TV Settings - not satisfied

This topic is locked from further discussion.

szafto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 szafto
Member since 2006 • 1389 Posts

I feel like im not satisfied enough from the image quality of my TV and i need some help.

Theres a game mode on my tv and if i put it on i cant adjust brightness contrast and so on. But here are the other options i wonder about:

Power save mode: eco, off

backlight: low, medium, high, auto

Picture zoom: auto, full, 16:9 and some others

film mode; auto, off

hdmi true black: off, on

I feel like everythings kinda distant and its hard to see details and so on

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Calibrate the damn thing and be done with it. Usually someone has done it with proper software and equipment and posted their optimal settings online. I tend to just copy those settings as they are as close as your going to get without actually getting down with some equipment and calibrating it properly. It honestly makes the world of difference. I just did all my friends televisions as all of them came with a washed out look with whites overpowering everything else. Now their super expensive screens actually look like they were worth the money, instead of expensive screens that look like a cheap off brand make with a shit panel.

Screens don't come shipped with optimal settings, unless advertised as such. So it's all ways up to the owner of the screen to calibrate it. Those extra settings like game mode are complete shit 99% of the time. On all my screens, those types of settings never offer the best image quality, when compared to a full calibration that pulls out the best in all areas of the screens capabilities.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

Calibrate the damn thing and be done with it. Usually someone has done it with proper software and equipment and posted their optimal settings online. I tend to just copy those settings as they are as close as your going to get without actually getting down with some equipment and calibrating it properly. It honestly makes the world of difference. I just did all my friends televisions as all of them came with a washed out look with whites overpowering everything else. Now their super expensive screens actually look like they were worth the money, instead of expensive screens that look like a cheap off brand make with a shit panel.

Screens don't come shipped with optimal settings, unless advertised as such. So it's all ways up to the owner of the screen to calibrate it. Those extra settings like game mode are complete shit 99% of the time. On all my screens, those types of settings never offer the best image quality, when compared to a full calibration that pulls out the best in all areas of the screens capabilities.

That's pointless advice if your just copying someone's settings.

Every TV/panel is slightly different as well as lighting conditions in their home/house/apt, and people's eyesights vary.

Its much better to buy a BD calibration disc of amazon or wherever else and spend the 20-30 mins properly configuring your TV, or if you got a bit more money, get a calibration professional who brings all the equipment and calibrates YOUR TV.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12

@ribstaylor1 said:

That's pointless advice if your just copying someone's settings.

Every TV/panel is slightly different as well as lighting conditions in their home/house/apt, and people's eyesights vary.

Its much better to buy a BD calibration disc of amazon or wherever else and spend the 20-30 mins properly configuring your TV, or if you got a bit more money, get a calibration professional who brings all the equipment and calibrates YOUR TV.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@GTR12: Did it once and will never do it again. Waste of my money and time, for an image that looked almost identical and almost exactly the same as the settings posted on CNET the effort wasn't worth it. These panels are as close as they are going to get, yes individualizing each screens calibration would be good but it's not necessary when what's posted is 99.9% close to what you end up with for settings in the end. I agree that lighting conditions play a large roll, but I'm not about to assume he's put his television directly in front of a sun baked window for the majority of the day. As most people who play games play them in darker rooms to begin with. If you can't find any calibrated settings online then ya go ahead and do it yourself spend the cash, but even with the variances in panels generally the settings posted by sites like CNET are generally far better then the factory settings and close enough to perfect for the majority of people out there.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

@szafto said:

I feel like im not satisfied enough from the image quality of my TV and i need some help.

Theres a game mode on my tv and if i put it on i cant adjust brightness contrast and so on. But here are the other options i wonder about:

Power save mode: eco, off

backlight: low, medium, high, auto

Picture zoom: auto, full, 16:9 and some others

film mode; auto, off

hdmi true black: off, on

I feel like everythings kinda distant and its hard to see details and so on

Gaming mode basically disables many of the processing options done by the TV in order to reduce input lag. You can always do a custom mode if your TV allows and adjust the color, contrast, etc to what you like, but disable all the items that would be processed by the TV. Ex. Image enhancement options, noise reduction...things like that. Good luck.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12

@ribstaylor1:

/facepalm

apparently 30 mins is too long of your life out of 80yrs, and when you spend 10k on a TV every 8-10yrs, I want the best, I don't want 90% of the quality, I want the 99.9%.

And I don't sit in the basement playing my consoles, I play in a well-lit room, whats the point in playing if you cant appreciate the visuals?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ribstaylor1

@GTR12: $10k on a tv... If it doesn't come calibrated out the damn box, and to perfection you've wasted a lot of money because wtf else would you be paying such an insane mark up for? The TC clearly isn't using a high end screen.. So I gave him an answer that would suite what seems to be the average guy, with an average tv, on an overall average setup. I didn't give an answer for the person who buys the ludicrously expensive televisions for the sake of being cutting edge. If he had been that guy asking the questions I'd have given him a different answer, but that guy didn't ask, the TC did and I gave an answer that suites what seems to be average equipment and an average dude who doesn't give too shits about perfect blacks or color accuracy beyond just wanting their screen to look nicer. To most people and probably the TC using calibration settings from the likes of CNET or other various tech sites is good enough. If the mans using a $10k screen ya get it professionally calibrated, though for that price if it isn't all ready done out the box you got ripped off.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12

@ribstaylor1 said:

@GTR12: $10k on a tv... If it doesn't come calibrated out the damn box, and to perfection you've wasted a lot of money because wtf else would you be paying such an insane mark up for? The TC clearly isn't using a high end screen.. So I gave him an answer that would suite what seems to be the average guy, with an average tv, on an overall average setup. I didn't give an answer for the person who buys the ludicrously expensive televisions for the sake of being cutting edge. If he had been that guy asking the questions I'd have given him a different answer, but that guy didn't ask, the TC did and I gave an answer that suites what seems to be average equipment and an average dude who doesn't give too shits about perfect blacks or color accuracy beyond just wanting their screen to look nicer. To most people and probably the TC using calibration settings from the likes of CNET or other various tech sites is good enough. If the mans using a $10k screen ya get it professionally calibrated, though for that price if it isn't all ready done out the box you got ripped off.

Umm nope, it is arguably one of the best TV's still in existence, and 10k was a steal for this set.

Even for the average guy, spending $30 on a BD and 30 mins configuring is easy, are people really that lazy to even do that? I think you are. People spend 30 mins eating lunch or getting ready for work everyday, why bother, just change clothes and slap on deodorant, there, your good to go.

Whats the point in playing on your new console if you cant even appreciate the visuals?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ribstaylor1

Yes people are that lazy, and cheap. $30 for some when you can get almost the exact same results for free isn't worth it. Wasn't for me and I regretted my purchase afterwards, as I stated earlier the results varied almost to the point of being completely unnoticeable. I won't knock your choice in tech we all like shiny expensive things, though I don't see why such a crazy expensive television would be needed for a machine that often can't even display it's games at 1080p. $10k television/$400 game machine. Really hope you have a pc hooked up to it as well, or the whole appreciate the visuals idea goes right down the drain. You could own 4 screens with amazing quality panels, along with all the game machines including a beefy 4k pc for the price of a single one of that $10k screen. Just seems odd, especially as screens at 4k are finally getting around to average consumer prices.

Out of curiosity what display are you running?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GTR12

@ribstaylor1:

Kuro 60" as TV, hooked up to about 6 devices, BD player, Amp, PC, Console, DVR/PVR, PayTV.

BenQ 24" monitor (cost about $800 back in 2008), also hooked up to PC, Console etc.

It depends who wants to watch the big TV, also got 3 other TV's scattered across the house.

szafto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 szafto

Lol what settings should i use? Backlight etc

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

The backlight works in conjuction with the brightness setting when using a setup/calibation disc in the brightness test. So just put it on medium. Picture zoom should be auto or just scan different companies call it different things. True hdmi black u would have to have the setup disc and try it on and off with the brightness test on the setup disc.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Just a friendly reminder to keep this thread on-topic. Let's not turn this into a pissing contest about who's got the better TV or criticizing other peoples choices.

TC, your best bet is to play around with the settings whilst a game is running and see which looks best to you, that's all I did and I'm extremely happy how great my games look now. I wish they came pre-calibrated though.

szafto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 szafto

Anyone?

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@szafto said:

Anyone?

What else do you exactly want to know?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

@szafto said:

Anyone?

I guess he missed the part : "your best bet is to play around with the settings whilst a game is running and see which looks best to you"

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GTR12

@raugutcon said:

@BattleSpectre said:

I guess he missed the part : "your best bet is to play around with the settings whilst a game is running and see which looks best to you"

Or he's a troll, 4 topics created by TC concerning "TV's" in his posting history in the last 2 months...