The PS3 price competition!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

njpj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 njpj
Member since 2007 • 169 Posts
First of all this is no bashing thread, but which country got the most expensive PS3? I'm kinda curious since it's a expensive piece of hardware, but in my opinion well worth the money. So tell me what you payed or will have to pay!

I will pay 950 US dollars for my PS3 this friday at launch in Sweden.

NOTE that other things here is more expensive aswell, since the price has to fit the market, and that includes the X thingy.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
I think it was New Zealand or the Netherlands. Some place like that where the price was like $1000. It's not worth $600 at this point. If people were smart, they would just wait for the price to drop instead of complaining about it. That's what I'm doing anyway.
04JETTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 04JETTA
Member since 2005 • 5769 Posts
i hear its $2000 in S. Korea
Segitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Segitz
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts
Its NZ, Netherlands is afaik 600€, just the the "real" rest of mainland Europe (Spain, Germany, France...) So 600€ for me, plus 60€ Motorstorm on friday!

(I'm from Germany, btw)
jdang307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jdang307
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts
You can't just do a Foreign Exchange conversion and declare it "expensive" or "cheap" relative to each country. $1 doesn't buy the same thing in different countries when converted to the native currency. You have to compare purchasing power to a basket of goods to get an idea if it is "more expensive" in another country.
mikeslemonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mikeslemonade
Member since 2006 • 3624 Posts
I think it was New Zealand or the Netherlands. Some place like that where the price was like $1000. It's not worth $600 at this point. If people were smart, they would just wait for the price to drop instead of complaining about it. That's what I'm doing anyway.blackace

Neither is 360 that is $750 or Wii $450.  Remember, if the PS3 is $1000 then the two other systems will be the same cost in porpotion.
big_smoke_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 big_smoke_666
Member since 2005 • 871 Posts
I get mine for $1000 aussie dollars but newzealanders have to pay $1200 or something like that 
njpj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 njpj
You can't just do a Foreign Exchange conversion and declare it "expensive" or "cheap" relative to each country. $1 doesn't buy the same thing in different countries when converted to the native currency. You have to compare purchasing power to a basket of goods to get an idea if it is "more expensive" in another country.jdang307

Of course we can since it's electronics we're specifying. If you're american you simply would had to bring up 950 bucks for a piece of PS3 in sweden, therefore it's more expensive here, the price is ofcourse justified to us as swedish buyers, true but it's still more expensive. I wrote a note that the price has to fit the market aswell to declare the diffrences between diffrent markets. But the bottomoline is that if I bought the PS3 in US i would be paying roughly the same amount as we pay for a X360 premium.
matttrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 matttrd
Member since 2004 • 5076 Posts
[QUOTE="jdang307"]You can't just do a Foreign Exchange conversion and declare it "expensive" or "cheap" relative to each country. $1 doesn't buy the same thing in different countries when converted to the native currency. You have to compare purchasing power to a basket of goods to get an idea if it is "more expensive" in another country.njpj

Of course we can since it's electronics we're specifying. If you're american you simply would had to bring up 950 bucks for a piece of PS3 in sweden, therefore it's more expensive here, the price is ofcourse justified to us as swedish buyers, true but it's still more expensive. I wrote a note that the price has to fit the market aswell to declare the diffrences between diffrent markets. But the bottomoline is that if I bought the PS3 in US i would be paying roughly the same amount as we pay for a X360 premium.

Out of interest why is the price justified to you as Swedish buyers?
urazn13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 urazn13
Member since 2007 • 178 Posts
I got my 60GB for $250 with no online offers, 100% legally from a store :P
njpj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 njpj
[QUOTE="njpj"][QUOTE="jdang307"]You can't just do a Foreign Exchange conversion and declare it "expensive" or "cheap" relative to each country. $1 doesn't buy the same thing in different countries when converted to the native currency. You have to compare purchasing power to a basket of goods to get an idea if it is "more expensive" in another country.matttrd

Alot of reasons, it's to time consuming explaining exactly why, but 950 bucks for us is like 600 bucks for a american (I belive Sony uses the same pricetranslation as MS, 400$ = 400€ = 4000SEK), the last years our currency has become stronger and the dollar has gone down in price, therefore things for us in the US has become cheaper but our own market haven't changed, and is adjusted to other markets.
matttrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 matttrd
Member since 2004 • 5076 Posts
[QUOTE="matttrd"][QUOTE="njpj"][QUOTE="jdang307"]You can't just do a Foreign Exchange conversion and declare it "expensive" or "cheap" relative to each country. $1 doesn't buy the same thing in different countries when converted to the native currency. You have to compare purchasing power to a basket of goods to get an idea if it is "more expensive" in another country.njpj

Alot of reasons, it's to time consuming explaining exactly why, but 950 bucks for us is like 600 bucks for a american (I belive Sony uses the same pricetranslation as MS, 400$ = 400€ = 4000SEK), the last years our currency has become stronger and the dollar has gone down in price, therefore things for us in the US has become cheaper but our own market haven't changed, and is adjusted to other markets.

Ok I see where your coming from thanks for taking the time to reply.
jdang307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jdang307
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts
[QUOTE="jdang307"]You can't just do a Foreign Exchange conversion and declare it "expensive" or "cheap" relative to each country. $1 doesn't buy the same thing in different countries when converted to the native currency. You have to compare purchasing power to a basket of goods to get an idea if it is "more expensive" in another country.njpj

It's not though. You don't get my point. Hypothetically speaking, let's say a PS3 in america costs $600, which it does, and an LCD costs $1000, and the average salary is $40k. You go to XXX country a PS3 costs $950, the same LCD TV costs $1350 and the average salary is $55k. See, technically I would have had to bring $950US to this hypothetical country to buy a PS3 but that doesn't make it more "expensive" its right in line with a basket of goods and average salary. The above numbers are all hypothetical but I use them to illustrate my point you have to look at more then just foreign exchange conversion rates.
queenster08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 queenster08
Member since 2005 • 859 Posts

I heard if you visit the moon it will cost $500,000.  I think I will stay here on earth! 

J/K; who cares, if you want it get it!

Pariah_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pariah_001
Member since 2003 • 4850 Posts
Alot of reasons, it's to time consuming explaining exactly why, but 950 bucks for us is like 600 bucks for a american (I belive Sony uses the same pricetranslation as MS, 400$ = 400€ = 4000SEK), the last years our currency has become stronger and the dollar has gone down in price, therefore things for us in the US has become cheaper but our own market haven't changed, and is adjusted to other markets. njpj

Swedish currency hasn't really gotten much stronger. I don't think you're factoring in the proportion of your economy.
rifkib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rifkib
Member since 2006 • 92 Posts

$500 USD in Hong Kong. But i live in Australia...... O-SHI-