When do Games Usually Get Price Cuts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CBN16 (407 posts) -

There are a lot of games coming out soon, and my budget isn't very high. I want Sly Cooper, Metal Gear Rising, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, and others, but I just cannot afford it.

What is the average time it takes for a game's price to drop? I know some games take longer than others, but what's the average?

Thank you in advance.

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (32067 posts) -
Depends on the game and the sales it gets initally
#3 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9596 posts) -
Here's a suggestion. I'm getting Dead Space 3, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite all in the next 2 months. Sold some 6 items laying around my house that I didn't use on eBay for over $400 so. About to get another $150 or so for my old cell phone. Got those new Sony Pulse Elite Edition headphones with some of that money already and they are amazing! On topic...It depends on how popular the game is and what time of year it is. I got brand new copies of NBA 2K13 and Dishonored for $25 apiece and Max Payne 3 for $15 during holiday sales. I already owned, but Borderlands 2 was on sale $25 as well. But I still can't find new copy of God of War III for less than $28....
#4 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9596 posts) -

Depends on the game and the sales it gets initallyMonsieurX

I don't think sales really matter because as I stated I got NBA 2K13 for $25 in November and Dead Space 3 is on sale for $45 on Amazon right now.

#5 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -
Either Target or Best Buy will put most new games on a one week sale a month or so after release. Sometimes as little as two weeks.
#6 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
Just wait a few months?
#7 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
There is no average.
#8 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9596 posts) -

Also, get a job!

j/k

#9 Posted by PumpkinBoogie (3367 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Depends on the game and the sales it gets initallyStrongBlackVine

I don't think sales really matter because as I stated I got NBA 2K13 for $25 in November and Dead Space 3 is on sale for $45 on Amazon right now.

No, MonsieurX's not necessarily wrong either, as that can and DOES happen, too. Case in point: when RE6 initially came out--between the mixed reviews and slow sales--I can tell you that literally no more than a week after it's release day (whether sanctioned/approved by Capcom or not), Amazon had it priced dropped from 59.99 down to a whopping 39.99 and that's the price it's literally remained at (matter of fact, I think even this past weekend or so I saw it marked down further). In reality, it's no set rule when it comes to things like game price breaks--there's different factors that determine how fast or how long it takes for certain titles to go on sale.
#10 Posted by Apocalypse324 (1486 posts) -

Here's a suggestion. I'm getting Dead Space 3, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite all in the next 2 months. Sold some 6 items laying around my house that I didn't use on eBay for over $400 so. About to get another $150 or so for my old cell phone. Got those new Sony Pulse Elite Edition headphones with some of that money already and they are amazing! On topic...It depends on how popular the game is and what time of year it is. I got brand new copies of NBA 2K13 and Dishonored for $25 apiece and Max Payne 3 for $15 during holiday sales. I already owned, but Borderlands 2 was on sale $25 as well. But I still can't find new copy of God of War III for less than $28....StrongBlackVine
That was on sale too, I picked up the God of War Saga collection (GoW 1-3 + GoS,CoO) for $15 on black friday

#11 Posted by MercenaryMafia (2917 posts) -

Usually a few months after the game releases. It depends on how well the game sold.

#12 Posted by KIERON93 (52 posts) -
There are lots of factors to consider, the obvious is game sales but if any game is getting a price cut the minimum time is a month then shops either cut the price or they stay the same. There might be Easter sales aswell
#13 Posted by desk_jet (383 posts) -
So many games, even if one can afford them there is not enough time to play them all to the fullest
#14 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9596 posts) -

So many games, even if one can afford them there is not enough time to play them all to the fullest desk_jet

I usually only play games once so it doesn't take me too long.

#15 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1390 posts) -

I noticed that the less popular, niche games that probably only had a small number of copies printed usually stay full price for a LONG time.

As for every thing else, it depends on several things.

#16 Posted by thedarklinglord (662 posts) -
Depends on how much of a price cut you're expecting. Usually the price will drop anywhere from a month to three months (or go on sale) after release, but it'll only be $10 - $20. Within six months to a year, most games will drop to around $25 or less. Or, there's always the Black Friday option. Almost every game released in the coming months will be among the super cheap games that places like Walmart, Best Buy, Target and Amazon reduce to $20, $15 or $10 for Black Friday.
#17 Posted by SoNin360 (5729 posts) -
It's not entirely rare to find games for half their price within a few months of its release. Of course stores will try to sell it for retail for a while, but if you check places online like Amazon or eBay, you'll find sort of the "true" value for a game. The prices you see especially on eBay are dependent on how much of a demand there is for that game.
#18 Posted by Dogswithguns (10967 posts) -
From 3 months to six months.. we get price cuts sooner than before.
#19 Posted by BH14 (1782 posts) -

There are a lot of games coming out soon, and my budget isn't very high. I want Sly Cooper, Metal Gear Rising, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, and others, but I just cannot afford it.

What is the average time it takes for a game's price to drop? I know some games take longer than others, but what's the average?

Thank you in advance.

CBN16

It makes no sense to buy all those games at once at retail price. Nobody should pay for $59.99 for any game if they just look for a sale that always happens. For me to go through 5 well played games, it would take a long time. Why would you want all those games on their release date or around there? You can't play all those games at once. Buy one game at sale price $25-40 and play it a lot for a couple weeks. Then, wait for a good sale with the other ones.

I paid $29.99 for Mortal Kombat after 1 week of its release.... I paid $34.99 for Far Cry 3 after 2 months of its release. Those are 2 great selling games and they were on sale early. There is no clear cut answer when a game goes on sale. Less selling games tend to get a price cut sooner though.

#20 Posted by Chozofication (4394 posts) -

It usually takes about a year for Ps3 games to hit the $20 mark.

#21 Posted by sukraj (24202 posts) -

6 months

#22 Posted by Sokol4ever (6347 posts) -

Depends on the game really. Something like Call of Duty will not drop down in price for almost a year, simply because of popularity. Other games usually drop in price in 2-4 months significantly.

Majority of my games are bought on the 20-30$ price drop.