The Nerve of Square Enix

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yung_slym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 yung_slym
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts
Just so Im clear ont he matter. First they make final fantasy multi platform. Then they make their first game for the 360 and they make it exclusively for the 360. What is the RPG world coming to? Remeber the good old days of Squaresoft....:) Nostalgic
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts
Yeah back in the SNES days.... aaaah those days will never come back.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts
Square started sucking hard when they took "soft" and replaced it with "-Enix."
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
Square hasn't been good since FF9 in my eyes. The last two gens have been a disgrace to everything that came before them. Merging with Enix just seems to further crapified everything else. I hope they prove me wrong and redeem themselves with XIII & Versus. They look like they have potential (well Versus anyways).
Delsage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Delsage
Member since 2004 • 3355 Posts
I miss Squaresoft. :(
AllCalibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 AllCalibur
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts

Square hasn't been good since FF9 in my eyes. The last two gens have been a disgrace to everything that came before them. Merging with Enix just seems to further crapified everything else. I hope they prove me wrong and redeem themselves with XIII & Versus. They look like they have potential (well Versus anyways).Ket87

Agreed! FFX and FFXII just didnt do it for me. Didnt even finish FFXII and FFX was just a one long path with same puzzle over and over again (wierd looking one too).

InspiringTouch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 InspiringTouch
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts
It was the first Final Fantasy movie that completely messed things up for them. And there weird ability to try and improve perfection and in doing so makes it worse.
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

[QUOTE="Ket87"]Square hasn't been good since FF9 in my eyes. The last two gens have been a disgrace to everything that came before them. Merging with Enix just seems to further crapified everything else. I hope they prove me wrong and redeem themselves with XIII & Versus. They look like they have potential (well Versus anyways).AllCalibur

Agreed! FFX and FFXII just didnt do it for me. Didnt even finish FFXII and FFX was just a one long path with same puzzle over and over again (wierd looking one too).

Wow thats exactly how I felt about X as well haha. They should have called the game "The Only Road in Spira" because you walked down one road the whole game, go into a dungeon do the same repetitive puzzles, then go back onto the road.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

[QUOTE="Ket87"]Square hasn't been good since FF9 in my eyes. The last two gens have been a disgrace to everything that came before them. Merging with Enix just seems to further crapified everything else. I hope they prove me wrong and redeem themselves with XIII & Versus. They look like they have potential (well Versus anyways).AllCalibur

I strongly disagree about FFX the game was great and all, I agree about FFXII it is the only FF game that I didn't like its story and I really didn't know who the main chracter was.

GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts
I haven't touched a Square Enix game since FF9. Wonder if there can be a reverse merger? Here's a drink for hoping :).
ChrisDESTROY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChrisDESTROY
Member since 2006 • 183 Posts
i liked FFX myself, but FFXII was rubbish. everything about it was just awful. and people shouldn't slag off Enix so much, Dragon Quest VIII is really good
shabazz5th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shabazz5th
Member since 2004 • 648 Posts
I think the worst FF game that I've played had to be FFX-2 hands down! Seriously, all it had to offer was playing as women and playing "dress-up," with their various costumes. I'm ashamed that I even beat it.
BlueTsujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BlueTsujin
Member since 2008 • 162 Posts
The only thing I liked about FF X-2 was the battle system, I liked that you could change your class in the middle of battle. Story was pretty lame though, totally not worth beating it with 100%(but I did it anyways) :)
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts
[QUOTE="AllCalibur"]

[QUOTE="Ket87"]Square hasn't been good since FF9 in my eyes. The last two gens have been a disgrace to everything that came before them. Merging with Enix just seems to further crapified everything else. I hope they prove me wrong and redeem themselves with XIII & Versus. They look like they have potential (well Versus anyways).Star650

I strongly disagree about FFX the game was great and all, I agree about FFXII it is the only FF game that I didn't like its story and I really didn't know who the main chracter was.

i agree with star650 , final fantasy X was really good , i loved it and played 3 times :P i also liked ffx-2 but was kinda girly lol .. i agree with all of you about FFXII i didnt like it but still i bought it and thinkning about buying a guid so i could see the ending :P

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
[QUOTE="AllCalibur"]

[QUOTE="Ket87"]Square hasn't been good since FF9 in my eyes. The last two gens have been a disgrace to everything that came before them. Merging with Enix just seems to further crapified everything else. I hope they prove me wrong and redeem themselves with XIII & Versus. They look like they have potential (well Versus anyways).Ket87

Wow thats exactly how I felt about X as well haha. They should have called the game "The Only Road in Spira" because you walked down one road the whole game, go into a dungeon do the same repetitive puzzles, then go back onto the road.

LOL I remember that. I was also pissed there was no airship till the end of the game and you couldn't even fly the damn thing.

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

Once a cheater, always a cheater.

They jumped ship from Nintendo, what made you so sure they'd never do it again?

Edit: Whoa what's with the FFX bashing, that was a damn good game!

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
The story was ok, but it just lacked A LOT lol
jonny2202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jonny2202
Member since 2007 • 131 Posts
To be honest I loved X, my 3rd best FF game after FFVII and FFVIII. But to the point I really don't like all these new battle systems. FFXII was just a failure, Crisis Core was amazing, amazing story, amazing music and lots and LOTS of side quests, but if it had an old turn-based system like X and before it it would have got 10 here on GS instead of 9. The battle system wasn't THAT bad but it just isnt for Final Fantasy. I hope they make the new battle system good for XIII and I hope even more they don't do it like The Last Remnant, that system looks rubbish. But I will deffinitely get XIII and possibly TLR regardless of battle systems just for the great old Square (/Enix) stories.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what "nerve" you're talking about. Was Square better or worse after the merger with Enix? That's debatable. But, making FF13 multiplatform is just good business sense. With the huge production values of games like these they need the sales to offset the cost. I don't see it as that much of a problem. It just means that more people get to play a (hopefully) great game.
vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts
Sqauresoft>>>>Square enix
socomn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 socomn00b
Member since 2007 • 633 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what "nerve" you're talking about. Was Square better or worse after the merger with Enix? That's debatable. But, making FF13 multiplatform is just good business sense. With the huge production values of games like these they need the sales to offset the cost. I don't see it as that much of a problem. It just means that more people get to play a (hopefully) great game.Canvas_Of_Flesh
QFT
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

They jumped ship from Nintendo, what made you so sure they'd never do it again?

Mau-Justice

Co-Sign

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

To be honest I loved X, my 3rd best FF game after FFVII and FFVIII. But to the point I really don't like all these new battle systems. FFXII was just a failure, Crisis Core was amazing, amazing story, amazing music and lots and LOTS of side quests, but if it had an old turn-based system like X and before it it would have got 10 here on GS instead of 9. The battle system wasn't THAT bad but it just isnt for Final Fantasy. I hope they make the new battle system good for XIII and I hope even more they don't do it like The Last Remnant, that system looks rubbish. But I will deffinitely get XIII and possibly TLR regardless of battle systems just for the great old Square (/Enix) stories.jonny2202

I agree completely except for the favorites, I loved FF7, 9 and 10. And yea, Crisis Core was great.

I think turn based strategy is a keeper, we don't play RPG's because we want frantic action games. I think the best system of any RPG so far this gen was Lost Oddysey, it was great...Turn based, but it had a little timer circle, almost like a minigame that you had to play after you picked your attack. Based on your timing it could be a poor attack all the way up to a guaranteed critical hit. That's perfect to me, nothing brand new, but just enough to stay fresh while using an old formula.

As much fun as I had with Crisis Core, I wasn't a huge fan of the combat. Everything else was great though. My favorite part of RPG's is managing your parties and playing out different strategies in battle and the way you build your characters. Crisis Core had that lone wolf feeling, and it was lacking of any strategy to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts
First time I saw Square-Enix I thought it was a typo
babystapler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 babystapler
Member since 2005 • 1679 Posts

Meh... I've pretty much lost interest in JRPGs around the time of FFX anyway. After spending some quality time with games like Diablo II, Star Wars: KotoR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls: Morrowind/Oblivion and Fallout 3, JRPGs don't really hold my interest anymore.

As much as I loved FF6-10 and Chrono Trigger/Cross, Western RPGs have completely changed my preferences over the years. I still look back on those games with great nostalgia, but times have changed.

shikakrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shikakrinks
Member since 2005 • 451 Posts
FFX was good, i played it twice... but FFXII... wtf! when did squaresoft became squareenix again?
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Final Fantasy X was the last Square Soft JRPG, after that Square Enix took the flag.

I have yet to enjoy any of their JRPG's.. I'm looking at you FFXII :(

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

FFIX was the last great RPG from Square, FFX had obtrusive riddles and a very bad experience system, FFX-2 was unbalanced because of some costumes, FFXII is a solo MMORPG ...

And Mistwalkers getting away didn't do better : Blue dragon is childish and the poo named mobs are irritating, Lost Odissey stole many experience and combat systems to some FFs, Infinite undiscovery is so full of bugs ...

Let's hope Suikoden or Shadow hearts or Breath of fire come back to show what a good JRPG should be

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts
Square hasn't been good since FF9 in my eyes. The last two gens have been a disgrace to everything that came before them. Merging with Enix just seems to further crapified everything else. I hope they prove me wrong and redeem themselves with XIII & Versus. They look like they have potential (well Versus anyways).Ket87
agreed 100% ff9 was the last great FF rpg imho.
Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#32 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts
I loved the Kingdom Hearts series and FFVII series (Advent Children movie, PS game & Crisis Core) but I didn't like FFXII much at all, FFX I gave a 7/10 in one of my reviews.

Before there was something about the Nintendo Final Fantasy VS Sony Final Fantasy. Nintendo had FF - FFVI. Sony had FFVII - FFXII. Now it's ending out to be Microsoft Final Fantasy vs Sony Next-Gen Final Fantasy.
thanos723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thanos723
Member since 2006 • 871 Posts

this goes with what scianix said. ever since the enix merger...square has been the suck

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
I was pissed about it but Sony won't give them money and others will. It's a business.
ExtremeOne316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ExtremeOne316
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

I am glad Square Enix is now multiplatform. All you hardcore PS3 fans better get use to it  

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts

Woah slow down on the hate guys, FFX was a terrific jRPG, among the best on the PS2 and during that generation.  And FFXII may have been poopy by Final Fantasy standards, but I sure as heck loved the combat system, and the characters were well done (despite the poor story narrative which felt quite withdrawn from the rest of the Final Fantasy franchise).

And pretend FFXII isn't called "Final Fantasy XII', but was a new IP to compete against jRPGs of those times...

Suddenly, FFXII looks like RPG GOTY upon its release.  It's a great game in its own right, if you pretend it doesn't have an entire lineage of predecessors to live up to, both in  traditions and customs.

enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 enygma500
Member since 2005 • 3004 Posts

i actually really liked FF 10. the thing i really hated about it ws the lack of an overworld. but i liked the story ad thats why i play the FF's. vs 13 should be really great. im loving nomuras work so far, so i have nothing but high hopes for versus. 13 other the other hand i think could go either way. but in the end im going to own them both and play them through 100%. just like every other FF

njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts
yeah after KH they went blah
enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 enygma500
Member since 2005 • 3004 Posts

I loved the Kingdom Hearts series and FFVII series (Advent Children movie, PS game & Crisis Core) but I didn't like FFXII much at all, FFX I gave a 7/10 in one of my reviews.

Before there was something about the Nintendo Final Fantasy VS Sony Final Fantasy. Nintendo had FF - FFVI. Sony had FFVII - FFXII. Now it's ending out to be Microsoft Final Fantasy vs Sony Next-Gen Final Fantasy.Bioshockraptor

what are you talking about nintendo FF???all final fantasies were made by squaresoft or square-enix. they just changed consoles. i suspect them going to the 360 is just a chance to get more sales. its getting too expensive to makes games these days. especially huge games like FF. i know people will bring up oblivion and other suchs "huge games" but they're big in a diggerent way. FF has ALOT to it, in a smalller space.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
The nerve of Square? What about the nerve of me? Is it ignorant to state I enjoy the FF series, despite not having beaten a single one? (including Tactics and spinoffs) I think the move to multi-platform is again, just a business decision and nothing more. Although, when Kojima uses a double-layer Bluray Disc to full capacity and Square never mentions anything of the sort, it could say something for the product... Then again, past games have looked similar on both PS3 and 360, so maybe not. For me, the best FF was (no surprise) 7 only because the story. I hope they include an indepth background story during the game, which would tie in alongside current events, all the while keeping the player engaged. They don't need more/ longer cutscenes, just a clear focus of the main objective from the get-go (ex. hero is an orphan who decides to look for parents, but discovers along the way their evil and decides....)
PSfanboy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PSfanboy101
Member since 2008 • 1734 Posts

if square dont make KH3 a ps3 exlusive...

well lets just say they will all die from a 'godzilla' attack...yes...godzilla :twisted:

Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

To me, SE just have to keep their promise to go multiplatform. But now only 360 have SE game. Broken promise, multiplatform my a**. That's all

JKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JKusanagi
Member since 2005 • 815 Posts

Everyone is picking up on SE "since last gen", i liked Valkyrie Profile 2, Kingdom Hearts 2 and Dragon Quest VIII for PS2 A LOT, and i'm sure it will be the same with KH3, FFXIII and FF Versus XIII, The Last Remnant is coming to PS3, i'll get my opinion on it when it does.

Sure is bad SE has lots of projects for the 360 but hey, we keep FF Versus XIII as a PS3 exclusive and probably KH3 too, if that happens, i wouldn't mind about those not so good 360 exclusives

Delsage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Delsage
Member since 2004 • 3355 Posts
FFX was good, i played it twice... but FFXII... wtf! when did squaresoft became squareenix again? shikakrinks
FFX was the last RPG Squaresoft made before becoming Square-Enix, that is when it made FFX2, quite a big difference there huh? So as you can see the quality of the games between Squaresoft and Square-Enix right off the bat.
Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Final Fantasy VIII FTMFW!!!!

FF8 was the only true story that won me over...I mean Squall was just a lonely kid and grew up with out any parents or siblings whatsever...All of them were, just it just seemed to effect him more w/ his sis gone and gew up taking care of himself. Can't blame the guy for how he was... (Poor guy) The characters were HUGE! part in it and the gameplay was just a PLUS+++. Excellent thought out and well polished rpg; haven't played a game that truly won me over like it.

Remember the battle with Squall and Seifer. omg Balamb garden & Galbadia garden colliding was epic!, where Riona and squall in space (sad), or the Band you create for Squall and Riona was bada** haha I made some pretty tight beats... memba when Zell and the crew were put in prison and he finally figured out that he used his fist (to funny), memba Irvine's fake *ss when he thought he was the ish, but wussed out, memba Laguna, Kiros, and Ward LMAO!!! those guys were a trip, memba.... :cry:

Quistis was HOT!!! I think she hit on Squall a couple of times, but he shrugged her off I think....I woulda hit.

ido_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ido_x
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Squaresoft we miss you ! :cry:

Xenogears

Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9

Chrono Cross

Kingdom Hearts

Remember that companies care about money $$$$$ not the customers.

You are all little $ signs in their eyes.

I just don't mind being one as long as the games are good. :D

truegamer92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 truegamer92
Member since 2008 • 197 Posts
[QUOTE="Star650"][QUOTE="AllCalibur"]

finalstar2007

i agree with star650 , final fantasy X was really good , i loved it and played 3 times :P i also liked ffx-2 but was kinda girly lol .. i agree with all of you about FFXII i didnt like it but still i bought it and thinkning about buying a guid so i could see the ending :P

I also really liked FFX. In my opinion, it was the last great final fantasy game. Then they had to merge with Enix. I liked FFx-2 but only because it used some of the same locations from FFX.  FFX11 was so stupid.  It wasn't anything like final fantasy. It felt like square enix was making a completely different game and at the last moment decided to call it final fantasy.  Honestly, I've given up on square enix.  I don't think they can ever make final fantasy like it use to be. And why the hell did they merge with enix anyway!? They suck. 

Avatar image for bob_the_can_man
bob_the_can_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bob_the_can_man
Member since 2007 • 605 Posts

ive beaten all ff's, and i mmust say IX is my favourite.