Which PS3 should I buy? Slim or Super Slim?

JakeLovesYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JakeLovesYou
Member since 2015 • 8 Posts

Hi,

I'm going to college in the next year and have been looking for a console that is good for blu ray, apps like netflix, and has a few good console exclusives I can play once in a while. I know both the xbox one and ps4 would be reasonable choices right about now but I actually have a PC and would rather being playing the newer games on it. Because of this, I've been gravitating more towards the PS3 considering it has blu ray and a lot of exclusives I'd love to play. So with that in mind, my biggest question is this: Should I buy the Slim version or Super Slim?

The only reason I ask is because I hear mixed reviews about either. I don't see myself using very much space so I don't need anything ridiculously sized in storage. Another thing is that I worry about the quality of the super slim based on its disc drive looking pretty cheaply made. I want to make sure I'm buying something that will stand the test of time and is over all the best decision. One final thing, I've seen some deals around for a slim or a super slim for $120 refurbished for either. Would that effect anything or should I avoid getting a used or refurbished console and go with a new super slim since that's the only new version of the ps3? I appreciate any feedback or personal stories that may sway me either way. No real need to convince me for anything else unless if you feel its extremely important I know. I just need help deciding between the two. Thanks!

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

As long as it's a good condition - refurbished Slim PS3 would save you money and the quality for the Slim version (which I have had since its release) is great. I mostly use it for Blu-ray and Netflix, Youtube streaming with occasional game I missed over the years.

I never bothered with super slim since I wasn't a fan of the build, it appears "cheap" and plastic on touch and use. Also the tray to open the blu-rays is too fragile.

Personally I would go for Slim version. It will last and it's a solid piece of hardware.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Personally a Slim would be my choice, it´s much more better built than the Super Slim.

TRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TRPG
Member since 2015 • 271 Posts

Super Slim, theres nothing wrong with it. I like them both equally as much.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I actually have both a 750GB slim and 500GB super slim. It doesn't matter because both are great systems. I didn't like the picture of the super slim's "lines on the door" from my computer screen but when I got it, I was impressed with the build of it. There is nothing wrong with the build of it. The sliding door works perfectly fine and it is just another thing that you won't have to worry about malfunctioning. Looks? Edge to slim. Size? Edge to super slim. Energy efficient? Edge to super slim. Quiet? Equal.

I always prefer NEW over used with wear and tear system but I wouldn't pay retail value (+$200) for super slim right now. No way should you even consider a 12gb model. I have seen used slim being sold for $99-120 which is a great deal and worth the risk of buying used. I think the PS3 is a great system and you could get a ton of great games for real cheap prices.

harrygooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 harrygooch
Member since 2015 • 282 Posts

I would really choose a ps4 since it will last you through college and all your friends can come by and you can play the newer games without the headache that is pc gaming. Games like fifa and cod are easier and better on ps4.

Anyways if I had to choose I would get the slim ps3. I had the super slim and it sucks. Its loud, you can hear the disc and laser spinning. The disc cover is also paper thin so you hear it ALOT. Ruins the game.

But get a new ps4, bestbuy and amazon has them for $299 for cyber monday.

JakeLovesYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JakeLovesYou
Member since 2015 • 8 Posts

@BH14: Thanks for the input. I've been back and forth primarily due to what you posted thinking the same thing. I'd personally not like to go over $200 and black friday deals were almost non-existent for the PS3 in general. I don't think I'll find a reasonably priced, new slim so if I went that route (which I'd prefer to buy) I would have to go refurbished or used (which I worry about it functioning properly in the next few years). I have seen both the slim and super slim similarly priced at places like gamestop where they are refurbished. With that in mind, would you pick one over the other or even go new slim at that point? Disappointed that new slim is practically off the table :(

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BH14

If you can get a brand new 500GB super slim for like $150, I would go that route but I don't see that happening. I bought the 500GB super slim Assassin's Creed bundle for $200 a couple years ago. Right now, Target was selling a 12gb super slim for $200 which is nuts. Best Buy is selling a 500GB super slim for $250 which is absurd. You are better off buying a 160-250GB refurbished slim system from GameStop (It was $100 for 160GB and $120 for 250GB during black friday) or buying it on ebay from trustworthy seller. I am sure GameStop will give you their warranty.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Slim.. Its the best looking and the build quality is good. super slim is trash

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If you want a brand new PlayStation 3 console, Your only option is the PS3 Super slim top loader. Which comes in 500GB models, and a flash memory 12GB model, This is the only version available brand new. It originally launched with a 250GB HDD but now all models are 500GB, the 12GB model is still kicking around, But is most useless.

If your looking for a PlayStation 3 slim model then a used console is your only option. These models are no longer being made. They are available in 120GB, 160GB, 250GB, 320GB models as a very rare 500GB HDD version(s) This is the best version of the PS3 console. If you buy one get it from Gamestop/EB games since they offer a limited warranty or a 1 year replacement plan. You can buy this from Ebay/craigslist as well.

The PS3 slim is the better version.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

You can always upgrade the HDD, no need to go breaking your head trying to find a 320 GB slim and save in the process, actually the system is exactly the same and the difference in price comes from the HDD size; 500 GB HDDs aren´t that expensive, you can find a good WD from 40-50 dollars, all you need to do is download the firmware from PSN and make the physical change ( which is extremely simple ). 500 GBs for that console is a truckload of capacity, you can easily store 80 games in it and still have extra room for updates, saves and such.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BH14

@jakelovesyou:

You could get a used reburbished $99.99 slim PS3 (320gb) from GameStop. Coupon code: SAVER to get free shipping.