Tales Of Xillia - My thoughts and a couple of questions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I'm not normally interested in JRPG games I decided to broaden my horizons a bit. I started playing this game last week and I'm really enjoying it so far. The battling is fun and the fact that battles aren't turn-based is a huge plus, and although the story is a bit cheesy at times the characters are quite interesting and the game has kept my interest!

I'm wondering if there are any similar games available for ps3 or 360? This is literally the first JRPG I've played in years so any recommendations given I wont have played.

Also can someone give me an idea as to how far I am through the game? I'm at the part where you leave Jude's hometown and Leia joins the party for good. I initially thought I was quite far through the game but the fact I got a trophy stating this was "just the beginning" has thrown me a bit!

Thanks in advance!

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

I'm a big fan of the "Tales Of" series, and there are a number of similar games you can pick up in this series. Theres Tales Of Graces F for the ps3 and Tales Of Vesperia for the 360 out now, of those 2 I'd recommend Vesperia the most. Theres also Tales Of Symphonia Chronicles and Tales Of Xillia 2 being released next year on the ps3. Symphonia is one of my favourite games of all time.

As for how far you are on Xillia, I'd say you're around 35-40% through the game, but that will depend on how levelled-up you are and whether youre playing as Jude or Milla. You're at the part where I thought the story begins to pick up a bit.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#3 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@I-AM-N00B said:

I'm not normally interested in JRPG games I decided to broaden my horizons a bit. I started playing this game last week and I'm really enjoying it so far. The battling is fun and the fact that battles aren't turn-based is a huge plus, and although the story is a bit cheesy at times the characters are quite interesting and the game has kept my interest!

I'm wondering if there are any similar games available for ps3 or 360? This is literally the first JRPG I've played in years so any recommendations given I wont have played.

Also can someone give me an idea as to how far I am through the game? I'm at the part where you leave Jude's hometown and Leia joins the party for good. I initially thought I was quite far through the game but the fact I got a trophy stating this was "just the beginning" has thrown me a bit!

Thanks in advance!

I would not reccommend Tales of Graces f because its overly cheesy to the point of being disgusting.

The only game that may be similar that I can think of is Ni No Kuni, but you may not like the battle system.

Nier is pretty good, Darksiders 1 & 2 (not a jrpg)

pikafan1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 pikafan1990
Member since 2013 • 59 Posts

i really wanna play this.. japanese games anime style are really cute :) i love battling up and meeting the characters

danjin44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 danjin44
Member since 2011 • 333 Posts

I know u might not like turn base RPG but I highly recommend Persona 3/4. If u liked characters in Xillia u would love, love the characters in both persona 3 and 4. Trust me u would thank me.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

If you like Xillia you'll love Vesperia on the 360.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@I-AM-N00B:

you know, i bought it the other day because it was 29 dollars on amazon and i have to say im still a little warry of the game after 8 hours

the dialogue is INCREDIBLY childish.... to the point where i honestly expect characters to say "awww gee im sorry, hugs?" when someone gets hurt. it is kind of blowing me away, because Vesperia was nothing like this. sure the art style was anime and colorful and the game had a sense of humor occasionally, but the story content was very dark and mature throughout most of the game. i am sensing none of that from Xillia, and im afraid it will ruin the game for me. the same thing happened with Ni No Kuni and i never finished it.... i just couldnt take the childish behavior of the characters and the lighthearted way even the villains acted.

please tell me the game picks up and gets more like Vesperia later? none of the Tales games have been anywhere near this childish even at the start... and seriously, a talking puppet? come on....

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@danjin44 said:

I know u might not like turn base RPG but I highly recommend Persona 3/4. If u liked characters in Xillia u would love, love the characters in both persona 3 and 4. Trust me u would thank me.

i find it hard to recommend Persona 3 to anyone.... it is boring.... like WAY boring. especially when compared to Persona 4.

Persona 4 though... phew... a complete masterpiece that every RPG lover should play.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@ Thanks for the suggestions guys! It seems there are quite a few games I've missed out on and overlooked this gen! I'll definitely look into the games mentioned above, in particular Tales Of Vesperia and I'm also intrigued by the fact theres a sequel to Tales Of Xillia next year.

@insanegame377 said:
As for how far you are on Xillia, I'd say you're around 35-40% through the game, but that will depend on how levelled-up you are and whether youre playing as Jude or Milla. You're at the part where I thought the story begins to pick up a bit.

Yes I've played through some more of Xillia yesterday and I'd say that would feel about right, as the story is beginning to gather pace now. I'm playing as Jude and I'd say I'm adequately levelled. I struggled to beat Jiao in the forest but since then I've levelled up and havent had a great deal of trouble since.

pikafan1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 pikafan1990
Member since 2013 • 59 Posts

im gonna try the tales series!