Trouble with Final Fantasy VII

This topic is locked from further discussion.

redtiger676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 redtiger676
Member since 2004 • 3266 Posts
So I decided to play through Final Fantasy VII again for the first time in several years, and everything was going smoothly up until I got to Dom's mansion (the part where you have to dress like a woman to get inside). When I entered the basement to rescue Tifa, the music continues to play but the screen stays black. I tried a few times and it randomly worked once, but when I had to go back downstairs, the area didn't load again. I have the most recent firmware available and I have the 80 GB PS3. If anyone knows if there is any solution to this, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Avatar image for LightReflection
LightReflection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LightReflection
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts
Make sure you have the PS disc speed and texture smoothing set to normal. Only think I can think of.
redtiger676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 redtiger676
Still not working. Anyone else? I'm dying to play this game again
caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts
Is the disc scratched?
thanos723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 thanos723
Member since 2006 • 871 Posts
Is the disc scratched?caseystryker
socomn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 socomn00b
Member since 2007 • 633 Posts
[QUOTE="caseystryker"]Is the disc scratched?thanos723

Would like to know this as well, though mine's seen it's wear and tear over the years and I haven't had this problem.
redtiger676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 redtiger676
It is, yeah, but it always worked fine and it's been in really the same condition for a long while now. The only annoyance is that if it is scratched I have to shell out a bit of cash to buy another copy... then if it STILL doesn't work... well then...
caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts
Try doing this. Take a small amount of toothpaste and apply it to the disc. Take your finger and gently work the paste around in circles just like you're waxing a car until the entire bottom side of the disc has a small layer of toothpaste covering it. Take a soft towel and wipe it off by starting at the center of the disc and pulling outwards straight towards you. Avoid wiping it off using circular motions at all cost. This has worked for me about 80% of the time if I have a scratched up disc that I find won't play.
Strife037

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Strife037
Member since 2007 • 647 Posts

Try doing this. Take a small amount of toothpaste and apply it to the disc. Take your finger and gently work the paste around in circles just like you're waxing a car until the entire bottom side of the disc has a small layer of toothpaste covering it. Take a soft towel and wipe it off by starting at the center of the disc and pulling outwards straight towards you. Avoid wiping it off using circular motions at all cost. This has worked for me about 80% of the time if I have a scratched up disc that I find won't play.caseystryker

lol, i had a friend in middle school that would put zit cream on his discs and would swear that it worked... lol

thanos723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 thanos723
Member since 2006 • 871 Posts
or you can go the conventional way and use a disk repair kit. i suggest skip dr. had a gta3 that didn't work straight the beginning. bought one of those, and then i played it the whole way through
redtiger676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 redtiger676

Try doing this. Take a small amount of toothpaste and apply it to the disc. Take your finger and gently work the paste around in circles just like you're waxing a car until the entire bottom side of the disc has a small layer of toothpaste covering it. Take a soft towel and wipe it off by starting at the center of the disc and pulling outwards straight towards you. Avoid wiping it off using circular motions at all cost. This has worked for me about 80% of the time if I have a scratched up disc that I find won't play.caseystryker

I just tried it and it didn't work. Looks like I'm going to find another copy of the game. :\

Avatar image for alwayspureblood
alwayspureblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 alwayspureblood
Member since 2008 • 872 Posts

I really wouldn't try that toothpaste. I tried it so many times on my FF8 discs and just eventually had to purchase a new game.

If you have a PS2 or PS1 try and play the game on that. If all else fails, then unfortunately you're going to have to search for a new copy. :/

Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

I really wouldn't try that toothpaste. I tried it so many times on my FF8 discs and just eventually had to purchase a new game.

If you have a PS2 or PS1 try and play the game on that. If all else fails, then unfortunately you're going to have to search for a new copy. :/

alwayspureblood

If you try the toothpaste thing too much, you'll screw up the disc. Use a minimal amount of toothpaste and move gently in small circles. Don't allow the disc to get too hot from the friction either.

I'm not sure, but every type of toothpaste may not work for this... some just might not have enough grit in them. It's basically the same principle as buffing scratches out of a car or boat or something. But it takes gentleness and patience.