This topic is locked from further discussion.

Superlink517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Superlink517
Member since 2004 • 1849 Posts

It's always sorta been on my mind to get a PS3, but recently, I think I finally decided to get one. After hearing from a Sony representative that the new 80gig wont be backwards compatible (wtf?) I started to feel the pressure. If I want to get a new one, it's going to have to be soon, because I really want that beezy to be backwards compatible.

It would also be very nice to get an HDTV, but I doubt we'll be able to afford one. Do I really need one? Will it still look amazing without one?

Also, I've been hearing a lot about PS3 encountering some problems.. do you think a 2-year extended warranty would be a good idea for an addition $60 I think it is?

I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan, as in, I have all the Nintendo systems, and only Nintendo systems. This would be my first non-Nintendo one. Yeah just thought I'd throw that out there.

Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

It's always sorta been on my mind to get a PS3, but recently, I think I finally decided to get one. After hearing from a Sony representative that the new 80gig wont be backwards compatible (wtf?) I started to feel the pressure. If I want to get a new one, it's going to have to be soon, because I really want that beezy to be backwards compatible.

It would also be very nice to get an HDTV, but I doubt we'll be able to afford one. Do I really need one? Will it still look amazing without one?

Also, I've been hearing a lot about PS3 encountering some problems.. do you think a 2-year extended warranty would be a good idea for an addition $60 I think it is?

I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan, as in, I have all the Nintendo systems, and only Nintendo systems. This would be my first non-Nintendo one. Yeah just thought I'd throw that out there.

Superlink517

Congrats on a very wise decision.

No, you do not need an HDtv. If you do own all Nintendo consoles, then this shouldn't be a big issue for you. The Wii doesn't run on HD (I'm pretty sure) so don'tworry about it. It's a nice improvement, but not at all necessary.

Every console has problems (some more than others) but the PS3 is very reliable. If you're paranoid and feel that you want to play it safe, then by all means, get the warrenty. I wouldn't though because that would be $60 I could spend on a game.

The PS3 and Wii combo is awesome. I've been a PS-thWii member for a while now and I get the best of both worlds. Just though I'd throw that out there.

Peace.

Furycliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Furycliff
Member since 2007 • 676 Posts

You dont need HDTV to enjoy the graphics, games still look nice on SD. However once you try it on HDTV its hard to go back.

I dont think you need the extra warranty, if you read the book that comes with the PS3 on how to poperly use it you should run into 0 problems. And if you do there is a good chance Sony will still fix it for free.

Elnoyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Elnoyle
Member since 2004 • 29 Posts
You won't find a full BC PS3, since they were only with the old 60GB models, and they were discontinued a while ago. So whether or not you get it now or get it later, it shouldn't matter when it comes to BC.
zero-master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 zero-master
Member since 2005 • 69 Posts
I got my PS3 about 6 months after lanch and it's still running good! I even droped it out of a locker about 3 ft. high and it's still running good,like it never fell out of the locker in the first place. Unless you have gotten rid of your PS2, don't worry about backwards compatability. I've been playing PS3 games on it more then the PS2 games. HD tvs can get expensive quick. Is it rquired? No. Does it make the picture look nicer? Absolutly. My personal opinion is unless you already have an HD TV, don't bother getting one just for your PS3, unless your old TV has started to crap out on you. Some good games to pick up when you pick it up are Burnout Paradise, Metal Gear Solid 4, Armored Core 4, Soul Caliber 4, Jericho, and Heavenly Sword. Some games to avoid like the plague(ok not really but still not the best on the system) are Lair, Haze, Dark Kingdom, Dynisty Warriors Gundam These are a waste of your time and money.
caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

You won't find a full BC PS3, since they were only with the old 60GB models, and they were discontinued a while ago. So whether or not you get it now or get it later, it shouldn't matter when it comes to BC.Elnoyle

Actually it does matter if PS2 BC is important to him. Right now the 80GB models support software emulation, the new 80GB models will have 0 PS2 BC.

Superlink517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Superlink517

Thanks! Yeah I held off on getting an HDTV because no Nintendo systems support it, and I just have a regular dvd player, so there really wasn't a need. But if I get a PS3, the games will look more amazing, and then there's the Blu-Ray thing..

And yeah, the whole warranty thing, I would much rather get a game, but if I can get my hands on a ps3, it will most likely be because my work was able to hold one for me. And at my work, we sell extended warranties, and I'd feel sorta obligated. If the system's really dependable, then I don't think I'll get one, I just remember hearing (around launch, so it's probably improved) that there were issues.

Superlink517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Superlink517
Wait, so the current 80gigs aren't really backwards compatible? They just support emulation? I'm a noob when it comes to this sorta thing, haha.
caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts
They are backwards compatible, but instead of having hardware, i.e. the emotion chip do the emulation. Emulation is accomplished via software. The BC rate is pretty high. Around 90% or something like that. The new 80GB models won't support either method of emualtion, therefore no PS2 games can be played on them just like the current 40GB models. Though, you'll still be able to play your original PS games. Basically, if BC for PS2 games is important to you then you should pick up the 80GB bundle pack while you still can.
SPD_WeBmAsTaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 SPD_WeBmAsTaH
Member since 2004 • 2668 Posts
Well first of all, yes there is a big difference on an HDTV but it still does look amazing on a regular tv. Yeah you might want to get the extended warranty just in case because you never know what could happen, especially accidents could happen and then you're screwed. Also, don't worry about the BC as you should buy a PS3 80GB now while the BC is still on them otherwise you'll lose your chance to get it.
Superlink517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Superlink517
Yeah, that's why I'm sorta in a hurry to get one. I really want to play ps2 games on it, as I've never owned a ps2, but still want to play the games on it. As soon as we get the Metal Gear Solid bundles in the store, Ima buy one.