The RPG Lounge [OT Approved] UPDATE ON LAST PAGE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#601 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -
[QUOTE="roboccs"]Hey I forgot about this thread. I'm really glad to hear Xillia turned out good. For the most part, I've read a lot of positive and very little negative about it. Once I get done with some other games that I'm working on I'll hopefully grab either or both of Graces F and Xillia. There's nothing like a good deep jrpg experience. What's good about Xillia? Is the story good? THat's what usually keeps me in an rpg for the long haul. I like cliched jrpg melodrama :P

Story is better compared to other Tales games. It's kind of slow in the beginning, but gets significantly better as you go along. The battle system on it is fantastic though, if you compare it to graces f, you are comparing apples to oranges. Either you like em both, or you prefer one or the other.
#602 Posted by Young_Charter (19973 posts) -
Payday 2 has a lot of RPG mechanics. :DMethodManFTW
@MethodmanFTW express your experience.
#603 Posted by roboccs (7400 posts) -
[QUOTE="roboccs"]Hey I forgot about this thread. I'm really glad to hear Xillia turned out good. For the most part, I've read a lot of positive and very little negative about it. Once I get done with some other games that I'm working on I'll hopefully grab either or both of Graces F and Xillia. There's nothing like a good deep jrpg experience. What's good about Xillia? Is the story good? THat's what usually keeps me in an rpg for the long haul. I like cliched jrpg melodrama :Pbbkkristian
Story is better compared to other Tales games. It's kind of slow in the beginning, but gets significantly better as you go along. The battle system on it is fantastic though, if you compare it to graces f, you are comparing apples to oranges. Either you like em both, or you prefer one or the other.

I am a huge fan of the Tales franchise. For some reason, Graces F didn't excite me enough to go out and try the game. I played a Japanese demo but it's kind of hard to tell from only playing that. If I were to get one, it'll probably be Xillia, it looks more on par with Symphonia and Abyss even though I know the battle system is a bit different. Symphonia is one of my favorite games of all time and I thought Abyss was decent even though the story dragged on a bit further than it needed to. I don't have an Xbox so I will likely never get to play Vesperia which is a shame... a lot of people say that game is one of the best in the series... :(
#604 Posted by archvile_78 (8384 posts) -

Xillia's amazing as expected. I'm halfway in my 2nd playthrough.

#605 Posted by MethodManFTW (26067 posts) -
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]Payday 2 has a lot of RPG mechanics. :DYoung_Charter

lots of loot, leveling up, different ways to face encounters, long skills trees you can mix and match with.
#606 Posted by Young_Charter (19973 posts) -
[QUOTE="Young_Charter"][QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]Payday 2 has a lot of RPG mechanics. :DMethodManFTW

lots of loot, leveling up, different ways to face encounters, long skills trees you can mix and match with.

Do you have it for PC or PS3 ?
#607 Posted by Texas2089 (16475 posts) -
[QUOTE="Young_Charter"][QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="Young_Charter"] @MethodmanFTW express your experience.

Lol do you even need to ask?
#608 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

Still early on in Tales of Xillia (just completed my first hunt) but I've been playing some Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages which has some RPG elements right? :p

#609 Posted by Hakumen21 (359 posts) -

Tales of Xillia feels a little dull somehow.

Items are scattered just about everywhere. Chests have no sense of reward.

The link system makes the game way too easy, overall. Also that colored line/thread kills the game's feela nd clutters the screen for me. Irarely have to use the guard button. i just mash attack and Artes keys, and sometimes R2.

All the maps feel generic. The towns dont stimulate as much 'life' or vibrancy as other Tales games like Abyss or vesperia.

The story is really stupid, imo.

A random nursing student just decides to just randomly follow a

*SPOILER*

... demi-goddess to save the world.

*SPOILER*

The characters are difficult to 'connect' with from my experiebnce. I'm about 22 hours in, and I feel like I'm just playing it to beat the game now.

The battle system is still fun though,. and the grid level system is also great. 
I'd love for it to be in future Tales games.

#610 Posted by insanegame377 (392 posts) -

Just finished the first chapter of Xillia, but I'm really enjoying it at the moment. I much prefer the battle system than the one in Graces F, the story is interesting and most characters are quite interesting and likeable. My only problems with it so far are that the boss battles are a bit too easy (Though this may be due to over-levelling) and the game world seems extremely small in comparison to other Tales games.

#611 Posted by roboccs (7400 posts) -

Still early on in Tales of Xillia (just completed my first hunt) but I've been playing some Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages which has some RPG elements right? :p

whiskeystrike
Yup... I mean the Zelda series is the greatest RPG franchise of all time right? :P @hakumen... Your gripes are what make me hesitate to get the game right away. That's what most JRPGs have become. I'm still optimistic though. Either way, I'm not jumping into anything new til I finish Xenoblade... The game is just amazing!
#612 Posted by The_Last_Ride (74436 posts) -
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]Kind of a stupid question, but when you play Dragon Age: Origins Awakening do you get an achievment for saving Vigil Keep?Young_Charter
What kind of achievement ? Like a Trophy ?

Yeah, i don't know if i am completely overlooking something, but i just wanted to know if there is one
#613 Posted by Young_Charter (19973 posts) -
[QUOTE="Texas2089"][QUOTE="Young_Charter"][QUOTE="MethodManFTW"] lots of loot, leveling up, different ways to face encounters, long skills trees you can mix and match with.

Lol do you even need to ask?

lol forget I asked :P
#614 Posted by monstar85 (48 posts) -

hey

just came across this thread, recently just got back into playing jprgs with a play through of ni nino kuni which i thought was brilliant. just completed xcom enemey unknown which i found to be a excellent game not a rpg i know. kinda wondering which rpg to get into next?? heard a lot of good talk of persona 4 golden but thats on the vita :(

#615 Posted by Young_Charter (19973 posts) -

hey

just came across this thread, recently just got back into playing jprgs with a play through of ni nino kuni which i thought was brilliant. just completed xcom enemey unknown which i found to be a excellent game not a rpg i know. kinda wondering which rpg to get into next?? heard a lot of good talk of persona 4 golden but thats on the vita :(

monstar85
Then you should download Persona 3 off of PSN. Its a digital PS2 download bro. Texas keeps telling me I should get it but to be honest I've been slacking :lol: I recommend you to watch a few reviews off of gamespot and get yourself familiar with it. It won't hurt not that it should :P
#616 Posted by Young_Charter (19973 posts) -
TGS ?
#618 Posted by roboccs (7400 posts) -
I was hoping for more info on FFXV at TGS... but I think all we got was a trailer that looked pretty much like the one from E3. Game still looks damn beautiful. I'm also dying for more info on Monolith's X on WiiU... That is now my #1 most anticipated game. If it's half as good as Xenoblade for Wii then I will be 1 happy gamer.
#619 Posted by The_Last_Ride (74436 posts) -
Release date for FFX HD, that has to happen like now!
#620 Posted by Young_Charter (19973 posts) -
[QUOTE="roboccs"]I was hoping for more info on FFXV at TGS... but I think all we got was a trailer that looked pretty much like the one from E3. Game still looks damn beautiful. I'm also dying for more info on Monolith's X on WiiU... That is now my #1 most anticipated game. If it's half as good as Xenoblade for Wii then I will be 1 happy gamer.

I really wish they didn't do that.. . I might just have to get a Wii U for a few Exclusives
Release date for FFX HD, that has to happen like now!The_Last_Ride
Talk about bad timing with that and KH HD tho. . . I have to admit I will be getting them soon. I played FFVII the other day and got suck on it until I reached Nibelheim and got Vincent.
#621 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

Recently picked up Kingdom Hearts 1.5 for the PS3. No idea when I'll get to it but Kingdom Hearts is always a blast for me.

#622 Posted by xGamePlayerx19 (378 posts) -

Recently picked up Kingdom Hearts 1.5 for the PS3. No idea when I'll get to it but Kingdom Hearts is always a blast for me.

whiskeystrike

Same here, excited for when I do get around to it, such a good series.

#623 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

xGamePlayerx19

Hey man where you been?

Add me to the PS3 :D

#624 Posted by ristactionjakso (6115 posts) -

All I have to say Ni No Kuni is the best rpg on the ps3 (or of the gen for that matter) 

#625 Posted by xGamePlayerx19 (378 posts) -

[QUOTE="xGamePlayerx19"]

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

whiskeystrike

Hey man where you been?

Add me to the PS3 :D

Alright for sure! Will do the next time I get on.

#626 Posted by xGamePlayerx19 (378 posts) -

All I have to say Ni No Kuni is the best rpg on the ps3 (or of the gen for that matter)

ristactionjakso

I've been interested in this game since it released but just haven't gotten around to it. Can't wait till I do though, probably in the coming months once I kill some of my backlog more. Looks like an extremely well made game.

#627 Posted by Terrencec06 (3643 posts) -

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

xGamePlayerx19

I've been interested in this game since it released but just haven't gotten around to it. Can't wait till I do though, probably in the coming months once I kill some of my backlog more. Looks like an extremely well made game.

Yeah I'll be picking it up soon. It's only $20.

#628 Posted by ristactionjakso (6115 posts) -

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

xGamePlayerx19

It's a must have for ps3 rgp gamers. It's a steal for $20. Mr. Drippy makes the game, he's awesome. I bought it for $60 and dont regret it one bit.

#629 Posted by roboccs (7400 posts) -

whiskeystrike
That's one I'm tempted to get. I have KH for PS2 but never finished it. It would be easier to have on PS3 so I wouldbn't have to hook up my PS2 again.
#630 Posted by xGamePlayerx19 (378 posts) -

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

roboccs

That's one I'm tempted to get. I have KH for PS2 but never finished it. It would be easier to have on PS3 so I wouldbn't have to hook up my PS2 again.

Oh man you're missing out! I'd say go for it. Plus there's trophy support and it's just a great game and series to jump into as well.

#631 Posted by The_Last_Ride (74436 posts) -
[QUOTE="Young_Charter"][QUOTE="roboccs"]I was hoping for more info on FFXV at TGS... but I think all we got was a trailer that looked pretty much like the one from E3. Game still looks damn beautiful. I'm also dying for more info on Monolith's X on WiiU... That is now my #1 most anticipated game. If it's half as good as Xenoblade for Wii then I will be 1 happy gamer.

I really wish they didn't do that.. . I might just have to get a Wii U for a few Exclusives
Release date for FFX HD, that has to happen like now!The_Last_Ride
Talk about bad timing with that and KH HD tho. . . I have to admit I will be getting them soon. I played FFVII the other day and got suck on it until I reached Nibelheim and got Vincent.

I really want them to tell me the freaking date and take my money
#632 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1390 posts) -

ristactionjakso

I just got that game today. I like it so far. Especially the art style and graphics.

#633 Posted by roboccs (7400 posts) -
[QUOTE="xGamePlayerx19"]

[QUOTE="roboccs"][QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

Oh man you're missing out! I'd say go for it. Plus there's trophy support and it's just a great game and series to jump into as well.

Yeah I know. I really liked what I played of it and I was getting to a part in the story where it was really picking up. I don't know why I stopped to be honest. I'm guessing another game came out that stole my attention away... I have gamer A.D.D. sometimes. If anything I will try to get into the PS2 version again since I have it. I am a sucker for an emotional story and the japanese melodrama in a jrpg :lol:
#634 Posted by rtechie (87 posts) -
Overall, I've been pretty disappointed at the RPG selection for the PS3. It seems that the 360 actually has more RPGs, even JPRGs. And JRPG releases were really sparse this generation, only a handful really. FFXIII, the biggest JRPG this generation, was unbelievably terrible, the worst game I've ever played by a major studio. It looks like most JRPG development has moved to the Nintendo DS / 3DS. I think I'm going to purchase Persona 3 FES off of PSN again and play through that. That's a big indictment of the state of PS3 RPGs.
#635 Posted by roboccs (7400 posts) -
Overall, I've been pretty disappointed at the RPG selection for the PS3. It seems that the 360 actually has more RPGs, even JPRGs. And JRPG releases were really sparse this generation, only a handful really. FFXIII, the biggest JRPG this generation, was unbelievably terrible, the worst game I've ever played by a major studio. It looks like most JRPG development has moved to the Nintendo DS / 3DS. I think I'm going to purchase Persona 3 FES off of PSN again and play through that. That's a big indictment of the state of PS3 RPGs. rtechie
Get a Wii, get Xenoblade Chronicles, problem solved! :P
#636 Posted by Young_Charter (19973 posts) -

So what's new guys ?

#637 Posted by roboccs (7400 posts) -

@Young_Charter: hey there, it's been awhile since I've posted on this thread. Playing any RPGs lately? I've been sucked into Arc Rise Fantasia for Wii... It got panned by critics but it's great if you're into traditional clichéd grinds poorly localized JRPGs

#638 Posted by Young_Charter (19973 posts) -

Tbh I've been trapped on GTA grinding :lol: but the Wii is pretty cheap now and if the Wii-U is not backwords I think it would be beneficial to get one since they've had pretty good RPGs on there.

#639 Posted by roboccs (7400 posts) -

@Young_Charter: The WiiU is totally backwards compatible. Now you can even play wii games on the gamepad. You need controllers to play on the gamepad but it still nice. I love mine.

#640 Posted by Young_Charter (19973 posts) -

@roboccs said:

@Young_Charter: The WiiU is totally backwards compatible. Now you can even play wii games on the gamepad. You need controllers to play on the gamepad but it still nice. I love mine.

Man... That's the only thing that annoyed me with the Wii. . . That controller lol

#641 Edited by roboccs (7400 posts) -

@Young_Charter: yeah, I didn't mind the controller/nunchuck combo. Also, the classic controller is comparable to any other controller out there. Most RPGs allowed use of it. Xenoblade, Arc Rise, and Last Story are all examples. It's a nice console overall.

#642 Posted by Articuno76 (19066 posts) -

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Flash (Sen no Kiseki) has received its 1.02 patch. The game has been destroyed on critical rankings and been met with a large amount of hostility for having incredibly long (and frequent) load times; at launch the game would take up to 30 seconds just to open a door.

The 1.01 patch back in October cut the load times in the Vita version down by around half (bringing it in line with the PS3 version).

Now that patch 1.02 is up many load times have been flat out removed (cut scenes now string together relatively smoothly) and load times between areas take around 4-10 seconds.

It isn't 'fast' by any means. The loading ranges from feeling 'average' to feeling 'a tad long-ish', but it is eminently playable, especially in comparison to the state it was launched in.

I have finally decided to boot the game up (almost 1 1/2 months after release) to start playing it.

#643 Posted by Young_Charter (19973 posts) -

By the way guys. Kingdoms of Amular was free for PSN+ last month and Dragons Dogma is this month. I recommend you guys to register for PSN+

#644 Posted by Sokol4ever (6337 posts) -

I can't wait for next gen. RPG's. In particular the Witcher 3 :)

#645 Edited by Young_Charter (19973 posts) -

@Sokol4ever said:

If they don't deliver all three I won't play them until I touch one and two.

#646 Posted by Sokol4ever (6337 posts) -

@Young_Charter said:

@Sokol4ever said:

That's a valid point, I played about 30 hours of the original game and my current PC is having serious difficulty playing the second game, it's sad to be honest. I really do enjoy the atmosphere and story of the Witcher series. Hopefully, one day we see those two games on PlayStation platform. ;)

#647 Posted by Young_Charter (19973 posts) -

@Sokol4ever said:

@Young_Charter said:

@Sokol4ever said:

That's a valid point, I played about 30 hours of the original game and my current PC is having serious difficulty playing the second game, it's sad to be honest. I really do enjoy the atmosphere and story of the Witcher series. Hopefully, one day we see those two games on PlayStation platform. ;)

EXACTLY I mean they decided to put the Witcher 2 on the 360 but not he PS3 but they want 3 to go on the PS4. . . I mean excuse my French, but what stupid shit is that ???

#648 Posted by roboccs (7400 posts) -

Hey guys, I've sold a few games on glyde and once I sell one more l'll have enough for a decent game. I deciding between Tales of Xillia, Graces F, or Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD... The leader right now is Xillia but KH is tempting too... For some reason I'm not as interested in Graces F... Am I making a mistake here? Did Xillia end up being as good as advertised?

#649 Posted by roboccs (7400 posts) -

Yay!! New Tales game announcement!!