What's the deal with the PS3 youtube app?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

Anyone else have trouble with it? I'm not really a PS3 gamer, but my roommate has one, and I play some games on it every now and again, and also use it for netflix. I've tried using it for youtube a few times, as well, and.. it's not even useable. I doesn't even have the option to go to HD, even watching the exact same videos I've watched on my laptop, that do have HD options, and nothing plays right. Everything is choppy, and audio is broken as hell. A few weeks ago, the homepage said there was an update for the youtube app, so I downloaded it, and it didn't change anything. So.. what's the deal? Does it work right for you guys? Is there something wrong with my roommates PS3? Or is the youtube app just sh!t?

#2 Posted by Armoured_Mage (766 posts) -

just connect to the actual page, not the app.

#3 Posted by 0Hamburgher (957 posts) -
that's not possible anymore
#4 Posted by ristactionjakso (6118 posts) -

That app just sucks.

Best way to watch youtube is to type in what you want in the search option. If its game related or something there will be some original yourtube results. If you search for youtube by itself, it wont let you use it.

#5 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

So... the app is what's wrong. And you can't just bring up the youtube site in the browser? Does that not work?

#6 Posted by ristactionjakso (6118 posts) -

So... the app is what's wrong. And you can't just bring up the youtube site in the browser? Does that not work?

the_bi99man

No you can't. It tells you to download the app. But if you search something like "CoD 4 gameplay" it should bring you to the search options that might lead you to the original youtube. It's still possible to use the original youtbe, just gotta find ways around it.

#7 Posted by wwefanforlife (3248 posts) -

The YouTube app is just awful I downloaded it from my US account since It hasn't been released in the UK yet and I can understand why . I still use the internet browser it's fast and it actually works properly.

#8 Posted by DealRogers (4583 posts) -

I watch HD videos with the app all the time.

#9 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

ristactionjakso

No you can't. It tells you to download the app. But if you search something like "CoD 4 gameplay" it should bring you to the search options that might lead you to the original youtube. It's still possible to use the original youtbe, just gotta find ways around it.

Hmm. What if I want to find something not game related? Like music or something? If I searched for like "*song title* youtube", would I get a working link to a youtube vid?

#10 Posted by Pandora012 (31 posts) -

I just typed something in like "2012 debate youtube" in google and I got access to the actual site. I've been surfing youtube for the past couple days, so you can bypass the app.

#11 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

I just typed something in like "2012 debate youtube" in google and I got access to the actual site. I've been surfing youtube for the past couple days, so you can bypass the app.

Pandora012

Mmk. Good to know. I'll do that next time I feel like youtubin.

#12 Posted by spicoli420 (342 posts) -

It completely blows. whenever I try and use it my ps3 locks up and does restart. Totally worthless

#13 Posted by ristactionjakso (6118 posts) -

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

Hmm. What if I want to find something not game related? Like music or something? If I searched for like "*song title* youtube", would I get a working link to a youtube vid?

You can't have the word Youtube in the search options, lol. It sucks.

#14 Posted by PSP107 (12486 posts) -
Yep this new Apps sucks. But I was told a work around. go to PS3youtube.com There is link on the site that directs the video to the actual youtube site.
#15 Posted by displacedmic (25 posts) -

Anyone else have trouble with it? I'm not really a PS3 gamer, but my roommate has one, and I play some games on it every now and again, and also use it for netflix. I've tried using it for youtube a few times, as well, and.. it's not even useable. I doesn't even have the option to go to HD, even watching the exact same videos I've watched on my laptop, that do have HD options, and nothing plays right. Everything is choppy, and audio is broken as hell. A few weeks ago, the homepage said there was an update for the youtube app, so I downloaded it, and it didn't change anything. So.. what's the deal? Does it work right for you guys? Is there something wrong with my roommates PS3? Or is the youtube app just sh!t?

the_bi99man
man, here we are getting close to a year later and the PS3 youtube app STILL sucks a huge fat one. truly awful. the typing on it alone would be a deal-breaker for me so if i really want to show people a youtube video on my tv i just use my phone and play it on the tv. but the interface is atrocious, the app itself is slow and it locks up almost every time I try and use it for more than a few minutes at a time. What a piece of garbage.
#16 Posted by Asim90 (3692 posts) -

If you pair your phone with this app it makes it a breeze to use! However, with the controller its awful. If you have a smart phone then just pair it using the code they give, you can use the YouTube app on your phone and the video you select will display on the TV screen. It's a brilliant feature.

#17 Posted by Jakesta7 (2435 posts) -

Just use the search option and type what you wish & then put video behind it. Either vimeo, dailymotion, YouTube, or some other player website will come up with it.

#18 Posted by MarcRecon (6349 posts) -

WORST APP EVER!

#19 Posted by lowkey254 (5906 posts) -

It may be your connection. I get HD streams from the app.