Uncharted 2: Critics Blinded by Beauty?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fondetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fondetti
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Brutal: http://www.gamealmighty.com/uncharted-2-critics-blinded-by-beauty
8Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 8Tango
Member since 2009 • 1953 Posts
Brutal: http://www.gamealmighty.com/uncharted-2-critics-blinded-by-beautyfondetti
http://www.gamealmighty.com/uncharted-2-critics-blinded-by-beauty Linkified.
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

He is clearly going against the flow just to be different.

Then again, not everyone is bound to love Uncharted 2, saying it's ubber crap....

Avatar image for DangerHiVoltage
DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DangerHiVoltage
Member since 2009 • 1157 Posts
he has some ridiculous complaints, like the one hand thing. hes also like 40 years old, been playing games for a very long time, im sure he will have a lot to critique. cant believe he didnt see whats s great about this game.
MajorGamer531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 MajorGamer531
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts

This guy is way off base. His only support to any arguement is right here:

"Graphics in gaming is like special-effects in movies: special-effects cannot save what is an otherwise terrible movie. You need look no further than Transformers 2 or just about every other special-effects heavy movie ever released." -cjensen

Which is a horribly misleading analogy. In Movies special effects are used to for sole purpose of glorifying action and does not contribute to viewer's perspective on the 'world' of whatever movie they are watching. In gaming, graphics enhance the players ability to immerse themself into the world of the protagonist. Here the player does not only get a glorified action sequence, but can look at the game as it's own world and feel apart of it.

Cjensen's was trying to make the point that graphics do not make a game, but it is obvious gameplay does. So why did he spend 90% of his review on voice acting and graphics and leave a few cruddy general sentences for the gameplay that had no support, which makes me doubt he played past the first few chapters.

"Playing the first 15 minutes of Uncharted 2 offers you just about every gameplay experience you'll encounter through the entirety of the game. It boils down to traversing endless mountain ledges, walls, pillars, iron bars and countless jumps interspersed with simplistic combat sequences." -cjensen

This is ALL he said about gameplay, for someone whose original point was about graphics not making a game, he sure focused a lot more of his review on them. He simply made a few broad claims and offered no support for his statements.

It's safe to say this review can be discarded.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

1) Critics aren't blinded by Beauty, they are blinded by awesomeness.

2) This review is god awful. Literally the worst review i've ever read. I would say it is worse than the user reviews from console haters that give games 1's on this very site. He sums up the entire gameplay in one, totally incorrect paragraph? The rest is graphics whining? Come on. He says the game is just some boring climbing around with overly-simplistic shooting tossed in on occasion? Did he even PLAY the game? I am a few hours in and often, cliimbing around is met with objects iehter falling apart or blowing up. Sometimes there are gunfights in the MIDDLE of climbing.And that doesn't even include the running sequences, being chased by trucks, or the part of the game shown at E3 where you are climbing fighting AND being chased by a helicopter. The game NEVER lets you get bored by just one thing over and over, and it certainly doesn't just toss in simplistic gunfights.

This guy is just being contrary to get attention. He isn't reviewing the game, he's reviewing the reviews.

San_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 San_09
Member since 2009 • 1206 Posts

The guy has a point. Uncharted 2 was mainly hyped because of the graphics.

Dimb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dimb
Member since 2005 • 1178 Posts

Well i can't read the article because the site isn't loading but I from what O've played Uncharted 2 is everything that its cracked up to be and then some. At least in my opinion.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

LoL. This game has probably one of the best stories ever in gaming, exelent platforming/firefight combinations and superb graphics. And he goes on to whine how ALL you do is jump, climb and shoot. So whats so big about CoD? Only thing you do there is jump and shoot...

He obviusly never tried stealth kills, melee, shooting from ledges, shooting mid air, kicking people off ledges and the loads of other ways of eliminating other people in this game, along with the platforming and puzzles.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

lol that site STINKS...it cant even load correctly. He doenst get paid much for that review, I can promise you that.

If he's bashing UC2 for the issues had had with it, it makes you think, did he ever play or review UC1?!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5dd711115e664

San_09

Hyping a game because of graphics is nowhere CLOSE to being the same as playing and reviewing a game based on the total package.

Elv0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Elv0
Member since 2009 • 72 Posts

Then again, not everyone is bound to love Uncharted 2, saying it's ubber crap....

rogerjak

Can't agree more. he is just going against the flow so someone will read his Review. he is saying that "Great Graphics Do Not Make a Great Game" well i think that a lot of people enjoy this game because of its realistic and great graphics.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

rogerjak
That's kind of how I feel, as a matter of fact I work for an online publication and when discussing what content we want to run, sometimes we do print features where someone looks at the opposite side of an argument even if they don't feel like it. Or maybe homeboy just saw an opportunity to get his website attention by being the first guy to trash Uncharted 2. Either way, I think few people will agree with any of it.

If his feelings are legit and he's not just trying to get attention, then his main argument basically seems to be "I'm old, I've seen this all before." Well I'm old too, or at least starting to get there, and I've seen the same things he's seen. Even though numerous times while playing Uncharted 2 I said to myself "I saw this in movie X" or "I did this in Game Y" (and I do wish somewhat that it wasn't like that), in the end it didn't matter a whole lot because the whole thing came together in a package that pretty much kicked the ass of most of the games or movies who did it before. I loved the game, probably my favorite one I've played in a long time. If he didn't, that's his loss I guess.
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

i stopped reading at "99% of videogames have horrendous voice acting"

PrincePwnStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PrincePwnStar
Member since 2006 • 409 Posts

So that is where comic book guy writes his reviews. Good to know.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

spawnassasin
Why? That's as true a statement as I've ever seen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5dd711115e664

[QUOTE="spawnassasin"]

wstfld

Why? That's as true a statement as I've ever seen.

So, in the opinion of yourself AND this "reviewer", something is either the best ever...or "horrendous"? There is never anything in between? No sliding scale? Just best ever or horrendous.

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

i'll skip the analysis and just say this: i love UC2 too much to even be bothered by anything negative others may say about it... I'm sure this guy will get some people to bite on his unpopular opinions, but in the end, it's not going to change any of the critic's reviews nor is it going to sway anyone's opinion about UC2, especially if they already like it (at least i hope people aren't that impressionable :P).

(edited due to format issues)

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Wow this guy is retarded, he states that you do everything in the first 15 minutes that is the same for any shooter. You do get better combos and new guns though. He says there is only one route so it feels like it is on rails, but that is not true at all you can climb and use roof tops or what have you. He then calls it a dumbed down version of Tomb Raider, but it surpasses Tomb Raider in every conceivable way.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

He wants to be playing Pitfall cuz he has no skills, to used to playing 2d games like mario. I am never taking another review by that guy seriously.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#21 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
But Wait, The game was highly loved the first time by the Original Fans before Uncharted even got its title of hottness...Only Official PS3 fans ride for Uncharted mostly but people who want to hop on it see the strong love and hype it gets from its fans..not the critics but who cares anyway ? The game already sold over 1 million copies in 3 days and they could obviously make a pt 3 and get good money asap lol The game was a success and im not just going to buy this game for the graphics it was for the story and everything. I love the cast and I find the game interesting like a show or something but I love the game for its gameplay,trophies but not for its graphics... i mean, thats what makes it a great part becuase I played Uncharted 1's story almost a good 3 to 4 times and i loved it. People who purchased Uncharted 2 are still playing it over on their 3rd play.
Kleeyook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#22 Kleeyook
Member since 2008 • 5213 Posts

[QUOTE="San_09"]

ZIMdoom

Hyping a game because of graphics is nowhere CLOSE to being the same as playing and reviewing a game based on the total package.

Serves him right! :D What about Halo ODST hype? its graphics is nowhere near of KZ2 and more like an expansion pack than a full $60 retail game but a lot of reviewers just say it's so damn good. It's simply one of the most hype game ever. I wonder how wonderful its gameplay could be.
anarchist4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 anarchist4eva
Member since 2009 • 222 Posts

I found out all I need to know when Google Chrome tells me this site hosts malware with a big red warning screen on it. No need to read the review after that.

NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NaughtyRag
Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

1 - i have played games just as long as him

2 - i worked in the field

To sum him up this is all you need to know.

This guy would say a FPS was terrible because you had to shoot.

Move on, he just doesn't get games and is annoyed and upset that people don't share his views. Hype these days makes a person express themselves in an irrational way.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

LoL. This game has probably one of the best stories ever in gaming, exelent platforming/firefight combinations and superb graphics. And he goes on to whine how ALL you do is jump, climb and shoot. So whats so big about CoD? Only thing you do there is jump and shoot...

He obviusly never tried stealth kills, melee, shooting from ledges, shooting mid air, kicking people off ledges and the loads of other ways of eliminating other people in this game, along with the platforming and puzzles.

chaplainDMK

Well said

to the reviewer: i guess he just wants to stand out by giving it a bad score. I mean, what did he expect? A mix of every genre? uncharted 2 already mixed 3rd person shooter and platformer perfect and to have actually two genres mixed is more than enough :/

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

[QUOTE="San_09"]

Kleeyook

Serves him right! :D What about Halo ODST hype? its graphics is nowhere near of KZ2 and more like an expansion pack than a full $60 retail game but a lot of reviewers just say it's so damn good. It's simply one of the most hype game ever. I wonder how wonderful its gameplay could be.

dont get me started on odst im glad i only rented it

Gamerboi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Gamerboi27
Member since 2005 • 3261 Posts

no matter how bad the review states i think its an awesome game so w.e

Blue_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blue_Panda
Member since 2006 • 1293 Posts

i was getting at this in my other thread. nobody agreed with me other than maybe 1 poster. this guy is taking it real far tho, i still enjoyed the game and its probably my goty if ratchet or mw2 arent any good

kgb1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 kgb1234
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts

This guy is way off base. His only support to any arguement is right here:

"Graphics in gaming is like special-effects in movies: special-effects cannot save what is an otherwise terrible movie. You need look no further than Transformers 2 or just about every other special-effects heavy movie ever released." -cjensen

Which is a horribly misleading analogy. In Movies special effects are used to for sole purpose of glorifying action and does not contribute to viewer's perspective on the 'world' of whatever movie they are watching. In gaming, graphics enhance the players ability to immerse themself into the world of the protagonist. Here the player does not only get a glorified action sequence, but can look at the game as it's own world and feel apart of it.

Cjensen's was trying to make the point that graphics do not make a game, but it is obvious gameplay does. So why did he spend 90% of his review on voice acting and graphics and leave a few cruddy general sentences for the gameplay that had no support, which makes me doubt he played past the first few chapters.

"Playing the first 15 minutes of Uncharted 2 offers you just about every gameplay experience you'll encounter through the entirety of the game. It boils down to traversing endless mountain ledges, walls, pillars, iron bars and countless jumps interspersed with simplistic combat sequences." -cjensen

This is ALL he said about gameplay, for someone whose original point was about graphics not making a game, he sure focused a lot more of his review on them. He simply made a few broad claims and offered no support for his statements.

It's safe to say this review can be discarded.

MajorGamer531

i completely agree, he offered useless analogies and baseless points to try and be different from the majority. I have no issue in someone disliking UC2, but do it legitimately. When he discards the pacing of the action, forgets the puzzles simply because it won't work in favor of his argument, and plays the game as if its any other shooter but doesn't explore the other options, he renders his review useless. Doesn't even mention online play at all, does he??

The problem with this reviewer is that he likely played a quarter through the game the entire time being very skeptical of it. Rather then thinking what most reviewers do when they review a game, which is asking themselves "what makes this game good and/or bad" he's only asking "why did other reviewers think this game was so good?". In effect, rather then being blinded by the hype of graphics as he calls it, he was blinded by his skepticisms of other reviewers' praise, destroying his own review in the exact opposite way that a review based solely on graphics would do too.

mhsdrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mhsdrake
Member since 2007 • 3091 Posts
To anyone who deosnt like Uncharted 2, I would like to know what games they DO like.
hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts

Uncharted 2 simply has one of the best stories I have ever played in a game. Not only that but the game looks like a movie for the most part and truely gives you the full experience of what a action/adventure/3rd person shooter should give the audience. Of course not everyone will like it or enjoy it but you got to give loads of credit to Naughty Dog for coming out with such a high quality game.

I bought Uncharted 2 the first day it came out and I can't get enough of it. The story drew me in instantly, the characters in the game almost so life-like that when you finish the game you wonder what they are doing......scary i know but speaking the truth.

I only sit and wait for the 3rd installment of Uncharted to debut......

adizorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 adizorz
Member since 2008 • 1410 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
deactivated-60a18c108ffa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
Member since 2008 • 7541 Posts

What a d-bag. I'm on my third run through and I'm loving every second of it. I still haven't really gotten into multiplayer either. Uncharted 2 is tha bomb and this guy is obviously just crying out for attention. Whiny little ****

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

Can people not notice? This is the same extact thing people did when Killzone 2 came out. The haters were saying it was all graphics and no gameplay. Now they are trying the same little thing with Uncharted 2.