What is it with IP's?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maximus923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Maximus923
Member since 2008 • 237 Posts

Great games like Vanquish and Enslaved come out and nobody plays them, but why? Will Catherine share the same fate since it isn't pushed by Gamestop or advertised by major gaming magazines? I really want to know what the deal is with these great games that fail simply because they aren't a sequel or a reboot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Too short, no multiplayer and no replay value ain't going to cut it in this day and age but both those games have gone way cheaper by now. I might purchase.

3dfd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 3dfd
Member since 2008 • 767 Posts

Great games like Vanquish and Enslaved come out and nobody plays them, but why? Will Catherine share the same fate since it isn't pushed by Gamestop or advertised by major gaming magazines? I really want to know what the deal is with these great games that fail simply because they aren't a sequel or a reboot.

Maximus923

Nobody wants to pay $50 fora game that has a 4-hour campaign and no multiplayer. I have Enslaved, but I bought it for 10 bucks. I only spent $60 on a new COD or a Rockstar game because theres a compayn I can trust.

Maximus923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Maximus923
Member since 2008 • 237 Posts

Too short, no multiplayer and no replay value ain't going to cut it in this day and age but both those games have gone way cheaper by now. I might purchase.

Crossel777

Vanquish in particular is amazing, Enslaved was good as well. They are more than worth the ~15 dollar price tag, but it's unfortunate that they dropped so fast due to lack of multiplayer.

BoxingTheStars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BoxingTheStars
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts

why do people only go see the big budget Hollywood movies? why do people only read the books Oprah recommends? Why do people only listen to the same pop songs they play on the radio over and over again? That is just the way society is. People just jump on the band wagon and only go after what is popular and what they see advertised the most.

But dont worry TC I will be getting Catherine. I pre ordered it back in may.

AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts
people are sheep is the main reason. it's sad that now a days a game with crappy multiplayer will be looked at more positively than a game with a great single player
lil_zelda_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#7 lil_zelda_dude
Member since 2006 • 1291 Posts
Conformity, Standardization, it started a while ago read about it.
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

Nobody wants to pay $50 fora game that has a 4-hour campaign and no multiplayer.

3dfd

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but don't try to speak for everyone else. I paid $45 for Vanquish and don't regret it one bit. Replayed it at least four times now, just started my fifth run. It's arguably the most replayable single-player game of this gen. So many unique set-piece battles. For the record, Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner was a fantastic game as well, and it only had a 3-4 hour campaign. Yeah, it had a 1v1 battle mode, but it was so broken that no characters were worth playing as except for Vic Viper and Jehuty Ver.2. Or Rez, a psychadelic 50-minute on-rails shooter, worth replaying for score attacks or just to experience it again. Portal 1 can be beaten in under 14 minutes, and its sequel can be beaten in under four hours. Both are exceptional and highly replayable games as well. And need I mention Super Metroid? Super Mario World? Viewtiful Joe? Length isn't everything. I'd rather have a short-but-sweet game that's highly replayable than a 10-hour generic borefest with no replay value which people only buy for the multiplayer. (I'm looking at you, CoD and Halo)

Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

I'll speak for myself when I say that even though I bought Enslaved for 20 bucks and loved it, I simply can't see me paying 60 bucks for it and be happy. It's a great game, just not worth all that money. While Heavenly Sword (made by same developers) was worth every penny I paid for it, I bought it once it came out and have played it multiple times so far. Vanquish I'm yet to try it out.

I have never bought a Call of Duty game so far, but I can see why people would want to pay full price for it. So long as I can spend enough time playing and enjoying the game I'll be happy with my purchase, Final Fantasy XIII being a very good example. I spent 85 hours playing it on my first playthrough and 40 or more on my second, and then I bought it again on my Xbox360, it simply has enough content to justify the price (mind you the content isn't that huge, but it's more than sufficient).

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

[QUOTE="Maximus923"]

3dfd

Nobody wants to pay $50 fora game that has a 4-hour campaign and no multiplayer. I have Enslaved, but I bought it for 10 bucks. I only spent $60 on a new COD or a Rockstar game because theres a compayn I can trust.

Well, there's you're problem right there.
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

[QUOTE="3dfd"]

anime_gamer007

Well, there's you're problem right there.

Agreed. This is the cancer that's been killing creatitivy in the video game industry for years now.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
I can't speak but everyone else but I didn't play Vanquish because it was just pandering to the west, and I didn't play Enslaved because it was made by people who think games are movies. Catherine on the other hand is a unique game that wasn't developed with sales in mind. Will it fail in the US? Absolutely. And for those exact reasons.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I played the demos for Vanquish and loved it, but when it came out I ended up having a few longer games I was playing so I didn't want to get it and not be able to play it due to ther games already started. I was really shocked to see how quickly it went down in price. Same goes for Two Worlds 2. Regardless of the reviews I thought it looked like a fun game. I got it the other day for $30 (another quick price drop) and 6 hours in I can't see why it got such bad reviews. Sure, it's not up there with Oblivion, but taken as its own game it's very good. I also got Enslaved (actually forgot about it until I saw it in a sale bin in the front of gamestop) and really like how they cared about the story and character development.

Though, if you look at it like that, a lot of games have been overlooked by the masses. Some of these include Mafia 2, Alpha Protocol (aside from reviewers it seems like a lot of people liked it), The Sabotuer, and probably a lot more I can't think of. It is ashame how some people only buy the popular or what the cool thing is to have rather than what they may find interesting if there weren't so many negative reviews (which can often be misleading if they're extremely good or extremely bad). As someone else said, this sadly applies to music, movies, books, basically any type of media.

Granted, I like some of the popular games as well (except the ones made by Rockstar this gen), so idk why people can't give other games a chance.

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
I can't speak but everyone else but I didn't play Vanquish because it was just pandering to the west, and I didn't play Enslaved because it was made by people who think games are movies. Catherine on the other hand is a unique game that wasn't developed with sales in mind. Will it fail in the US? Absolutely. And for those exact reasons.istuffedsunny
Just pandering to the west !? Hardly. Mikami took a western genre and took it to another level. He didn't pander, he schooled!. And TC, I agree, if any game deserves more support and a sequel it's Vanquish. Other new IP's that the masses missed: Valkyria Chonicles, Heveanly Sword, and now Shadows of the Damned. And Alan Wake too. It is annoying, consumers are idiots, look at Hollywood.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]I can't speak but everyone else but I didn't play Vanquish because it was just pandering to the west, and I didn't play Enslaved because it was made by people who think games are movies. Catherine on the other hand is a unique game that wasn't developed with sales in mind. Will it fail in the US? Absolutely. And for those exact reasons.Deathtransit
Just pandering to the west !? Hardly. Mikami took a western genre and took it to another level. He didn't pander, he schooled!. And TC, I agree, if any game deserves more support and a sequel it's Vanquish. Other new IP's that the masses missed: Valkyria Chonicles, Heveanly Sword, and now Shadows of the Damned. And Alan Wake too. It is annoying, consumers are idiots, look at Hollywood.

People missed Heavenly Sword? I thought it was a premiere launch title, I remember playing the demo in Best Buy when it was new.

fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 fighter91
Member since 2005 • 1293 Posts
Add Heavy Rain to this list also. I have played Enslaved but yet to play Vanquish. It's nothing unusual TC, people always prefer the popular product over the one that's creative.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#18 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
I hated Vanquish's gameplay. Didn't like how fast paced it was.
MC-Reap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MC-Reap
Member since 2011 • 595 Posts
Figure out why this is and you'll find the answer to a whole lot more than just games. Call of Duty is pretty much almost un-arguably the McDonalds of games. People want what's fast, easy and without a doubt satisfying. "What's that? There's a new burger place across the street that is 50% healthier and doesn't use mass produced ingredients? Ehhhhhh I don't know about that....I'll stick with McDonalds." Nomnomnomnomnom FAT. Oh I wonder what happened and why there's nothing original left in existence.......