What do we gain by :activating" our PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Zoomer30
Member since 2003 • 4365 Posts
I was just messing around in the network tab, testing the wireless setup (works great so far) and noticed something under the account management that said something about ACTIVATE MACHINE.  I did it but I don't see anything different, what does that do for me??  I was kinda worried it might be like Windows XP where if you don't activate it it stops working in a month :D
-MoOkS-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 -MoOkS-
Member since 2006 • 528 Posts
lol i dont no i just activated it anyway
jimmysCY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jimmysCY
Member since 2007 • 234 Posts
really,there is such thing?
YourDaddy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 YourDaddy88
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts
I've seen it but left it alone.  No clue what it's for. 
Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zoomer30
Member since 2003 • 4365 Posts

Its an alien plot to take over the world.  They make it look like you have to "activate" your machine to get some cool things, but what it really does is activate that 8th SPU that the PS3 does not use, thereby making the Cell CPU sentient.  World domination is next.

That is the main reason the PS3 only uses 7 SPUs on the Cell CPU.....national security

gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts
hum, a real mystery, i saw it to, and activated it... seems no 1 knows what it is though lol
JoeyDrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 JoeyDrey
Member since 2003 • 458 Posts
If you would have activated it when you got it, you could have actually gotten an email for the Home beta.  Just do it, maybe you can get into the larget beta in August.  I got an email and Im sure activating it was part of it.
Anoch20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Anoch20
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

My guess is that it officially tells Sony this person has a PS3 and will be available for beta invites.

I remember for PS2 you had to register you PS2 to be able to get beta invites perhaps this activation thing is so they can send things directly to your PS3 since PS3 has HDD standard unlike PS2.

Avatar image for The_Dark_Jester
The_Dark_Jester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Dark_Jester
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts

If you would have activated it when you got it, you could have actually gotten an email for the Home beta. Just do it, maybe you can get into the larget beta in August. I got an email and Im sure activating it was part of it.JoeyDrey

I activated mine the day I got it and yet I got no e-mail for the invite, and I'm a member of the GAP. Somethings I guess are just a mystery... 

bob_dartagnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bob_dartagnan
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

[QUOTE="JoeyDrey"]If you would have activated it when you got it, you could have actually gotten an email for the Home beta. Just do it, maybe you can get into the larget beta in August. I got an email and Im sure activating it was part of it.The_Dark_Jester

I activated mine the day I got it and yet I got no e-mail for the invite, and I'm a member of the GAP. Somethings I guess are just a mystery...

You would still have needed to actually sign up for the Beta. And then that was a random selection I believe because not everyone who signed up for it got it. Could be wrong though. Im leaning towards the whole alien plot thing myself.

MCNewYork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MCNewYork87
Member since 2005 • 325 Posts

[QUOTE="JoeyDrey"]If you would have activated it when you got it, you could have actually gotten an email for the Home beta. Just do it, maybe you can get into the larget beta in August. I got an email and Im sure activating it was part of it.The_Dark_Jester

same here. my PS3 is registered and i'm a GAP member. Guess the email was just sent to random people. 

MCNewYork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MCNewYork87
Member since 2005 • 325 Posts
i've always wondered what it meant to activate it (i did it anyways). can we get someone who actually knows what it means?
sdkingsht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 sdkingsht
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts
it activates your machine so that when sony or its partners search for systems/people to test software on or offer things like Home beta your system shows up. you don't lose anything by not activating. i've heard some people say they got emails about demos and trailers coming up but who knows. you don't lose anything if you don't. but if you do activate you get invites to try out new software and surveys about upgrades (like the virtual keyboard instead of the phone multi-tap thing before 1.60).
Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts

it activates your machine so that when sony or its partners search for systems/people to test software on or offer things like Home beta your system shows up. you don't lose anything by not activating. i've heard some people say they got emails about demos and trailers coming up but who knows. you don't lose anything if you don't. but if you do activate you get invites to try out new software and surveys about upgrades (like the virtual keyboard instead of the phone multi-tap thing before 1.60). sdkingsht

Interesting... I'm gonna activate mine when i get home from work. :D

coolasj19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 coolasj19
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
me too
Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts
it activates your machine so that when sony or its partners search for systems/people to test software on or offer things like Home beta your system shows up. you don't lose anything by not activating. i've heard some people say they got emails about demos and trailers coming up but who knows. you don't lose anything if you don't. but if you do activate you get invites to try out new software and surveys about upgrades (like the virtual keyboard instead of the phone multi-tap thing before 1.60). sdkingsht
Your sig is so great!  And now its my avater. :P
godamus187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 godamus187
Member since 2003 • 269 Posts
No clue!
Avatar image for The_Dark_Jester
The_Dark_Jester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Dark_Jester
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Dark_Jester"]

[QUOTE="JoeyDrey"]If you would have activated it when you got it, you could have actually gotten an email for the Home beta. Just do it, maybe you can get into the larget beta in August. I got an email and Im sure activating it was part of it.bob_dartagnan

You would still have needed to actually sign up for the Beta. And then that was a random selection I believe because not everyone who signed up for it got it. Could be wrong though. Im leaning towards the whole alien plot thing myself.

Yeah I know the invite was sent out at random but I believe I can be a little miffed at not getting an invitation. I'm sure quite a few others are too! :evil: 

tokebuddude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tokebuddude
Member since 2003 • 584 Posts
It activates a node that sends a signal to the Borg collective....
Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts

I was just messing around in the network tab, testing the wireless setup (works great so far) and noticed something under the account management that said something about ACTIVATE MACHINE. I did it but I don't see anything different, what does that do for me?? I was kinda worried it might be like Windows XP where if you don't activate it it stops working in a month :DZoomer30

NOOOOO! You have approximately 2 minutes and 37 seconds to get out of your house before the hidden bomb inside your PS3 goes off! 

Koneesha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Koneesha
Member since 2006 • 1621 Posts
it lets you download games and stuff. When i did it and deactivated it by accident it said you cant download demos and crap now. But i just reactivated it so all well that ends well! :)
outlawmaico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 outlawmaico
Member since 2006 • 42 Posts

when u activate it says right there by activating it u can purchase games and all of that.... oh i think it gets stolen mmmm but all i know is to get on the marketplace...

YourDaddy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 YourDaddy88

[QUOTE="Zoomer30"]I was just messing around in the network tab, testing the wireless setup (works great so far) and noticed something under the account management that said something about ACTIVATE MACHINE. I did it but I don't see anything different, what does that do for me?? I was kinda worried it might be like Windows XP where if you don't activate it it stops working in a month :DHot_Potato

NOOOOO! You have approximately 2 minutes and 37 seconds to get out of your house before the hidden bomb inside your PS3 goes off! 

You have exactly until the next MS online update to sell your 360 before it overheats, melts your Wii and burns a whole in Earth's crust.

YourDaddy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 YourDaddy88

it lets you download games and stuff. When i did it and deactivated it by accident it said you cant download demos and crap now. But i just reactivated it so all well that ends well! :)Koneesha

That doesnt make any sense.  I've never activated mine and I download everything off the PS Store, game demos, Blu-Ray trailers, Box Office trailers, etc.  I even purchased MKII when it came out a few weeks ago.

YourDaddy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 YourDaddy88

The answer may be here in this link, but I cant get IE to open any items on the menu, it says it uses frames and the browser doesnt support it??

http://www.us.playstation.com/SCEARegionalOnlineManual/default.htm