FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 FanboyMcTroll
Member since 2017 • 274 Posts

VR is just the latest gimmick that will be gone by next year and the hardware will be collecting dust in bargain bins like all the plastic instruments from Guitar Hero.

The cost alone for VR, is keeping the main stream gamers away as you require a $7000 computer, a $600 headset plus all the extra accessories to play a 2 minute game. The games might as well be demos or cut scenes in VR, big deal. Who wants to play a 2 minute game when for a fraction of that you can buy a $500 console and play amazing graphic full games.

VR is no different than the 3D glasses that were around for a year and than disappeared because nobody wanted to wear glasses the whole time while watching TV. VR is the same thing, nobody is going to spend thousands of dollars for a 2 minute demo game. The VR gear will be found in dollar store sale bins by next year when this fad fades away. Save your money and don't bother with this latest gimmick that marketers are pushing.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

however I never had any intrest in 3D glasses or 3D TV and yet I bought Oculus Dev1, Dev2 and retail 1.

three in total.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

I stopped reading at "$7000 computer". Wish I could flag this as spam.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FanboyMcTroll

@joshrmeyer: Add VR to your collection of Guitar Hero instruments collecting dust in your basement

Your money

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

That's not how a fad works. And fad gaming hardware does not have thousands of games across so many hardware manufacturers. Its been 2 yrs now and their still creating more VR hardware. Pimax with its 200 degree FOV is about to release soon as is Vive Pro.

Sounds like OP is too poor to afford. Or trolling

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

I didn't know that Fallout 4 VR was a "2 minute game"

Awww run along OP and cry to your mommy.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I'm still gutted that 3D gaming and films never really took off, was one of the most interesting features of the PS3. :\

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Macutchi  Online
Member since 2007 • 10596 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

Sounds like OP is too poor to afford. Or trolling

did the name fanboy mctroll not tip you off

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Poor trolling is poor

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Fanboymctroll- 24 posts.. your abilities are fledgling little one.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JoshRMeyer

@fanboymctroll: Those guitars were for one game. Not even comparable. You have no clue what you're talking about... Mc Donald's troll? Go get a Happy meal or are those obsolete too? I can picture you riding around in horse and buggy still, refusing to admit cars were a good invention. I have a $25 and $130 VR units that are gimmicks... PSVR and the other two are not. They're the real deal and only gonna get better.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JoshRMeyer

@mandzilla: Trine on PS4 is cool in 3d... Give it a go if you haven't already.(All 3 were 3d I believe)

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

OP, You have clearly never tried VR before.

VR and 3D are nothing alike. The former changes everything on a fundamental level, whereas the latter changes nothing but adds some extra depth.

A $700 PC is all you need. Then you can get a high-end headset for $250, $400, or $600 depending on the headset you want.

There are plenty of actual games that don't classify as tech demos. Lone Echo / Echo Arena, Arktika 1, Wilson's Heart, The Mage's Tale, Sprint Vector, etc.

VR will succeed where 3D has failed.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blueberry_Bandit

@mandzilla said:

I'm still gutted that 3D gaming and films never really took off, was one of the most interesting features of the PS3. :\

You could say that 3D lives on in VR. It requires you to find the 3D content of course, but VR can display the best 3D, even beating out what you see in IMAX.

That's just an additive feature, it's not the core of VR, so it's one of those extras that you just happen to get; something you can choose to use or not.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FanboyMcTroll

@joshrmeyer: VR is lame, just a gimmick like 3D glasses and TV's, where are they now, where are all the Guitar Hero instruments?? Just like Pokémon Go where is it now?? QR codes where is that fad now, Ebook readers where are they now. Only sheep like you waste money on this junk and then 2 years later it's gone, just like VR will be because it's just overrated lame demo games

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blueberry_Bandit
@fanboymctroll said:

@joshrmeyer: VR is lame, just a gimmick like 3D glasses and TV's, where are they now, where are all the Guitar Hero instruments?? Just like Pokémon Go where is it now?? QR codes where is that fad now, Ebook readers where are they now. Only sheep like you waste money on this junk and then 2 years later it's gone, just like VR will be because it's just overrated lame demo games

People will put up with wearing something on their head if the experience is good enough and worth doing.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JoshRMeyer

@blueberry_bandit: besides the small cord on the PSVR, it doesn't feel that bad wearing it. Of course you notice it at first, but after a few minutes you forget it's on. Wireless is already here and lighter designs will come. I hope more implement a quick way to see the room... I know some have the camera bypass thing, but maybe something even quicker than that.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JoshRMeyer

@fanboymctroll: I bet you're one of those people that upgraded their Xbox One 3 times in the last 4 years lol. I love my PSVR. If it gives me 2 years of enjoyment for the $349(plus Skyrim) I paid for it, I'll be happy. It's a blast to play. Too bad you're so stuck in the past to understand that. Or maybe you're a pirate and can't see in stereoscopic ?

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blueberry_Bandit

@joshrmeyer said:

@blueberry_bandit: besides the small cord on the PSVR, it doesn't feel that bad wearing it. Of course you notice it at first, but after a few minutes you forget it's on. Wireless is already here and lighter designs will come. I hope more implement a quick way to see the room... I know some have the camera bypass thing, but maybe something even quicker than that.

There's a better solution than AR passthrough. Oculus believe that by 2021, their HMD will use computer vision to map out the real world in real time. This means you would still be in VR like usual, but you could see people walking around, see your food, drinks, furniture, and even keyboards and mice. Combine that with hand-tracking which they said will be here by 2021, then you can fully utilize your keyboard, replace your monitor with a crisp virtual monitor and even manipulate the virtual monitor with your fingers Minority Report style.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FanboyMcTroll

@joshrmeyer: I don't own an Xbox, I have a PS4 and have never upgraded it once. I paid $500 once and I have all the best games for it, games that I can play for hundreds of hours like Skyrim, GTA V, The Witcher 3, etc etc. Why would I want to stand there and wave my arms around playing a 2 minute demo over and over. Beside how long could you play a game waving your arms around for, an hour tops before being tired? Or falling down the stairs or walking into a coffee table with your VR headset on. This type of gaming wont last, true gamers that play for 18-20 hours at a time sit and use a controller or keyboard, nobody is going to be waving their arms around for 18 hours. That is why VR will not last, true gamers wont buy into that, only the novelty casual gamers that want to play the latest gimmick for 2 minutes. Game developers aren't even releasing that many games for VR. VR is just the latest fad, it will be over by 2019 and your headset will be sitting in the basement collecting dust.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@fanboymctroll: Wow, you really have no clue do you? Most game use a controller or at least have the option to use one. The point of VR is that you are in the game. It literally feels like you are there. If you tried only the cheap VR headsets, I get that you don't understand it, because those are a joke. Who plays for 18-20 straight?? Pee jar? Yeah, that's not what VR is for. A few hours tops. Most games I only play for an hour at a time. Not sure where you are getting the 2 minute thing from. What game is only 2 minutes long? None. Gaming also is just one part of VR. There are a ton of other applications that use it and will be using it in the future. And FYI, only the Vive has a walk around system and you wouldn't run into anything with the sensors. 99% of games can be played sitting down or standing up, but not moving around. I wish I could just write this nonesense off as you're just a troll, but I think you actually believe this stuff you say. What are you gaining by preaching to people not to buy it anyways? Everyone that owns a PSVR or one of the other 2 seems to love it. It's a much better investment than a 4k tv right now imo. Be in the game, or play it through a window(aka tv). Hmm... (Yes some games are not for VR, and that's how it should be, but some are, like RE7 for example)

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Blueberry_Bandit

@fanboymctroll said:

@joshrmeyer: I don't own an Xbox, I have a PS4 and have never upgraded it once. I paid $500 once and I have all the best games for it, games that I can play for hundreds of hours like Skyrim, GTA V, The Witcher 3, etc etc. Why would I want to stand there and wave my arms around playing a 2 minute demo over and over. Beside how long could you play a game waving your arms around for, an hour tops before being tired? Or falling down the stairs or walking into a coffee table with your VR headset on. This type of gaming wont last, true gamers that play for 18-20 hours at a time sit and use a controller or keyboard, nobody is going to be waving their arms around for 18 hours. That is why VR will not last, true gamers wont buy into that, only the novelty casual gamers that want to play the latest gimmick for 2 minutes. Game developers aren't even releasing that many games for VR. VR is just the latest fad, it will be over by 2019 and your headset will be sitting in the basement collecting dust.

The main adopters of VR tech right now are hardcore gamers. I can play VR games for many hours without issues and this only gets easier when the headsets get smaller and lighter. You underestimate how much people can play. Also, there are singleplayer games that last 10 hours or so. This will increase up to 100s of hours when more AAA games are released.

And you're not swinging your arms around all the time in most games, that's an exaggeration.

In 2019, the market will only be bigger than it is now, and 2nd gen headsets will start to launch.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@blueberry_bandit: Sounds good to me. People are expecting way too much out of these systems too soon. I just want a pass through so I can find my controller without having to peek through bottom of the VR lol. Most people probably don't know this, but on the PSVR, you can set the microphone to pick up the surrounding sounds. So if you're into a game with headset on, and your friend is trying to talk to you, you can easily hear him/her. Or if you're home alone, you can hear if someone knocks on the door etc.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FanboyMcTroll

@joshrmeyer: real men and gamers play for serious hours, and there is a pause in the game for snacks and piss, but you wouldn't know that because you are just into the novelty thing that's out there, I tried the whole VR thing at a friends place, he blew $8000 for the whole system with sensors and controllers and blah blah blah. I tried the whale under water game, some knights fighting in an arena game and some zombie game, all were pretty lame and I wasn't impressed at all.

Besides you won't be around next year when VR games and the whole VR thing is in bargain bins like Wii, Wii U, guitar hero instruments and 3D TV's and Pokémon Go, so I will just say it now apology accepted

from Market Trend Analyst

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blueberry_Bandit
@fanboymctroll said:

@joshrmeyer: real men and gamers play for serious hours, and there is a pause in the game for snacks and piss, but you wouldn't know that because you are just into the novelty thing that's out there, I tried the whole VR thing at a friends place, he blew $8000 for the whole system with sensors and controllers and blah blah blah. I tried the whale under water game, some knights fighting in an arena game and some zombie game, all were pretty lame and I wasn't impressed at all.

Besides you won't be around next year when VR games and the whole VR thing is in bargain bins like Wii, Wii U, guitar hero instruments and 3D TV's and Pokémon Go, so I will just say it now apology accepted

from Market Trend Analyst

So you tried a tech demo, an okay indie game, and a zombie game and that's all? You haven't even scratched the surface of VR.

Also, if he blew $8000 on a system, then clearly that has nothing to do with building a VR system, but just trying to be build a monster PC in general.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FanboyMcTroll

@blueberry_bandit: All I can say is that I was not impressed, I would like to see a full game and also nobody is going to be waving their arms around or swinging imaginary swords or turning around for 10 hours, it was like playing the Wii with the two wand sticks or the PS Move controller, nobody wants to be waving that around for 15 hours while playing a game like Skyrim.

I give VR two thumbs down

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blueberry_Bandit

@fanboymctroll said:

@blueberry_bandit: All I can say is that I was not impressed, I would like to see a full game and also nobody is going to be waving their arms around or swinging imaginary swords or turning around for 10 hours, it was like playing the Wii with the two wand sticks or the PS Move controller, nobody wants to be waving that around for 15 hours while playing a game like Skyrim.

You would have had a different reaction if you played Lone Echo, Echo Arena, and Robo Recall. Those are titles with AAA polish and feel very responsive.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mandzilla  Moderator

@joshrmeyer said:

@mandzilla: Trine on PS4 is cool in 3d... Give it a go if you haven't already.(All 3 were 3d I believe)

Ahh okay, sounds awesome. I definitely would do if I owned a PS4, perhaps in the future lol. Cheers for the recommendation!

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mandzilla  Moderator

@blueberry_bandit said:
@mandzilla said:

You could say that 3D lives on in VR. It requires you to find the 3D content of course, but VR can display the best 3D, even beating out what you see in IMAX.

That's just an additive feature, it's not the core of VR, so it's one of those extras that you just happen to get; something you can choose to use or not.

Hmm yeah, I suppose that is true. In a way I guess you could say that the 3D experience with tv and glasses, served as an evolutionary step towards developing the current VR technology.

Hey I am sure it is an incredible experience, and look forward to trying it out someday. IMAX itself is amazing, so can only imagine how immersive VR is. Just still a bit bummed out that I fell into the advertising trap about 7 years ago, and bought a 32" 3D tv for like £450 lol.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@mandzilla said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@mandzilla said:

Hmm yeah, I suppose that is true. In a way I guess you could say that the 3D experience with tv and glasses, served as an evolutionary step towards developing the current VR technology.

Hey I am sure it is an incredible experience, and look forward to trying it out someday. IMAX itself is amazing, so can only imagine how immersive VR is. Just still a bit bummed out that I fell into the advertising trap about 7 years ago, and bought a 32" 3D tv for like £450 lol.

When you think about it, VR in a few years would be a legitimate replacement for a TV / Monitor. If you don't have to buy a screen anymore, then you're getting way more value added in to that purchase.

I can't wait until I can replace all screens I use with VR and share the experience with people across the world as if they were right with me. Being able to take the screen with me wherever I want, make it any size I want, make it curve in any way I want, and have as many said screens as I want would be incredibly useful.

The final form factor will be a pair of glasses that does both AR and VR, and could effectively replace all devices except for PCs since they will always be wanted for high processing speeds.

pacific90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pacific90
Member since 2010 • 848 Posts

Hey I think it's worth it. I'm just too poor to have one.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@fanboymctroll said:

Its alright you're too stupid to understand, you haven't played Skyrim VR.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JoshRMeyer

@fanboymctroll: Lol, I gotta say, you're a decent troll. You had me going there for a bit.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FanboyMcTroll

@joshrmeyer: I though my name gave it away lol

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FanboyMcTroll

@hubahuanle929: Sorry I don't speak Chinese, Cantonese, Mandarin or whatever the fvck you just said

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

The OP is so wrong I have to assume "FanboyMcTroll" is just trolling at this point.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@ArchoNils2 said:

The OP is so wrong I have to assume "FanboyMcTroll" is just trolling at this point.

its 80% of what he does. and not well I might add

Avatar image for blazinghabanero
BlazingHabanero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BlazingHabanero
Member since 2018 • 14 Posts

A little exaggerated, but I understand that the investment does seem steep for a handful of supporting titles. That being said I must disagree. I think VR is going to become a staple in future gaming and it's one step closer to full-immersion gaming which is what every gamer has dreamed of since they could comprehend the concept. There isn't a ton of support for VR right now, but once the cost of manufacturing goes down, so too will the point of sale. That in turn will appeal more to the mainstream gamer, and that will in turn help support the platform overall.

When I first heard about VR gaming I thought it was a terrible idea, and that much like it's arcade predecessor would just crash and burn and all of these buffoons who invested in it would be stiffed with all these peripherals that would essentially become a paperweight. Then something happened I did not quite expect. VR rigs were starting to sell, companies were investing in the tech, games were being developed, and people started talking. I caught wind of it and decided I would no longer allow this stigma to haunt me so I tried for myself. I cannot measure the magnitude of just how mind-blowing it was for me. I thought I had seen it all, and then I felt that child-like sense of wonder that I had not felt in well over a decade, perhaps even close to two,

There are a lot of games that are in development for VR, and I don't see that slowing down any time soon. In fact it would not surprise me in the least if we start seeing conventions dedicated solely to the VR platform. I think it's here to stay, and I think it's going to become a gaming norm, and eventually we will see the day of full-immersion gaming, and I only hope I am still here to see it for myself. You need to embrace the shift, or you need to find another hobby if it suits you, but once you get a taste for yourself then you will realize what I have discussed here.