What's going on with Backwards Compatibilty

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Niv-Vigorous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Niv-Vigorous
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts

A while back there was talk about BC coming back to the PS3, due to the technology being patented that could enable BC to work again. Anyone know what's going on with it right now?

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 felixlynch777
Member since 2008 • 1787 Posts

Personally I don't know why people even care about BC. Why waste your time with old games when there are much better newones to play.

spyroiskool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 spyroiskool
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts

whatever article you read is wrong. I remember an interview I watched like last year was talking about BC. They have no intentions of doing anything else with BC other than give us PSX classics. Sony says that we must forget about those games and move on. But that isn't human. You just can't tell someone forget about the past like that.

Even though I personally want BC.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

Personally I don't know why people even care about BC. Why waste your time with old games when there are much better newones to play.

felixlynch777
Agreed.
Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

It's not going to happen.

azzezino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 azzezino
Member since 2002 • 4570 Posts
a terrible loss, IMO. :(
adogg3341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 adogg3341
Member since 2004 • 272 Posts

felixlynch777

OMG! how do u call urself a gamer? you cant just forget about the classics like that dude!.......................... neways BC wont b comin back , but i wish it would

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Furi-Kun

[QUOTE="felixlynch777"]

adogg3341

OMG! how do u call urself a gamer? you cant just forget about the classics like that dude!.......................... neways BC wont b comin back , but i wish it would

I giggled at that.

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
nothing is going on with it. they have repeatedly said no and with GOW collection coming out most games will probably get a recode to be sold on disc
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
The only way to get a PS3 with BC support is find one of the 20, 60, or early 80 gig systems. I'm sure glad I bought my 60 gig back in the begining.
planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 planbfreak4eva
Member since 2006 • 2856 Posts

[QUOTE="felixlynch777"]

adogg3341

they might be classics. but playing uncharted 2, and then going playing tony hawks underground 1, or gow. just looks so bad compared to ps3 games graphically..so the bc is just not needed for me...and for quite a lot of ppl.. sony should just already pull off ps2 of the market..that would increase sales for ps3 by alot within time...
Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

[QUOTE="felixlynch777"]

polishkid99

Agreed.

How in the world can a "GAMER" not want to play games just because they are older? I honestly think people play games these days but they are not "gamers".. Lets all just play the most hyped up game with the best graphics and call it a day?!!??...Some of you people are missing out on a lot.

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

A while back there was talk about BC coming back to the PS3, due to the technology being patented that could enable BC to work again. Anyone know what's going on with it right now?

Niv-Vigorous

well if the rumours i've read recently,and they would make financial sense for Sony,is that a large back catologue of PS2 classics will soon be available to buy and download on our Ps3s obviously with bc coded in per game.

That would also explain why you can still create internal PS2 memory cards on your non B.C. PS3s

SanVanSkater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SanVanSkater
Member since 2009 • 98 Posts

i can still play my games (i have the old 60gb) but the fact that they have taken out bc means no updates to benefit my consoles bc :( any way to those people who don't care about bc what about classic childhood games like crash bandicoot or spyro, we all have our favourite childhood games but those that couldn't care must be people who are living their childhood now and think the best games are the ones in which you shoot people, oh well, i'm gonna play abes oddysey now! :)

xbxman82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xbxman82
Member since 2007 • 330 Posts

Whatever sony decide's to do all i know is i WANT SCARFACE,THE ZONE OF THE ENDERS GAMES 8) and the YAKUZA game's to be downloadable on the psn and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SONY GIVE'S US A SEQUEL TO LEGEND OF DRAGOON

ClaTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ClaTheNinja
Member since 2008 • 274 Posts
Sony never lost the ability to keep BC. They took it out for 2 reasons: 1. To lower the price of the PS3 2. To prepare for future plans of milking money out of PS2 games A while ago, there was a practically-proven rumor on GameSpot that Sony plans to add PS2 games to the PSN Store. Having BC would hurt those sales. Sony is just waiting for more of the older PS3s that do have BC to die out with their Blu-Ray laser problems and whatnot. Although, makes me wonder why they didn't remove PS1 BC. I guess they don't want to put in the effort to add all PS1 games to the Store like they plan to do with PS2 games. I was hoping Sony would keep at the BC so that it might force Microsoft to remember people want full BC on the 360 too.

felixlynch777
Uh... Have you ever heard of a thing called Playstation 2 that had hundreds of incredible games that are great even by today's standards, most of which actually better than half the games on PS3?
SanVanSkater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SanVanSkater
Member since 2009 • 98 Posts

those that couldn't care about all the great classic nintendo and playstation games of the past are either not real gamers (those that think a game without a gun isn't a game) or ten year olds who are experiencing their childhood through these games, who thinks abes oddysee was a great 2d game :) i hope my 60gb don't die out on me, i need my ps1 and 2 games, but the fact is that because newer consoles do not have bc means my console will not be updated with more bcompatible games

custerke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 custerke
Member since 2007 • 945 Posts

The BC isnt nescesary anymore, I heard Sony is working on a download functionality for PS1 and PS2 games in the PS Store.

Would be great if you still have some PS2 games you want to play but never had the chance to do so, like myself.

When this will come is still unknown though.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

mark my words, once the ps2 hardwares sales slump they'll put up an emulator on the psn and start putting games up for download.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

felixlynch777
I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
I think BC is dead. Why enable the PS3 to do that when people will pay to download nostalgia. :)

Niv-Vigorous
Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Furi-Kun

[QUOTE="felixlynch777"]

hazelnutman

Did you really? Kiss me and let's see what happens. :P

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 felixlynch777
[QUOTE="adogg3341"]

[QUOTE="felixlynch777"]

I still play old games once in a while but I don't care about BC enough for it to be included. It's a waste of space. And to clarify I am a gamer I still play my Mortal Kombat II arcade cabinet today.
felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 felixlynch777
[QUOTE="ClaTheNinja"]Sony never lost the ability to keep BC. They took it out for 2 reasons: 1. To lower the price of the PS3 2. To prepare for future plans of milking money out of PS2 games A while ago, there was a practically-proven rumor on GameSpot that Sony plans to add PS2 games to the PSN Store. Having BC would hurt those sales. Sony is just waiting for more of the older PS3s that do have BC to die out with their Blu-Ray laser problems and whatnot. Although, makes me wonder why they didn't remove PS1 BC. I guess they don't want to put in the effort to add all PS1 games to the Store like they plan to do with PS2 games. I was hoping Sony would keep at the BC so that it might force Microsoft to remember people want full BC on the 360 too. [QUOTE="felixlynch777"]

Uh... Have you ever heard of a thing called Playstation 2 that had hundreds of incredible games that are great even by today's standards, most of which actually better than half the games on PS3?

Yes I have and I played hundreds of them 5 years ago.
felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 felixlynch777
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="felixlynch777"]

Hooray for you.
Tomrock101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#26 Tomrock101
Member since 2008 • 858 Posts

Backwards compatibility would be nice. Several games i would like to play on my ps3 slim. But i just buy the sequels of them on ps3.

So iwould like it. But i don't care. (:

ryrulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 ryrulez
Member since 2008 • 11605 Posts

[QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="felixlynch777"]

Furi-Kun

Did you really? Kiss me and let's see what happens. :P

Ewwww, thats yucky. I have BC any way YAY!
Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Furi-Kun

People need to get over BC. That is all.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
I still play my PS2 games on my PS2 even though I have a 60GB PS3... It's nice to have a TV with so many inputs (Go Bravia!) =D
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
I still play my PS2 games on my PS2 even though I have a 60GB PS3... It's nice to have a TV with so many inputs (Go Bravia!) =Distuffedsunny
Which is a good point within itself. For those who whine about BC, don't you already have a PS2? You ARE allowed to have more than one system on your entertainment center, you know. Best of both worlds.
ClaTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ClaTheNinja
Member since 2008 • 274 Posts
"Just use a PS2" is null no thanks to Sony's faulty lasers and the infamous "Disc Read Error". I had a PS2. 2 of them. Both lasers died. Plus the Virtual Memory Card system on the PS3 is really awesome. (I have over 10 physical memory cards. Tired of fumbling through them. Now it's all in one place basically) Especially with the ability to freely copy data from/to a USB flash drive. (tons of saves on GameFAQs) And using other PS3 things like the wireless controller and accessories like my PS3 Tekken Fight Stick with old games would be nice. Why should I have to have 2 systems when my $300+ PS3 is more than capable of playing PS2 games?
Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Furi-Kun

"Just use a PS2" is null no thanks to Sony's faulty lasers and the infamous "Disc Read Error". I had a PS2. 2 of them. Both lasers died. Plus the Virtual Memory Card system on the PS3 is really awesome. (I have over 10 physical memory cards. Tired of fumbling through them. Now it's all in one place basically) Especially with the ability to freely copy data from/to a USB flash drive. (tons of saves on GameFAQs) And using other PS3 things like the wireless controller and accessories like my PS3 Tekken Fight Stick with old games would be nice. Why should I have to have 2 systems when my $300+ PS3 is more than capable of playing PS2 games?ClaTheNinja

Because PS2s are dirt cheap. :D

azzezino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 azzezino
Member since 2002 • 4570 Posts
"Just use a PS2" is null no thanks to Sony's faulty lasers and the infamous "Disc Read Error". I had a PS2. 2 of them. Both lasers died. Plus the Virtual Memory Card system on the PS3 is really awesome. (I have over 10 physical memory cards. Tired of fumbling through them. Now it's all in one place basically) Especially with the ability to freely copy data from/to a USB flash drive. (tons of saves on GameFAQs) And using other PS3 things like the wireless controller and accessories like my PS3 Tekken Fight Stick with old games would be nice. Why should I have to have 2 systems when my $300+ PS3 is more than capable of playing PS2 games?ClaTheNinja
Well said, good sir or madam.