The best PSP RPG?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Emandudeguy (261 posts) -

I'm looking for an RPG or two for my PSP and trying to figure out what would be the best games to get. This can include PS1 classics, however, keep in mind, I already have Final Fantasy VII.

#2 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34367 posts) -

Not including PSP classics, I'd say Star Ocean: Second Evolution is the best.

#3 Posted by mf1986 (706 posts) -

FF: crisis core is fun. you will like it more if you have some ff7 knowledge. i didnt really have much and still liked the combat system and the visuals are in top 3 psp games.

#4 Posted by InsultToInjury_ (2219 posts) -
There are so many I think the PSP had a great range of RPGS. My personal favourites are: Crisis Core Valkyrie Profiles : Lenneth Phantasy Star Star Ocean 1 & 2 Breath of Fire III There is also FFVIII on the PSN which is deff worth checking out also. Unfortunatly some of the RPGS are quite hard to find now, I just hope The Tales series appears on the PSN one day.
#5 Posted by benleslie5 (8037 posts) -

FF VII: Crisis Core

#6 Posted by Lawgamer83 (107 posts) -

WRPG: Both Untold Legends

ERPG: Persona

#7 Posted by blacknight06 (1422 posts) -

Recommendation Thread.

#8 Posted by Megaman5364 (2912 posts) -

I'm looking for an RPG or two for my PSP and trying to figure out what would be the best games to get. This can include PS1 classics, however, keep in mind, I already have Final Fantasy VII.

Emandudeguy
Final Fantasy 8
#9 Posted by maxzx2 (140 posts) -

Half Minute Hero!

#10 Posted by pooyanh (937 posts) -
Crisis Core
#11 Posted by dude_brazil (53 posts) -
Crisis core. Psp has Breath of Fire 3?????Or is a psone classic?
#12 Posted by InsultToInjury_ (2219 posts) -
Breath of Fire 3 is avaliable on UMD and on PSN (well in the UK anyway).
#13 Posted by meconate (10476 posts) -

I have quite a few PSP RPG Games, but I recommend:
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Final Fantasy II
Breath of Fire III

#14 Posted by piranha_inc (1994 posts) -
I liked Brave story new traveler a lot
#15 Posted by wenzke (367 posts) -

If you are OK with strategy-RPG:

Jeanne D'Arc and Disgaea are excellent.

For more tradintional JRPG:

Honestly, I would play FF7 and Suikoden off of PSN until Persona 3 PSP comes out, but that's my opinion.

#16 Posted by jmg128thinfrgt (793 posts) -

DJ-Lafleur
Agree, also you could DL FF7 or FF8
#17 Posted by Tezerel (245 posts) -

Monster Hunter

haha does that count? Pretty sure it does. if that counts for you, get it man. haha and make everyone you know get it, you wont regret

#18 Posted by Shirokishi_ (11206 posts) -

Most are pretty good, I recommend Star Ocean: SE and Final Fanntasy Tactics the most, just stay far FAR away from Crisis Core.

#19 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -
Lovin' the remake of "Final Fantasy" on PSP... got the UMD for $10!!! : )
#20 Posted by munkeypoo45 (3220 posts) -

final fantasy 7 crisis core

popolo crois

#21 Posted by Luigi12901 (1243 posts) -

Most are pretty good, I recommend Star Ocean: SE and Final Fanntasy Tactics the most, just stay far FAR away from Crisis Core.

Shirokishi_

I personally disagree with you here. I dislike Tactics, but Crisis Core is awesome.

#22 Posted by eejus (243 posts) -

final fantasy 7 crisis core

popolo crois

munkeypoo45

Yes, PoPoLoCrois is actually pretty good.

#23 Posted by Ragnarok2887 (25 posts) -
Crisis Core is awsome for the PSP and FFVIII now that its out on PSN. Also Monster Hunter was quite good to play.
#24 Posted by dongabilondo (333 posts) -

Half-Minute Hero is amazing! Seriously, check it out.

#25 Posted by Ragnarok1051 (19999 posts) -

popolocroismunkeypoo45

Yes this is a fantastic game.

For your traditional RPG try Brave Story
For your imports Tales of Eternia and Breath of Fire 3 are very good.
For your Action RPGs both Star Oceans are very good.
For your Strategy RPGs Jeanne D'Arc and Final Fantasy Tactics are very good.

#26 Posted by TSNAKE617 (5494 posts) -

Action RPG with no story: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Action RPG: Crisis Core
JRPG: Persona 3 PSP when it comes out. (I really want an adaptation of Nocturne and the other SMT games for the PSP.)

#27 Posted by Ragnarok1051 (19999 posts) -

Action RPG with no story: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Action RPG: Crisis Core
JRPG: Persona 3 PSP when it comes out. (I really want an adaptation of Nocturne and the other SMT games for the PSP.)

TSNAKE617

I'd prefer them to remake them for the PS3. That way they won't have to strip them down as much as they're doing with Persona 3.

#28 Posted by Heartagram_03 (3556 posts) -

I have to say Crisis Core and Final Fantasy Tactics: War of The Lions if you're into turn based strategy RPG`s.

#29 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -
To you "Persona" fans - Is the fairly recent PSP version good or bad (saw a version for $28 in a big ol' box)? I have no history in the series, can I just pick it up or is it well into the characters and story? There seems to be so much of it I'm a bit daunted... but I've always been kinda intrigued by the series and I have read so much back-and-forth about the PSP version not being the same game or whatever... Help! Heh heh...
#30 Posted by Ragnarok1051 (19999 posts) -
[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]To you "Persona" fans - Is the fairly recent PSP version good or bad (saw a version for $28 in a big ol' box)? I have no history in the series, can I just pick it up or is it well into the characters and story? There seems to be so much of it I'm a bit daunted... but I've always been kinda intrigued by the series and I have read so much back-and-forth about the PSP version not being the same game or whatever... Help! Heh heh...

Do you mean the port of the first one? If so then NOOO. I hated it very much because of a high encounter rate, and just plain boring gameplay. It just didn't age well. However Persona 3 will be coming to the PSP this June and as you see by my sig I love it.
#31 Posted by junipax (25 posts) -
assasins creed...
#32 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -
Thanks for saving me the money, Ragz!!! I'll wait and take a look-see at P3.
#33 Posted by Ragnarok1051 (19999 posts) -
Thanks for saving me the money, Ragz!!! I'll wait and take a look-see at P3.MonkeySpot
I mean it may be for you but it wasn't for me.
#34 Posted by dovberg (3348 posts) -

The only thing I could honestly say is the PSone titles that I've enjoyed, Wild Arms Suikoden and FF8(you said you already have 7, if you didn't like it way back when you might be suprised to see how well it has aged

#35 Posted by xxxhellfirexxx (25 posts) -

i liked mana khemia,ffcc,ff7,8,9,breath of fire 3,final fantasy 1&2(old time classic's :P),brave story...that's all i know cant remember any..

#36 Posted by Hanzoadam (6576 posts) -

Phantasy star portable or Phanatsy star portable 2

Disgaea and Disgaea 2 are awesome too

#37 Posted by Ringx55 (5967 posts) -
Star Ocean 1 & 2, Kingdom of Paradise (older game) and Final Fantasy Crisis Core are the best imo.
#38 Posted by meconate (10476 posts) -
Haha, I actually completely forgot about Monster Hunter Freedom, and it's one of my favourite games on the PSP! Hahaha, yeah, MHFU is brilliant, worth every penny.
#39 Posted by viva_hate (2414 posts) -

Half Minute Hero!

maxzx2

Quoted for truth, good sir!

Also, avoid Crisis Core. Terrible game, relies way too heavily on luck, annoying one-dimensional characters... Stay away.

#41 Posted by cecaniah012 (25 posts) -
I think Hexyz Force is good..^_^..
#42 Posted by ThePerro (3103 posts) -

Ys Ark of Napishtim
Phantasy Star Portable 1 + 2
Crimson Gem Saga
Final Fantasy I + II Anniversary Edition
Brave Story

#43 Posted by Kurezan (1850 posts) -

Oh wow. Old thread revived.

I would say out of the ones I've played, Persona 3 Portable is my favorite.

#44 Posted by Coolyfett (5088 posts) -

DJ-Lafleur
What is the best experience that comes from the Star Ocean games?
#45 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6292 posts) -
Tales of Eternia or Valkyrie Profile Lenneth 2 games i logged over 40 hours in and made it literally to the final part of both games but never beat them :(
#46 Posted by LordUrv (25 posts) -
Crisis Core Final Fantasy Phantasy Star Portable 1 and 2 God of War Dante's Inferno Tales of the World Radiant Mythology All the Monster Hunter Games Gods Eater Burst Brave Story: New Traveler thats all i could think of at the top of my head. Hope you like them.
#47 Posted by Coolyfett (5088 posts) -
Brave Story was cute....Its actually the first RPG that Coolyfett ever played. The next one was Jeanne D Arc...both had the OMG moments that Coolyfett loves. Stil playing Phantasy Star which story wise is not good. What RPGs have the best stories??? Those are the good ones.
#48 Posted by Bubble_Man (3100 posts) -

My favorite is Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. It has a ton of replay value, plenty of sidequests and a story filled with betrayal and political intrigue. The many classes to choose from and customizable skills add plenty of depth. It's easily the best strategy rpg on the psp.

#49 Posted by genfireterian (25 posts) -

PSP has really good tactical RPG titles.

Tactics Ogre - Good storyline

Disgaea and Disgaea 2 - The humour is classic. It's so awesome that I admit going on YouTube just to rewatch some of the hilarious moments.

Jeanne D'Arc - The gameplay is unique, and the short movies that show in between stages are very nicely done.

#50 Posted by Mau-Justice (4907 posts) -

Crisis Core and Disgaea 1&2 top my list. Tactics Ogreis pretty awesome too.