This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChaosIncarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ChaosIncarnate
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts
Anyone else think this is junk? I mean, I can't really do anything new except look at messages and friends, and now I gotta dig through menu's to find something as simple as Quit Game. I haven't seen the other options yet. Is there more functionality planned for it?
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

Anyone else think this is junk?ChaosIncarnate

Not I.

I mean, I can't really do anything new except look at messages and friends, ChaosIncarnate

The most highly requested functions as well as the only ones pertinent to gaming thereby justifying it's "in-game" presence.

and now I gotta dig through menu's to find something as simple as Quit Game.ChaosIncarnate

No you don't, you can quit just the same as you always have by holding down the PS button.

I haven't seen the other options yet. Is there more functionality planned for it?ChaosIncarnate

In-game chat is in the works.

gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts
...The in-game XMB starts on quit game when you hit the button... What else would you want to do with it? Fire nukes? Cure cancer? Do the Irish jig?
Jared2720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jared2720
Member since 2007 • 2200 Posts

In-game XMB was a terrible idea from the start. I don't know why so many people were clamoring for it. All you need to do in-game is check messages, voice chat, and MAYBE access music. I say "maybe" because I'm not convinced it would be a useful feature at all. Game developers spend time on sound in their games for a reason. If you really hate the music that was used, just mute your television and listen to your stereo, radio, computer, mp3 player, etc... there's a million ways to listen to music now and most people have access to all of them.

Anyway, I guess I'm just ranting. In short, as I said, in-game XMB was never a good idea.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

What else would you want to do with it? Fire nukes? Cure cancer? Do the Irish jig?gekidami

Heck yeah! That would rawk!

danome01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 danome01
Member since 2008 • 211 Posts
there are a million ways to access music yes and one day ingame custom music is gonna be one of them and most ps3 owners have access ingame xmb
SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

In-game XMB was a terrible idea from the start. I don't know why so many people were clamoring for it.Jared2720

Most people were "clamoring" for it mainly to be able to check messages and friends list from in-game, it was a pain to have to exit a game just to see what someone wrote you. That is all they really needed to do. What else do you need to do while playing a game?

LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts

In-game XMB was a terrible idea from the start. I don't know why so many people were clamoring for it. All you need to do in-game is check messages, voice chat, and MAYBE access music. I say "maybe" because I'm not convinced it would be a useful feature at all. Game developers spend time on sound in their games for a reason. If you really hate the music that was used, just mute your television and listen to your stereo, radio, computer, mp3 player, etc... there's a million ways to listen to music now and most people have access to all of them.

Anyway, I guess I'm just ranting. In short, as I said, in-game XMB was never a good idea.

Jared2720

I agree.

They should have made a mini-XMB that only includes features that are actually available. Just have a few different things - the friends list including messages, voicechat and as you said MAYBE music. Since games already come with ingame soundtracks, it is almost pointless.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts
[QUOTE="Jared2720"]

LtColJaxson

I agree.

They should have made a mini-XMB that only includes features that are actually available. Just have a few different things - the friends list including messages, voicechat and as you said MAYBE music. Since games already come with ingame soundtracks, it is almost pointless.

i dunno about pointless. im glad there is a in game xmb all i really needed was to check the messages i got from friends. IN GAME.

because there are people in the world who have friends, who have a ps3 and write messages just to see whats up. yea in game music would be nice, but we're not there yet. so its better to hush up and be happy with what you got,i am.

DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts
I like the in game XMB so quit whining. If you don't like it, don't use it. And if you want the old quit menu, press the PS button down a bit longer.
LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts
[QUOTE="LtColJaxson"][QUOTE="Jared2720"]

supa_badman

I agree.

i dunno about pointless. im glad there is a in game xmb all i really needed was to check the messages i got from friends. IN GAME.

because there are people in the world who have friends, who have a ps3 and write messages just to see whats up. yea in game music would be nice, but we're not there yet. so its better to hush up and be happy with what you got,i am.

I don't use in-game music on my 360 because it usually ruins the ambience of the game.

Although it seems like it would be so good to have, most people wouldn't really use it if they did have it. That's why I think it is a good choice by Sony to just say - let the devs incorporate in-game music to their games. If the dev thinks it would be good to let the user have their own music - then do it. A game like GTA4 would be perfectly suited (although it doesn't for PS3) to have in-game music. It could play on the car radio... this is the type of in-game music I like. When it is actually in the game instead of just constantly playing no matter where you are.

ChaosIncarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 ChaosIncarnate
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

While checking messages in game is really nice, and a feature i wanted, putting in the entire XMB to do it is a bit unnessary isn't it? Although it was probably the easiest way to do it, which is probably why they did it. In game music is kinda silly, I have other ways of listening to music while i play my ps3, and I wouldn't in game anyway. Xbox users like to brag about the feature, but I've never known one to use it, so frankly I don't care if they ever add it.

Anyway they coulda just added a message feature to the original menu.