Thinking About Buying a PSP.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts

Hi all, this is my very first time posting in the PSP or any hand held thread. But I was wondering what to do and go about buying a PSP. I have seen different versions and honestly its very confusing to me. Im a primary Console gamer and fell out of the portable gaming soon after the GBA SP was released in North America. I know for a fact that I won't need the newest version which is downloaded games only. I live in the country and there's no such thing as Wifi out here :P. I would probably wanna use it more for added features than game play, im only interested in playing the newest MGS release which I have heard good reviews about. Any useful information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :)

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#2 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts

If you're only planning on playing one game, the rest isn't that complicated. Assuming you want to buy retail, you'll want to/have go with the PSP 3000, the newest model of the PSP. If you plan on buying used you could find a good deal on an older 1000 or 2000 model. The PSP of course also works as a portable media player, that is also very straightforward, simply transfer MP3s by USB, and videos(even DVDs, with a bit of work) can be easily converted using PSP Video 9.

The PSP is a fairly straightforward machine, there isn't much in the way of accessories or extra parts. It's a good idea to get a case for scratches, and a friend for Peace Walker. ;) Good luck with your purchase. :)

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#3 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

If you're only planning on playing one game, the rest isn't that complicated. Assuming you want to buy retail, you'll want to/have go with the PSP 3000, the newest model of the PSP. If you plan on buying used you could find a good deal on an older 1000 or 2000 model. The PSP of course also works as a portable media player, that is also very straightforward, simply transfer MP3s by USB, and videos(even DVDs, with a bit of work) can be easily converted using PSP Video 9.

The PSP is a fairly straightforward machine, there isn't much in the way of accessories or extra parts. It's a good idea to get a case for scratches, and a friend for Peace Walker. ;) Good luck with your purchase. :)

Granpire

^this is good advice :D

blazblue152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blazblue152
Member since 2010 • 880 Posts

Granpire

granpire covered every thing for you, awesome post *thumbs up*

UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts
Hmm, I would remember to buy a memory stick, and really if you only plan on using it a little bit I would just get a psp-1000. Pretty cheapish.
deejaypsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deejaypsp
Member since 2010 • 274 Posts
Memory stick is definately a must-have, as well as some sort of case. There are so many different kinds out there, and of the few I've tried I'm currently stuck on the gamer-grip skin thing. Make sure you slap a screen protector on as soon as you get a PSP, and you're set!
Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

I'd recommend the $199 Big Boss pack from Gamestop if you have one near you. It has a tight-looking camouflage PSP-3000 (newest UMD-based version), a 4GB memory stick, a case that can hold six UMDs, a voucher to download 2012, and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, which is amazing.

There's also the Metal Gear Entertainment pack, which is the same price, except it has a green PSP and a 2GB memory stick instead of 4GB.

DON'T get the PSP-1000, it's big and clunky and the screen looks horribly washed-out after comparing it to the 3000. To me it's like comparing the screen of the original GBA with that of the newest-model GBASP, or the DS.

Xigberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xigberg
Member since 2009 • 1081 Posts

BUY ONE! THE NEW MGS GAME IS AMAZING!!!!

rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 rubedisky
Member since 2009 • 1024 Posts

I'd recommend the $199 Big Boss pack from Gamestop if you have one near you. It has a tight-looking camouflage PSP-3000 (newest UMD-based version), a 4GB memory stick, a case that can hold six UMDs, a voucher to download 2012, and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, which is amazing.

There's also the Metal Gear Entertainment pack, which is the same price, except it has a green PSP and a 2GB memory stick instead of 4GB.

DON'T get the PSP-1000, it's big and clunky and the screen looks horribly washed-out after comparing it to the 3000. To me it's like comparing the screen of the original GBA with that of the newest-model GBASP, or the DS.

Fusionmix
The 1000 is not horrible, many people find it a lot firmer and they find the UMD drive way better build. But the colors are really beautiful on psp 3000 ;).
thud4man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thud4man
Member since 2005 • 37 Posts

I have the PSP 1000 and see nothing wrong with it. The screen is bright with rich colors. I could not image it being better than this. Although I have not seen the PSP 3000 screen either. The system feels, well built, nice, and sturdy.

mralspsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mralspsp
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts

I would buy the MGS bundle. I have it and it's awesome! Just love that green color!! 8)