What genre should Sony focus on?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Platformer? maybe, if people are willing to play platformers that are not made by Nintendo/Rare.

Action-Adventure? I think almost everyone likes them, so why not?

Shooter? One of the most popular genre's in North America, but Asia? not so much. (Before you say "why should I care?" becuase Sony IS Asian, that's why)

Sports/Racing? See above.

Music? I don't know...

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts

RPG's they have been lacking this gen.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

open world games. People don't care about MMO's anymore. At least here in the U.S. Lots pf gamers do not enjoy grinding for 50-100 hours.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
More western RPGs would satisfy me. It would seem they are making an effort in this regard as I'm sure they payed a good chunk to get ME2 onto PS3.
DonutNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DonutNerd
Member since 2011 • 173 Posts
Action/adventure. Only because I like this genre.
DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

RPGs or Action-Adventure titles.

The Playstation 1 & 2 were the breeding grounds for classic JRPGs. Now it seems as though you can find good JRPGs only on handhelds.

Uncharted's popularity should prove that Action-Adventure is a must to focus on this generation

Don't bother focusing more on FPS's. There's already Resistance, Killzone, etc. and they don't even sell that well compared to FPS's on the Xbox 360.

The '"Hack 'n Slash" genre should get a little more attention too. God of War sells extremely well. Try to make another title similar to that style to test the water, but don't a) make a carbon-copy of God of War and b) saturate the market with that genre if it proves successful.

Also, Sony should take a page from Square-Enix. Start revamping and/or continuing old franchises. They did this with Twisted Metal. I think they should continue this trend with other games. Let's see a remake or sequel to Legend of Dragoon on the PSP2, a PS3 sequel (or reboot) of Syphon Filter, and best of all...a Dark Cloud 3 on the Playstation 3! :D

Lastly, give us Sly 4 and a proper Jak and Daxter 4 that we've been waiting for years now to see. The Sly collection has me pumped, and Naughty Dog could include a teaser trailer too in a Jak and Daxter collection.

Melpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 Melpoe
Member since 2009 • 3635 Posts

WHY U NO HEAV RPG ON DER?

RPG'S!!!! nao!

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

RPGs and action/adventure. The market is so saturated with FPS, I'm really tired of playing them.

nickz_fpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nickz_fpk
Member since 2010 • 1458 Posts

Action Adventure & RPG's they're the only game genre's worth playing IMO. FPS are getting boring now.

reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
Action Adventure and RPG's there the only games worth spending $60 on IMO
shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

RPG and horror games (action/adventure?)

Richmeister15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Richmeister15
Member since 2008 • 100 Posts

The Playstation 1 & 2 were the breeding grounds for classic JRPGs. Now it seems as though you can find good JRPGs only on handhelds.

Uncharted's popularity should prove that Action-Adventure is a must to focus on this generation

Don't bother focusing more on FPS's. There's already Resistance, Killzone, SOCOM, etc. and they don't even sell that well compared to FPS's on the Xbox 360.

The '"Hack 'n Slash" genre should get a little more attention too. God of War sells extremely well. Try to make another title similar to that style to test the water, but don't a) make a carbon-copy of God of War and b) saturate the market with that genre if it proves successful.

Also, Sony should take a page from Square-Enix. Start revamping and/or continuing old franchises. They did this with Twisted Metal. I think they should continue this trend with other games. Let's see a remake or sequel to Legend of Dragoon on the PSP2, a PS3 sequel (or reboot) of Syphon Filter, and best of all...a Dark Cloud 3 on the Playstation 3! :D

Lastly, give us Sly 4 and a proper Jak and Daxter 4 that we've been waiting for years now to see. The Sly collection has me pumped, and Naughty Dog could include a teaser trailer too in a Jak and Daxter collection.

DrRockso87

SOCOM is a third person shooter, (TPS). Other than that I completely agree, action adventure is the way to go.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

[QUOTE="DrRockso87"]

Don't bother focusing more on FPS's. There's already Resistance, Killzone, SOCOM, etc. and they don't even sell that well compared to FPS's on the Xbox 360.

Richmeister15

SOCOM is a third person shooter, (TPS). Other than that I completely agree, action adventure is the way to go.

My bad. :P

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
All Genres could use some more Attention. I'd like to see some more good racing games though
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

RPG's would be nice but every console is in sore need of them right now.

I would say Indie games. Many indie games have come on the 360 and are doing spectacular, Sony looks into it, but are not as good as focusing on quality devs.

oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

open world games. People don't care about MMO's anymore. At least here in the U.S. Lots pf gamers do not enjoy grinding for 50-100 hours.

duane27

you were wrong, mmorpg is still the most popular gen alone with fps now...otherwise they wouldnt have 10M+ active users on wow. Beside grinding in single player rpg is very stupid, killing stupid and dumb A.I. has no reward feeling. Owning someone else online is like ruinning his day which is much more fun.

anyway single player rpg is dead...boring...playing with soulless npc has zero replay value if not for trophy.

Open world only makes it worse...spending hours walking in a single players? lol it's dead boring...like GTA4, man after first few hours, I am tired of its boring driving or walking, I just take taxi to everywhere i want to go, man it saves a lot of time. Open world in single player is really a bad idea, yes it could sell more, but it cant be become mainstream like mmorpg or fps anyway.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
Action/adventure - some shooters are alright but not everyone likes them, i think action/adventure would be the one to set their focus on.
Avatar image for AthenianGamer90
AthenianGamer90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AthenianGamer90
Member since 2010 • 64 Posts

• Action/Adventure: Definitely. This is my favorite gerne.
  • Platformer: This would be my second choice if I had one more.
  • FPS: I am really tired of it.
  • Sports/Racing: Incredibly boring for me.
  • Music: Epic fail.
  • RPG: I hate it.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

Open world.

The only one they have is infamous.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
RPGs. Western, Japanese, 8-bit, 3d, high res, low res, Square Enix, Bioware, Atlus, Bethesda.... It doesn't matter. I just want more GOOD RPGs!
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
I'd like to see more action/adventure with RPG elements, something in the vein of Zelda like how the PS2 had Okami. I'd say RPGs but I don't want an overload of RPGs, I don't like to play RPG after RPG after RPG. I like to take my time with them and have smaller games(in scale) like Uncharted as something to change it up.
Broken_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Broken_K
Member since 2011 • 402 Posts
RPG?
doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 doesntcare
Member since 2007 • 1219 Posts

I would like to see a space shooter along the lines of colony wars, with a variety of missions. Like going into orbit and saturating the ground targets before invasion ships come in. How i do miss the colony wars series.

A hack/slash like nightmare creatures could be good. Another true dynasty warriors like #4. Killing thousands is mindless fun lol.

I enjoy FPS but right now im burned out on them so anything unlike that would be nice. Darksiders was a fun game, it had a zelda feel to it but entirely too short.

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 samanthademeste

Focusing on RPG's is not a good idea because they don't sell well in North America.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Obviously sony has lots of Action Adventure talent (Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Insomnia, and Sucker Punch) so that would probably yield the best results.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Second_Rook

Focusing on RPG's is not a good idea because they don't sell well in North America.

samanthademeste

Didn't New Vegas hit the top of the multi platform charts it's first week in the US? Mass Effect series is also a huge success critically and commercially. People are into these games.

What isn't selling is the same old tired Japanese RPG. You know the one where on your 18th birthday you learn of an ancient evil that is prophsied to return and realize that you are descended from the hero who locked it away millenia ago so you must wage a menu based war against evil even as you lament your fate as the chosen one.

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 samanthademeste

[QUOTE="samanthademeste"]

Second_Rook

Didn't New Vegas hit the top of the multi platform charts it's first week in the US? Mass Effect series is also a huge success critically and commercially. People are into these games.

What isn't selling is the same old tired Japanese RPG. You know the one where on your 18th birthday you learn of an ancient evil that is prophsied to return and realize that you are descended from the hero who locked it away millenia ago so you must wage a menu based war against evil even as you lament your fate as the chosen one.

Nope. Everyone I know hates RPG's. Period. Stradegy and Fighting games are not popular in North America either.

The genre's on my list are the most popular genre's.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

horrible poll, like a lot RPGs, a sequel of Legend of Dragoon would be fantastic

Vinnup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vinnup
Member since 2010 • 31 Posts

[QUOTE="Second_Rook"]

samanthademeste

Nope. Everyone I know hates RPG's. Period. Stradegy and Fighting games are not popular in North America either.

Personally, I don't agree.

Everyone YOU know, don't like RPG's, but everyone I know really enjoys them and I'm in North America. It's really about personal taste.

Anyways, as for what genre should Sony focus on? I would agree with RPG's and Action-adventure.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Focus on RPG's? No. Add more RPG's? Yes.

The Playstation consoles have always been known for it's freaking RPG's.

And RPG's is what is lacks a bit.

edited for typo's.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Second_Rook

Well that's your crowd I guess, but the numbers don't lie. Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and Mass Effect are huge sellers in Europe and North America.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
No more FPS, Activision killed the genre... Atleast SOCOM has had quite a long time in development so i'm hoping it'll be the savior of the genre hopefully doing something worthwhile instead of just mindless AI and 3 hours of campaign.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I wouldn't mind platformers other than Ratchet. Which is as much shooting as it is platforming.
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

Open world RPGs. I chose Action/Adventure as that's the closest genre.

Delroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Delroc
Member since 2010 • 198 Posts

i miss the old golden age of rpg's.

fljaweiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fljaweiu
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
This is the man always wanted, is not it? The plane appeared, the sky has failed to meet the people's desire, longing for the universe, so the spacecraft appeared. A desire to have the idea in order to have human progress ... this is just personal thoughts!
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#37 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I don't think any genre needs focusing on, just a steady amount of each really (not interested in JRPGs or Music games however).

If anything I'd love to see more horror games coming out, there isn't enough.

xXRukasuXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xXRukasuXx
Member since 2010 • 1647 Posts
RPGs and JRPGs, they have been lacking.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
Shooters, as they will give Sony the biggest bang for its buck. As for my desires, I want Sony to develop/publish more RPGs. JRPGs, Action RPGS, Strategy RPGs... I don't care, it's doesn't matter. Bring them on. ALL of them.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
They shouldn't focus on any genre, I like variety.
teretere123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 teretere123
Member since 2004 • 29 Posts

The Good Game Genre

_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points