The Death Of My PS3 =(

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaquan14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaquan14
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts

My PS3 Had the YLOD yesterday after 2years of having it:cry:

I call sony and they keep sending me a stupid email...basically i gotta pay 150/BS

this may sound funny but do anything know wut i can say to sony to make them wanna give me a free repair?

i_need_help33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 i_need_help33
Member since 2006 • 411 Posts

YLOD = Yellow lights of Death????

WTH... i never knew we had an equivalent of the RROD!?!?!?

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET IT?!!! OMG

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts
You're out of warranty, what do you expect? Free repairs for life?
Jaquan14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jaquan14

im not sure how u get it

but i did research and they said 60 & 20gb ps3s has some defective thing inside it

sezzy5889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sezzy5889
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Not sure what you can do, ours died after 18 months of having it, we didn't have a box/receipt/and the warrenty had run out, we phoned sony up and they came out the next day with a brand new 60gb ps3 - FOR FREE!

Well in exchange for our broken one anyway, only downfall was it had out cod4 disc in which was never returned, and obviously we had to do all the updates etc and lost all our game saves as didn't back them up. but besides that, a free replacement totally worth it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#6 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
Blog this. I, and many others, are getting sick and tired of EVERYONE posting these crappy threads whenever their PS3 breaks........
Jaquan14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jaquan14
but i got the box and the receipt
RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RotaryRX7
Blog this. I, and many others, are getting sick and tired of EVERYONE posting these crappy threads whenever their PS3 breaks........hillelslovak
AMEN. TO. THAT.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

i actually got sony to fix mine for free. 2 years outta warranty:D

Jaquan14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jaquan14

how did u pull that off???

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ultraking
the first person i talked to was not helpfull at all. so i asked to speak to their supervisor. talk to him for about 30 min but they still wanted to charge me $150, so i asked to speak to his boss. the last person was very nice and offered to fix it for a 1 time good faith repair
Jaquan14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaquan14

iight cool imma try that ;)

thnx man

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ultraking
np man. just be polite when talking to them, it usually helps;)
Jaquan14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaquan14
dude what did u exactly say?
analog10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 analog10
Member since 2003 • 377 Posts

[QUOTE="hillelslovak"]Blog this. I, and many others, are getting sick and tired of EVERYONE posting these crappy threads whenever their PS3 breaks........RotaryRX7
AMEN. TO. THAT.

BOO HOO!!! Get over yourselves. Mine died and a made a thread SO WHAT?! This forum is FULL of crappy threads like the constant "should I buy game A or B?" type. This is thread and all that will follow are relevant as I'm sure people are interested in the current frequency of PS3 fatalities. Plus who reads blogs anyway?

On topic, when mine died I was told I needed to pay AU$315.00 for repair, stuff that so I sold all 36 games. Will get it "fixed" when GT5 comes out. Maybe...

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RotaryRX7

[QUOTE="RotaryRX7"][QUOTE="hillelslovak"]Blog this. I, and many others, are getting sick and tired of EVERYONE posting these crappy threads whenever their PS3 breaks........analog10

AMEN. TO. THAT.

BOO HOO!!! Get over yourselves. Mine died and a made a thread SO WHAT?! This forum is FULL of crappy threads like the constant "should I buy game A or B?" type. This is thread and all that will follow are relevant as I'm sure people are interested in the current frequency of PS3 fatalities. Plus who reads blogs anyway?

"Should I buy game A or B" threads are constantly locked too, so that doesn't mean that they're okay just because there's a lot of them.

There's 3 reasons why these types of threads are pointless:

1) They really don't pose any real discussion. It's mostly just people asking "why did this happen?" "what do I do?" "how do I fix it?" etc... All of which are questions that can be solved via SEARCH engines.

2) They can be fake. I can tell you I'm an astronaut and you can't prove otherwise. It's the internet. So that's why these "first-hand" accounts of YLOD situations are stupid to hear about, especially since it could just be a troll trying to make the PS3 look bad.

3) They have no correlation what-so-ever with the frequency of PS3 failures. A PS3 could die every 3 min for all we know, but these threads certainly hold no value in whether my PS3 will die next or not. Not to mention, I've learned through questioning the folks who post these threads that it's probably due more to user-error than anything. I clearly recall an incident not more than a few weeks ago where a user said he was on his 4th or 5th PS3, and this one was overheating just like the previous few. He showed a pic of his setup and said, "what am I doing wrong?" The PS3 had about 1" of space on either side of it to breathe, and the HDTV was right next to it. DING DING DING. Heat factory anyone?

analog10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 analog10
Member since 2003 • 377 Posts
[QUOTE="analog10"]

[QUOTE="RotaryRX7"] AMEN. TO. THAT.RotaryRX7

"Should I buy game A or B" threads are constantly locked too, so that doesn't mean that they're okay just because there's a lot of them.

There's 3 reasons why these types of threads are pointless:

1) They really don't pose any real discussion. It's mostly just people asking "why did this happen?" "what do I do?" "how do I fix it?" etc... All of which are questions that can be solved via SEARCH engines.

2) They can be fake. I can tell you I'm an astronaut and you can't prove otherwise. It's the internet. So that's why these "first-hand" accounts of YLOD situations are stupid to hear about, especially since it could just be a troll trying to make the PS3 look bad.

3) They have no correlation what-so-ever with the frequency of PS3 failures. A PS3 could die every 3 min for all we know, but these threads certainly hold no value in whether my PS3 will die next or not. Not to mention, I've learned through questioning the folks who post these threads that it's probably due more to user-error than anything. I clearly recall an incident not more than a few weeks ago where a user said he was on his 4th or 5th PS3, and this one was overheating just like the previous few. He showed a pic of his setup and said, "what am I doing wrong?" The PS3 had about 1" of space on either side of it to breathe, and the HDTV was right next to it. DING DING DING. Heat factory anyone?

I understand and agree with your points. I guess it is an emotional reaction when your PS3 dies and that is what compel-es people to make threads about it.

ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
At the same time if u see what the topic is dont click on it and read. Did u think this was gonna be a topic of a new killer game? He just wants some answers. Just use the search engine. That should of been the only thing typed. Of course im sure he new about the search engine. He prolly just wants answers now.
btf504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 btf504
Member since 2005 • 255 Posts

Noone is obligating you to click these threads. If you're tired of them, just pass over them. He's obviously just looking from some immediate help from what he thinks is a knowledgable base of PS3 users. No need to be a jerk about it.

Anyway, I have seen people post they were able to talk to supervisors and get their PS3 fixed for free post warranty. I've never done it myself, but I have been able to do that with my cell phone post warranty. You just need to keep requesting to speak with other people.

SCzOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SCzOwn
Member since 2008 • 207 Posts

Noone is obligating you to click these threads. If you're tired of them, just pass over them. He's obviously just looking from some immediate help from what he thinks is a knowledgable base of PS3 users. No need to be a jerk about it.

Anyway, I have seen people post they were able to talk to supervisors and get their PS3 fixed for free post warranty. I've never done it myself, but I have been able to do that with my cell phone post warranty. You just need to keep requesting to speak with other people.

btf504

I agree with him.

ch2423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 ch2423
Member since 2004 • 1978 Posts

Blog this. I, and many others, are getting sick and tired of EVERYONE posting these crappy threads whenever their PS3 breaks........hillelslovak

And I'm sick and tired of people like you who have to whine in these posts. Is your life so boring you have to go around and play mod? Maybe you should blog about how much you hate this and not post in the topics.

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RotaryRX7

He prolly just wants answers now. ez_moneymaker

Just because you want answers now doesn't mean you have to make a thread about it. Searching can get your answers quicker than waiting for responses.

btf504

See above comment.

Check this out guys, look at the 2 pages of results when I simply typed "YLOD" as my search here at Gamespot. The best part is, it literally took 2 seconds to find all of these sources for answers.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/search_results.php?search_text=YLOD&board_id=909102863&search_type=topic

And to the rest of you getting so defensive on people making these threads, yes, you're right. Nobody has to click on these threads to begin with, and sure, the topic is pretty obvious on what the thread consists of. But you know what? I'm still going to click each one of them and say the same thing. If I'm sick of threads like this, then you can be sick of people like me being sick of threads like this. But I'm not going to muffle my opinion because you think you're right and I'm wrong.

It's kinda like people on the freeway who don't move over and just float in the left lane but go 5mph under the speed limit. You're never going to stop it from happening, but that doesn't mean you can't be annoyed by it. :)