasy XIII...

Havok04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Havok04
Member since 2009 • 40 Posts

Well you put up 2 WRPGs and 2 JRPGs so which type do you like most?

Honestly, JRPGs got me into the role-playing genre so they are my go-to RPGs and for the life of me I simply cannot get into the Wester RPGs. I purchased Dragon Age, got the platinum trophy and will never touch a WRPG ever again. I just find them bland in terms of leveling up and building up your character.

Even though I haven't played it yet (will purchase it over the week-end once I get my finals out of the way), FFXIII would be my suggestion. To me, JRPGs are the true role-playing games so why not go for the franchise which has mastered it; although they are very keen on changing up the way it plays out with a more real-time fighting mechanism. I've only heard good things about it. ONce I purchase and finish that, Star Ocean 4 will be my next buy. I checked out some youtube clips and it looks like fun even if it's your typical, run of the mills JRPG lol.

tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tigertechie

[QUOTE="tigertechie"]EA is a terrible game.The_Games_Guy

By saying that EA is a terrible game, I mean that EA is a terrible game. Understand?
dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts
Firstly, Dragon Age is alright on PS3, MUCH better on PC. Oblivion actually becomes fun when you get it for PC with the OOO mod/ FCOM. Star Ocean from what I've heard is crap. FFXIII is great from what I've heard, just not that replayable. Demon's Souls has loads of value, it's a decent length in of itself, and has Pvp, and is extremely replayable.
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Oblivion definitely. The best RPG on PS3 in my opinion.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

FFXIII will take a least 200 hours to finish.tigertechie

Also, FF13 isn't 200 hours long, even if you do all the optional missions and max out your stats. You might reach 200 hours if you want to 5star every mission for the trophy

Anyway, back to topic. Out of those I'd say FF13 even though the battle system gets boring post-game (IMO). But I'd rather say get Resonance of Fate. I actually enjoy the gameplay of Resonance of Fate much more than FF13, to bad there isn't much story ingame. Star ocean is actually on my second place when it comes to your list, even though it has some boring parts, the battle system is fantastic (to bad they make it easier if you can play a lot at a time). I never could get into DA and Oblivion because they somehow bored me (same goes with WKC btw)

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 yokofox33

[QUOTE="The_Games_Guy"]

[QUOTE="tigertechie"]EA is a terrible game.tigertechie

By saying that EA is a terrible game, I mean that EA is a terrible game. Understand?

EA = Enchanted Arms for those that don't know.

I thought it was actually pretty decent, but to each his own. Only paying 20 bucks for it also helped in making it a decent game.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

[QUOTE="tigertechie"][QUOTE="The_Games_Guy"] Um... not quite sure what you mean by this...

yokofox33

EA = Enchanted Arms for those that don't know.

I thought it was actually pretty decent, but to each his own. Only paying 20 bucks for it also helped in making it a decent game.

Oh well, Enchanted Arms, I really tried to forget it xD it might have it's good parts, especially the battle system was interesting, but the story and the loooooong loading times were horrible :S

dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts

Oblivion

hanslacher54
Wait, I'm sorry, GOOD COMBAT?!?!?!? Sure, maybe compared to Morrowind, but then, what isn't? Oblivion has terrible, slow, simple combat.

Honestly, JRPGs got me into the role-playing genre so they are my go-to RPGs and for the life of me I simply cannot get into the Wester RPGs. I purchased Dragon Age, got the platinum trophy and will never touch a WRPG ever again. I just find them bland in terms of leveling up and building up your character.

Even though I haven't played it yet (will purchase it over the week-end once I get my finals out of the way), FFXIII would be my suggestion. To me, JRPGs are the true role-playing games so why not go for the franchise which has mastered it; although they are very keen on changing up the way it plays out with a more real-time fighting mechanism. I've only heard good things about it. ONce I purchase and finish that, Star Ocean 4 will be my next buy. I checked out some youtube clips and it looks like fun even if it's your typical, run of the mills JRPG lol.

Havok04
I'm sorry, but you really can't say that JRPGs are the "True" roleplaying games. Really, they aren't even Role Playing Games. RPGs come from PnP games, and the point in having choice, creating your own character, making decisions. Western RPGs do this. Now, I personally think there's nothing wrong with a good JRPG, like FF12, which I loved, but seriously,they don't deserve to be called RPGs. They're just combat games with a story, no character choice at all. You can't roleplay as a Dwarven king, or a pirate, in a FF game. Because you can't role play. You just play as Tidus or Vaan or Lightning. I love some JRPGS, but we really need to get a new name for them.
The_Games_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 The_Games_Guy

[QUOTE="hanslacher54"]

Oblivion

dkjestrup

Wait, I'm sorry, GOOD COMBAT?!?!?!? Sure, maybe compared to Morrowind, but then, what isn't? Oblivion has terrible, slow, simple combat.

Havok04

I'm sorry, but you really can't say that JRPGs are the "True" roleplaying games. Really, they aren't even Role Playing Games. RPGs come from PnP games, and the point in having choice, creating your own character, making decisions. Western RPGs do this. Now, I personally think there's nothing wrong with a good JRPG, like FF12, which I loved, but seriously,they don't deserve to be called RPGs. They're just combat games with a story, no character choice at all. You can't roleplay as a Dwarven king, or a pirate, in a FF game. Because you can't role play. You just play as Tidus or Vaan or Lightning. I love some JRPGS, but we really need to get a new name for them.

You could just call them action adventure game because thats really what they are when it comes down to it...