the psp could have been a awsome video player if it had this...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts

When i first got my psp and popped in the umd demo i was amazed at the large screen and how high quality it was, couldn't wait to put some of my own videos on it.  but thats where experience turns bad.

1.There is no hard drve -_- turns out the biggest i could get at the time was a 1G stick at some outrageous price.  Honestly they advertised the psp as a multy media device and give it a nice big screen but dont put a HD in and make rip u off with the sticks  I got a 1G on ebay for cheap but still i couldn't even store one anime series on it even with the quality turned down.

2.Multiple video codec support /higher video resolution support.  MP4 is nice but having to convert is a pain in the ass not so bad for one but when u wwant to convert 25 50 or even 100 video files thats where the problem lies and having to lower my video to a lower resolution means i cant just delete the originals or else i'm left with lower quality video.

3. no TV output with this UMD movie might not have tunred out the way it did as it would no longer be limited to just watchig it on the psp.  This would have also been nice for games as well as any videos or movies u want to store on ur psp for play back later on ur TV.

oh will i can always hope that the psp2 will include these and at least the games are good.  its Kinda wasted potientul if u think about it my zen vision:M has all those except the big screen but trust me having a bigger screen isn;t always better. 

TheCheat23k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheCheat23k
Member since 2004 • 1240 Posts

The only problem I have with the PSP is that it doesn't play .avi or .mpg.  If it played those two, I'd be more than happy with everything video related.  A harddrive would just kill the PSP's battery even quicker and make the price of the PSP a LOT more expensive.  With 8gb memory sticks out now, and 16gb-32gb sticks coming out somewhere down the line, there will be no problem with storage. 

Also, outputting the video to TV may not look as good as you'd think it would unless it was on a smaller television.  No one is going to want to watch movies that are encoded at small resolutions compared to the televisions they are watching them on.  Maybe you were just expecting too much...developers are getting better and better with technology as time goes on...and maybe someday in the future a new device, whether it be a PSP2 or something else will be able to play games/vids/music etc all with the best features ;)  The PSP is by far the best multi-functional device around though...but best for games. 

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 johnny27

The only problem I have with the PSP is that it doesn't play .avi or .mpg. If it played those two, I'd be more than happy with everything video related. A harddrive would just kill the PSP's battery even quicker and make the price of the PSP a LOT more expensive. With 8gb memory sticks out now, and 16gb-32gb sticks coming out somewhere down the line, there will be no problem with storage.

Also, outputting the video to TV may not look as good as you'd think it would unless it was on a smaller television. No one is going to want to watch movies that are encoded at small resolutions compared to the televisions they are watching them on. Maybe you were just expecting too much...developers are getting better and better with technology as time goes on...and maybe someday in the future a new device, whether it be a PSP2 or something else will be able to play games/vids/music etc all with the best features ;) The PSP is by far the best multi-functional device around though...but best for games.

TheCheat23k

true they getting close to 30G sticks but that will take a while and will take even longer for the price to go down and by then 30G will be considered small. as for the the TV out put thing true video would look bad on a high res hd TV but on a old non hd TV it would actually look pretty good ecpecially if they allowed for play back of video of higher resolution of 640X480 on the psp then it would be DVD quality video output.  

Splash-Bar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Splash-Bar
Member since 2007 • 161 Posts

well i think that HD would be a waste... there probably wouldn't be much of a difference just visually and the price would skyrocket. And... can u even stuff a 1080p/i processor in a PSP? don't think so.. Plus, the LCD might be even slower as well, because of the fast production-rate.

I'll bet they also make a port for PSP to TV. And, there's always that japanese UMD player sony announced, if you have such a strong urge to watch your UMDs on the TV rather than that comfy, private PSP they were made for.

CyRu5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CyRu5
Member since 2005 • 1092 Posts

When i first got my psp and popped in the umd demo i was amazed at the large screen and how high quality it was, couldn't wait to put some of my own videos on it. but thats where experience turns bad.

1.There is no hard drve -_- turns out the biggest i could get at the time was a 1G stick at some outrageous price. Honestly they advertised the psp as a multy media device and give it a nice big screen but dont put a HD in and make rip u off with the sticks I got a 1G on ebay for cheap but still i couldn't even store one anime series on it even with the quality turned down.

2.Multiple video codec support /higher video resolution support. MP4 is nice but having to convert is a pain in the ass not so bad for one but when u wwant to convert 25 50 or even 100 video files thats where the problem lies and having to lower my video to a lower resolution means i cant just delete the originals or else i'm left with lower quality video.

3. no TV output with this UMD movie might not have tunred out the way it did as it would no longer be limited to just watchig it on the psp. This would have also been nice for games as well as any videos or movies u want to store on ur psp for play back later on ur TV.

oh will i can always hope that the psp2 will include these and at least the games are good. its Kinda wasted potientul if u think about it my zen vision:M has all those except the big screen but trust me having a bigger screen isn;t always better.

johnny27

The hard drive would have added considerably to the cost. It was already $250 at launch.  But, yes, it would be very nice, and i'd be willing to pay an extra *thinks* $100 for 30gb or so

i agree with the codec support. It's quite horrible. only mp4. and to add to the confusion, some videos only work properly in the 100anv01 or 100mnv01 folders, and some will only work in the VIDEO folder. some just won't work at all, regardless of being the proper resolution, bitrate, codec, etc. They really need to improve it. They have somewhat, by now letting us use 480x272 and 720x480 mp4 vids, but the decoder still needs improvement. PSP Video 9 is a good program, easy to use, but i agree it's still a hassle to have to convert everything to mp4

I agree with you on the tv-out. There's actually another thread about that already.

it's nice to see another satisfied Zen Vision M owner. I have one too. Other than screen size, the  Zen has all the "fixes" you mention here. And there is a widescreen model, with a screen that matches the PSP screen. The screen is the same size and resolution, and it's easier to read in the sunlight. 30gb and 60gb models. I was very close to getting this one instead of the M model.

ChesterTheWorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ChesterTheWorm
Member since 2007 • 175 Posts

Ridiculous!!!!!

#1: Hard drives are prone to proplems compared to Pro Duo cards

#2:with mpeg4 i could put 12GB on one 8GB mem card (over that actually-mpeg1 compared to mpeg 4)

#3:i agree on the T.V. output but they should make something like myvu (glasses) then & only then will the PSP be a truly Personal video play easily

So the PSP is is the greatest 16 million color *CHEAP* PMP on the market not to mention you dont got the HDD as it is better to go with the flash drive do to the absolute reliability of that card.

most of the time like maybe 60% of the time im watching videos off my PSP so please dont underestimate the PSP as a PMP.

P.S. viral vidoes and nothing over 10 minutes & youll see what i mean.

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
It sounds like you should have bought a portable DVR rather than a PSP. ....I believe some of the 100GB models are around $200 these days.   
Ojstillfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Ojstillfly
Member since 2006 • 240 Posts
psp wasntmeant for just videos so hes right portable dvr woulda been better for you, besides ive never heard anyone complaining about ipod videos with there tiny screens and mp4 only formats so why complain about psp with its nice big screen, capability to surf the web, play games, listen to music, etc.
karlgauci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 karlgauci
Member since 2005 • 5504 Posts
I think they won't make A PSP with a built in HDD because memorysticks makes them money
jasonbesto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 jasonbesto
Member since 2007 • 754 Posts
I just use mine for gaming.
johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 johnny27
[QUOTE="johnny27"]

When i first got my psp and popped in the umd demo i was amazed at the large screen and how high quality it was, couldn't wait to put some of my own videos on it. but thats where experience turns bad.

1.There is no hard drve -_- turns out the biggest i could get at the time was a 1G stick at some outrageous price. Honestly they advertised the psp as a multy media device and give it a nice big screen but dont put a HD in and make rip u off with the sticks I got a 1G on ebay for cheap but still i couldn't even store one anime series on it even with the quality turned down.

2.Multiple video codec support /higher video resolution support. MP4 is nice but having to convert is a pain in the ass not so bad for one but when u wwant to convert 25 50 or even 100 video files thats where the problem lies and having to lower my video to a lower resolution means i cant just delete the originals or else i'm left with lower quality video.

3. no TV output with this UMD movie might not have tunred out the way it did as it would no longer be limited to just watchig it on the psp. This would have also been nice for games as well as any videos or movies u want to store on ur psp for play back later on ur TV.

oh will i can always hope that the psp2 will include these and at least the games are good. its Kinda wasted potientul if u think about it my zen vision:M has all those except the big screen but trust me having a bigger screen isn;t always better.

CyRu5

The hard drive would have added considerably to the cost. It was already $250 at launch. But, yes, it would be very nice, and i'd be willing to pay an extra *thinks* $100 for 30gb or so

i agree with the codec support. It's quite horrible. only mp4. and to add to the confusion, some videos only work properly in the 100anv01 or 100mnv01 folders, and some will only work in the VIDEO folder. some just won't work at all, regardless of being the proper resolution, bitrate, codec, etc. They really need to improve it. They have somewhat, by now letting us use 480x272 and 720x480 mp4 vids, but the decoder still needs improvement. PSP Video 9 is a good program, easy to use, but i agree it's still a hassle to have to convert everything to mp4

I agree with you on the tv-out. There's actually another thread about that already.

it's nice to see another satisfied Zen Vision M owner. I have one too. Other than screen size, the Zen has all the "fixes" you mention here. And there is a widescreen model, with a screen that matches the PSP screen. The screen is the same size and resolution, and it's easier to read in the sunlight. 30gb and 60gb models. I was very close to getting this one instead of the M model.

nice to see some one agreing with me on this i'm suprised people are against the hard drive flash may be more reiliable but hard drives offer more memory capicity compared to the price. True it would have raised the price by about a 100$ but they could have at least made an external hard drive for it so people who want it can buy it. 

The psp is still an amazing mutli media device with alot of pontiental but its really only good at gaming and the web browsing is a nie feature.

But it doesn't really matter now as my ZEN m satifies all my video and music needs and my psp remains soley a gaming machine