turn a ps3 into a render machine! (new)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aaronaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 aaronaton
Member since 2003 • 743 Posts

If you run the linux OS it is possible to turn your Ps3 into the fastest home rendering machine on earth.

At the minute i don't think there are linux versions of maya or 3dstudiomax, but maya does a batch rendering tool designed for linux based servers, its free to download if you know where etc. So basically you can create you animations on your PC and export the maya file to your linux runnning PS3. Click batch render and then it asks you 'use all available processors'and assign a destination and voila!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ive just finised rendering 100 frame animation running at 24fps, so 4 seconds ofa missle and particle trail all rendered in mental ray with final gather and full 3d motion blur. On my laptop this single frame took about 8mins to render, on my Ps3 however it took just 1minute. Couldnt believe it! pixar best watch out lol, ive gotta home supercomputer that only cost me £425!

x

azzezino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 azzezino
Member since 2002 • 4570 Posts
That is really cool.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
Do some more! These are cool.
PeterTimpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 PeterTimpa
Member since 2005 • 2509 Posts
That is pretty much awesome I want to try that. A guy I know from work he is one of m=y usual coustermers and he is into all of that He is simply amazing he composed a human head in about 45 min
Stelron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stelron
Member since 2003 • 201 Posts
Absolutely breliant! I will try it for sure! The problem is the software...
M1KES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 M1KES
Member since 2003 • 750 Posts
OMG!! That is so cool!!! Do you know if it is posible to do that on 3ds max? I only use 3ds max, havent learnt much on maya. The ps3 would really help on renders. Just the animation on my sig took 5 minuts to render each frame.
v_rfranco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 v_rfranco
Member since 2004 • 282 Posts
That is some crazy stuff right there, u should make more and see wat u can come up with
urio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 urio1
Member since 2007 • 1576 Posts
coooooooooooooool!!!!
ambesound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ambesound
Member since 2006 • 160 Posts
I didn't think that Linux on the PS3 could even see that the SPE's exist
aaronaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aaronaton

i didnt know that i could either, but this lad on my course told me that the fact that maya asked you 'use all available processors?' i think you get to use 6 simultaneously.

1 little thing thou, maya doesnt make the animation into a decent AVI, it can make one but the file size is super huge, i suggest rendering each frame as a targa and then using a composition program like myself on your PC or something.

NamanOWNSyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 NamanOWNSyou
Member since 2005 • 1191 Posts
It doesn't. Nor does it recognize the GPU. All that rendering is done by a handicapped CELL. So what you're seeing isn't close to full performance. :)
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 eclipsed4utoo
Member since 2006 • 10578 Posts

It doesn't. Nor does it recognize the GPU. All that rendering is done by a handicapped CELL. So what you're seeing isn't close to full performance. :)NamanOWNSyou

that's what I was about to say. Imagine if we were given access to the GPU.

guanuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 guanuma
Member since 2005 • 234 Posts
thats very cool dude, please do some more
aaronaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 aaronaton
wierdly, i dont think many renders use the GPU, i think most of it is from the processor.
smashhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 smashhero
Member since 2004 • 1101 Posts

wierdly, i dont think many renders use the GPU, i think most of it is from the processor.aaronaton

No, but many renders from both together. Much Better !

Tauron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tauron
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
can you give instructions or links on how to set this up in linux. I assume you're using the mental ray satellite to render your maya files in linux. I've been trying to get it to work on my ps3 but haven't had success.
Xagemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xagemo
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

i believe that maya uses the GPU only for real-time playback of the timeline, and the mental ray renderer only takes advanage of the CPU.

I would very much like to see some sort of walkthrough or general instructions on what you did to set up both the linux installation on your PS3 (and the subsequent mental ray satellite install) and also your setup for the network render in maya. i would really like to use this to be able to pump out my animation mentor renders faster.

Marcusqc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Marcusqc
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
some one know where find this ''batch rendering tool designed for linux based servers'' because i whont find anything for linux on some source (google,mirc,etc) ???
indongga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 indongga
Member since 2003 • 10329 Posts
ugh i dont have linux but i have 3dsmax
hgkoutsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hgkoutsis
Member since 2003 • 37 Posts

If you run the linux OS it is possible to turn your Ps3 into the fastest home rendering machine on earth.

At the minute i don't think there are linux versions of maya or 3dstudiomax, but maya does a batch rendering tool designed for linux based servers, its free to download if you know where etc. So basically you can create you animations on your PC and export the maya file to your linux runnning PS3. Click batch render and then it asks you 'use all available processors'and assign a destination and voila!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ive just finised rendering 100 frame animation running at 24fps, so 4 seconds ofa missle and particle trail all rendered in mental ray with final gather and full 3d motion blur. On my laptop this single frame took about 8mins to render, on my Ps3 however it took just 1minute. Couldnt believe it! pixar best watch out lol, ive gotta home supercomputer that only cost me £425!

x

aaronaton

Sorry to geek it up but:

Maya's original OS is Unix, Back before Autodesk and Alias there was Wavefront and Maya was used strictly on SGI computers. So it should be easy to render on the PS3 with Linux. If you use a mac you will get a similar same result.(Linux based OS) Plus MEL script is C based and can run with Linux no prob.! but ya ...I have been using my PS3/Maya/Mac for character animations and dynamic responses for a while now. Good to know someone else is using it.

Teyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Teyon
Member since 2004 • 678 Posts

Sweet. That's pretty cool. I assume you modeled on your PC and then rendered on the PS3. That's nifty. I wonder how it'd handle some displacement in your render or more objects for that matter. Man...I'm tempted to give it a try but I'm no fan of Linux.

Hmm...we're looking into making Linux products at work, so if that happens, then I'll be sure to give this a try (since I'll have too anyway).

dizzyd12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dizzyd12
Member since 2004 • 30 Posts

aaronaton,

I have been looking for this mythed standalone mentalray render program for linux for a while now and have been completely unsuccessful. Where do I go? Can you throw me a link? Also, how do i install it? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Tauron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Tauron
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I call BS on this post. Mental Ray Sattellite does not have a Linux PPC version so it won't work on the PS3. That is why he won't give a link to the "render tool" he is referring to. It doesn't exist. Mental Ray does say they are working on a version for the cell but it hasn't been released yet.
dizzyd12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dizzyd12
Member since 2004 • 30 Posts

Mental Ray does say they are working on a version for the cell but it hasn't been released yet.Tauron

Do you have a link or any info on this? It is not that I don't believe you, I just don't want to fall for any more BS than I already have.

firebreathing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 firebreathing
Member since 2005 • 4619 Posts
now if only they could make the internet browser not suck so horribly.
hgkoutsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hgkoutsis
Member since 2003 • 37 Posts
Maya, was origanlly coded to run on Unix so I have run it on Lenix and Apple's OS X. 3Dstudio. does not work
tadpole3159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tadpole3159
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
omg hurry up and tell us how you did it. my god your slow