Two quick questions about Dark Souls

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

So far the game is pretty dang good, but there are two things that are perplexing me. Right now I am stuck just past the massive metal boar boss, trying to get through all the Knights with the fur capes. It's a ton of fun making slow progress, but two things are plaguing me atm:

1) Do enemies have an aggro point? I mean, at some point will they give up on you and go elsewhere? I ask only because I am trying to slip past the giant black knight in the church just past the gate guarded by the metal boar, and he chased me pretty far before he and his buddies got me.

2) One BIG problem I had was that I opened the gate leading to the church, effectively cutting out a bit of out of the way backtracking, but when I died the gate closed! Why is that? Do passages not stay open when you die? Cuz I feel like that kind of eliminates the point...

3) When will I meet a blacksmith/arrow vendor? My items are starting to break down after 2 hours of not being repaired, and I want some bolts for my crossbow so I can get the Drake Sword. However, becuase this game lacks a central hub, I don't know where the hell I will find these guys.

It's such a good game, and even though I just spent the last 90 minutes making absolutely no progress, I was still having a great time! It's a tough slog, and if you guys also have any advice about where to go next for some good gear or where I might make better progress at my level (only lvl 16 with low lvl gear) I would very much appreciate the help.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

So far the game is pretty dang good, but there are two things that are perplexing me. Right now I am stuck just past the massive metal boar boss, trying to get through all the Knights with the fur capes. It's a ton of fun making slow progress, but two things are plaguing me atm:

1) Do enemies have an aggro point? I mean, at some point will they give up on you and go elsewhere? I ask only because I am trying to slip past the giant black knight in the church just past the gate guarded by the metal boar, and he chased me pretty far before he and his buddies got me.

2) One BIG problem I had was that I opened the gate leading to the church, effectively cutting out a bit of out of the way backtracking, but when I died the gate closed! Why is that? Do passages not stay open when you die? Cuz I feel like that kind of eliminates the point...

3) When will I meet a blacksmith/arrow vendor? My items are starting to break down after 2 hours of not being repaired, and I want some bolts for my crossbow so I can get the Drake Sword. However, becuase this game lacks a central hub, I don't know where the hell I will find these guys.

It's such a good game, and even though I just spent the last 90 minutes making absolutely no progress, I was still having a great time! It's a tough slog, and if you guys also have any advice about where to go next for some good gear or where I might make better progress at my level (only lvl 16 with low lvl gear) I would very much appreciate the help.

Essian

as for arrow vendors, there's one near the last bonfire before you fight the first boss. if you're leaving the bonfire make the first right down a staircase, then a left where you'll find a staircase hidden beneath some boxes. Go down that staircase and I think it's the first doorway that leads you to a vendor. There you can purchase arrows/bolts and get some type of item that allows you to increase your right handed weapon stats back to high.

I was also wondering about the first question, as it seemed enemies really followed you a lot longer than in Demon's Souls. I know that climbing a ladder is an easy way to just stand above them and take them out, but of course this isn't always possible.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Essian

[QUOTE="Essian"]

blueboxdoctor

as for arrow vendors, there's one near the last bonfire before you fight the first boss. if you're leaving the bonfire make the first right down a staircase, then a left where you'll find a staircase hidden beneath some boxes. Go down that staircase and I think it's the first doorway that leads you to a vendor. There you can purchase arrows/bolts and get some type of item that allows you to increase your right handed weapon stats back to high.

I was also wondering about the first question, as it seemed enemies really followed you a lot longer than in Demon's Souls. I know that climbing a ladder is an easy way to just stand above them and take them out, but of course this isn't always possible.

I dunno... It just doesn't make sense that enemies would follow you endlessly in an open world game. When I want to quickly go from a later area back to an earlier one, you would think I would be able to without penalty. Also, if you need to make a suicide run to a healer to remove a curse or something, it would remove the point if every enemy you passed just caught up with you once you were healed...
NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 NaughtyRag
Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

i gave up on my character when i made it to the boar (magic is weak now).. spent like 2 hours trying to get through the catacombs at level 8 (possibly lower, first area i went to) damn graveyard got my ass kicked anyways i figured that was way to hard to be (but kept trying lol) and ran out of there back to the bonfire and the skeletons chased me for a while but gave up before i got there.. So pretty sure they don't chase you forever..

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Essian

i gave up on my character when i made it to the boar (magic is weak now).. spent like 2 hours trying to get through the catacombs at level 8 (possibly lower, first area i went to) damn graveyard got my ass kicked anyways i figured that was way to hard to be (but kept trying lol) and ran out of there back to the bonfire and the skeletons chased me for a while but gave up before i got there.. So pretty sure they don't chase you forever..

NaughtyRag
well that is something
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

the enemies in Dark Souls will follow you till you can successfully evade them or until you die

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Essian

the enemies in Dark Souls will follow you till you can successfully evade them or until you die

spawnassasin
what do you mean by successfully evade?
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

[QUOTE="spawnassasin"]

Essian

manage to outrun them and find a good spot to hide

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Essian

[QUOTE="Essian"][QUOTE="spawnassasin"]

spawnassasin

manage to outrun them and find a good spot to hide

lol you can hide in this game? They don't just magically know where you are?
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
im pretty sure that enemies follow you until you rest at a bonfire. thats one of the things FS tweaked from demons souls so you couldnt just break their line of sight and then backstab them once they turn around. as for a blacksmith, the one i know of is at the very beginning of the ruins below your original camp. take the elevator down and look on the right side once the area opens up. there should be some deranged prisoner lounging at the top of a set of stairs. go down the stairs and there will be a happily caged blacksmith in the cliff wall.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Essian
im pretty sure that enemies follow you until you rest at a bonfire. thats one of the things FS tweaked from demons souls so you couldnt just break their line of sight and then backstab them once they turn around. as for a blacksmith, the one i know of is at the very beginning of the ruins below your original camp. take the elevator down and look on the right side once the area opens up. there should be some deranged prisoner lounging at the top of a set of stairs. go down the stairs and there will be a happily caged blacksmith in the cliff wall.LoG-Sacrament
I know for a fact that resting a bonfire doesn't do anything. I had one of those golden knights chasing me that guard treasure in the early game... yeah I managed to rest at a bonfire and while I was resting he killed me... and he chased me pretty futt bucking far too
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]im pretty sure that enemies follow you until you rest at a bonfire. thats one of the things FS tweaked from demons souls so you couldnt just break their line of sight and then backstab them once they turn around. as for a blacksmith, the one i know of is at the very beginning of the ruins below your original camp. take the elevator down and look on the right side once the area opens up. there should be some deranged prisoner lounging at the top of a set of stairs. go down the stairs and there will be a happily caged blacksmith in the cliff wall.Essian
I know for a fact that resting a bonfire doesn't do anything. I had one of those golden knights chasing me that guard treasure in the early game... yeah I managed to rest at a bonfire and while I was resting he killed me... and he chased me pretty futt bucking far too

:lol: theyre relentless then and youre screwed.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Essian
[QUOTE="Essian"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]im pretty sure that enemies follow you until you rest at a bonfire. thats one of the things FS tweaked from demons souls so you couldnt just break their line of sight and then backstab them once they turn around. as for a blacksmith, the one i know of is at the very beginning of the ruins below your original camp. take the elevator down and look on the right side once the area opens up. there should be some deranged prisoner lounging at the top of a set of stairs. go down the stairs and there will be a happily caged blacksmith in the cliff wall.LoG-Sacrament

:lol: theyre relentless then and youre screwed.

well that's discouraging...