Think of buying a PS3...got some questions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

So as the topic title says I'm going to get myself a PS3. Thing is the new slim models look like ****. No BC, no shiney polish, no ability to upgrade HDD, less USB slots, push butons instead of touch buttons...is there any reason at all why I would want to buy a new PS3 over a used 60GB model? Like, did the original 60GB model have any hardware issues I need to be aware of when searching for used consoles?

Also, does the PS3 have any VGA cables that I can buy? Or are my only choices the composite cables and HDMI cables?

commandercrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 commandercrap
Member since 2006 • 318 Posts

Old models can overheat, and the new slim models have 120 GB anyway, and they're priced at $299. You'd be best off to get the slim. It's better, IMO. I didn't get a PS3 till it came out.

AfgZeroVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AfgZeroVirus
Member since 2007 • 631 Posts

Get the silm. I have a 60gb launch and it over heated last saturday. While the slim maybe ugly, it will probably last you longer then the fat shiny model.

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

The old 60GB's have a high tendency to fail (YLOD). Get a slim. You CAN upgrade the hard drive. Never seen any VGA cables (it's a console, not a computer)

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

So as the topic title says I'm going to get myself a PS3. Thing is the new slim models look like ****. No BC, no shiney polish, no ability to upgrade HDD, less USB slots, push butons instead of touch buttons...is there any reason at all why I would want to buy a new PS3 over a used 60GB model? Like, did the original 60GB model have any hardware issues I need to be aware of when searching for used consoles?

Also, does the PS3 have any VGA cables that I can buy? Or are my only choices the composite cables and HDMI cables?

gameguy6700

• The slim looks ugly in the pictures, but really nice in person,
  • yes you can upgrade the harddrive
  • will you ever need more than 4 USB slots?
  • the touch buttons light up, so they look better

It also runs quieter and cooler, more useful than BC imo

commandercrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 commandercrap

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26125353... just copy and paste. Don't know the BBcode and link function isn't working. This has all the info you need.

NamelessJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NamelessJay
Member since 2007 • 3082 Posts

I upgraded my HDD so that cancels out that statement, although I agree about the less USB slots being bad, I just went out and bought a USB hub and now my PS3 has 5 USB slots. I don't care at all about the shiny polish or the buttons as I am too busy playing games to look at the console or touch the buttons... and plus you don't even ACTUALLY have to push them, you can eject discs and turn the system on/off using the controller.

commandercrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 commandercrap

I upgraded my HDD so that cancels out that statement, although I agree about the less USB slots being bad, I just went out and bought a USB hub and now my PS3 has 5 USB slots. I don't care at all about the shiny polish or the buttons as I am too busy playing games to look at the console or touch the buttons... and plus you don't even ACTUALLY have to push them, you can eject discs and turn the system on/off using the controller.

NamelessJay
Either way, you can still connect the same amount of devices (7), the same as you could on the earlier models. It really just limits your USB connections for charging and / or your mouse and keyboard.
snipermx06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 snipermx06
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts

Slim.

soyt_llusala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 soyt_llusala
Member since 2004 • 289 Posts

Slim I don't care if it only got 2 USB ports. That is why USB hubs are made.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

The old 60GB's have a high tendency to fail (YLOD). Get a slim. You CAN upgrade the hard drive. Never seen any VGA cables (it's a console, not a computer)

amsfm6

Cool, I thought I had heard from somewhere before that the slim models couldn't have the HDDs upgraded or were a pain to upgrade. If they can be upgraded though would there be much of a point in getting the 250GB model in lieu of the 120GB model? Or is even just 120GB enough for the PS3 (considering that a lot of games want you to install portions to the HDD)?

Also, the reason I'm interested in VGA cables is because I don't have enough room in my room/dorm to put a giant HDTV so I make due with my PC monitor instead. I did find some VGA cables on play-asia of all places but they're ridiculously expensive (about $75 w/o shipping). Since my current monitor could use an upgrade I think I may go ahead and just splurge on a new monitor with HDMI inputs...I guess the PS3 just gives me an excuse :P

Anyway, the consensus in this thread seems to be to get the slim model so I'll probably go ahead and pick myself up one then.

NamelessJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NamelessJay
Member since 2007 • 3082 Posts

Upgrading the HDD in the slim is actually easier than upgrading for the older models. The blue screw is even more durable wahoo!

guidotwofive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 guidotwofive
Member since 2009 • 91 Posts

I like the matte finish over shiny ;)

Duxsox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Duxsox56
Member since 2009 • 1186 Posts

thelastguy

Doesn't the slim have 2 USB slots? The fat has 4.

I use every single one of my 4 USB slots when I do Rock Band.

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

gameguy6700

I just changed from my 80Gb Fat PS3 to my new 120GB slim and at first was unsure about the slims looks before i actually got my hands on mine.Now it looks far better sitting on my video unit-much smaller in size and so much quieter running,plus you can change the hard drive,so i don't know where you got the idea that you cant from?

Overall-A far Better neater console,BC isn't a problem,when i had my 1st PS3-a 60GB,i found i hardly ever played a PS2 game on it,and you find that you mostly want to be playing newer games all the time.I've bought a 2nd hand PS2 slim for playing my old PS2 games anyhows.

-ICON-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 -ICON-
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts

I like the matte finish over shiny ;)

guidotwofive
Agreed. Also get the new slim model. They update them for a reason.
Fantasticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fantasticus
Member since 2009 • 666 Posts
get a slim. my old 60gb PS3 received the infamous YLOD 3 times. the slim looks better IMO. it just is BETTER!
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#18 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

The original model is fine, its best to get a HDMI cable for it too

Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts
PSomebody gave you some terrible information....the slim actually is pretty hot looking...you can change the hard drive...the 60gb is the worst choice out of all the ps3s....get over bc dude if you're so crazy about ps2 games get a ps2 not a ps3, I know what it feels like though I mean you're like aww man I wanna play my old games and all that mess...everyones felt like that but once you get this console you'll be busy very quickly I'm pretty sure the only choices you have are hd and cnt abes
Avatar image for makavelithedon2
makavelithedon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 makavelithedon2
Member since 2006 • 264 Posts

gameguy6700

Get the Slim! My 60gb has cost me roughly £2,000 in maintenance costs. i currently have it in the garden in a special air conditioned box which i partly built myself (although not everyone will go to such extremes to protect their ps3s)

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
I would say get the slim. I actually have my launch 60GB still...3+ years. I have rarely used the BC. I havent had any maintenance issues either. This YLOD is not common at all...nothing like the failures on 360. The 60GB will overheat if you put it in an entertainment unit or something like that. If you keep it out in the open with at least a foot of room behind it and dust it once or twice a week, it will be fine. That said, there is no real reason to buy a used 60GB for a similar price to the slim model. The USB ports are rarely an issue either. 2 is enough. I have 4 and have never had more than 2 things actively plugged in at the same time. The PS3 has bluetooth, so you can actually use bluetooth keyboards on it instead of USB...or you can get the keypad that fits on the controller like I have.
fifamessi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fifamessi
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

thelastguy

hate when people ask me that lol, i do need 10000usb slots. i have 4 controllers that need recharging(as theres always 4 people playing fifa and one runs out), External HD is connected most of the time, the ps3 cooler takes another slot and so on. i hate having only 2 slots :(

kittyloaf69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 kittyloaf69
Member since 2009 • 1023 Posts
I've had my older version since launch in 2007. But I'd say get a slim, there's more HDD space, and I only use 2 USB slots at a time at most, so that really isn't an issue.
kittyloaf69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 kittyloaf69
Member since 2009 • 1023 Posts

[QUOTE="thelastguy"]

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

fifamessi

hate when people ask me that lol, i do need 10000usb slots. i have 4 controllers that need recharging(as theres always 4 people playing fifa and one runs out), External HD is connected most of the time, the ps3 cooler takes another slot and so on. i hate having only 2 slots :(

You should invest in one of those multiple controller chargers. I have one that plugs into a wall socket and it's awesome. Anytime a controller isn't being used or my PS3 is off, I just pop it into those.