The Sharpshooter Appreciation Thread w. Calibration Tips

This topic is locked from further discussion.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I wanted to create a thread dedicated to my favorite new video game peripheral: The Playstation 3 Sharpshooter. Here you can post your impressions, recommended improvements, Killzone 3 calibration settings, or anything related to the Sharpshooter.

I've tried Killzone 3 with theDual Shock 3 controller for comparison, and I've never experienced better accuracy in a console FPS than I have using the Sharpshooter. However there isa learning curve for previously simple commands like jumping, melee kills, and healing downed players, but the benefits to accuracy far outweigh the negatives in my opinion. I've never had so many headshots before, and firing from the hip feels natural and more accurate than ever. However, expect that the Sharpshooter will take a bit of getting used to... no more than an hour or so. Now that I'm used to it, conventional controls feel limited by comparison, and it's great when you nail a Helghast in singleplayer and Rico says, "That was some sharp shooting."

To start things off, here's the settings I use for Killzone 3 after numerous attempts at finding the perfect balance of speed and control. (Personal preferences may vary.)

• Vertical and Horizontal deadzones = 0
  • Cursor sensativity = 30
  • Turning Speed = 40
  • Targeting Assistance = Off
  • Zoom = Hold
  • Crouch = Toggle

Having toyed around with it extensively with Killzone 3, I found that the best way to calibrate it is NOT toaim at the targets directly (so that the Move's sphere obscures your calibration targets), but slightly below them. Also, rest your cheek on the stock as if you were actually looking down the scope of a gun.Then you want to position the ISA or PS Eye so that the center of the image is where you want your iron-sight crosshairs to appear. This results in the virtual iron sight appearing ON the sharpshooter virtually where it would if the sights were on the sharpshooter itself. Here's an illustration detailing my calibration suggestion for the most immersive in-game experience.

Calibration Image for Sharpshooter

ALSO: when running and gunning, hold the stock to your shoulder with your head held normally, but when you are in zoomed in mode (and when calibrating), put your cheek down on the Sharpshooter's stock as if you were a sniper. Your accuracy will improve, and hey... it's fun!

EDIT: I saw on the Killzone 3 official forum that several people are having problems with calibration. Apparently, a lot of players are noticing that after calibrating, the reticle appears too far to the right. A lot of people will tell you to disable the magnetometer in the Accessories settings on the XMB, but honestly, this seems unnecessary. If, after calibration, your cursor appears a bit too far to the right, just re-calibrate. Instead of aiming just below the PS Eye, aim below and slightly to the right (About as far to the right as the reticle was off after your previous, unsuccsessful calibration.) Then do the ISA targets normally, and you should see a nice reticle appearing right above the Sharpshooter, as it is in the above illustration.

TGov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TGov
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Thanks for this! I played around a bit last night with mine but I was having a hard time getting used to it. I will try out your techniques tonight. I wasn't aware you could play Killzone 2 with the sharpshooter.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
Thanks for this! I played around a bit last night with mine but I was having a hard time getting used to it. I will try out your techniques tonight. I wasn't aware you could play Killzone 2 with the sharpshooter.TGov
You cant, there has been no move update for the game.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 donalbane

Thanks for this! I played around a bit last night with mine but I was having a hard time getting used to it. I will try out your techniques tonight. I wasn't aware you could play Killzone 2 with the sharpshooter.TGov
You can't play Killzone 2 with the Sharpshooter. I mentioned Killzone 2 when I was talking about comparing how it plays with the Dual Shock 3 to the superior experience you can get in Killzone 3 with the Sharpshooter. I guess I should have been more clear. I'll edit the original post.

TGov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TGov
I used your settings last night and they worked very well. My main problem with the Sharpshooter at this point is that I tend to tense up when I am playing the game and I find myself pulling back on the nav controller unintentionally and reloading in the middle of a big firefight. It does make your arms really tired as well, but that isn't a bad thing ;) I find that aiming is greatly improved for me, but navigating around without becoming too disoriented is a challenge, but that will get better with more use. So far I only have about 2 hours in on it.
badlalo59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 badlalo59
Member since 2007 • 901 Posts

Woot* +1 rep to you sir for starting this thread. Don't have one yet but I know I can come back here and get some ideas when the time comes. Thx again!

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
For those of you who have it, does your's make an odd buzzing noise when it vibrates? I think I might need to exchange mine....
TGov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TGov
Ya it does. I think it is the move controller buzzing against the plastic. You might try putting some padding or a paper towel in there to firm it up. I was going to try something like that tonight with mine.
gamerfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gamerfan85
Member since 2009 • 652 Posts

Sweet. Thanks for this. I've been using my sharpshooter with different settings but I'm going to try yours to see if I can get a tighter experience.

How do you guys like it? I love it personally. I'm definitely using it on every FPS I can!

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 donalbane

For those of you who have it, does your's make an odd buzzing noise when it vibrates? I think I might need to exchange mine....nightshade869
I may try the paper towell idea. Buzzing isn't a problem too much, but it would be nice to try to eliminate it alltogether. May make the rumble better too.

And regarding cramping, I lean forward and rest my elbows while sitting on the couch, which helps. Also, I take a break every hour or two, which is probably a good idea anyway.

On the Killzone forums I found this video, which is really neat if you want to know more about what the various calibration settings do.

LINK

badlalo59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 badlalo59
Member since 2007 • 901 Posts

Thx for the Link...I also saw a Youtube video of someone recommending vibration turned off as it makes the redicule much tighter. Sorry I can't find the link though.

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
thanks this worked for me. The only thing is my left arm gets tired holding that sharpshooter up the entire time I play. I can only do a chapter at a time before my arm goes numb
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 donalbane
If your reticle appears a bit to the right after calibrating (a common issue, apparently), check the bottom of the original post in this thread. I updated it with a tip that will help you compensate.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 donalbane
[QUOTE="gamerfan85"]

Sweet. Thanks for this. I've been using my sharpshooter with different settings but I'm going to try yours to see if I can get a tighter experience.

How do you guys like it? I love it personally. I'm definitely using it on every FPS I can!

Yeah I can't wait to try Socom 4, but I understand the implementation of the Sharphooter isn't as solid as it is for Killzone 3. Check out the Socom 4 video at iwaggle.com if you want to see what I mean. Still, I'm so getting Socom now... a title I had no interest in until I tried the Sharpshooter.
BonoBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BonoBoy
Member since 2002 • 587 Posts
Thanks for this...really decent of you to take the time to share with the community!!!
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="gamerfan85"]

Yeah I can't wait to try Socom 4, but I understand the implementation of the Sharphooter isn't as solid as it is for Killzone 3. Check out the Socom 4 video at iwaggle.com if you want to see what I mean. Still, I'm so getting Socom now... a title I had no interest in until I tried the Sharpshooter.

Are you referring to the implementation of the Sharpshooter or the Move. I wasn't able to find a video about the Sharpshooter with Socom and the only video I found was from a Work In Progress build from October 2010.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 donalbane
[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"][QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="gamerfan85"]

Are you referring to the implementation of the Sharpshooter or the Move. I wasn't able to find a video about the Sharpshooter with Socom and the only video I found was from a Work In Progress build from October 2010.

I was referring to just the Move, but that will effect the Sharpshooter experience as well. It seems that when you zoom in with Socom, it doesn't zoom in to the point that your cursor was aimed at prior to the zoom. Killzone 3 handles this beautifully, but it seems Socom's team didn't put as much time into the Move implentation.
Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Renzokucant
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts
What's the magnometer do?
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 donalbane
What's the magnometer do?Renzokucant
Hell if I know... but when you are calibrating the Move in the Accessories section of the XMB, it says if you have problems, to hit TRIANGLE to turn off the magnetometer. If you do this, the drifting only gets worse. I think Killzone 3 will get a patch (as Time Crisis did) to correct the cursor drift issue, which seems to have gotten worse for me over time. (Was this due to an update?)
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Rick_14
[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"][QUOTE="donalbane"] Yeah I can't wait to try Socom 4, but I understand the implementation of the Sharphooter isn't as solid as it is for Killzone 3. Check out the Socom 4 video at iwaggle.com if you want to see what I mean. Still, I'm so getting Socom now... a title I had no interest in until I tried the Sharpshooter.donalbane

I was referring to just the Move, but that will effect the Sharpshooter experience as well. It seems that when you zoom in with Socom, it doesn't zoom in to the point that your cursor was aimed at prior to the zoom. Killzone 3 handles this beautifully, but it seems Socom's team didn't put as much time into the Move implentation.

Yes I did see that video. It was from a Work In Progress build from back in October, so they have had plenty of time to correct that since. That being said, it is a challenge due to the Over The Shoulder view they've decided to use. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't knock the implementation by judging a build 6 months before release. Once the beta is live, hopefully it will have Move support and if it's still a problem there, then I'd start to be worried. I remember on the PS Blog they stated in the comments that SOCOM 4 would have the bounding box adjustment that Killzone 3 has and that wasn't in the October build.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_Rick_14
[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]What's the magnometer do?donalbane
Hell if I know... but when you are calibrating the Move in the Accessories section of the XMB, it says if you have problems, to hit TRIANGLE to turn off the magnetometer. If you do this, the drifting only gets worse. I think Killzone 3 will get a patch (as Time Crisis did) to correct the cursor drift issue, which seems to have gotten worse for me over time. (Was this due to an update?)

An internal magnetometer is also used for calibrating the controller's orientation against the Earth's magnetic field to help correct against cumulative error (drift) by the inertial sensors.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 donalbane
[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="The_Rick_14"] Are you referring to the implementation of the Sharpshooter or the Move. I wasn't able to find a video about the Sharpshooter with Socom and the only video I found was from a Work In Progress build from October 2010. The_Rick_14

Yes I did see that video. It was from a Work In Progress build from back in October, so they have had plenty of time to correct that since. That being said, it is a challenge due to the Over The Shoulder view they've decided to use. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't knock the implementation by judging a build 6 months before release. Once the beta is live, hopefully it will have Move support and if it's still a problem there, then I'd start to be worried. I remember on the PS Blog they stated in the comments that SOCOM 4 would have the bounding box adjustment that Killzone 3 has and that wasn't in the October build.

Well I sure hope they fixed it. Kudos for your magnetometer info... that's cool.
Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Renzokucant
Yea I notice that ill calibrate and over time its like my center that I calibrated to isn't the same anymore...
gamerfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamerfan85

[QUOTE="gamerfan85"]

donalbane

Agreed. The Sharpshooter definitely makes me want SOCOM.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 donalbane
Yea I notice that ill calibrate and over time its like my center that I calibrated to isn't the same anymore... Renzokucant
Apparently it's something that can be fixed in a patch. Here's hoping the fix it soon. I want to play through campaign on Elite difficulty without a reticle, and that would be tough with the drifting.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
thanks this really helped. playing with ting does make my arms tired though
Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Renzokucant
[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]Yea I notice that ill calibrate and over time its like my center that I calibrated to isn't the same anymore... donalbane
Apparently it's something that can be fixed in a patch. Here's hoping the fix it soon. I want to play through campaign on Elite difficulty without a reticle, and that would be tough with the drifting.

ohhh snap, i forgot no reticle was even an option, thats gonna be nuts
ClevBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 ClevBeast
Member since 2009 • 269 Posts

This thread should have an award for most useful thread. Thanks fella, good work

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 donalbane
I wrote sony and complained that the reticle drifts to the right after a while. They said they would pass it on.
Cyb0rg360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cyb0rg360
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts

I just realized I still haven't figured out how to jump with the Sharpshooter. . . . :|

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Rick_14

I just realized I still haven't figured out how to jump with the Sharpshooter. . . . :|

Cyb0rg360
Jump gets remapped to square which is on the side of gun.
Cyb0rg360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cyb0rg360
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts
[QUOTE="Cyb0rg360"]

The_Rick_14
Jump gets remapped to square which is on the side of gun.

Really? I swear I've hit it and reloaded. Guess I should start it up and try it out! Thanks, man! :)
Swavo69420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Swavo69420
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts
Will do when I get home... Picked up the sharpshooter and move last night... Played alittle botzone, it's alittle tricky and definately need to assign crouch as toggle for better accuracy...
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 donalbane
Also, if you want to change zoom to ADAPTIVE, that works OK too... click it and it's TOGGLE, or hold it for the HOLD settings. Should make prolonged zooming a little easier, but I still just use HOLD for zoom.
DG-FKR13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 DG-FKR13
Member since 2010 • 328 Posts

I also changed my settings for crouching to toggle. That relieves a lot of fatigue on my right hand.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
I was interested until I saw the price of that piece of plastic. Perhaps when there are more than 2 games. Or some kind of bundle.
gamerfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamerfan85

I've been hearing that you can turn off the on screen reticle to significantly increase difficulty with the Sharpshooter. Anybody tried that?

I haven't yet, but once I get through this SP campaign again I'm gonna try it out.

xdeevex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xdeevex
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I just got the Sharpshooter last night. Obviously, I'm not very good at it yet, but I'm already in love with it. This is definitely THEE way to play FPS games. I can already tell that once I get the hang of it, I won't wanna play another FPS game with a regular controller again. Thanks for the calibration tips too. Saved me a whole bunch of time and frustration!
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 donalbane
Thought I'd give this thread a little bit of a bump considering Resistance 3 just came out. Resistance 3 has some major problems with the Sharpshooter at present, so if you bought the big bundle, just know that Resistance 3 will most likely get a patch that makes it as much fun to play as Killzone 3. So if you have a new Sharpshooter, don't judge it until you've played Killzone 3. I emailed a technical support request to Insomniac that they fix the mandatory huge-ass deadzone when zooming in Resistance 3 (as well as some other issues). Here's hoping they patch the game soon.