This topic is locked from further discussion.

vmvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vmvincent
Member since 2011 • 50 Posts

I wasn't quite sure what forum to write this thread for but I guess I'll put it here since the most recent P3P came out on the PSP.

My question is : What Persona games require me to play previous persona games? I'm not sure about all the SMT: Persona games but I'm aware of 3 and 4 on the PS2 and P3P on the PSP. But apparently 3 had an addon disc and P3P is a revamped version of the third one but then there's also a P1 remake on the PSP as well...

So with all these Persona games out I find it pretty daunting to jump into the series. Can someone outline what games connect with each other and give me a recomendation as to which game to start with? I have both a PS2 and PSP

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
as far as i know the persona games are not connected to each other, i haven't played 1 or 2 yet and only 10% of 3 but after beating 4 the only connection i saw between 3 and 4 was there is a field trip that the students make in 4 that takes them to the school in 3 but was so short and minor that it isn't that important but the series is awesome no matter what games you play
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#3 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
From what I've read and the little I've played, Persona 1 and 2 didn't age well, and they're only important if you want to see a few unique gameplay ideas and origins of the series. Admittedly, there are some unique things within the games, like conversing with monsters, the rumour system, and the stories, but you'll be too mired down by random encounters and repetitive hallways to care anymore. It's something like the older Final Fantasies. Great stories, great music, and great ideas, but there are some things better left in the past.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
[QUOTE="Granpire"]From what I've read and the little I've played, Persona 1 and 2 didn't age well, and they're only important if you want to see a few unique gameplay ideas and origins of the series. Admittedly, there are some unique things within the games, like conversing with monsters, the rumour system, and the stories, but you'll be too mired down by random encounters and repetitive hallways to care anymore. It's something like the older Final Fantasies. Great stories, great music, and great ideas, but there are some things better left in the past.

depends who you trust in their reviews and i have seen more good reviews on 1 and 2 then negative ones, it plays different then 3 and 4 and people use to the 3 and 4 gameplay as disappointed with 1 and 2
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#5 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"] depends who you trust in their reviews and i have seen more good reviews on 1 and 2 then negative ones, it plays different then 3 and 4 and people use to the 3 and 4 gameplay as disappointed with 1 and 2

Of course they are, because 1 and 2 are old games that use old ideas. If Atlus had made a proper remake and redesigned a few dungeons and reduced the frequency of random encounters(or better yet, make them not random), they might have a solid RPG with some unparalled ideas. But as it is, the meat of the game is outdated. Or, maybe random encounters and repetition are things you don't mind. As I see it, we have moved on to better conventions for a reason.
Wrecked69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

#6 Wrecked69
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts
Yeah, none of them are sequels. There are various cameos or references that are found in later Persona games that you might miss, but it wont affect much. I would suggest starting with 3 and then playing 4, neither of the first two were that appealing. It is sad to say they felt rather dated, and I usually dont say that about classic games.
Blackjaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Blackjaw
Member since 2003 • 241 Posts

I say go with P3P, its probably the best version of P3 that you will get and a real solid game.

Conver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Conver
Member since 2003 • 3300 Posts

Persona 3 is great! :D Start with that one. Great story, fun battles, awesome characters. Do it nao! :D