The Value of Playstation Now...

Posted by demoneyes4 (33 posts) -

I haven’t been keeping up with the news on the PS4 or played it in a while. So today when I fired it up, and went to see what was new and free for the PS Plus members on the store, I was surprised to see a rental service called Playstation Now. I was intrigued, and my first thought was “hmm, maybe it’ll have some good old PS1 or PS2 games that I haven’t played in a long time. I should check this out!”

So, with all the anticipation of a kid opening their first gift at Christmas, I did check it out and I made a list of the games I might want to rent. After I couldn’t find anything, I decided to look up the games that I have played or might want to try again sometime in the future and put them on a list. Since the price on most games was set at from 2.99 I thought, “Ok, this could be reasonable.”

$2.99? Yeah I can try a new game for a couple days at that price.

Oh, how foolish my optimism was. When I saw the price model, a wave of nausea took over. I felt the heartbreak of a kid at Christmas who just wanted one small thing and didn’t get it. I didn’t understand how they came up with this strange price model and have pretty much ruined any chance they had for making this a good service. As I started delving deeper I kept thinking this couldn’t be right, it has to be an error. Unfortunately it was not, and the first game I came across was Dead Island Riptide.

You can rent Dead Island Riptide for 4 hours at a price of $3.99! Yes, that is one dollar for every fun filled hour you force yourself to play this gem. This was an impulse buy that I bought on the steam sale for $4.99 so that I could finish out the Dead Island series! That $5 gave me unlimited (though not worth it) time with this game for only one dollar more! I did some research and found that you can buy a brand new copy of this game for $19.99 at Gamestop, or you could rent it for 90 days for $24.99 off of the value packed Playstation Now service.

Yup, that guy hanging there, that is just how I felt.

Now, Dead Island Riptide isn’t a very good game and not one that most people would buy or rent (damn you steam sale!). So let’s move to a good game, Metal Gear Solid 4. Many people have played this excellent PS3 title, but if you haven’t, you can rent it from this great service for $3.99 for four hours. There are many other options too, like $7.99 for seven days, 12.99 for a month, or even 14.99 for three months. Or you could go to Gamestop and pick up a used copy for $6.99 and have it forever, $19.99 for a new copy.

I don’t understand who this service is supposed to be catering to. When I first saw that this was a rental service my imagination took over with thoughts of being able to rent new and good games at reasonable prices, and possibly PS1 and PS2 games sprinkled in. I can go to redbox and rent a brand new ps3 game for $2 for 24 hours. There is no need to even mention gamefly which is far superior in terms of value. What it seems that we have received was a few good games, a bunch of ok and bargain bin games that you are able to rent at bargain bin prices. So I have a question. Why would you use this service when you can go out and buy pretty much any of these games at cheaper prices?

#1 Posted by gamenerd15 (4478 posts) -

The service is still in beta. I am actually surprised that Sony had 100 games to test out for beta purposes. Sony is going to do put PS1 and 2 games on PS Now as well. The prices do need to be changed, a universal standard needs to be put into place. Games at varying prices is not a good business model. Sony did state that it is working on a subscription model.

As far as who this service caters to, this service seems to be for people who did not own previous PlayStation systems. The service will also be accessible through Sony brand TVs as well. In other words, you do not need a gaming console to use the service. The service does not seem like it is for people who have owned all the previous PlayStation platforms. I rented a game just to see how it would work. I rented Ninja Gaiden 2 for $8. The game ran fine for the most part. The only drawback is the interface switches back to PS3 mode when playing a PS Now game. I think you can still go to the PS4 menu, but that is a bit annoying though. I think the service is great, but some kinks need to be ironed out.

#2 Edited by demoneyes4 (33 posts) -

@gamenerd15: This just seems like a money grab on the part of Sony. If they ever get a subscription model, perhaps something like you can pick 5 games to rent for a month or unlimited games for a month at a reasonable price then I could see this as something worthwhile. Especially if they borrowed the model gamefly uses, 1-3 games out at a time and you can return one and get another. Until they do something better, I just don't see any real value in it.

#3 Posted by gamenerd15 (4478 posts) -

As I stated before, PS Now is not really for those who owned all the previous PlayStation systems. It is more for those who do not have a console or missed out on previous console generation. It is not really a cash crab. If Sony put physical hardware backwards compatibility in the PS4, then the system would have cost a bit more. If Sony adjusts PS Now to two or three games for $20 a month, then that will be fair.

#4 Posted by Notorious1234NA (1572 posts) -

@gamenerd15: SONY isn't dumb, they need money now and updates like these are the best ways to generate quick cash from the early adopters.

Prices are %100 BS and reeks cash grab.

#5 Posted by gamenerd15 (4478 posts) -

If you want to hate the service, then hate it. No one is forcing you to anything that you do not want to do. Yes, the prices need work, but there is still value in the service. You do not have to wait until the games arrives at your house. You do not have to conserve memory on your hard drive. You do not have to wait until the game finishes installing. The convenience is definitely tied into the price of the games. You are most likely like me and have owned all the previous generations of PlayStation and so therefore, the value is not as good for people like us. For someone who does not own a PlayStation of any kind or who missed out on generation, then the service has a lot more value.

#6 Posted by Jaysonguy (38210 posts) -

I like how idiots talk about it when they know nothing about it

The publishers themselves set the prices, not Sony.

Now all but one poster in this thread, take that small dose of education and find another arguing point.

#7 Posted by demoneyes4 (33 posts) -

I don't hate the service, I said I was actually excited for a streaming rental service in my initial post. I think the prices are insanely high, 2.99- 4.99 for four hours is downright insulting. I get what you are saying about people not having past generations of systems so they can't play the original disks, but there is no way that someone can look at these prices and feel like they are getting a bargain. I am not going to pay to play a game for only four hours, 5 dollars for 5 days, is a price I can see working, like the old video rental stores of yore. I can see this being something in the future but there is no way at the present price points that this is anything other than a blatant cash grab to fill up their coffers.

#8 Edited by demoneyes4 (33 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: And I like how idiots come into a perfectly civil conversation and start flinging insults. Why should I find another arguing point? The pricing, as well as a library of mostly sub par games, is what I have issue with. You are unable to defend the fact that the current price model is garbage and all your so called education is, is saying that a third party sets the price instead of Sony. How does that prove any sort of point? I am very much aware that the publishers set the pricing. You seem to be implying that Sony is unable to do anything to change the pricing on their service that is being blasted universally. If you think that Sony can do nothing to set fixed price points or come up with some other price variants on their service, you may be the one who needs more than a small dose of education.

#9 Posted by Jaysonguy (38210 posts) -

@demoneyes4 said:

@Jaysonguy: And I like how idiots come into a perfectly civil conversation and start flinging insults. Why should I find another arguing point? The pricing, as well as a library of mostly sub par games, is what I have issue with. You are unable to defend the fact that the current price model is garbage and all your so called education is, is saying that a third party sets the price instead of Sony? How does that prove any sort of point? I am very much aware that the publishers set the pricing. You seem to be implying that Sony is unable to do anything to change the pricing on their service that is being blasted universally. If you think that Sony can do nothing to set fixed price points or come up with some other price variants on their service, you may be the one who needs more than a small dose of education.

Well now you've gone and made sure that no one is going to take you seriously.

First of all you didn't know that publishers set the pricing because you said that it's a money grab by Sony. Now either you have a problem conveying to people what you actually mean or you have a problem where you forget things you say a day earlier. Either way look into that.

Secondly you think that Sony can tell publishers what prices to charge? That right there shows you're clueless, Sony would instantly burn so many bridges with publishers if they told them to knock down the prices. PS Now is going to work like all other stores, if publishers aren't getting the numbers they want they'll lower the price. Nothing about that involves Sony.

The mere fact you bring up Steam shows you really don't know how to approach this conversation correctly.

Lastly don't give me this crap about "well I was having a civil discussion". You ripped a company and said they were gouging it's customers. So don't act like you're trying to have a nice talk after the garbage you spewed in your opening post.

You were wrong, own it, and next time do some research.

#10 Edited by demoneyes4 (33 posts) -

So no one is going to take me seriously because I pointed out how bad the price model is? Well if that's the case then there are a lot of better writers than I that will not be taken seriously. Your only point is that I did not initially know or care that Sony didn't set the prices themselves. Well, I am going to let you know why I didn't know or care, because it didn't matter to my initial point. My point of this whole thing was, you can buy the games cheaper than renting them from this service. Also, just so you know, my reference to buying a game for a dollar more on Steam than I could rent it for four hours is there because it supports the whole, you can get games cheaper elsewhere point. So I think you may be the one who doesn't know how to approach this conversation. I don't care if Sony, Activision, LJN, Nintendo or any number of other developers and publishers get the money, I care that they are charging too much. This service is incredibly overpriced and could be something in the future but as it is now is a rip off. So now that we are back on topic and you have to try and actually defend against my original point let's see what you come up with. See, civil conversation.

#11 Edited by WolfgarTheQuiet (478 posts) -

I don't need this service ever...Why, well i own

PS1-PS2-PS3-PS4 and getting another chipped PS2.

Fat PS3 plays PS1 and PS2 games, later model ( dont know about Slim PS3) plays PS1 games only. Rumor that PS4 will get support for PS1 and PS2 disc games.

#13 Posted by Notorious1234NA (1572 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: bark bark bark bark

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/assassins_creed_4_black_flag/news/ubisoft_explains_how_digital_prices_are_set_on_playstation_store_and_xbox_games_store.html

#15 Posted by gamenerd15 (4478 posts) -

@demoneyes4:

@demoneyes4 said:

I don't hate the service, I said I was actually excited for a streaming rental service in my initial post. I think the prices are insanely high, 2.99- 4.99 for four hours is downright insulting. I get what you are saying about people not having past generations of systems so they can't play the original disks, but there is no way that someone can look at these prices and feel like they are getting a bargain. I am not going to pay to play a game for only four hours, 5 dollars for 5 days, is a price I can see working, like the old video rental stores of yore. I can see this being something in the future but there is no way at the present price points that this is anything other than a blatant cash grab to fill up their coffers.

I did not leave Sony unscathed. I am hoping for the subscription model to at least be $20 for two games out at a time. They should replace the four hour option with a 24 hour option for a dollar. Sony should replace the 3 month option with just buying the game to use as much you want for $10. Every game that PS Plus users have gotten for free since the date they signed up should carry over to PS Now free of charge.

#16 Edited by ewalthour (832 posts) -

@demoneyes4: the question is why woukd anyone be dumb enough to rent these games for the price and the fact it's a beta and the fact there are better places to rent or buy these games?So Sony thinks we are so stupid to test out the price also vs being a free beta. They hope we like the price or they would never set these rates in the first place.

What I can't understand is why people defend Sony by saying this is a good service. It could be potentially if the price were fair. You cant call this good until their is reasonable prices or better yet a subscription service and you can play as long as you want. Its not like you are getting a copy to rent in the mail where u are taking away from someone else renting you are sharing a server. You should have games to rent as long as you want and have a set price I of $20 a month or less. Matter fact buoy should have a type of price like Psn+ where 3 months $10, 6 months $20 or 1 yr $30. You would get far more people to sign up and be more profitable. Unfortunately I think their are aalot of people stupid enough to give Sony whatever they want readable price or not.

#17 Posted by MondasM (1393 posts) -

it is a good value if you are playing from your sony tv set (w/o ps4 or ps3 or ps tv) and have never owned any consoles... :)

#18 Edited by Jimmy_Russell (1002 posts) -

I haven't bought a PS4 yet, I've been playing GTA5 quite a bit and I can't think of a game I want to play enough to justify a console purchase. Lately, the news I've been reading about Sony's new pricing model has me worried. I don't think I'm going to spend the money on the console, I might just upgrade my computer instead, because Steam offers a much better value to its customers than the Playstation Now service possibly can.