What are ways your PS3 can break?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MatrixMario (67 posts) -
Well, I've had my PS3 a little less than a year now and just recently, it doesn't read any discs anymore. I was playing a game (World at War) and all of a sudden, it freezes on a loading screen. I turned it off and turned it back on and it took forever to load the game until I realized it wasn't going to load. I am in the process of getting it replaced and I was wondering what are ways a PS3 can fail on you? I want to have little bit knowledge the second time around on its known hardware malfunctions so I can watch out for those things (like playing too much). What parts in the PS3 can overheat? and can they be replaced? What ways in general does a PS3 malfunctions? Thanks in advance!
#2 Posted by All_that_is_Man (2044 posts) -
taking a hammer and hitting it can break it >.> just far warning
#3 Posted by Top-A-Gamer (344 posts) -
just read the manual they tell you everything that can damage or break your ps3
#4 Posted by gtyu (570 posts) -
well one of is to put it in an open space so that it can breath and doesn't overheat
#5 Posted by FlameMe (1165 posts) -
beer, that can break it for sure... beer broke my stomach and brain last night... nom nom nom
#6 Posted by joehan86 (310 posts) -
probably putting it in a dishwasher
#7 Posted by shadowkiller11 (7956 posts) -
not alot of you are helping, but its basically not enough space can break ps3 alot of the times. or corrupted data on harddrive.
#8 Posted by smeags11 (4045 posts) -
your house could be stormed by rampaging elephants who may break your PS3, that would suck..
#9 Posted by kweeni (10990 posts) -

driving over it with a tank

#10 Posted by CosmoKing7717 (4603 posts) -
Dust Kills All D= or just sony's natural problems with DRE
#11 Posted by coasterguy47 (131 posts) -
one day were eating a cookie and putting a game into your PS3 then u putt the cookie into the PS3 and ate the disc cause that once happened to me:oops:
#12 Posted by coasterguy47 (131 posts) -
one day were you eating a cookie and putting a game into your PS3 then u putt the cookie into the PS3 and ate the disc cause that once happened to me:oops:coasterguy47
just corrected it
#13 Posted by dubb55 (127 posts) -
throwing my controller at it when I die.....
#14 Posted by raven_squad (78438 posts) -
Using it as target practice for your brand new shiny RPG-7.
#15 Posted by xsamk91 (100 posts) -
having a pet rhino
#16 Posted by xColinRx (48 posts) -
Please everyone be serious. Dust can kill it so dust it down every so often. Keep it in an open Space so the air can circulate around the fans.
#17 Posted by POPEYE1716 (4749 posts) -
You can break it by using it as a pinata at parties.
#18 Posted by codalloo (892 posts) -
Please everyone be serious. Dust can kill it so dust it down every so often. Keep it in an open Space so the air can circulate around the fans. xColinRx
Where's the fun in that?:P But you can read the manual for reference. Dust is a problem as Colin mentioned so be wary of that.
#19 Posted by Terrencec06 (3676 posts) -
if you make love to it on the regular basis
#20 Posted by Mr47fitter (2273 posts) -
Ham
#21 Posted by newhighscore (2037 posts) -
Well, you have to keep morale high. I tell mine how sleek and sexy she is everyday. And how she looks better than when I met her and how black will never go out of style. Remember: a happy PS3 will put out.
#22 Posted by ChiSoxBombers (3701 posts) -
do not and i repeat DO NOT play football using a ps3. it mite hurt your hands
#23 Posted by codezer0 (15898 posts) -
Well, some ways in which it can break that the manual won't tell you. YLOD CPU/GPU failure (the latter happened to ps3 #3 for me) overheating ( ps3 #2) ODD problems ( ps3 #1 had this problem, except it decided to start eating my discs for lunch :evil: ) All of these would be considered manufacturing defects, and even then, Sony will still charge you $150 to even look at the thing.
#24 Posted by xsamk91 (100 posts) -

do not and i repeat DO NOT play football using a ps3. it mite hurt your handsChiSoxBombers

lol ps3's are pretty damn heavy and large soo it sounds like a GREAT idea:P

#25 Posted by MatrixMario (67 posts) -
lol very funny guys, but are there anymore OTHER serious answers? Like if some part stopped functioning properly, could I shop for an replacement online and do it myself? instead of sending it to sony and blowing away $150 for repairs or buying a new ps3 =(
#26 Posted by POPEYE1716 (4749 posts) -
Why so Serious?:D
#27 Posted by patriots7672 (3249 posts) -
Do you ever clean your discs? I doubt it's your PS3 and more likely user caused. I've owned 3 since launch and all have been perfectly fine. All I do is clean the disc when a game freezes and it's fine again. That is until dirty fingers touch it too much again.
#28 Posted by patriots7672 (3249 posts) -
PS3s are really sturdy! My nephew Moses was carrying mine downstairs and dropped it 3 ft on to a tile floor and all I had to do was unplug the HDD and plug it back in and it was fine. The system didn't even scratch, crack, or chip.
#29 Posted by Unknown15 (71 posts) -

Throwing it out the window from a two-story building (maybe the main floor's window will do the trick)

Lol, but yeah... beware of dust and weird noises. I cover mine after I use it.

#30 Posted by blank33 (1896 posts) -
Eating It
#31 Posted by coasterguy47 (131 posts) -
i don't think anyone is going to take this topic seriously, oh and you can also break your ps3 by nuking it
#32 Posted by mep69 (1901 posts) -
well this is a video of how someone takes a bath with an Xbox http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ2Hvqq_y_4
#33 Posted by ps3_owns_360Wii (2289 posts) -
unplugging the power when its loading