The Dark Souls lock on mechanic is a joke

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XxRefereexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XxRefereexX
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

I'm not one to complain´about games scores but a game with so many flaws like Dark Souls getting a 9.5 is ridiculous. The lock on mechanic alone is a 0.5 minus at least.

I smashed a controller just 5 minutes ago over it. You can get by somewhat as a melee but as a sorcerer it really messes things up for you. The Lost Izalith dinosaur lava things takes the cake for cheap.

I just keep dying because I can't get a lock on them for more than 1 second and they aren't the only instance where the lock on mechanic fails you miserably. "the game never feels cheap" is the biggest lie I've ever heard.

Not to mention the spell hit detection which will kill you way too ofte, you know when spells just magically goes right through an enemy, that's fun

xxxx this game so goddamn hard right now, been a while since something cost me a controller.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Works fine for me... Bummer you lost a controller though.. :(
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
no matter how angry or frustrating a game gets me i never smash anything. think about it i work my butt off to afford a DS3 or 2, just so i can smash it? i usually just turn off a game an play something else if it bothers me that much. although i do agree at times the lock mechanism is somewhat broken, but breakin a controller over it thats a joke lol. anyways all i can tell u is keep ur distance and just use ur sword or axe.
edthetinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 edthetinker
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts
Works fine for me. If a game is making you break things you should probably play something else though. I would recommend to people looking to buy this game to ignore the TC. The combat in Dark Souls is fantastic.
XxRefereexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XxRefereexX

Works fine for me. If a game is making you break things you should probably play something else though. I would recommend to people looking to buy this game to ignore the TC. The combat in Dark Souls is fantastic.edthetinker

I really like the game in general and most of the combat is fun but too much of the "difficulty" in this game comes from broken game-mechanics and handicapping the player.

These lava dinosaurs man, I sompliy canät keep a lock on them to hit them with s ingle spell

XxRefereexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XxRefereexX

no matter how angry or frustrating a game gets me i never smash anything. think about it i work my butt off to afford a DS3 or 2, just so i can smash it? i usually just turn off a game an play something else if it bothers me that much. although i do agree at times the lock mechanism is somewhat broken, but breakin a controller over it thats a joke lol. anyways all i can tell u is keep ur distance and just use ur sword or axe.JoKeR_421

I would if it was an option but I'm a pure int sorcerer, I can kills things fast as hell but I die in 1-2 hits. Usually a fair trade-off but in a place that virtually breaks the lock-on mechanic, it's not a fair trade-off at all.

I have a lower level melee character and he doesn't suffer as much because I don't always need the lock on but as a sorcerer it will cause you to die many many times.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Nothing wrong with the lock on at all.

Avatar image for SportsFanatic10
SportsFanatic10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SportsFanatic10
Member since 2005 • 1453 Posts

Your opinion =/= fact.

You may have a hard time with it, the game may not be for you. Just because you believe the lock on is "a joke" doens't mean everyone does. Trade it in before it because worthless.

Also, I just throw a pillow instead of a control. No damage, and no need to drop $50 on a new controller. Just a tip

XxRefereexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XxRefereexX

Was a tad of a very angry rant just there, may have gone a tad far in calling it a joke.

But the lock-on mechanism has more than a few problems. Nothing wrong with it at all simply is not true. I think even the gamespot reviewer did say

it could be problematic. It's just that it's even more so problematic for a caster who relies on it working, especially when you're a glass cannon and a missed spell

could really be the difference between livng and dying.

I really do like this game but it pisses me off severely at times. And it's not the difficulty because I don't actually find it overly difficult.

It's not an easy game but it's not as hard as it tried to be.

Problem is that the game IS cheap, it tries so hard to be difficult but in the end the game just relies on cheap tricks to kill you. It becomes trial and error which isn't really a challenge. It's just a test of your patience and resolve.

I'm at the final boss right now and I've really enjoyed the game as a whole but there has been instances where I've swore every curse-word (and made up some new ones) over it.

XxRefereexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XxRefereexX

Your opinion =/= fact.

You may have a hard time with it, the game may not be for you. Just because you believe the lock on is "a joke" doens't mean everyone does. Trade it in before it because worthless.

Also, I just throw a pillow instead of a control. No damage, and no need to drop $50 on a new controller. Just a tip

SportsFanatic10

You don't really associate the game with a pillow though and besides what gets thrown is usually the thing you re holding in your hand since it's usually a spur of the moment reaction that you regret 1 second later:P

strangestguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 strangestguy
Member since 2005 • 437 Posts

as long as you don't break your tv or a windows when you throw it lol. i guess it could be worse.

hXcShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hXcShock
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts

The game is hard and you have anger issues, therefore it shouldn't get a 9.5? lololololololololololol

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
I hear Barbie's Horse Adventure is more user friendly.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Just be glad there's even a lock on. It could be like monster hunter, which is even more unforgiving. Though, I do agree with ranged attacks the lock on could be better. This is especially true for crossbows (I have not yet used magic in Dark Souls) since bows allow you to actually aim freely while crossbows only let you lock on at such a close range that it's usually easier just to you use a longer weapon to keep some distance between you and the enemy.

Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
I haven't reached where you're at TC, but I can definitely relate to weak lock-on mechanic. It's got plenty of issues, just think of it as being more awesome when you triumph in spite of it. Demon's Souls wasn't perfect, but I don't remember thinking I had to fight against it.
edthetinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 edthetinker
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts
I haven't really worked with spell casting a lot in this. I'll have to make a caster to see how bad the lock on is with them. Melee characters do just fine though!
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"]no matter how angry or frustrating a game gets me i never smash anything. think about it i work my butt off to afford a DS3 or 2, just so i can smash it? i usually just turn off a game an play something else if it bothers me that much. although i do agree at times the lock mechanism is somewhat broken, but breakin a controller over it thats a joke lol. anyways all i can tell u is keep ur distance and just use ur sword or axe.XxRefereexX

I would if it was an option but I'm a pure int sorcerer, I can kills things fast as hell but I die in 1-2 hits. Usually a fair trade-off but in a place that virtually breaks the lock-on mechanic, it's not a fair trade-off at all.

I have a lower level melee character and he doesn't suffer as much because I don't always need the lock on but as a sorcerer it will cause you to die many many times.

i am too, but i dont have as much issue as ur stating, and to the point to break a controller
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

I feel that in Dark Souls, it is much harder (almost impossible) to switch the lock-on'd target without breaking it compared to Demon's Souls.

e.g. 2 undead soldier charge at you, you click R3 to lock on the one on the right, but the one on the left is approaching faster. In DsSouls I would tilt the right analog stick towards the soldier's direction and it would switch the lock-on. In Dark Souls it just doesn't work, and I have to click R3 twice to refocus.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who is experiencing this.

Anyway, there has been a couple of times where the camera was just plain mean (focusing on mosquitos in Blight Town grrrr), but mostly it is functional enough. Not perfect, but works alright.

BoxingTheStars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BoxingTheStars
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts

I'm not one to complain´about games scores but a game with so many flaws like Dark Souls getting a 9.5 is ridiculous. The lock on mechanic alone is a 0.5 minus at least.

I smashed a controller just 5 minutes ago over it. You can get by somewhat as a melee but as a sorcerer it really messes things up for you. The Lost Izalith dinosaur lava things takes the cake for cheap.

I just keep dying because I can't get a lock on them for more than 1 second and they aren't the only instance where the lock on mechanic fails you miserably. "the game never feels cheap" is the biggest lie I've ever heard.

Not to mention the spell hit detection which will kill you way too ofte, you know when spells just magically goes right through an enemy, that's fun

xxxx this game so goddamn hard right now, been a while since something cost me a controller.

XxRefereexX

sounds like your just butt hurt that you're having trouble and keep dying in a game where you are supposed to die tons of times

kenji_fujima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kenji_fujima
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
hey dude, i have the same problem for the first few hours of play, and after figuring it out I think you and I need not being frustrated. A lock switch mechanism does exist in the game (simply by using the right stick, as you know). Yes, the problem is, when you would like to switch the target, the two object MUST BE BOTH IN FRONT OF YOU AND AT THE MIDDLE OF YOUR VIEW (I guess it is about the middle one third area of the screen). And, yes, it is a great difficulty even for this game's difficulty setting. But you know that it is totally acceptable (if not good) to me since to me it does make sense that one fighting man can only focus on what they seen, and that is about the effective area of the lock switch mechanism. In this sense, I feel that the game developer does the right thing. Also, talking about the playability, I notice that in the globe there is many who shares their capabilities for not locking on the opponents. Yes, they might be expert, but i dont see that why we cant enjoy this game without a highly customised lock on function. Now I feel that I am used to it and can switch lock in many occassions. (of coz, I have not reached this most dangerous areas in the game yet, but even so, I will die many many times anyway :p) I hope for those who share the same frustration as we do will be relieved and could ultimately enjoy this wonderful game, at least I am now enjoying die XD