Trouble getting picture/sound through HDMI cable--possibly bad HDMI port on PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Halo2_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Halo2_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 271 Posts

So here's my predicament. My PS3 has been working flawlessly since I got it when it launched years ago. The other day I watched a movie on it and turned it off. Later when I went back to turn it on I got no audio/video. NOTE: I have my PS3 hooked up to a Dell flatscreen monitor via HDMI. When my PS3 is turned off, the monitor goes into power screen mode, but when I turn it on it will go out of power save mode-- THIS STILL HAPPENS even though I no longer get any picture or sound. So obviously somehow it is sensing the PS3 is turning on, but without giving me any picture/sound. My first thought is that the settings on my PS3 had changed...
Things I've tried:
1. Holding the ON button on the PS3 to have it detect my HDMI settings-- still no picture or sound
2. I hooked it up to a friends television via the red/yellow/white aux cables, which worked perfectly fine (tv didn't have HDMI). I reset the settigns
3. I also tried hooking my laptop up to the monitor I use my PS3 on (Laptop-DVI to PS3-HDMI) and the picture showed up on the monitor, meaning the HDMI port on the monitor is just fine

This leaves me thinking that somehow the HDMI port on my PS3 isn't working? I'm not sure, this whole thing baffles me 1)because it worked just fine earlier that day but hasn't since and 2) my monitor still goes out of power save mode when I turn on the PS3 and back into powersave mode when I turn off the PS3. I'm going to try hooking it up to another friends TV with HDMI to see if that works but who knows...

Any suggestions???
ALL help is appreciated, thanks in advance

theanswers8838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 theanswers8838
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
My DVD player does this often, what I do is unplug the DVD player, leave it for a moment, and then plug it back in. The sound came right back, and the picture too. Doesn't Work? Then here's another suggestion, look at the settings on your PS3, is it set to HDMI output, the settings might have reset when turning it off. Still Doesn't Work? Here's my final suggestion, try a different HDMI cable to your TV, or try a different cable all together, if the other cable works(component, RCA) , then look at the settings I suggested earlier.
shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
Same thing happened to me after lightning struck feet away from my building. After the storm passed, my HDMI connection to my PS3/360 would not work at all. I had to purchase HD component cables from Amazon - they worked! Try component cables to see if that works..
Halo2_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Halo2_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 271 Posts

Hey thanks for your guys' input. I've tried most of the things you mentioned and the HD component cables don't connect to my monitor... :(
Any other help would be much appreciated!